Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Danke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
I decided to play Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition. What should I know. Any tips from the main game carry over? I haven’t played the full game.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Any tips for Supraland? Kinda surprised it isn't on the wiki.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

flatluigi posted:

Turn down shadows all the way. It doesn't make much of a visible difference, but for some reason it is the single greatest resource hog in the entire game. I went up a steady 20 FPS just from that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

flatluigi posted:

It's a game where you definitely want to look up often.

Also if you find yourself thinking "surely there's nothing hidden on this unassuming cliff I managed to platform my way up to" you're probably wrong.

Don't stress out too much about reaching stuff that seems way too out of reach, multiple upgrades will come that solve that problem.

Once you hit endgame you'll be able to buy chest and grave detectors that will largely remove the need to check any guides.

While the game gives you a surprising number of combat options, honestly the most effective way to kill things for 90% of the game is going to be :hellyeah: combos.

Oh, and don't get worried when you end up with one missing gold barrel. That's found in endgame stuff.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 18, 2019

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

flatluigi posted:

Surprised this is the first time I've heard of this, looks pretty neat.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

John Murdoch posted:

It's a game where you definitely want to look up often.

Also if you find yourself thinking "surely there's nothing hidden on this unassuming cliff I managed to platform my way up to" you're probably wrong.

Don't stress out too much about reaching stuff that seems way too out of reach, multiple upgrades will come that solve that problem.

Once you hit endgame you'll be able to buy chest and grave detectors that will largely remove the need to check any guides.

While the game gives you a surprising number of combat options, honestly the most effective way to kill things for 90% of the game is going to be :hellyeah: combos.

Oh, and don't get worried when you end up with one missing gold barrel. That's found in endgame stuff.

I'm guessing I should lean more to the 'explore but don't feel like I should exhaust everything' side of the 'wait for the end' vs 'do everything that you can think of' spectrum then, yeah

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

flatluigi posted:

I'm guessing I should lean more to the 'explore but don't feel like I should exhaust everything' side of the 'wait for the end' vs 'do everything that you can think of' spectrum then, yeah

Definitely. You'd burn out trying to find all the stuff if you attempted to clear each area as you reached it. Basically everything you can see in that game has something hidden somewhere.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
Just started playing Black Ops 3 recently. What things should I go for/avoid?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Supeerme posted:

The Firefly upgrade is so powerful that it borders on game breaking any time you are facing human enemies. I actually avoid using it just because it trivializes the game, so take it as you will.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Anything on the first Rune Factory?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Any tips for Pathfinder: Kingmaker? I've got familiarity with the PnP rules but are there any quirks to know for the game itself, including what weapons might be traps, feat-wise (Nothing beyond +1 for example)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Taerkar posted:

Any tips for Pathfinder: Kingmaker? I've got familiarity with the PnP rules but are there any quirks to know for the game itself, including what weapons might be traps, feat-wise (Nothing beyond +1 for example)
From what I've heard:

- Most of the bugs have been fixed, but you should probably still keep back-up saves.

- Expect to be required to have at least a moderately broken build fairly quickly.

- You're going to have several options for cleric companions already, so you probably don't need to make one.

I also found this, and am too lazy to just copy them over.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin. Previous bloodsouls experience includes Bloodborne (many years ago, was not very good at it), Dark Souls Remastered (couple months ago, finished it, loved it, GOAT). Was thinking of doing a 2h str build again cuz had a lot of fun with that in DS1. Anything else that's noticeably different in 2 that might catch me out?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Been a while, all I remember clearly is you wanna work on your Adaptability if you want your dodge roll to be worth a drat. Someone else will probably tell you about where to get it to.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Blunt damage is absolute king. Use a sword and spend 10 minutes whittling a large enemy down. Switch to a mace and watch them melt away in ten seconds. It's the one big pro-tip everyone will tell you first and it really is that imbalanced, at leasts at the beginning of the game.

Titanite is a lot rarer. You can't buy it until a fair distance into the game, so make sure you really want the weapon you are planning to commit to, because you're stuck with it for a while.

Stuff breaks much, much faster, but it also auto-repairs at bonfires. It's actually worth it to keep some repair powder around this time.

Also, while People keep shouting at me for saying this, I think it contains a lot more mean-spirited traps than Dark Souls 1, of the sort that tends to get you guaranteed the first time because you can only really avoid them if you know they're there. Keep an eye out for those. The game also tends a lot more towards overwhelming you with groups than towards putting single strong enemies in your path. It's worth building your character to be able to do a degree of AOE damage and to quickly extricate themselves from tight situations, because I didn't do that and found the game very frustrating on my first attempt as a consequence.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Cardiovorax posted:

Blunt damage is absolute king. Use a sword and spend 10 minutes whittling a large enemy down. Switch to a mace and watch them melt away in ten seconds. It's the one big pro-tip everyone will tell you first and it really is that imbalanced, at leasts at the beginning of the game.

Titanite is a lot rarer. You can't buy it until a fair distance into the game, so make sure you really want the weapon you are planning to commit to, because you're stuck with it for a while.

Stuff breaks much, much faster, but it also auto-repairs at bonfires. It's actually worth it to keep some repair powder around this time.

Also, while People keep shouting at me for saying this, I think it contains a lot more mean-spirited traps than Dark Souls 1, of the sort that tends to get you guaranteed the first time because you can only really avoid them if you know they're there. Keep an eye out for those. The game also tends a lot more towards overwhelming you with groups than towards putting single strong enemies in your path. It's worth building your character to be able to do a degree of AOE damage and to quickly extricate themselves from tight situations, because I didn't do that and found the game very frustrating on my first attempt as a consequence.

What are some good accessible sources of aoe damage?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

fridge corn posted:

What are some good accessible sources of aoe damage?
Ultra-greatswords and everything else with a large swing, as well as pyromancy. You can start getting pyromancy fairly early if you go the Tower of Heide route and then do the Pirate Cove. The pyromancy trainer is there.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Cardiovorax posted:

Ultra-greatswords and everything else with a large swing, as well as pyromancy. You can start getting pyromancy fairly early if you go the Tower of Heide route and then do the Pirate Cove. The pyromancy trainer is there.

That's the sorcery trainer, although the pyromancy hand is the boss reward for that area. The pyromancy trainer you get from depetrifying the statue past Benhart.

And yeah blunt damage is extremely strong early, although in the harder areas later it's more balanced.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Oh, durr, right. I keep mixing those two up. You need to go that way anyway unless you start out as a pyromancer, though, because I think the first Pyromancy Glove you can legitimately find is the one that is right after the boss of the Pirate Cove, so it's what I'd recommend as your first route anyway.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
DS2 enemy placement and overall design is high health dudes in high armor and/or assholes with annoying abilities.

I suggest figuring out where best to use Bonfire Aesthetics. Burning one will increase the surrounding area to the next NG+ cycle. (I.E. used on a first run they bump up an area to ng+. If you put the whole game in to NG+ any area you boosted will stay ahead by one cycle. So the area you boosted to NG+ will now be in NG++).

So why do this? Well other than resetting all the placed treasure you found and making enemies more difficult/valuable , they also respawn any bosses that are linked to that particular bonfire. This is significant, because you need the bonus Soul (crafting kind) that certain bosses only drop on NG+ or higher to get certain weapons. It will also let you get som NG+ exclusive spells and some powerful spells early.

While certainly doable without this, locking the fan favourite weapons like the Moonlight Great Sword to fairly deep in a NG+ run is a little bullshit IMO. Espicially when none of the others games do this.

Also, everyone I knows insists the correct way to play Dark Souls is to only fight each enemy once and to run past anything you've beaten if you die and have to repeat an area. Also never crunch boss souls you have no use for and never sell any gear. If you are higher than level 70 at the final boss, can do more than barely acceptable damage, or can make more than a single mistake without dying you have broken the game and basically cheated your way though.

Ignore them. Part of the appeal of Dark Souls is the self imposed almost infinitely modifiable dificulty. Play how you want and enjoy. Unless you are doing actual skips and glitches the game is still challenging no matter what you do. My metric is if the supposed "correct" way to play the game is to literally ignore and not interact with a myriad of options and game mechanics presented to you perhaps people have gotten caught up in the whole Cult of Dark Souls.

Edit: In DS2 my level 100 character could survive like 2-3 hits from the final boss and the successful fight took about 5 minutes maybe. This is compared to my friend whose level 70 character could survive 1-2 hits and the battle took 7 minutes. :shrug: I cheated apparently though.

Oh, I guess I did it in 5 or 6 tries instead of 30.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 22, 2019

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Pierzak posted:

Anything on the first Rune Factory?
It's been awhile, but the only thing I can remember is this. One of the dungeons/cave can only be reached in winter. Make sure you get it done when winter comes so you don't get stuck burning a year to continue story. Killed the game dead for me because of that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

From what I've heard:

- Most of the bugs have been fixed, but you should probably still keep back-up saves.

- Expect to be required to have at least a moderately broken build fairly quickly.

- You're going to have several options for cleric companions already, so you probably don't need to make one.

I also found this, and am too lazy to just copy them over.

This got swampes by the Dark Souls 2 chat but "moderate broken" means which, using 2 compatible classes picking the skills and abilities that synergize well, or like bouncing from class to class so you end up with 1 level thief, 3 levels cleric, 2 levels fighter, 6 levels druid but all specced perfectly and all stats min maxed.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

pentyne posted:

This got swampes by the Dark Souls 2 chat but "moderate broken" means which, using 2 compatible classes picking the skills and abilities that synergize well, or like bouncing from class to class so you end up with 1 level thief, 3 levels cleric, 2 levels fighter, 6 levels druid but all specced perfectly and all stats min maxed.

It's based off Pathfinder and so to that end assumes you're familiar with D&D and will be out to build something broken rather than something fluffy. You don't have to be hard lock optimized to exactly a specific build, but you're going to need to have a distinct plan in mind and build for maximum effect in whatever you're doing. It's not Baldur's Gate where the min-max stuff is hilarious overkill.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Taerkar posted:

Animal companions are loving amazing. If you have a class that can have one as an optional feature, that's the thing you want. The dog/wolf can trip, but the smilodon is probably your DPS king (it gets something like 5 attacks and can pounce after level 9ish or so). Another benefit is that if an animal companion dies, it'll respawn after your next rest.

Mercenaries (the NPC buddies you create from scratch) can act as advisors in the kingmaker stuff, but they don't actually work. You can't 'level up' a branch of your government with them because the proper event doesn't trigger.

The running a kingdom stuff is pretty bad/boring, don't feel like you're missing something if it starts to annoy you and you just turn it off / cheat it.

Modding works really well. Bag of Tricks, Craft Magic Items and the Turn-based mod are all really strong recommendations.

As for classes, a lot of 'prime' builds will do something like a level of Scaled Fist (the Charisma-based monk) to get +CHA to AC for a 1 level dip. If you're not a primary spell-caster and it's not otherwise a bad idea, 2 level of paladin for +CHA to saves stacks well too.

Flanking works differently from PnP. A person is 'flanked' if two people are in melee with them. This means that a rogue can sneak attack people at range if there's two allies fighting his target in hand-to-hand. That makes ranged sneak attack damage way more viable than your PnP experience would expect.

You can absolutely miss companions if you don't go to the right places at the right times.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 22, 2019

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
For Kingmaker:

The standard difficulty isn't actually standard. It's the "Optimal difficulty for people who powergame in PF." Which is great for folks like me, but be aware that enemy stats are boosted even at this level.

Trip effects are overpowered both against you and against the enemy since unlike in base PF you don't have the option to not stand up and provoke 9 AoOs from the surrounding wolves.

Valyrie is poo poo. She can be made slightly passabale by giving her a dip into Kinetisist, one of the archtype gives her a thing which allows her to use her Con as Int to qualify for feats, meaning she can then pick up Combat Expertise and then be a not worthless AC tank. Octavia starts of as crap and can be pushed to be an Arcane Trickter, but Arcane Tricksters are still crap, and micromanaging her is dull. Amiri is kind of meh. Everyone else is decent.

You don't get a Sorc, Wizard, Druid, Paladin, or Monk companion.

Your bard can't die, but will leave the party if she would die. This is annoying late game when have access to reliable resurrection and don't want to be stuck missing a party member.

Your merc alignments don't matter.

Avoid specializing in exotic weapons. Magic variations are rare and are usually unimpressive.

Your race is never acknowledged.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Do you need to have characters with you to get any quests for them outside of the quest itself?

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Supeerme posted:

don't use the argus shotgun in the level Demon Within

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Anything for theHunter, the paid one and not the older F2P title? It feels like I'm doing something wrong, 'cause I have a super-duper tough time getting close to anything on purpose- I'm not hearing startle noises or warning calls, but I can follow tracks for 12-16 in-game hours and still get nowhere close to finding whatever critter I'm following.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Supeerme posted:

Play as the female lead for a weird AAA lesbian almost-romance

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

But then you wouldn’t be playing as the guy from Farscape

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

Anything for theHunter, the paid one and not the older F2P title? It feels like I'm doing something wrong, 'cause I have a super-duper tough time getting close to anything on purpose- I'm not hearing startle noises or warning calls, but I can follow tracks for 12-16 in-game hours and still get nowhere close to finding whatever critter I'm following.

Animals in the Hunter will startle long before you can see or hear them. Chances are whatever you're stalking is downwind of you or more likely, it heard you when you were half a mile away and ran. Stalking in general is really tricky in the Hunter, even when you buy the perks to reduce noise/smell, etc. If you go the stalking route stay upwind of whatever you're after and crouch/move prone to keep your sound meter as low as possible. You'll need to start going slow well before you see the animal to keep it from spooking. You'll often get better results getting within rough earshot of what you're after and then calling it in with lures rather than creeping after it until it's visible.

It requires a lot of patience, but you might have better success with the waiting approach. Especially if you find an area where the game tells you "animals come here at 8AM" or whatever you can to some extent stake them out as well.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Octopath Traveler
  • The character you pick at the start only matters so much as they're locked into your party until you finish their chapter 4 storyline a substantial way into the game. The game is structured so each character's story is mostly independent and you can cherry pick which ones to follow so long as your team is strong enough. You can also do every character's storyline on the same save file if you want and finishing them all (along with some sidequests) unlocks some post-game content.

• The game has a dash when holding down the B button. The base speed is decently brisk already, but it's still nice for doing side quests in town. The game says it increases encounter rates out in the field, but it's not especially noticeable.

• Town fast travel works everywhere, so it can be used as a dungeon escape if you get in over your head.

• The tavern lets you access every character's gear from one screen, which makes it easier to strip gear from idle characters and pool them for your current team.

• Primrose's chapter 2 town isn't very intuitive to get to. You want to start at the forest town H'aanit starts at far southwest and go north toward Victor's Hollow. You'll see signposts that'll guide you the rest of the way to Stillsnow.

• Shrines will start showing up on the roads outside the chapter 2 towns. They show as small, short black stone circle on the painted world map if they haven't been discovered yet and the mini-map icon is a horizontal ring with four columns coming out the top. These unlock the secondary jobs for the characters.

• You don't really need to know all this to start since you can go with whatever character appeals to you the most then recruit the rest later and it'll still work out. These are just my takes.

Path actions: Things the character can do to interact with townspeople. Some are "noble", which mostly just means they work via a minimum level requirement for a given townsperson. Tressa is an exception who buys items with money and has a chance of getting a "haggle" discount afterward. "Rogue" path actions have no level requirement, but have a % chance to fail based on the character's level. You can fail a rogue action 5 times in a given town, which locks out path actions there until you pay a modest amount of money to the tavern barkeep to reset it.
    Talents: Unique abilities for the character.
    Job: Character's combat class that defines what weapons and skills they can use. A character has a primary job that never changes, though they can pick up each other's jobs as secondaries to mix and match with.
    • Tressa (Merchant): Can buy items from villagers at a discount compared to the shops and she gets a small but notable amount of gold sometimes when traveling between screens. Job is merchant, which is a bit of an all rounder with some offense abilities and unique non-heal/buff support. Can steal money from opponents in combat, which is substantial on bosses.
    • Therion (Thief): Steals items from villagers, also lets you open purple chests in the world that usually have pretty good items in them. Compared to Tressa, he can collect a ton of smaller items for free but struggles on taking the high-end equipment. Job is thief, which has some nice physical debuffs and steals SP they can then funnel into friendly party members for their spells. Can steal items in combat, though stealing gold is done by the merchant job instead.
    • Olberic (Warrior): Can challenge villagers to 1v1 duels, usually used to get them out of the way of doors with chests or NPCs behind them. Can also boost his defend action, which seems a bit pointless. Job is warrior, which is mostly damage abilities and hits fewer weapon/magic vulnerabilities than most. He basically hits like a truck when things line up but can be painfully inflexible when they don't.
    • H'aanit (Hunter): Can provoke villagers to fight them like Olberic, though she can only use beast summons to attack. She can capture beasts during battle and use them as attacks, each having 3-7 uses before running away depending on what type it is. This gives her some extremely potent and varied attack potential no one else can really match, though building a stable of strong monsters can a fair amount of extra work since the success rate on capture for the more powerful monsters is pretty low. Job is hunter, which is similar to warrior, but has some major utility in the leghold trap that causes bosses to act last on a given turn.
    • Ophillia (Cleric): Can recruit townsfolk, later summoning them in battle. Each summon lasts a few turns and basically acts on its own as an extra uncontrollable party member, sometimes bringing really useful buffs or weapon types. Job is Cleric, which is basically a white mage with spammable group healing and some moderate light element offensive spells.
    • Primrose (Dancer): Can recruit townsfolk like Ophillia, but she has the rogue version which gives her a higher ceiling if you're willing to gamble a bit and some of them can be on par with the playable characters power-wise. Job is dancer, which buffs party members and has some offensive dark magic.
    • Alfyn (Alchemist): Can talk to townsfolk for information, netting some background info on them and sometimes minor bonuses like find-able items, inn discounts or expanded shop selections. Concoct lets him combine certain items found after battle and in shops to do different effects. As long as his supplies hold out, it gives him some insane utility being able to multi-hit with every element type to break defenses or group heal/cure debuffs. Job is alchemist, which is the second healing job. It has single-target healing, which makes it less raw output than cleric, but more flexible since it can remove debuffs and can poison enemies for okish damage.
    • Cyrus (Scholar): Talks to people for information like Alfyn, but it's the rogue version so it has a chance to fail. It's a bit rough since most townsfolk can be questioned even if they don't provide rewards and, unlike the other rogue path abilities, there's no preview to judge if the gamble is worth it. On the other hand, his talent reveals one unknown enemy vulnerability at the start of each fight and, combined with the scholar job, makes him one of the best to have along when grinding through road or dungeon fights on the way from point A to B. Job is scholar, which is basically a black mage, lots of screenwide elemental damage.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's one exception with the Shrine's; The Cleric shrine is right outside Ophelia's starting town.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Genpei Turtle posted:

Animals in the Hunter will startle long before you can see or hear them. Chances are whatever you're stalking is downwind of you or more likely, it heard you when you were half a mile away and ran. Stalking in general is really tricky in the Hunter, even when you buy the perks to reduce noise/smell, etc. If you go the stalking route stay upwind of whatever you're after and crouch/move prone to keep your sound meter as low as possible. You'll need to start going slow well before you see the animal to keep it from spooking. You'll often get better results getting within rough earshot of what you're after and then calling it in with lures rather than creeping after it until it's visible.

It requires a lot of patience, but you might have better success with the waiting approach. Especially if you find an area where the game tells you "animals come here at 8AM" or whatever you can to some extent stake them out as well.

Ohh that's probably it then- I've been careful to stay upwind, but I generally walk (not run) until I hear a warning call, at which point I crouch down and keep on the trail. If that's getting too close, is there any general way to intuit when I should slow down? I feel silly crouch-walking at a snail's pace all the time, since I know most animals move faster than I do while crouching or crawling.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Shouldn't you be staying downwind?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yes. Upwind is the bad direction.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I might be getting my terms confused, but, okay: so there's a wind radar, right? Black circle with a thin green wedge? I might be reading it backwards, but I thought the center was me and the wedge was the direction the wind was blowing. So, like, if the green bit is pointed due north, I would move to keep the deer or whatever south of me.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, it's just confusion of terms in that case. Doing that is called standing downwind, like standing downriver, because the air (like the water) is flowing in your direction. You're doing it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Ooh that makes sense. In my head that was upwind, because you were standing above the point where the wind would be able to carry your scent to nearby critters. Semantics are weird. :)