Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

First HPDE was a success!

I feel so much faster and more confident than I did when I started - night and day difference. It's crazy how fast the RS is when you let it really stretch out. It's also crazy how controllable it is, even after you do something dumb. The instructor had me keep the TC in sport mode, even though I told him it will let you really get the rear end out. Well, we did - first session of the second day, I had a really good line through 12 and was carrying a lot of speed, and I didn't get far enough in on 13. I overcooked it trying to keep in and ended up going into a powerslide. Luckily, I was able to recover pretty quickly (the instructor said he thought for sure we were going to spin out and go off). Was scary, but pretty drama free. Car did exactly what I told it to and didn't snap at all when it got grip back. Took my lumps from that one and really started focusing on keeping in and minimizing angle on those fast sweeping corners. By the end of the day, I really had the track down pretty well and was passing group 2 people left and right. Only person who passed me on the second day was a group 2 Challenger SRT.

Car handled it pretty well, considering it was 95 degrees out and super humid. Brakes didn't even come close to fading and I didn't have to replace the pads at all. Only problem I had was the oil would get really hot and the car would go into reduced power mode to keep oil temps down. This would happen like my 4th lap in when I was starting to get faster and the oil temps would be close to 300. I don't know if aftermarket oil coolers are a thing for the RS, but it feels like it needs one.

10/10, would risk life and limb again.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

300 degree oil is scorching hot, so change that ASAP. Otherwise, hell yes!

And yeah aftermarket oil coolers are definitely a thing. Worst case they can attach inline with your filter, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a neater solution for that car.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Geez thats like 148c, I thought mine topping out around 130 degrees before adding an oil cooler was bad. Definitely look into an oil cooler and some nice ducting to feed it, I ended up putting mine in the location for the standard intercooler so it has a nice feed of air coming in from a vent.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
welcome to the addiction

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Sith Lord at the track?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLP-xugxXU8

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
CMC car with a rookie plate, obvious outcome.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Soooo NASA just announced TREC - Team Racing Endurance Challenge - which you can compete in without a competition license or previous HPDE experience. Thoughts?

I, personally, cannot wait to be t-boned by a dive-bombing rookie with three HPDEs under his belt driving a '87 Mustang.

EDIT: vvv The last classroom session I had at a NASA event in the advanced group was 3 minutes of "hey you guys remember the flags, right? OK, good, well turn 11 is a little slippy outside today." followed by 15 minutes-plus of "Let's talk about moving up to TT and competition. Let's talk about being instructors. Be friendly to all the new people, act nice".

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 23, 2019

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I see that NASA is really trying to pump up membership, they also announced a Toyo tire contingency for moving between HPDE groups and on to TT.

Comp license doesn't mean a lot since (locally) it is just a physical and a day long class, but no previous HPDE experience is an ungodly weird choice.

e:

The Prong Song posted:

EDIT: vvv The last classroom session I had at a NASA event in the advanced group was 3 minutes of "hey you guys remember the flags, right? OK, good, well turn 11 is a little slippy outside today." followed by 15 minutes-plus of "Let's talk about moving up to TT and competition. Let's talk about being instructors. Be friendly to all the new people, act nice".

Our DE3 leader (Ravi Tomerlin) is a good dude that watches the group like a hawk and there are downloads after every session that are constructive.

Our DE4 downloads are like what you describe, along with the constant threat of you ignore a flag or you gently caress up twice in a weekend and you're gone, but mostly GET YOUR rear end TO TT, I NEED BODIES TO MEET CONTINGENCY NUMBERS

TT downloads are super chill and there are basically never problems.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 23, 2019

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

The Prong Song posted:

Soooo NASA just announced TREC - Team Racing Endurance Challenge - which you can compete in without a competition license or previous HPDE experience. Thoughts?

What are the car/safety requirements? This doesn't seem that much different from LeMons.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

NASA's website posted:

Intent
"A wise man once said, "I wanna go fast!" So... inspired by those words, we sat down with gallons of Mystic
Blueberry PowerAid and loaves of Wonder Bread, asked for blessings from little baby Jesus and came up with a
set of rules for all our brothers and sisters-in-speed to provide cubic fun for all without cubic dollars.

Sure sounds like LeMons to me.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Reading that rulebook and yeah, the atmosphere is a very lame attempt to match Lemons' vibe.

They're remarkably tolerant on modifications, the rules basically say "if we think it's out of hand we'll bump you up a class"

e- lol they put Miatas in the lowest class.

GD_American fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 24, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GD_American posted:

e- lol they put Miatas in the lowest class.

Where they belong.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KillHour posted:

Where they belong.

not sure if serious

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

not sure if serious

Absolutely serious. You realize Miatas are slow as poo poo, right?

Miatas being in 4 is the most un-lol thing in that horrible rule book.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

FatCow posted:

Absolutely serious. You realize Miatas are slow as poo poo, right?

Miatas being in 4 is the most un-lol thing in that horrible rule book.

idk, their classing here is all sorts of hosed up

e: makes it seem like it is based on lap time, but then base classes are listed, but wait unlimited mods and horsepower to weight reclassing and oh god what the gently caress is eve STATIC NOISE

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 24, 2019

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
And no min pit stop time, only 10 gallons of fuel per stop and no driver max stint.

Do piss bags count against my ballast limit?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FatCow posted:

Miatas are slow as poo poo

Yep.

Here is a comparison I just threw together of some cars you might see on the track, their power to weight ratios (HP/ton) and their 0-60 times.

Miata: 133 - 6.2
Veloster Turbo: 135 - 7.2
500 Abarth: 135 - 6.6
Sonata: 139 - 6.9
Civic Si: 142 - 6.3
Toyobaru Twins: 148 - 6.2
Fiesta ST: 149 - 6.9
Focus ST: 156 - 6.3
Mustang EB: 176 - 5.1
Veloster N: 181 - 5.2
Civic Type R: 196 - 5.0
Focus RS: 204 - 4.7
Mustang GT: 251 - 4.4

The car barely faster than a Civic Si isn't going to have an unfair advantage.

I threw the Sonata in, partially as a joke, and partially to further my point that anything above a 6 second 0-60 isn't fast

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

FatCow posted:

Do piss bags count against my ballast limit?

Hey guys, we want to introduce a competition sport where you're not, like, really supposed to try to win.

This will turn out amazing.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
What's funny to me is that power is the easiest thing to fix if allowed by rules. Try to cheaply / easily make the other platforms there light, or having decent suspension geometry.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

I don't see how the rulebook does anything novel, the management is different... and that's about it. AER is still probably the best out of the bunch.

Phone fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 24, 2019

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

mekilljoydammit posted:

What's funny to me is that power is the easiest thing to fix if allowed by rules. Try to cheaply / easily make the other platforms there light, or having decent suspension geometry.

They also lined the W:P up with the ST class rules, ST cars are not what anyone would considered lightly modified. With the exception of the lowest ST class they are all aero cars.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 25, 2019

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Turns out even autocross wheels can be consumables.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ah, the notorious dforce crack. That sucks.

You're replacing all four, right

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 3, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Crustashio posted:

Turns out even autocross wheels can be consumables.

Could be worse. Guy in my local group posted this

These are 6ULs. WTF.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
yikes on that ND

track or autox?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The car looks surprisingly undamaged, what a lucky bastard.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
track

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm going to both Chuckwalla CVR Star Car days later this month, just another heads up for incredibly low car counts and a lot of track time for $160 a day.
https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/star-car-cvrs-open-track-weekend-chuckwalla-valley-raceway-518739

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Wonder if they were some super old Gen2s. They tended to break.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

BlackMK4 posted:

Ah, the notorious dforce crack. That sucks.

You're replacing all four, right

Eh, next season with some Apex probably. A buddy had two 17x9 dforce off an E36 racecar that met an untimely end and I have 2 more events this season. None of the other wheels have cracks...yet.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
240 HP, 400tq. Manufacturer-rated ~7700lb towing capacity. AWD, adjustable air ride suspension. Bad idea for a tow car for a Miata, enclosed trailer and reasonable tools/spares?

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

The Prong Song posted:

240 HP, 400tq. Manufacturer-rated ~7700lb towing capacity. AWD, adjustable air ride suspension. Bad idea for a tow car for a Miata, enclosed trailer and reasonable tools/spares?

it will be able to pull it and stop it just fine, but in high cross winds the trailer will push the truck around and push you halfway into nearby lanes and you won't be able to control it. (ask me how i know........)

I had a 20' V nose enclosed, and my 2017 GMC 1500 with the 6.2 motor rated at 9200 lbs bumper pull really struggled. the v nose made load leveling hitches impossible, and cross winds pushed me around and you could not keep it in your own lane. Every 18 wheeler going past was scary as hell.

Trailer loaded up was probably ~8k lbs or so, and i ran with the truck empty in the bed, and loaded the trailer to center everything over its axles to reduce tongue weight, and it made minimal differences.

I upgraded to an f250 diesel, and towing is night and day. Now i can't even tell i'm towing anything half the time, its that stable even with bumper pull and no load leveling hitch.

Maybe if you got a 16 or 18' trailer, and a shorter overall height, mine was 9.5' tall, if you got like 7 or 8' tall to reduce the cross section it would be better.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Me and my pals are doing another private day at Waterford hills this week, I will be taking my turbo-swapped FiST as usual. Excited to see some progress, the car has evolved a bit since last year. Biggest difference is that I've got wilwood 6 pistons up front with DTC-60, rather than stock calipers w the same pad. I also swapped to a more aggressive rear pad, Hawk HP+. Ive got some RE71R on the car now as well, so this should all add up to a noticeable difference hopefully.

Just crossing my fingers for good weather at this point!

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I had my alignment settings changed and it fixed my RE71R tire wear issues. I feel extremely stupid, yet relieved.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I made a spreadsheet of the majority of currently approved FIA 8855-1999 seats from the FIA's awful PDF document. There are some some cheaper options from Bimarco, which is a Polish company, and a Taiwanese company (TRP).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RfEP5Qvk21YjuUs7UI-siI4aUDZmLS-XSbOXmZa3qRo/edit?usp=sharing

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Anybody going to be at Laguna Seca today for IndyCar? I’m headed over in an hour or two. It’s my first time watching professionals drive, as opposed to Lemons racing or grudge night at the drag strip. All I know so far is that I’m rooting against Ferrucci.

(Also, is this thread for people watching races, as opposed to driving? I would’ve been autocrossing instead, but I didn’t register in time.)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dadliest Worrier posted:

All I know so far is that I’m rooting against Ferrucci.

A good position to take. There's a thread in SAS full of mostly-good opinions.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
New RC1 compound is pretty decent, I could be smoking crack but they seemed to like less slip angle than the NT01 and really didn't recover once it got above 100f by afternoon. They also give an audible feedback when you step beyond normal slip angle, which is kinda nice (but obviously not really needed).

They would handle the normal 2-3 hot laps at the start of the session once temps were high, but it was slidey-slidey after that and backing off didn't seem to cause them to come back like the NT01 will. Slidey-slidey was still 2:01-2:02 range though.

I did manage a new PB at Chuckwalla CCW 1:59:77 and found consistency in the 2:00 area, though I think some of that is down to the 100lb increase in rear spring rate that I did as the car was much less pushy than before.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 22, 2019

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!
I am currently in the process of trying to get my Spec E46 race car down to weight. Currently 150lbs overweight. Going though it and removing everything I can while still remaining class legal. Pulled out the drivers side headlight and saw something odd:

3 pounds of marbles. At some point I must have picked up a rock or something on the tire and it punched a hole in the plastic wheel well liner. Will have to figure out how to prevent that in the future.

On a related note, anyone have non-projector halogen headlights for a 2002 330CI that they would be willing to trade for factory xenon projectors? The halogens are a few pounds lighter and I think I will need to find every pound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

BlackMK4 posted:

New RC1 compound is pretty decent, I could be smoking crack but they seemed to like less slip angle than the NT01 and really didn't recover once it got above 100f by afternoon. They also give an audible feedback when you step beyond normal slip angle, which is kinda nice (but obviously not really needed).

They would handle the normal 2-3 hot laps at the start of the session once temps were high, but it was slidey-slidey after that and backing off didn't seem to cause them to come back like the NT01 will. Slidey-slidey was still 2:01-2:02 range though.

I did manage a new PB at Chuckwalla CCW 1:59:77 and found consistency in the 2:00 area, though I think some of that is down to the 100lb increase in rear spring rate that I did as the car was much less pushy than before.

That's about what we've found. They're sharp, but overheat them and they don't come back without backing off. I much prefer the NT01 for W2W, it drives the same 2 minutes in or 2 hours in.

We also settled on pretty low pressures, MUCH lower than what the internet said. NT01 target is about 34-36 hot, RC1s we had down to high 20s. Started with what the internet said and it was awful.