Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Captain Invictus posted:

oh of course, as the wife herself points out multiple times, but yeah, it's not about that, it's used as more of a vector to explore people crippled by grief rebuilding, with some silly shenanigans too. And yeah, I can absolutely see with this second chapter being a method of moving on than anything else. Honestly it felt complete as a oneshot, but it also could be a promising story about acceptance and making a new path especially considering the introduction of his coworker in the second chapter.

definitely walking a tightrope with that premise, but it has been going out of its way to avoid anything further than dealing with trauma so far. That said, the author doesn't even have a baka-updates page so I don't know their history. edit: oh wait they do, but there's nothing there except for that series.

But how can you move on when your wife isn't actually dead? I feel like the one-shot would've made a lot more sense if it ended with her losing all her memories of her previous life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I think it was linked in this thread before, The Bones of an Invisible Person has had its final chapter translated. Unlike most of what gets posted here this is certainly not a comedy, but the 22 chapters are definitely worth the read.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
in the latest eldritch senpai, we get the classic school festival arc immediately interrupted by gruesome dismantling of his two classmates by a vagrant :gonk:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

in the latest eldritch senpai, we get the classic school festival arc immediately interrupted by gruesome dismantling of his two classmates by a vagrant :gonk:
They were warned there would be consequences. I didn't expect this though. I don't think it's a coincidence that yet another entity showed up that edits people's memories. I want to bet that maybe this town isn't real, or at least there's some falsehood here

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Two new Senryu Girl

Mecha Shiva!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The comedic timing of that panel and the next 4koma was v. good.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Captain Invictus posted:

Hoofah doofah that got brutal real fast. This new vagrant looks like its in a new league compared to what they've dealt with before, I'm wondering how they'll be able to handle this.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

new Night Owl Witch and new Monsters Can't Clean

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
New Ayakashiko

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
so, Shark Girl, that adorable little 4koma about a girl with shark puppets on her hands, got serialized into a proper non-4koma manga.

it's...not great.

like, it's not BAD, but it just totally whiffs the charm that the pre-serialization had imo.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
Funny yakuza visits a branch of the most powerful, most feared group in Japan: a 100-yen store.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Another episode of Fly! - teleporting girl yumi, now on live TV! And with her first hint at how to maybe get rid of her involuntary teleportation.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

gnome7 posted:

Another episode of Fly! - teleporting girl yumi, now on live TV! And with her first hint at how to maybe get rid of her involuntary teleportation.

The one time she's out of her school uniform, she goes on TV.

L-O-N fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 29, 2019

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

so, Shark Girl, that adorable little 4koma about a girl with shark puppets on her hands, got serialized into a proper non-4koma manga.

it's...not great.

like, it's not BAD, but it just totally whiffs the charm that the pre-serialization had imo.

its bad

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Kemoraifu is just some short surreal stories but they're great

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
That artist really likes that huge bird.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I would like a huge bird too. As long as it doesn't bite.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

A new series, The Villainess' Slow Prison Life Began With Her Broken Engagement
Rachel, the duke's daughter, is falsely accused of crimes, has her engagement with the prince annulled and thrown in prison. Rachel, however, is five steps ahead of the prince. She has already planned and shipped a large amount of supplies to her cell and she is ready to enjoy a slow leisurely life in her cell, away from the responsibilities of nobility.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
What IS this subgenre of "Extremely Capable Captured Princess" manga??

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Female power fantasy?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Artificer posted:

Female power fantasy?

That's extremely depressing

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

What IS this subgenre of "Extremely Capable Captured Princess" manga??

loving fantastic is what it is

edit [Rorschach Watchmen Voice] Im not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me

I AM THE MOON fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 29, 2019

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

HenryEx posted:

Yeah.

I eat these up like the snacks she has in her prison. Anyone got more?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

I AM THE MOON posted:

edit [Rorschach Watchmen Voice] Im not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me

This except Alexandria Ocasio Cortez tweeting the quote.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Bakarina isn't really the same thing, but it kinda is? 'Villainess slow prison life' reminded me of it anyway.

Girl gets reincarnated as the villain of an otome game and realizes that all the endings she played end up with this character getting killed or exiled, so starts furiously trying to avoid the destruction flags from the game, at the same time basically inverting the plot and gathering a reverse-harem in the process. She's denser than a neutron star and never really twigs to exactly how far off the rails things are going (When she meets the otome protagonist she's always curiously wondering what route she's on and can't figure out that all the routes in game are into HER instead)

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Crasical posted:

Bakarina isn't really the same thing, but it kinda is? 'Villainess slow prison life' reminded me of it anyway.

Girl gets reincarnated as the villain of an otome game and realizes that all the endings she played end up with this character getting killed or exiled, so starts furiously trying to avoid the destruction flags from the game, at the same time basically inverting the plot and gathering a reverse-harem in the process. She's denser than a neutron star and never really twigs to exactly how far off the rails things are going (When she meets the otome protagonist she's always curiously wondering what route she's on and can't figure out that all the routes in game are into HER instead)

Oh yeah I love Bakarina. That's good stuff. Anything else?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Crasical posted:

Bakarina has a similar tone to Nozaki, full of genre geniuses smugly congratulating themselves for all the wrong insights.

I'm looking forward to the anime next year.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

HenryEx posted:

From the description I get the idea that she'll be in jail watching everything crumble without her as they've decided she's committed some nebulous never defined crime.

But on the other hand I'm absolutely big on overpowered character isekais going around fixing things on a grand scale, so I'd be down if any of those, but women instead, happen.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Squidster posted:

Bakarina has a similar tone to Nozaki, full of genre geniuses smugly congratulating themselves for all the wrong insights.

Yes. Yes, she is.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I just binged all of Bakarina because of the past couple posts and holy crap is that a good manga. The latest chapter has ended on such a brutal cliffhanger, too, I'll be eagerly following it going forward.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

gnome7 posted:

I just binged all of Bakarina because of the past couple posts and holy crap is that a good manga. The latest chapter has ended on such a brutal cliffhanger, too, I'll be eagerly following it going forward.

I guarantee if you like bakarina you will like this one:
Lady Rose Wants to be a Commoner

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I will forever love the chapter of Bakarina where she gets accused of the plan that would have landed her in trouble in the "normal" (i.e. non-isekai) timeline, and everyone's response is "No way, she's an idiot, she could never think of a plan so complex and involved." :allears:

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Captain Invictus posted:

I guarantee if you like bakarina you will like this one:
Lady Rose Wants to be a Commoner

There has *got* to be some specific game or manga that these manga are riffing on. Fantasy setting, nobles, evil betrothed, kind-hearted commoner girl, bullying, there are too many common points.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

A magic academy for nobles with a commoner or bastard heroine

E: as far as favorites go, besides Bakarina my favorite is
https://mangadex.org/title/35064/i-m-a-villainous-daughter-so-i-m-going-to-keep-the-last-boss

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 30, 2019

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Crasical posted:

There has *got* to be some specific game or manga that these manga are riffing on. Fantasy setting, nobles, evil betrothed, kind-hearted commoner girl, bullying, there are too many common points.

Sounds more like a generic trope of fantasy romantic drama. Aren't there like a billion otome style games since they're easy to make?

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I know nothing about otome games, which is why I'm asking.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Crasical posted:

Like other genres of isekai, it's a constant ourobouros of self-reference. One becomes popular and a dozen pop up with the same template.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Slow Prison Life
Bakarina
Villainous Daughter
Lady Rose

I only had read Bakarina but on thread recommendation, I checked out the others and I'm enjoying all of these. Welcome to the Otomeverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i tend to forget that +tic nee-san exists, but now there are some new chapters. https://mangadex.org/chapter/673582/1

the first one is a real doozy.