Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah this is the poo poo the lady is insisting on and saying she literally won't live in the house unless that's the carpet

Sorta... wanting to call her bluff on this one. I don't want to die in a housefire, step on moth larvae, or have $16,000 of carpet instantly ruined by 3 cats and two sweaty humans

Did she actually mention the chemicals used in flooring that she is worried about, or did she legit say 'toxins'? Cause the latter there is uh... not.. good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Bunch of science words I don't recognize but it just sounded like "toxins" to me. We don't have any allergies or sensitivities, she's just an exceptionally granola hippie

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm planning to move to a townhome that doesn't have a fridge so I'm looking at buying a fridge for the first time in my life. The fridge area is limited by the counter to one side and an exterior wall to the other side so I'm limited to something no more than 40" wide with the doors all the way open. I already have a freezer, so I was thinking about getting a freezerless fridge like this one since it costs a little less to run, but it looks like it costs about the same as a top freezer fridge like this one which while it takes ~150kwh more a year to run, would save us the marginal hassle of walking over to the freezer to get ice and would be easier to find other options for. Suggestions/thoughts?

Anyone able to recommend a refrigerator review site? All the review sites I've looked at are utter garbage. One site listed the cons for the fridge they rated as the best in 2018 as: "sometimes does not keep food cold enough and it spoils."

Ciaphas posted:

Moved to a new apartment recently after dumping 75% of my furnishings, couches and similar included. I'd like something for slobbing out in front of the bigscreen, but a couch or even a recliner isn't really a fit aesthetically or physically for the room in a place where it'd be useful.

I'm thinking bean bag or bean bag chair, then. My question is, are there any makers (or even just materials) that could resist the likely clawing from my two cats?

I had a bean bag chair in a house with 3 rescue cats for several years. No noticeable claw damage (all cats had at least their hind claws still) but accumulated cat pee eventually consigned it to the dumpster.

My friend who has a bean bag bed in a house with lots of cats and dogs hasn't lost a beanbag wrapper to claw damage yet.

Sadly I don't remember what either of us use(d) as a wrapper around the beanbag, but as long as you get something reasonably sturdy you shouldn't have a problem with claws.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 23, 2019

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Bunch of science words I don't recognize but it just sounded like "toxins" to me. We don't have any allergies or sensitivities, she's just an exceptionally granola hippie

All carpet has to be replaced eventually; wood generally doesn't. The first step in the "reduce, reuse, recycle" refrain is reduce, so you don't want to have to install something that you will have to take out. She doesn't want to be wasteful, right? If she's worried about a harmful atmosphere, dust and mold are more likely to gather in a carpet and will hurt the respiratory system of that future baby. Bamboo is fast-growing and sustainable, so it's not hurting the environment.

(I feel you; I am also environmentally-conscious but it took a while to convince my extreme hippie fiance that trimming the trees was good for them)

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

LLSix posted:

Anyone able to recommend a refrigerator review site? All the review sites I've looked at are utter garbage. One site listed the cons for the fridge they rated as the best in 2018 as: "sometimes does not keep food cold enough and it spoils."

The Wirecutter has generally been good for reviews.

Also, fridges - like other major appliances such as washers, dryers, and air conditioners - are a pretty safe proposition to buy new for all of the major brands. The technology has been stable for over 50 years, and any "new" features will be dumb bullshit like Bluetooth connectivity. If you do want to look for features, look for a decent warranty and delivery/removal of the old fridge. After that it is mostly personal preference about door arrangement, freezer / no freezer, ice machine etc.

We just bought a cheap-rear end fridge, the second cheapest available with a warranty and delivery, and it's fine. We opted for an in-freezer ice maker (not the door dispenser, just inside) which added a little more to the bill but still came in around $800. We also bought a new fridge about 5 years ago (different house) and spent a little more. It felt more upscale, with a heavier-feeling door and stainless steel front, but it was the lack of any appreciable difference that lead us to buy a cheaper one this time around.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

The only good/new feature is if you can find a fridge with a Linear Compressor.

The LGs that use them are quieter and a bit more power efficient, but you can also get them rebranded as Kenmore and save a few bucks.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

toplitzin posted:

The only good/new feature is if you can find a fridge with a Linear Compressor.

The LGs that use them are quieter and a bit more power efficient, but you can also get them rebranded as Kenmore and save a few bucks.

Haven't LG fridges been having problems, specifically with the compressors failing?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

vonnegutt posted:

Haven't LG fridges been having problems, specifically with the compressors failing?

Google says they're trying for a class action in Cali, but there are also reports of LG extending warranties out to 10 years on the compressors now.

Anecdotally, most of my social group here has purchased LC equipped LG fridges over the past 3 years as we've gotten new homes purchased and so far so good.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Kids sure can gently caress poo poo up in a moment can't they!? Problem I have is, one day, that'll be my work-from-home workstation. We only have a 2br place, so I don't have a room for an office that I can just close up.

I need a close-able desk or workspace that fulfills the following requirements:
  • Enclose a 24in monitor, keyboard, mouse (and space to move the mouse), somewhere to put my laptop that's sensible (although flexible on what that is as it's usually plugged in to a thunderbolt dock when in use) a bit of extra desk space (e.g. for a mug, phone, headset etc).
  • This needs to be something I can close up and ideally lock when I'm not using it. Protecting everything inside.
  • Cable access for power and ethernet
  • I'd also like something that can be opened and used, then closed, with no or minimal setup. As in, not spend 10 minutes rebuilding it every morning, and really not 10 minutes deconstructing it when my toddler comes charging through the door. I am however willing to have a small amount of re-organisation upon open and close.
  • Space for legs considered

I was thinking like this beaurex, but larger due to the monitor. This and this are also close, although both assume you're only using laptop with inbuilt keyboard. They are the right idea but not enough space. Also, and a large part of why I'm posting, they are the only idea I can think of. Happy to consider alternatives.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Have you looked into secretary desks? Those might give a larger enclosed workspace. The tricky part will be finding one high enough for the monitor, but it should be doable. e: particularly the roll top models, which tend to be a bit roomier and don’t rely on the fold-out part as a desk surface

BadSamaritan fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 12, 2019

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

You might be able to use a secretary desk, especially if you are willing to do a little work and gut it of the little array of drawers and shelves typically inside; those will usually fill the space too much for a monitor, but if you can find one without or remove them it would work.

Some idle looking reveals that people also make something called a 'computer armoire' that might work for your uses; what's your budget on this sort of thing?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hopefully this is the right thread:

I need a new mattress. The one I'm using now is a 15 year old hand-me-down, and I'm starting to wake up more sore than when I went to sleep >.>

I know nothing about mattress buying though, having never done so. I do know that I'm looking for something:

1. Queen size
2. Med-to-Med/Firm
3. Cool
4. ~$1200, I can flex up or down a bit but not too much

Any suggestions?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Annath posted:

Hopefully this is the right thread:

I need a new mattress. The one I'm using now is a 15 year old hand-me-down, and I'm starting to wake up more sore than when I went to sleep >.>

I know nothing about mattress buying though, having never done so. I do know that I'm looking for something:

1. Queen size
2. Med-to-Med/Firm
3. Cool
4. ~$1200, I can flex up or down a bit but not too much

Any suggestions?

Mattress thread for your posting pleasure

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813333&pagenumber=12&perpage=40

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
Any tips on stabilizing an Ikea king size bed? I bought a 'brimnes' model used and it creaks like crazy when we so much as climb into it.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

If you haven’t yet, go through and re-tighten everything you can access if you’ve been using it for a little.

If you’ve already done that- I’m not sure if the Brimnes has them- but there might be little screwed on diagonal metal crossbraces under the platform/slat portion of the bed. Tighten these ***as much as possible***, up to and including using a hand drill. That got rid of the squeaking our Ikea bed had.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Q: Is there a secret goon-approved resource for finding dope deals for furniture? Basically I need to find a long chair / lounge chair, but I’m always scouting for other goods as well.

Anyone?

Just look for sales I guess?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm moving and need to move a car that I won't have time to get inspected and registered, where can I rent a trailer (not a dolly, AWD) without also renting a truck? I've got all the truck I need in order to move, I just need something to move the car and I'm not sure the law looks too kindly on hauling a car by tow rope/chain on the highway.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://law.justia.com/codes/colorado/2016/title-42/regulation-of-vehicles-and-traffic/article-4/part-5/section-42-4-506/

I think your state it’s okay to tow with a rope as long as you have the white marker

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks. Turns out that the loving thing isn't going anywhere, damage was to a stronger part than I thought. Well, anywhere except on a flatbed.

Second question: Is it a bad sign if a landlord seems too easy-going? Like she doesn't even want to run a background check on me. There are also some repairs that still need to be done as far as paint damage and a broken small window, she's an old woman who apparently got very ill (she didn't specify) a few years ago and I could tell has some mobility issues and she said the person she normally has do repairs for her is on vacation. If she agrees to add a time limit for those repairs into the lease, is that still a red flag? It's the basement of her house so I'm not worried about her letting the heat or water go out or anything (hopefully this doesn't sound terrible but old women tend to run cold compared to me so it's more likely I would need to close the heater vents). She also offered to pay me to help out with stuff around the property, yardwork and such.

I mean, I did clean myself up when I heard her on the phone. Did my hair better than I usually do, shaved right before I went over, dress shirt, figured older people care more about that sort of thing than most people do, especially if it's their house. I'm just a bad judge of character so I want perspective from people with more experience and possibly less autism than me.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks. Turns out that the loving thing isn't going anywhere, damage was to a stronger part than I thought. Well, anywhere except on a flatbed.

Second question: Is it a bad sign if a landlord seems too easy-going? Like she doesn't even want to run a background check on me. There are also some repairs that still need to be done as far as paint damage and a broken small window, she's an old woman who apparently got very ill (she didn't specify) a few years ago and I could tell has some mobility issues and she said the person she normally has do repairs for her is on vacation. If she agrees to add a time limit for those repairs into the lease, is that still a red flag? It's the basement of her house so I'm not worried about her letting the heat or water go out or anything (hopefully this doesn't sound terrible but old women tend to run cold compared to me so it's more likely I would need to close the heater vents). She also offered to pay me to help out with stuff around the property, yardwork and such.

I mean, I did clean myself up when I heard her on the phone. Did my hair better than I usually do, shaved right before I went over, dress shirt, figured older people care more about that sort of thing than most people do, especially if it's their house. I'm just a bad judge of character so I want perspective from people with more experience and possibly less autism than me.

It probably depends on your personality. Some people like a landlord that leaves them alone even if it means some minor (or major) stuff never gets fixed. Or maybe you're the type of person who can ride somebody so they stay on top of things.

As for the bolded part, I would be sure to specify what happens if she fails to live up to her end of the lease, e.g. you can have the work done yourself and send her the bill. If it's merely "she's in breach of the lease" then you'll just be giving yourself permission to move out early and you probably don't want to do that just because of some minor repair issues. I am not a lawyer.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
Tl;dr: I feel I need to talk to management about some extreme behavior from a neighbor, but other neighbors already think I'm a narc and I worry about retaliation, and I'm not sure what to do.

We've had a lot of issues with our upstairs neighbor making noise at night, but there are two young kids up there and we assumed that was why, and we didn't want to be jerks about kids.

However, the kids disappeared at the end of the school year and it's become apparent that the late night running, thumping, throwing/dropping things are the adult who lives there.

And now she's having screaming matches over the phone sometime between the hours of 11 PM and 2 AM, and whatever else she's doing during these arguments rattles the windows. It can't be tuned out. I like to mind my business, but it was bad enough I put my ear to the wall to listen in and make sure she wasn't being beaten to death (she wasn't).

This kind of stuff is a HUGE anxiety/PTSD issue for me, and beyond that no one should have to listen to screaming matches at 2 AM. I have to bring this to management.

EXCEPT: I seriously worry about retaliation from neighbors.

A few weeks ago a cop came to her apartment with some papers. I was on my way to my car to go to work, and he stopped me on my porch to ask if anyone was living in the upstairs apartment, because there was no answer (interesting, because I heard yelling and scrambling up there ten minutes before--someone in the complex sounded a siren).

Later that morning, the neighbor knocked on our door, wanted to know what I told the cop--meaning someone in another apartment and by extension, me, because they told her some white guy talked to the cop, and I'm the k ly white guy in our row.

Moving isn't an option for us right now, or we would. But I also can't keep losing full nights of sleep to this.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Looking for a vacuum recommendation.

I live in San Francisco, so most of our apartment is hard wood but my house mate has a large rug that sheds a lot as well as two kitties that shed + some litter that tracks around. I need something that can handle all of these without being too large. I'm honestly considering a shop vac, especially a backpack model as I would also like to deep clean our storage area and laundry area, but I didn't see any that looked reputable. It seems like most shop vacs are intended for spaces with lots of room to move so they have wide wheel bases, but I need the smallest base possible because it's an apartment. The long hose appeals to me because of the tight spaces caused by furniture and built in shelving, claw foot tub, etc. I'd love to be able to get all the eaves and rafters. Is there a shop vac model that can use a carpet cleaning attachment?

I'd like to keep it around $200 or less, but I could go to $300 if it really fit what I needed and would last a while.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I live in San Francisco, so most of our apartment is hard wood but my house mate has a large rug that sheds a lot as well as two kitties that shed + some litter that tracks around. I need something that can handle all of these without being too large. I'm honestly considering a shop vac, especially a backpack model as I would also like to deep clean our storage area and laundry area, but I didn't see any that looked reputable. It seems like most shop vacs are intended for spaces with lots of room to move so they have wide wheel bases, but I need the smallest base possible because it's an apartment. The long hose appeals to me because of the tight spaces caused by furniture and built in shelving, claw foot tub, etc. I'd love to be able to get all the eaves and rafters. Is there a shop vac model that can use a carpet cleaning attachment?

I'd like to keep it around $200 or less, but I could go to $300 if it really fit what I needed and would last a while.

I've been meaning to get a new one, but a Dyson vacuum like this has been fuckin amazing for me. I bought a refurb one and it has lasted me uh... almost 5 years? And I'm only buying a new one cause the battery on mine is now kind of poo poo, it only lasts about 5 minutes. Still a great vacuum, but 5 minutes of vacuuming for an hour plus of charging is getting a bit annoying.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

We have a Shark Navigator- it’s a more traditional upright vacuum, but the long hose (and canister) comes off easily for small spaces and it swivels better than other uprights that I’ve tried. Very good for cat hair and crunchies. Shark also makes a corded stick vacuum similar to the one posted above- I haven’t tried it but it might be an option if you don’t want to deal with rechargeable battery issues.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

RabbitMage posted:

Tl;dr: I feel I need to talk to management about some extreme behavior from a neighbor, but other neighbors already think I'm a narc and I worry about retaliation, and I'm not sure what to do.

We've had a lot of issues with our upstairs neighbor making noise at night, but there are two young kids up there and we assumed that was why, and we didn't want to be jerks about kids.

However, the kids disappeared at the end of the school year and it's become apparent that the late night running, thumping, throwing/dropping things are the adult who lives there.

And now she's having screaming matches over the phone sometime between the hours of 11 PM and 2 AM, and whatever else she's doing during these arguments rattles the windows. It can't be tuned out. I like to mind my business, but it was bad enough I put my ear to the wall to listen in and make sure she wasn't being beaten to death (she wasn't).

This kind of stuff is a HUGE anxiety/PTSD issue for me, and beyond that no one should have to listen to screaming matches at 2 AM. I have to bring this to management.

EXCEPT: I seriously worry about retaliation from neighbors.

A few weeks ago a cop came to her apartment with some papers. I was on my way to my car to go to work, and he stopped me on my porch to ask if anyone was living in the upstairs apartment, because there was no answer (interesting, because I heard yelling and scrambling up there ten minutes before--someone in the complex sounded a siren).

Later that morning, the neighbor knocked on our door, wanted to know what I told the cop--meaning someone in another apartment and by extension, me, because they told her some white guy talked to the cop, and I'm the k ly white guy in our row.

Moving isn't an option for us right now, or we would. But I also can't keep losing full nights of sleep to this.

You're paying management to deal with poo poo like this, it is literally their sole - and insufficient - justification for existence. That being said have you tried talking to the upstairs neighbor?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dyson-V6-Animal-Cordless-Vacuum-Refurbished/273888224642

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

This was my solution to a similar issue

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
More fun from our apartment.

Right after we moved in (October 2017), we had a dripping leak coming in through the vent in the bathroom. Maintenance claimed it was from a toilet leak in the apartment above ours, which was fixed.

November of last year, more leaking from the vent, plus bubbling paint on ceiling. Maintenance (different guy from before) said it was due to poor drainage during heavy rain, peeled back some paint, sprayed some Kilz in ther, and left it.

Early this morning...a new leak. Spouse went and reported it to the office, and the manager reassured us it's just condensation from the air conditioner and nothing to worry about. My spouse, who knows more about construction and plumbing than I do, says that's actually A Problem. Management said they would send someone to look at it, along with some electrical issues we're having in the kitchen, but gosh, no one got to us today.

The leak has stopped for now, but the vent is right over the toilet, which means it's unusable when leaking, unless you don't mind a damp toilet seat and drips of cold mystery water.

How much of a problem is this actually and what do I need to push for, because right now it seems like their chosen course of action is "do nothing".

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

just take an umbrella to the toilet, what's the big deal

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
So, good news: new maintenance guy came out, looked at it, and said due to the way they built the apartments that's just a thing that happens, it happens in other apartments, and can't/won't be fixed. So sometimes we're just going to end up with our bathroom soaked and be unable to use our only toilet.

Also saw the apartment manager posting some anti-gay comments on a Facebook article, and her racist and transphobic comments weren't far behind (my spouse and I are queer and the majority of our complex is not white).

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Kill your landlord

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RabbitMage posted:

So, good news: new maintenance guy came out, looked at it, and said due to the way they built the apartments that's just a thing that happens, it happens in other apartments, and can't/won't be fixed. So sometimes we're just going to end up with our bathroom soaked and be unable to use our only toilet.

Also saw the apartment manager posting some anti-gay comments on a Facebook article, and her racist and transphobic comments weren't far behind (my spouse and I are queer and the majority of our complex is not white).

File a fair housing complaint. Get paid, move somewhere that doesn't suck.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
They sound like terrible people, but "toilet seat is damp" isn't the same as "toilet is unusable." It's not ideal but can you rig something up until you can get out?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Strap them to the toilet seat and give them the Torture of 1000 Drops

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

File a fair housing complaint. Get paid, move somewhere that doesn't suck.

This.

Also you might need to consider that if the apartment above you has the same layout as yours, then the leak above your toilet could be coming from their toilet.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
Gulliotines for the ruling class, yes.

It appears the water is just condensation and the ducts aren't designed in such a way that it doesn't drain anywhere else. This isn't a consistent problem, but had happened about a dozen times in the year and a half we've been here, so I don't know how much legal weight it carries.

And I don't want to be a prissy little bitch, but I do prefer not to have water dripping on me while I poo poo, so finding out we might just have to put up with that is disappointing.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

A recurring leak that your landlord refuses to fix and just insists is definitely not poo poo water is cause for action, regardless of whether or not they built the building wrong and now don't want to unfuck it.

I understand not wanting to make waves but don't resign yourself to living in lovely conditions unless there's a really good reason - not wanting to be whiny definitely doesn't clear that bar. IMO at least!

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

A recurring leak that your landlord refuses to fix and just insists is definitely not poo poo water is cause for action
What do you imagine the cost of bringing a lawsuit to trial of "My bathroom is drippy, sometimes" would be?

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Varies with region I'm sure but filing fee for small claims court is under $100 in California. I'm not suggesting lawyering up and going to war, just breaking lease or withholding rent would not be crazy. Just because randomly getting rained on (by maybe shitwater? who knows?) isn't as bad as the electricity being messed up or the heat being out doesn't mean it's cool or okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Collect the water into a large container then mail it to your landlord.

Or fill a super soaker with it and spray them directly in the mouth.