Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Krankenstyle posted:

can I turn my chair around when we 'get real'?

yes, but if you have a cap you're obliged to wear it backwards as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

deal

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i usually work the situation like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5dJb2YG7vU

instead of cover sheets though it's things like keeping using appropriate ssl ciphers

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Lester speight is a god & all but

you need a culture of talking about security and being easy to work with so people want to get your help on security poo poo, not tackling a motherfucker if they have the temerity to want something that's not what you want

it's more work but it's how you get people interested in doing the right thing instead of hiding their minor fuckups until they become huge issues

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Trabisnikof posted:

you need a chill-sec person and a security kraken. follow the chill-sec advice and you won’t attract the worm

:coolspot:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Lester speight is a god & all but

you need a culture of talking about security and being easy to work with so people want to get your help on security poo poo, not tackling a motherfucker if they have the temerity to want something that's not what you want

it's more work but it's how you get people interested in doing the right thing instead of hiding their minor fuckups until they become huge issues

this 100%

being a security bad cop doesn't scale. you just end up with teams who go behind your back to get poo poo done rather than following the process and the more teams grow the more catch-up you have to play just to have a handle on what's going on, much less have the ability to remediate.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
it feels lame to post articles from the research group of my day job but everyone loves an AV fuckup right?

https://medium.com/tenable-techblog/comodo-from-sandbox-to-system-cve-2019-3969-b6a34cc85e67

quote:

The signature check was simply bypassed however by….wait…let’s see if you can see the problem. Here is CmdAgent.exe resolving the COM client’s process name to later invoke a signature check from disk:

(diagram showing call to GetModuleFileNameEx)

As you may know, GetModuleFileNameEx just queries the target process’ PEB->Ldr->InMemoryOrderModuleList for full image name. This is in our control of course and can be easily changed within our own process.
the article then goes on to use process hollowing instead of simply changing the executable name, for bonus points I guess

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
we have no security-focused engineers for a software product that's designed to sit in the middle of the network path and offload authn/authz poo poo from upstream apps

after several years, engineering has been convinced to stop storing admin credentials in plaintext (previously the rationale was that, if this was a concern for end users, they would encrypt database disk partitions)

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
can everyone list their companies that require 24+ character passwords? I have an uh janitorial company and I’d love to offer them our services for cheap

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
:catstare: https://blog.ret2.io/2019/06/26/attacking-intel-tsx/

quote:

From what we could discern, Intel’s TSX implementation does not enlighten the instruction cache to the transactional read-sets, write-sets, or elided lock values. When the instruction decoding pipeline fetches from the instruction cache, it does not trap to the active transactional memory sets.

[…]

So how does one ‘leak’ the 32bit key_X out of the instruction cache? You try to execute it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

that's wild as hell

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Intel TSX is such a garbage fire TBH, it was bugged in haswell/broadwell, side-channelled, and now this. It's not directly dangerous but I'm sure smarty pants will figure out way to further abuse it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

tbf TSX isn’t supposed to be a sandboxing mechanism

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

wasn't tsx the feature so lovely even lastpass stopped supporting it?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mark Ermolov & Maxim Goryachy have done a presentation on their newest work which will almost inevitably lead to secfuck in time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itml4Om5Q3Q

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
what could go wrong?

US attorney general William Barr says Americans should accept security risks of encryption backdoors

https://techcrunch.com/2019/07/23/william-barr-consumers-security-risks-backdoors/

quote:

He suggested that the “residual risk of vulnerability resulting from incorporating a lawful access mechanism is materially greater than those already in the unmodified product.”

The risk, he said, was acceptable because “we are talking about consumer products and services such as messaging, smart phones, e-mail, and voice and data applications,” and “not talking about protecting the nation’s nuclear launch codes.”

The attorney general said it was “untenable” that devices offer uncrackable encryption while offering zero access to law enforcement.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

what could go wrong?

US attorney general William Barr says Americans should accept security risks of encryption backdoors

https://techcrunch.com/2019/07/23/william-barr-consumers-security-risks-backdoors/

Oh good, everyone's going to have the backdoor to major financial channels. Good job, Willie.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

pro read

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

compromised expression schemes are hilarious because it’ll just end up with everyone but the US running the good stuff.
if you think you’re getting the EU nations on board after actively ratfucking them using Echelon and successors you’ve got another think coming.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

evil_bunnY posted:

compromised expression schemes are hilarious because it’ll just end up with everyone but the US running the good stuff.
if you think you’re getting the EU nations on board after actively ratfucking them using Echelon and successors you’ve got another think coming.

the eu already has their own intelligence agencies with backdoors why would they need the nsa’s

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
if they really mean backdoor in the encryption and not the app, then the minute the government says "you HAVE to use encryption scheme/cipher X", everybody and their brother is going to be going over it with a fine-toothed comb to figure out what the exploit is.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Vomik posted:

the eu already has their own intelligence agencies with backdoors why would they need the nsa’s

because you should always have a back up plan

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

if they really mean backdoor in the encryption and not the app, then the minute the government says "you HAVE to use encryption scheme/cipher X", everybody and their brother is going to be going over it with a fine-toothed comb to figure out what the exploit is.

it'll be something like dual-ec-drbg where it's only exploitable if you were the one that generated the parameters and know how they're related

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

what could go wrong?

this poo poo is infuriating

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

what could go wrong?

he should tell us his social security number then

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
nah it’s fine because the only people with the backdoors keys will be the nsa, and if you can’t trust the nsa to keep a secret then who can you trust?

I mean sure there was the Snowden thing and then all the leaked hacking tools but im sure they’ve learned their lessons and we can trust them to keep their backdoors secret, starting now

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.zdnet.com/article/remote-code-execution-vulnerability-in-vlc-remains-unpatched/ new day new vlc vuln

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
At this point it would be news if VLC did not have a vulnerability...

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

threat model: gently caress you

same as law enforcement backdoors tbh

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
all codecs are backdoored

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Holy gently caress

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

https://twitter.com/videolan/status/1153715138333220864

they're mad

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

:stare: I really have my doubts that MITRE failed to report that to them...

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Okay VLC is clearly a clusterfuck.

What are everyone's recommendations for the same level of "install it and forget about it" these days?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Install PotPlayer and get hacked by Koreans?

Edit: Looks like there was a similar CVE in PotPlayer for .wav file parsing last year, lol. My hunch is that any media application that handles tons of different formats is always going to be a secfuck because parsing is a secfuck and you can't support a ton of different formats and codecs without having a lot of parsers around.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 23, 2019

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

you can run the parsers in a restricted sandbox though

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

god I hope there's a disclosure timeline with receipts.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

lol looks like someone hosed up lads, LMAO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/phillipcaudell/status/1153239364283056128