Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a recruiter keeps emailing me at work about a job in ogden, utah

who the gently caress wants to move to ogden, utah

i'm sure ogden is just fine but maybe focus your recruiting efforts on the greater ogden area, yeah?

I get Austin a lot (probably AMD and adjacent stuff), Mayfield Heights, Ohio (Rockwell), and Philly for Comcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

PokeJoe posted:

Fighting the urge to quit with no job lined up just to get some time off

Did it. :cool:

Was hesitating for a long time, but after making the decision, felt really liberated and happy. Realized that I had checked out a while ago.

Was asked if I would stay for a salary increase?
"Nuh-uh, I don't think so."
"Where am I going/what am I planning to do?"
"Uhh.. Freelancing and stuff"
"Would I be interested in having them as a client?"
🤔🤔🤔
So now I have a remote contracting job, working only 28 hours a week, while making 30% more.

Probably should have asked more. :11tea:

But am okay with it for now, since the project would be with our only properly managed team, with defined tasks, rewriting our main product in react.
No more CEO constantly changing priorities and tasks (some sampes:
"starting from next week, all developers will work in pairs and do pair programming.
How much pair programming?
All the time! 24/7! Every workday, from beginning to the end!"

"shelve your project, you know the one that I called "the most important project in company history", is few weeks from completion, and what would allow us to unify our two duplicated main products to one, and free 4 full time developers. That one.
You will join a team and start rewriting our main product with your 4 months out of school junior. ")

Anyway, having enough savings/gently caress you money will make the decision mostly stress free, if you can cover your next 6 months/years expenses.
Always have reserves, so you'll won't be backed into a corner with a bad job.

/end drunk ramblings

the heat goes wrong fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 25, 2019

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
I hard quit my old job about 2.5 years ago. I hated the job, I had enough money that it wasn’t an issue and my partner said “yeah you’re miserable, just fucken quit” so I did it.

Planned to take 3 months off but it turned into just over a year in the end, then a job landed in my lap that paid double the old one where I get to work on fun stuff with a great team so it worked out pretty well. I’m obnoxiously lucky though so your results may vary.

Ideally don’t let it get to a point where you need to hard quit, recognise things are going downhill early, line up a new job and get out before it breaks your brain, but if you’re past that point then just quitting and figuring out everything later might be the best thing for your mental health.

Waking up at 6am on the first Monday after quitting, all excited because I had no bullshit work to worry about and deciding to just go for a swim and laze about in the sun for a bit was legit one of the best times of my life though.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

the heat goes wrong posted:

🤔🤔🤔
So now I have a remote contracting job, working only 28 hours a week, while making 30% more(net).

grats on doing it

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Rex-Goliath posted:

grats on doing it

lol they are saving at least 20 if not upwards of 50% by not having to pay him benefits.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

oh i thought that's what the (net) in his post was for

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Rex-Goliath posted:

oh i thought that's what the (net) in his post was for

paying 30% extra on top of the salary he was getting will still save them a shitload of money.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i'm an idiot and reversed net and gross

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
got a deece six figgy offer sight unseen from a former supervisor that heard im leaving the current job so this:

Rex-Goliath posted:

coworker who burnt himself out a few years ago that i still keep in touch with connected me with another ex-coworker who's currently working for the company i'm interviewing with. build and maintain your professional network, goons

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Did it. :cool:

Was hesitating for a long time, but after making the decision, felt really liberated and happy. Realized that I had checked out a while ago.

🤔🤔🤔
So now I have a remote contracting job, working only 28 hours a week, while making 30% more(net).

Probably should have asked more. :11tea:

But am okay with it for now, since the project would be with our only properly managed team, with defined tasks, rewriting our main product in react.
No more CEO constantly changing priorities and tasks (some sampes:
"starting from next week, all developers will work in pairs and do pair programming.
How much pair programming?
All the time! 24/7! Every workday, from beginning to the end!"

"shelve your project, you know the one that I called "the most important project in company history", is few weeks from completion, and what would allow us to unify our two duplicated main products to one, and free 4 full time developers. That one.
You will join a team and start rewriting our main product with your 4 months out of school junior. ")

Anyway, having enough savings/gently caress you money will make the decision mostly stress free, if you can cover your next 6 months/years expenses.
Always have reserves, so you'll won't be backed into a corner with a bad job.

/end drunk ramblings

I've got the savings, what's holding me back is my coworker quit for nothing a year back and is still not back to work which is concerning since I've already spent a lot of time unemployed as an adult and it was terrible. It would be different now, I've managed to get out of debt so nothing is dwindling my meager dollars other than rent and normal life expenses but I've still got a broke brain from having no money at all for a long time. I'd probably spend nearly every day wandering around in the mountains until summer ended if I did quit though, and that would be very excellent. Ugh. My team at work seems to be getting phased out too so I'm pretty checked out on the day today cause there's really no direction.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
you can spend some of your time off studying for interviews, which is actually better for passing interviews than working

also i didn't get the impression that anyone cared about the gap. almost 100% of my interviewers thought i was still working at my previous company, even though my resume clearly said i left 8 months prior

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Pie Colony posted:

you can spend some of your time off studying for interviews, which is actually better for passing interviews than working

also i didn't get the impression that anyone cared about the gap. almost 100% of my interviewers thought i was still working at my previous company, even though my resume clearly said i left 8 months prior

Actually interviewing is better for passing interviews than both of those things. Absolutely nothing substitutes for experience in this case.

Also if you're lucky enough to speak to an engineer then you've already past the stage where people give a poo poo about your gap. The only people who care are the morons in HR screening your resume.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

ratbert90 posted:

paying 30% extra on top of the salary he was getting will still save them a shitload of money.

Ah, sorry for the confusion. Wasn't sure how to express that in American terms.

I asked for increase based on total comp, not pocketable salary. Benefits is not a thing that exists here. Their hourly total cost for me went up around 35%.
In combination with tax advantages of being a company, I end up having to work 1/3 less, while pocketing 1/3 more money.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
human resources, the us democratic party: I cannot comprehend the possibility that these peoples' job is to directly oppose my interests. no, it must be that they are really stupid and also bad at what I imagine their jobs to be. why do they treat me with such open contempt when I am clearly so much smarter than them?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Ah, sorry for the confusion. Wasn't sure how to express that in American terms.

I asked for increase based on total comp, not pocketable salary. Benefits is not a thing that exists here. Their hourly total cost for me went up around 35%.
In combination with tax advantages of being a company, I end up having to work 1/3 less, while pocketing 1/3 more money.

oh! well then,

Rex-Goliath posted:

grats on doing it

matti
Mar 31, 2019

ill get a job 2020

poverty sucks and im not going to school

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a recruiter keeps emailing me at work about a job in ogden, utah

who the gently caress wants to move to ogden, utah

i'm sure ogden is just fine but maybe focus your recruiting efforts on the greater ogden area, yeah?

I just got a recruiter who calls me at work. This is apparently a new thing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pathetic little tramp posted:

not a new thing at all unfortunately

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
the other day I got cold called on my work number about whether or not I was interested in contract work

after being told to gently caress off they then asked if I knew if any of my coworkers were interested in contract work

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
Forward all recruiter calls to the It's Lenny service.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I've had them call, leave a voicemail, email to tell me so then text to ask me to check my email.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Hey everyone, you may remember me from a few months ago bitching about my toxic work environment and quitting without a plan just to get away from it. I think I mentioned here that I did quit that way earlier this month which was a huge relief.

Just got a deec six figgie offer in a non figgieland locale. :)

gently caress you lovely former boss and gently caress interviewing for a few years hopefully

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

:yotj:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
:woop:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Gettin interview offers out the wazoo all of a sudden - two in Dallas and one remote in Canada - Canadian job is 80k CDN which is paltry as heck buuuuut it's Canada and I will gladly make 30/hr USD to have universal healthcare and be able to live in Sask permanently.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I wish I were non-poo poo enough to get a company to offer to immigrate me to Canada.

:sigh:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
The trick, for me at least, is to never actually talk about work or skills in any way whatsoever and just talk about Canadian poo poo.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

The trick, for me at least, is to never actually talk about work or skills in any way whatsoever and just talk about Canadian poo poo.

how 'bout them Leafs, eh?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Gettin interview offers out the wazoo all of a sudden - two in Dallas and one remote in Canada - Canadian job is 80k CDN which is paltry as heck buuuuut it's Canada and I will gladly make 30/hr USD to have universal healthcare and be able to live in Sask permanently.

$80k is pretty decent for Saskatchewan

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

a recruiter called me incessantly during work hours until i snapped and yelled at them down the phone for like 5 minutes and that sure did the trick, never heard from them again. felt real bad about it tho

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Munkeymon posted:

how 'bout them Leafs, eh?

I actually went in on the CFL, for true Canada Points - and I talked poo poo on how the Argos lost to my Riders. How do you manage to gently caress up against us? We haven't been able to put anything coherent together since Darian left, and then we bitched about how Montréal is going to kill the league because they keep screwing up their ownership issues, how it's time for Atlantic CFL to become a thing, and at the end they were like "so you do grid CSS layouts? Cool cool. Anyway, we'll let you know when we're ready to interview finalists in a few days"

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

This is good in Canada if you lived in sask. It's pretty poo poo anywhere super built up.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

qhat posted:

This is good in Canada if you lived in sask. It's pretty poo poo anywhere super built up.

Conveniently, in the post you quoted, they mentioned they were going to be in Saskatchewan

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

recruiter just called me back to give feedback on my tech interview. they think i'm a real strong candidate and it sounds like they want to extend me an offer but can tell i'm still iffy on things so they want to fly me out to mountain view to meet the ceo, founders, directors, etc before we move further. obviously that sounds good but with me being literally on the other side of the planet for two months that puts a damper on things. also the recruiter was trying to tell me they had other candidates i guess to try to humble me a bit but the fact that they're immediately coming back with being ok waiting two months for me to get home sort of tells a different story.

so now i'm at a crossroads and am kind of struggling to decide which direction i want to go in from here.

option #1: stay with my current company

pros: known entity. company is incredibly well managed and i have respect for the entire chain of command from my direct boss all the way to the ceo. the company itself is 'snowballing' where business is starting to grow on its own without all the front work from sales. this is really good seeing as i own stock in the company and can translate to a very nice payday if/when we ipo or sell out. i'm really good at the job i do and get recognition for it. this job also affords me opportunities such as living in singapore for several months and getting to see the gnarly guts of tons of different powerful institutions. banks, healthcare insurers, research firms, governments, etc. steady, strong growth + healthy management = good news for my long term career trajectory.

cons: despite the ~10% YoY raises i've been getting while here i still feel underpaid. i was a moron when talking to hr at the very beginning and told them my total comp which i knew was under market and surprise- they came back like 5% over that. i know exactly how much money i'm pulling in to the company and know i'm getting maybe 1/5 of that. i have my yearly performance review coming up next week and plan to ask for a substantial raise but i have no idea how that's going to play out. this isn't even that big of a deal because i'm making more than enough money to put me on track for a kind-of early retirement but gently caress leaving money on the table. the other con is this job is hard. as anyone who's followed my posts in cjs knows that occasionally this job just beats the poo poo out of me. i'm largely ok with it because that's just part of the job but man it really sucks sometimes. also the ipo money is just a dream until it's real and so far there's still no signs that it's going to be real in the immediate future.

option #2: jump ship

pros: same product story as my current employer in that their database actually loving works and works well. they're firmly nuzzled into their own niche corner of the market where they're essentially untouchable and command a profit margin you'd expect from that. they don't seem to be on the same growth trajectory as my current employer but they seem to be ok with that which is good. the huge glaring pro is that my pay will be significantly increased. like base pay alone increases by ~70%. the other huge pro is that the work will be way easier. my travel will be cut from 100% down to 25-10% and i'll finally be breaking through the developer->architect barrier.

cons: in the immediate this is definitely easy to answer that jumping ship is the choice but i don't know how this will shake out long term. with them being as small as they are and not really growing there really isn't too much room for my career to go anywhere. now- the money i'll be making and lack of stress definitely puts this as something i could ride out for the rest of my working life and be happy, so there's no real wrong choices here. also with them being smaller and being around for less time probably (pulling this totally out of my rear end) puts their IPO even further out. on the flip side with this company being so much smaller i could be getting a much larger percentage.... but how would that translate to raw value on the market?? who loving knows.

so yeah that's what's on my mind. fortunately i have two months at least to sit on this and think on it. if my current employer grants me the raise i want that's going to make this decision even harder. if they don't or if they give me something like 15% then i think i'll just jump.

anyways the entire reason this is happening at all is because i DIDN'T SAY A NUMBER at the very beginning when the recruiter asked on our first call. if i'd said something i would have been looking at a 20% jump in pay tops for switching instead of the 70-80% i'm looking at now. never say a number.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

They won’t fly you out from halfway around the world?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

ha they actually half hinted that they'd be willing to do it but gently caress that

coincidentally one of them is actually coming through for a few days a few weeks from now so we're gonna grab some coffee then

what's killing me is that i've been traveling nonstop for half a year now, including my vacation, and my week home in october was going to be my first time this year that i'd finally have a week at home to just relax. looks like that's gonna include a trip to mountain view now :v:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Captain Foo posted:

Conveniently, in the post you quoted, they mentioned they were going to be in Saskatchewan

You don't say. Tell me more about this post you speak of, the one I quoted.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Rex-Goliath posted:

ha they actually half hinted that they'd be willing to do it but gently caress that

coincidentally one of them is actually coming through for a few days a few weeks from now so we're gonna grab some coffee then

what's killing me is that i've been traveling nonstop for half a year now, including my vacation, and my week home in october was going to be my first time this year that i'd finally have a week at home to just relax. looks like that's gonna include a trip to mountain view now :v:

play consultant games, win consultant prizes

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

yeah i should emphasize that’s a huge pro for jumping. i won’t be a consultant anymore- my job role will be an actual solution architect. so i’ll still need to travel occasionally but it’ll be to get face time with new customers. way way way less stressful. i need to keep that in mind because i keep forgetting to include it when i’m weighing these jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

This is one of those situations where the base salary kinda matters. Re: base comp going up 70%, Are we talking like 80k -> 135k or 200k -> 340k?

One offers a substantially different quality of life, the other is obviously very good but is of relatively less marginal utility. Doesn't sound like you're super hung up on making ALL THE MONEY so getting to 6.5 figgies might matter less to you than being challenged at your job

It kinda sounds like you're fed up with your current job, which plays into that as well. Do you realistically think they'd bring you to parity if you got to have the comp reevaluation? Do you think you'd get a counter if you tried to leave (and more to the point, would you realistically even consider taking it)? Do you see a way out of the logistical aspects of the job that are wearing thin?