Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kvlt! posted:

Atroz (2015) if you want some real nasty poo poo

yeah i know you and your poo poo, hard pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Hit me with some deep cut recs for found footage. I reserve the right to make fun of you if your deep cut is basic.

Not precisely "found footage", but the TV movie "Without Warning" might be up your alley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89u81khMVyc

Haven't seen it since it first aired, but did find myself unnerved by it by the end.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
After watching the first half of V/H/S, I can safely say I don't like found footage films.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Hit me with some deep cut recs for found footage. I reserve the right to make fun of you if your deep cut is basic.

REC is good.

If you like found footage you've probably already seen it and will soon mock me, but I just wanted a chance to remind everyone of how good REC is.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

ReapersTouch posted:

After watching the first half of V/H/S, I can safely say I don't like found footage films.

vhs1 sucks though

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

V/h/s/2 is by far the best of the trilogy imo, Safe Haven is loving great, I'm in the camp that SPAA is very good, and both Clinical Trials and Ride in the Park are at least decent and don't out stay their welcome. but they all have some good segments, even 3 has at least one good segment!

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I must be crazy because I liked every segment in the first two VHS movies

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

sponges posted:

Yeah, I'm with you. The worst segments are either fine or interesting.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

VHS also has a little bit more thematic substance to chew on compared to the sequels just by virtue of the fact that it more explicitly tackles the voyeurism aspect of found footage movies than any of the follow-ups.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

sponges posted:

3 is the only one Id say is more bad than good, and that's mainly because it has the worst framing story that feels like it takes the most time.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Guillermo Del Toro should make a Gyo movie

https://twitter.com/RealGDT/status/1153307871842459651?s=20

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

GDT already has so many projects on dock at this point that when he dies he'll probably explode in a Shao Kahn soul tornado of concept art and linear notes.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
My favorite aborted Del Toro project is book-accurate Frankenstein. I still wish he’d make that.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

make at the mountains of madness del toro u coward

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Tart Kitty posted:

VHS also has a little bit more thematic substance to chew on compared to the sequels just by virtue of the fact that it more explicitly tackles the voyeurism aspect of found footage movies than any of the follow-ups.
Viral thinks it has a theme.

I feel like OG V/H/S has really ben undersold over the years. It's a great movie with the most consistent roster of shorts and the films play off of each other to make it the most cohesive of the movies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kvlt! posted:

My dream Del Toro movie would be if he directed that never-produced script The Tourist which had HR Geiger creature designs and stuff and was about how there's aliens on earth posing as humans but they're exiles from their home planet and living on earth as a human is like a super degrading punishment.

https://www.hrgiger.com/tourist.htm

https://thestorydepartment.com/screenwriting-the-greatest-science-fiction-screenplay-never-produced/

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 24, 2019

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kvlt! posted:

There are so many reasons he can't, it broke his heart to realize it was truly a doomed project.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

There are so many reasons he can't, it broke his heart to realize it was truly a doomed project.

I wish he’d make the great adaptation of Innsmouth that he could so clearly do.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kvlt! posted:

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

My dream Del Toro movie would be if he directed that never-produced script The Tourist which had HR Geiger creature designs and stuff and was about how there's aliens on earth posing as humans but they're exiles from their home planet and living on earth as a human is like a super degrading punishment.

https://thestorydepartment.com/screenwriting-the-greatest-science-fiction-screenplay-never-produced/
According to David Hughes in Tales from Development Hell, the concept eventually developed into Men in Black.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Bunch of thoughts:

The last several viewings for my horror movie night has been non-stop hits. The Perfection, Tigers are not Afraid, The Wickerman Double Feature, Midsommar, Butterfly Kisses, Occult.

I started this weekly get together in Oct 2017 and we are now on our 97th movie together. In celebration of hitting our 100th viewing we are going to do a weekend marathon where the 4 people who attend the most often each pick a movie (1 classic, 1 modern, 1 foreign, 1 horror comedy) and the rest of the people submit a short. I've been tasked with picking the modern horror (90s+) and it's going to be challenging to find something worthy considering we have generally been staying on top of whatever the latest good releases are. The two titles that jump to mind in that I've seen them but no one else in the group has are The last Exorcism & Martyrs. Martyrs would be cheating a little since it's mixing categories, but it's just so drat crazy and good.

I also just saw Luz in theaters and it was not very good. It felt like a budget version of Fallen with Denzel. Which actually could be a good movie for the above event, since I don't think anyone else has seen it other than me.

Also about Occult-- Is the idea that the movie is one big dark joke in that the character with powers completely misinterpreted the content and purpose of his premonitions from god? The cataclysmic event was actually the mad cow disease outbreak, which he was given a preview of but failed to recognize, and he was likely supposed to warn and protect people? Instead he somehow twisted this into god wanting him to kills others, and thus was punished for his suicide bombing by being sent to hell?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Megasabin posted:

Bunch of thoughts:

Also about Occult-- Is the idea that the movie is one big dark joke in that the character with powers completely misinterpreted the content and purpose of his premonitions from god? The cataclysmic event was actually the mad cow disease outbreak, which he was given a preview of but failed to recognize, and he was likely supposed to warn and protect people? Instead he somehow twisted this into god wanting him to kills others, and thus was punished for his suicide bombing by being sent to hell?

My take on it was each of the mass killers were deluded as to the ultimate outcome of their killing. They interpreted it as the gods will take them to heaven when it actually was those gods claiming the sacrifice to whichever other dimension they existed in.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i found hellstar remina scarier than gyo.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Del Toro pitched a live action Monster (the Urasawa manga) series to HBO and they didn't pick it up. I feel like that one could've actually done really well.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

My Twitter Account posted:

According to David Hughes in Tales from Development Hell, the concept eventually developed into Men in Black.

It's developed enough that it's like a completely different story though (which is fine of course), it'd be cool to see the original thing made by Del Toro.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Checking in to also say V/H/S owns.

There's loads of fantastic underappreciated portmanteau/anthology films. I just recently saw Deadtime Stories for the first time and that was a hilarious mess. Great watch.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Groovelord Neato posted:

Uzumaki is my personal fav.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

uzumaki is probably the best.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

The vhs scene where the guy gets his throat cut while sleeping was unsettling. I enjoyed all of the segments though.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

colachute posted:

The vhs scene where the guy gets his throat cut while sleeping was unsettling. I enjoyed all of the segments though.

yeah that one and the crazy cult one are the only two shorts i like in the whole franchise

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Neo Rasa posted:

So a book faithful version of Under the Skin, then.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Jedit posted:

So a book faithful version of Under the Skin, then.

I was just thinking drat, did the under the skin dude read this lady’s script?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Rewatched without warning last night, it holds up really well, I'd love to tigjten up the script and remake it; I think the era of ubiquitous phone cams would make it terrifying

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Stink Billyums posted:

Del Toro pitched a live action Monster (the Urasawa manga) series to HBO and they didn't pick it up. I feel like that one could've actually done really well.

Monster is so perfect for a live action series adaptation, I'm shocked it's never happened yet. There's only like 5% anime bullshit you need to shave off of the source material to make it a perfect drama.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Neo Rasa posted:

It's developed enough that it's like a completely different story though (which is fine of course), it'd be cool to see the original thing made by Del Toro.

Pretty much the biggest differences from the original MIB comic and the first movie look like they were taken from The Tourist.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Groovelord Neato posted:

I think Remina is creepier at the start but it gets downright silly at the end (in a good way).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It's hosed up that we never got an American Tomie during the big American remake of Japanese horror movie wave.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gripweed posted:

It's hosed up that we never got an American Tomie during the big American remake of Japanese horror movie wave.

Funny you should mention it...

https://twitter.com/dreadcentral/status/1154074037338988544?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Oh hell yeah! I've only seen one of that guy's movies, High Tension, but it was really good. Up until the last five minutes where he ruined it completely. But luckily the Tomie formula should be impossible to gently caress up.