Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

When you realize those strangle metal birds are making you fly to that giant hurricane in the distance

Rodan was so cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Rodan was so cool.

Yeah he was really loving good, and his theme music is really loving cool, especially when the bongos start playing and the choir hypemen chant his name.

Say what you will about KOTM, but the soundtrack is amazing

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Incorporating characters' names into music is a lot of fun - Dragon Ball Super: Broly used it to good effect too to the point they're literally chanting the names as characters beat the poo poo out of each other

Put that with giant kaijus as they wreck cities? Hell yes

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Vinylshadow posted:

Incorporating characters' names into music is a lot of fun - Dragon Ball Super: Broly used it to good effect too to the point they're literally chanting the names as characters beat the poo poo out of each other

Put that with giant kaijus as they wreck cities? Hell yes

Gogeta, Gogeta hosed owned in the cinema.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I'm seeing Aug 27th as the home video release date.

https://www.dvdsreleasedates.com/movies/7084/godzilla-king-of-the-monsters

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Yeah he was really loving good, and his theme music is really loving cool, especially when the bongos start playing and the choir hypemen chant his name.

Say what you will about KOTM, but the soundtrack is amazing

The horn work on his track is absolutely wild.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Behold, the Holy Grail

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/2648-godzilla-the-showa-era-films-1954-1975

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Slamming pre-order on this immediately.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

HOLY FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

No charge till it ships to so thats awesome and only $10 to get it to Canada.

$190 USD -- so about $250 CAD.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 25, 2019

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bought immediately.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What is this - 2? 3? years in the making?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Vintersorg posted:

What is this - 2? 3? years in the making?

At least. Criterion put out their G'54 release back in 2011 and I imagine they've been trying to snap up the rights to the other Showa films for at least the past 3 or 4. Classic Media had a good chunk of them for a while, and those wound up in the Criterion library in 2017 or so, but I imagine they had to pry the rights to King Kong vs. Godzilla away from Universal with a crowbar.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Shiiiit, I leave on vacation on Sunday and don't get paid until next week, so I really can't afford that right now.

Hopefully it's available for preorder for a while.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

Bought immediately.

Same

:getin:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Annath posted:

Shiiiit, I leave on vacation on Sunday and don't get paid until next week, so I really can't afford that right now.

Hopefully it's available for preorder for a while.

You don't get charged till October! Get it NOW!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's one hell of a nice surprise.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Debating if I should preorder now or take a gamble and wait on the November B&N sale.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Vintersorg posted:

You don't get charged till October! Get it NOW!

Fantastic, just ordered. This is amazing.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Several that they don’t have on the channel too, that’s rad

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

Debating if I should preorder now or take a gamble and wait on the November B&N sale.

There’s a Criterion sale on B&N right now until August 4th. I’ve been checking constantly today to see if they start listing this.

https://twitter.com/pattymo/status/1154447108130295809?s=21

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 25, 2019

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jet Jaguar in pristine 1080p eeee

Imagine if these were 4k :aaaaa:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Ebirah and Megalon now have the impressive distinction of being the only movies to be enshrined in the Criterion canon and also serve as the basis for Mystery Science Theater 3000 episodes.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Godzilla vs. Hedorah is going to be in the goddamn Criterion Collection and I couldn't be happier.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Guys. The Invasion of the Astro-Monster cover. You guys.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
That cover art! I need a poster of the box set art, maybe the Arthur Adams (KK vs G) and Geoff Darrow (Hedorah) ones as well... I can't see the new art for Godzilla, tho

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

HannibalBarca posted:

Ebirah and Megalon now have the impressive distinction of being the only movies to be enshrined in the Criterion canon and also serve as the basis for Mystery Science Theater 3000 episodes.

If Lena Dunham's film school movie can be in the Criterion then so too can Space Mutiny

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

brocked posted:

That cover art! I need a poster of the box set art, maybe the Arthur Adams (KK vs G) and Geoff Darrow (Hedorah) ones as well... I can't see the new art for Godzilla, tho

Geoff Darrow's cover looks loving phoned in. Ugh.

sethsez posted:

Godzilla vs. Hedorah is going to be in the goddamn Criterion Collection and I couldn't be happier.

Yep :c00l:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Vince MechMahon posted:

Guys. The Invasion of the Astro-Monster cover. You guys.

Oh my god

(...zilla)

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Uncle Wemus posted:

If Lena Dunham's film school movie can be in the Criterion then so too can Space Mutiny

This is an idea I can get behind.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Geoff Darrow's cover looks loving phoned in. Ugh.

Yep :c00l:

It’s immediately recognizable as Darrow but also the worst of those covers. Weird

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8qmkEKFsCw

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Cool.

I remember there was a G-Fan issue back in the 90s that featured a bar graph of number of times Godzilla used his atomic breath in each film.

Spoiler alert: Heisei movies had the highest. What a shock. I'm tempted to say GvsBiollante had the most (perhaps due to Super X2) but not 100% sure.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
I need some help - does anyone know where to get a copy of Gunhed for a decent price? Not specifically Godzilla related, but close enough where I figure others have tracked down a copy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've seen a very bare-bones supposed leak of the basic outline of Godzilla vs Kong floating around the internet this evening. Who knows if it's accurate or just a rumor.

Supposedly, after the disaster in-setting that was King of the Monsters, Monarch has been driven underground and the governments of the world are determined to kill Godzilla. To this end, they've found one kaiju and created two more: King Kong, Mechagodzilla, and Destroyah, here simply called The Destroyer. Monarch is mostly incidental in the movie until the human protagonists get Godzilla and Kong to make peace and take out Mecha and Destroyah for the film's big finish. The other kaiju from King are referenced and shown very briefly in a montage, but play no part in the film.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cythereal posted:

I've seen a very bare-bones supposed leak of the basic outline of Godzilla vs Kong floating around the internet this evening. Who knows if it's accurate or just a rumor.

Supposedly, after the disaster in-setting that was King of the Monsters, Monarch has been driven underground and the governments of the world are determined to kill Godzilla. To this end, they've found one kaiju and created two more: King Kong, Mechagodzilla, and Destroyah, here simply called The Destroyer. Monarch is mostly incidental in the movie until the human protagonists get Godzilla and Kong to make peace and take out Mecha and Destroyah for the film's big finish. The other kaiju from King are referenced and shown very briefly in a montage, but play no part in the film.

Care to link so I can find it myself? I'll take a PM if you'd rather not chance it

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Well...frick

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That seems like the safest way to go about it which works from a spectacle standpoint but I was hoping for more.

And by more I mean Biollante.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Considering that the stories, both conceptually and in execution, were weak points for me in both G'14 and KOTM, I have pretty much zero hope that they'll manage to put something together that's particularly interesting.

Honestly, just re-doing the plot of the original King Kong vs. Godzilla, where the two monsters fight as a result of some hare-brained scheme by a corrupt pharmaceutical executive, would be more compelling and timely than anything the writers for Kong v. Godzilla are likely to come up with.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

On the other side of the Pacific, Toho and Tsubaraya have announced that Shinji Higuchi and Hideaki Anno are reuniting for Shin Ultraman, a movie that's about, well, Ultraman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

On the other side of the Pacific, Toho and Tsubaraya have announced that Shinji Higuchi and Hideaki Anno are reuniting for Shin Ultraman, a movie that's about, well, Ultraman.

Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 just got delayed again. :v: