Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

kommy5 posted:

I prefer baking, myself. But putting down a pizza at a gaming table is almost traditional, even if it's unusual to make it yourself from scratch. Cookies are also a good bet. I'm just thankful none of my friends or family refuse gluten. Plus baking a pizza in a pan is surprisingly low effort especially if you have a machine to knead the dough for you.

And now I'm hungry.

More on topic, it's interesting that Ironsworn seems more focused as a narrative generation engine than anything else. And while I like that as an idea, I'll be curious how long it can go before it gets stale or repetitive.

Pizza from scratch is actually great for gaming parties, because good dough is made anywhere from 24 hours to several days in advance. The main bottleneck in my experience is oven size, you can only really fit one at a time and homemade pizzas tend to be on the small side.

Then again my group runs game nights as rotating elaborate dinner parties so my idea of gaming food is probably very off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

My old gaming group was 3/5th hardcore cooking nerds so whoever was hosting would just make elaborate 4 course feasts.

"Ah yes, tonight we will be running Blades in the Dark. I have made fresh baozi with a pork and mushroom stuff, here are three dipping sauces, there's a cucumber salad in malayu. The hongshaorou should be done braising in a bit and then this is the twice cooked pork with leeks and broccoli. Beers are in the fridge."

I miss the gently caress out of that group.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

What the gently caress, Monte?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Look, his name isn't Monte Chef.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Relevant Tangent posted:

Look, his name isn't Monte Chef.

Monte Chief, he did an extensive supersoldier program that gave him a +1 to attack rolls made using a rifle and the ability to see enemy movement in the dark (does not enable him to read in the dark or see facial features in the dark)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Apparently he doesn't even know how to make a grilled cheese though.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Xiahou Dun posted:

dijon mustard.

the secret to great grilled cheese

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

dijon mustard.

the secret to great grilled cheese

No the secret is getting the flip right and choosing a good melty cheese.

Putting some good mustard on is like step one. That's not a secret.

That's like saying the secret is dipping it in tomato soup ; everyone knows that. It's just what you do.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mustard?! A good creamy mayonnaise is the base for the perfect grilled cheese.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Butter or die you damned heathens.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Relevant Tangent posted:

Mustard?! A good creamy mayonnaise is the base for the perfect grilled cheese.

Porque no los dos????? A little honey-dijon remoulade with lots of capers? I'd add a light arugala salad with balsamic vinegar to contrast, but that'd be getting all fancy. I'd love to add horseradish but that'd just over-power everything.

(Sorry I'm doing so much food chat. If people want, in penance, I'll give recipes tomorrow. I like cooking. Sue me.)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Xiahou Dun posted:

everyone knows that. It's just what you do.
Counterpoint:

The two jokers above me. :D

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

No you sautee the bread in the butter before you even make the sandwich. God. Are you even trying.

A good pat of butter, sautee on both sides, then add your favorite spread and a mix of American cheese for the melt and then just whatever you want. Gouda, cheddar, Cotswald is pretty good too. Figure it out. (You can make your own American cheese out of any other cheese but it's a bit of work). I did it with feta once and it worked way better than you'd think.

Then you add more butter to the pan and plonk the sandwich down and microflip until it's like a crusty brown letter to god.

God. Have none of you grilled a cheese.

You're welcome.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I apparently have very strong feelings about grilled cheese sandwiches and should just go for a walk.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Wait'll we start arguing about bread and condiments. The One True Grilled Cheese is a proper quest. With many foes to be dealt with along the way.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Before anyone says anything : it's home-made brioche or challa.

Get out of here, other, lesser breads.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

is there a type of bread that really shines when you bake it in a bbq grill? I just got a grill, and I can't stop grilling.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

mike12345 posted:

is there a type of bread that really shines when you bake it in a bbq grill? I just got a grill, and I can't stop grilling.

i don't know that there are many breads that are actually grilled, i think they burn pretty quickly. I know a lot of middle eastern flatbreads are cooked via charcoal oven, but they seem to mostly be done on like a skillet or something

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

mike12345 posted:

Pita loving shines on the grill, but yeah also flatbreads in general.

Make a fresh flatbread and then cover it in pesto and feta cheese.Maybe a bit of country ham and sun-dried tomato if you want to guild the lilly.

You'll basically be received like a religious icon.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

If you're gonna do it with a more traditonal Western bread, you either want something super light and just to kiss it for a second on the grill. Or you want something super hardy that can hold up to it like a pumpernickle or whatever.

If you're trying to make bread on the grill itself, you need a bespoke recipe. Serious Eats has some decent ones that I've tried.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

you could probably also make a setup in the grill for making steamed breads, and they would get some extra flavour from the charcoal, could be nice.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Charcoal bao with a couple skewers of some kind of spiced meat on a stick are a thing.

Sorry, this just got turned into the cooking thread.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Charcoal bao with a couple skewers of some kind of spiced meat on a stick are a thing.

Sorry, this just got turned into the cooking thread.

Still somewhat shorter than the recent food derail in the self-own thread.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

No you sautee the bread in the butter before you even make the sandwich. God. Are you even trying.

A good pat of butter, sautee on both sides, then add your favorite spread and a mix of American cheese for the melt and then just whatever you want. Gouda, cheddar, Cotswald is pretty good too. Figure it out. (You can make your own American cheese out of any other cheese but it's a bit of work). I did it with feta once and it worked way better than you'd think.

Then you add more butter to the pan and plonk the sandwich down and microflip until it's like a crusty brown letter to god.

God. Have none of you grilled a cheese.

You're welcome.

lmao at going to this effort and still using lovely american cheese.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I was not expecting this thread to make me hungry, I hold you all responsible for what I may inflict on my poor overworked stomach!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Hungry? How about thirsty?

Vampire: The Masquerade (2nd Edition)

Preface
Chapter 1: Introduction
Chapter 2: Setting
Interlude: A History of Face Grabbing
Chapter 3: Storytelling
Chapter 4: Rules
Chapter 5: Character
Chapter 6: Traits
Chapter 7, Part 1: Clans
Chapter 7, Part 2: Traits
Chapter 7, Part 3: Disciplines
Chapter 8, Part 1: Dramatic Systems

Chapter 8, Part 2: Dramatic Systems

It’s finally time to cover the mechanics that rule the nature of the vampire itself--drinking blood and the things that can still kill you.

quote:

it is a cheering thought to think
that god is on the side of the best digestion

--James Joyce, “Love Like Blood”
Blood Pool is the mechanic for measuring how well-fed you are. A 13th Generation Kindred can hold 10 Blood Points, while lower-Generation Kindred can hold more. (Note that after vampires drink blood, it becomes a mystical ichor called “vitae,” so elder vampires aren’t bloated blood bags.)

You get Blood Points by biting people and drinking their blood, obviously. You can drain up to 3 points per turn, but since feeding is the only physical pleasure Kindred really enjoy, they prefer to drink as slowly as they can get away with. An adult human has 10 Blood Points worth of blood. Draining 5 points is life-threatening, and 7 points ensures they’ll die without treatment. (In reality, losing 40% of your blood is more than enough to kill you if you don’t get a transfusion very quickly.) Since mortals don’t actually have a Blood Pool, assume each point drained deals a level of damage.

Once a vampire bites their victim and drains a single Blood Point, the victim stops resisting, lost in a trance as they experience the same pleasure as the vampire. It’s better than sex, heroin, and a new Pink Turns Blue album combined. Kindred can fight back, but only mortals with Willpower 9-10 have the wherewithal to do so. Kindred can heal a bite wound on their victim by licking it, making it easier to feed without killing or leaving telltale signs of vampire attack.

Be a psychopathic murderer or solve the rat and pigeon problem, it’s up to you

It is possible to feed from animals, but the blood is far less nourishing even when there’s more of it. Preserved blood is also much less potent. Even if you wanted to keep a farm instead of feeding on humans, that’s not really practical. Still, some Nosferatu get by on stray animals.

So how do you lose Blood? First, every vampire spends a Blood Point just to wake up every night. That means you need 37 people worth of blood every year, before you even consider the other stuff you can spend Blood on. If you’re out of Blood, you start losing a Health level every night, in addition to being starving hungry and looking like a zombie.

Second, vampires don’t heal wounds naturally. Each level of damage healed costs a Blood Point. Aggravated damage can only be healed at the rate of 1 point per day, and costs 5 Blood Points per Health Level. Have fun finding prey when you look like a starved burn victim.

Third, you can spend a Blood Point to increase one of your Physical Attributes for the rest of the scene. Now you see why that “max Blood Point spend per turn” column on the Generation chart is a big advantage in combat.

Some Disciplines require you to spend Blood. Your current Blood Pool is also the limit for any Self-Control rolls, which is why hungry vampires are prone to going into frenzy and attacking victims at random. You can cut yourself and share blood with a hungry Kindred--but that has its own risks.

That risk is called the Blood Bond. When you drink a vampire’s blood, it gives them a psychological hold over you. This applies to mortals and Kindred alike. When you drink from them on three separate occasions, you’re Blood Bound. The victim of a Blood Bond is called a Thrall, while their master is called a Regnant. Methuselahs play their games of Jyhad by secretly enthralling younger Kindred to act as their agents. This is yet another reason Kindred politics are so paranoid.

Being Blood Bound is like being in love, in a relationship where the other person has all the power. You probably know that you’re Bound, and might hate what it makes you do, but you’re powerless to do anything about it. A Blood Bond makes it difficult to even think about refusing or acting against your Regnant, much less harm them. You’re obsessed with your Regnant and they are the central figure in your life. A Thrall will perform almost any favour asked of them by their Regnant, though they will balk at extreme risks.

Mechanically, being Blood Bound makes it easier for your Regnant to Dominate you. Much more importantly, even disobedient thoughts cost you Willpower. The only way to break a bond is by spending a huge amount of Willpower over a long period of time, while avoiding your Regnant so that they can’t force you to renew the Bond by drinking more of their blood.

The only advantage of being Blood Bound is that you can only be Bound to one person, so an existing Bond protects you from another. Two Kindred can even become Blood Bound to each other, believing it’s the only way the undead can experience true love. Such romances are frowned upon, to say the least--they’re desperate and obsessive and end badly.

The other side of the Blood Bond is Diablerie, which is draining another Kindred to death to make yourself stronger. If you drain all of another vampire’s Blood, and keep drinking, you can devour their very soul. If they are of an earlier Generation than you, it lowers your Generation by one.

Mechanically, you have to drain all of their Blood, keep drinking until all their Health Levels are gone, and make a Strength roll to basically suck their soul out. Committing diablerie always provokes a Humanity check. There’s no real benefit to committing diablerie on Kindred of equal or greater Generation, and remember that Auspex and Thaumaturgy can detect vampires who have committed diablerie.

While they don’t give hard and fast rules, “some say” that diablerizing a much older vampire means that multiple Kindred can enjoy the benefits of diablerie at once. You can also preserve elder blood, for a quick pick-me-up and possibly to temporarily gain the benefits of their Disciplines.

It’s obvious that you can build a whole chronicle around hunting elders. Diablerie is what the elders fear most, and thus the greatest crime Kindred can commit. (Note that holding a network of Kindred minions in Thrall is not forbidden anywhere in the Traditions.) Thus, diablerie is extremely cool and good. gently caress you, Vampire Dad.

Speaking of things you can build an entire chronicle around, some Kindred seek Golconda. Golconda is a spiritual journey that ends with a vampire transcending their inhuman nature. It’s a mystical state in which a vampire has truly accepted and learned to live with their Beast instead of constantly fighting against it.

Golconda is a legend to most vampires, and some regard it as a childish fairy tale. But it definitely exists, and some few Kindred who have achieved Golconda travel from city to city, preaching the Good News about Not Eating People. The Inconnu, that secretive sect of elders who renounce politics and the Jyhad, is said to be made up of Kindred who seek or have attained Golconda.

There’s no mechanical process for achieving Golconda. It’s meant to be a Hero’s Journey that starts with seeking out legends and secrets, develops by showing remorse for past misdeeds and developing compassion, and culminates in a mystical dream-quest. It requires finding a mentor, and making restitution for past wrongs, so it’s like the most goth 12-step program ever.

Once achieved, there are mechanical benefits for Golconda: you only burn one Blood Point per week, and you never suffer frenzy or Rotschreck. To maintain Golconda, your Humanity must stay at 7 or higher, and your Conscience at 4 or higher.

An alternative to Golconda is Rebirth--becoming human again. As with so many things, “it is said” that the penultimate stage of seeking Golconda gives you the option of becoming human again. Other suggested ways of achieving Rebirth are a complicated set of rituals, or killing your sire, grandsire, and grand-grandsire. There are no real rules covering this; it’s also meant to be a campaign seed. Another suggestion is that a vampire who dies in an incredibly heroic way might experience death as a mortal, not as a Kindred.

So what do I think of Golconda? In the main, I don’t. It’s essentially a chronicle option unto itself, and an interesting one to be sure, but it didn’t get much attention from the developers as time went on. I don’t think they intend you to keep playing PCs who have achieved Golconda, and if they did, it would just be another character option. It was never written out of the game, but became a curiosity that formed a small part of the metaplot. From a cynical point of view, there’s little reason to expand on something that’s incongruous with the campaign modules and metaplots you’re publishing. From a creative point of view, the Golconda concept probably wouldn’t benefit from more elaborate rules.

quote:

No two bloodsuckers go out the same way. Some yell and scream, some go quietly. Some explode, some implode. But all will try and take you with them.

Othello, As I Lay Dying

The last and least esoteric statistic to cover is Health, the hit points of this game. Health always seemed a little wonky to me because while everything else in Vampire runs on a 1-5 or 1-10 scale, you have 7 Health levels.

You lose Health Levels when you’re injured, and those wound penalties apply to all your dice pools. Mortals take days, weeks, or months to heal, and if they take more than 7 Health Levels of damage, they’re dead. Vampires aren’t innately more resistant to damage, but they are harder to kill.

When a vampire loses all their Health Levels, all they can do is lie there and spend Blood Points to heal themselves. If you’re Incapacitated and out of Blood, you enter torpor, a state of suspended animation. The length of torpor depends on your Humanity, ranging from days to centuries. You can be awakened if someone’s nice enough to feed you.

So how can you meet Final Death? If you’re out of Blood and Health Levels and you take any aggravated damage, as from fire or sunlight, you’re dead. Otherwise, it’s up to the Storyteller’s common sense--vampires can be killed by decapitation or anything that totally pulverizes a body, like explosions or deep sea pressure. Funny enough, they don’t prescribe what happens to a vampire’s remains. Fire and sunlight will burn you to ash, of course, but other things? Up to you. My favourite popular interpretation is “you become as if you were never Embraced,” so neonates leave rotten corpses and Methuselahs leave only dust.

Brief notes on sources of damage outside of combat:

Fire bad! It does aggravated damage (so only your Fortitude rating can soak it) and it can hurt you turn after turn. Fire is not only able to kill vampires, it hurts them worse than mortals.

Sunlight is even worse. I mean, it’s everywhere. Same problem as fire. You can see now why I don’t think having Fortitude is all that great.

Stakes are another particular problem for vampires. Taking a stake to the heart sends you into torpor until the stake is removed. It doesn’t say whether it has to be a wooden stake, nor that you can’t do the same thing with a Bowie knife.

UV lamps and extreme heat (like 200F and up) can hurt you like sunlight or fire, but with less damage, and usually not aggravated.

Falling does one Health Level per 10 feet, to a maximum of 10.

Freezing cold is dangerous to vampires because they have no body heat. At the Storyteller’s discretion, make Stamina+Fortitude rolls with increasing Difficulty for each roll. Burning Blood will temporarily counter the effects.

Vampires can’t die from human diseases, but they can catch them, lose Health Levels from them, and transmit them to mortal victims. This doesn’t really make sense to me when your Blood becomes mystical vitae, but I suppose there are themes of plague and the Other that couldn’t be done otherwise.

Ring of +5 Thaumaturgy, Ring of +5 Protean, Ring of Fire Immunity, Ring of Sunlight Immunity, Studded Hat of Bat-making GBS threads,

So if you can survive being impaled, thrown off a roof, burned, and other Kindred trying to drink your blood or feed you their blood or whatever, let’s talk about the real reason you’re playing this game: Experience Points.

Vampires find it hard to truly mature, but they have plenty of time to accumulate knowledge and skill. Besides the point costs, the most important thing to know about XP is that the Storyteller is supposed to gatekeep it. They have to agree that you’ve have downtime to learn an Ability, or actually done something to reflect a personal change that justifies increasing your Virtues, etc. I think that is fair for the narrative Traits, or players would just treat losing Humanity as an XP tax. (After character creation, increasing Virtues doesn’t also increase their derived Traits.)

Disciplines are a particular sticking point. To advance in a Discipline you don’t already know, you should seek out a tutor, or perhaps find a mystical amulet that awakens new powers--if the Storyteller feels like dealing with it. Granted, it’s lame if you can just decide to learn Thaumaturgy because you had a few extra points to spend.

(As an aside, there are multiple hints in the corebook about the possibility of magical items, and potions in the form of vials of elder vitae. While a handful of such items were introduced in an early sourcebook, this mostly fell by the wayside as the line went on. Other WoD games are full of such items, but I suppose they decided it wasn’t in the spirit of Vampire. As it is, it feels like a sop to D&D cliches that the game grew out of.)

So what do these costs mean in terms of how many XP you get per session? First, everybody gets 1 XP just for playing. Goddamn snowflake millennials and their participation trophies. There are several categories of XP award that the Storyteller can hand out if they think the player earned it.

Learning Curve: Your character learned something meaningful from their experiences.

Acting: You roleplayed well.

Roleplaying: You roleplayed your Nature and Demeanor really well. I do not know why they’re hung up on this. I suppose they’re really into the idea of the Hero’s Journey, to the point that exemplifying archetypes is seen as something important in its own right.

Heroism: Kindred are selfish pricks, and actually putting yourself at risk for others deserves a reward.

Success: The coterie furthered their goals.

Danger: You survived dangerous situations.

Wisdom: The coterie succeeded because of your foresight or cleverness.

I’m not a fan of GMs handing out what might be wildly varying XP awards based on how much you like so-and-so’s character. I prefer it either be equal, or a baseline with a couple extra points awarded by vote.

Next time on Kindred the Embraced: “Drama,” which in this game means dice rolling and combat.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

Well, of course, he'd rather have a Monte Cristo.

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

I always thought the seven health levels were a biblical reference. Supposedly, whoever harmed Cain would receive the same harm sevenfold, so even doing one health level to the Father of Vampires would put you down for the count.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

kommy5 posted:

More on topic, it's interesting that Ironsworn seems more focused as a narrative generation engine than anything else. And while I like that as an idea, I'll be curious how long it can go before it gets stale or repetitive.
It should be pointed out that Ironsworn does have an "endgame" of sorts. Doing things will fill the progress trackers for all your vows, and there is a "retire your character to safety" move you roll when you feel you've done enough.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Oberndorf posted:

I always thought the seven health levels were a biblical reference. Supposedly, whoever harmed Cain would receive the same harm sevenfold, so even doing one health level to the Father of Vampires would put you down for the count.

considering that (in oWoD) it took nuclear weapons to eliminate some Antediluvians during the end times, i would have to imagine that whatever it would take to deal even a single level of damage to Cain would be more than enough to obliterate the person making the attempt, as it would probably be something like "pull an asteroid out of space and try to land it on his noggin, also congratulations you started another ice age"

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

Freaking Crumbum posted:

considering that (in oWoD) it took nuclear weapons to eliminate some Antediluvians during the end times, i would have to imagine that whatever it would take to deal even a single level of damage to Cain would be more than enough to obliterate the person making the attempt, as it would probably be something like "pull an asteroid out of space and try to land it on his noggin, also congratulations you started another ice age"

True, but that was once they decided that ancient vampires had “plot device” powers with 10 dot Disciplines, and the guy who ate a nuke had Fortitude. Back in the 2E days things were mechanically more restrained.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Oberndorf's not joking, by the way. They came up with 5-10 dot powers in one supplement, but later decided that the 10 dot power for every Discipline is "Plot Device."

Anyway.

In Gehenna, the sevenfold curse is an optional thing, assuming Caine actually shows up, and assuming someone actually tries to fight him. One of the weirdest things about Gehenna is that you have multiple possibilities for Antediluvian battle royales that the PCs can't really participate in. And there are no stats given for any of these characters, certainly not Caine. Have fun watching a bunch of demigods punch each other out while the Storyteller contrives some reason for you to make a difference in all this.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 26, 2019

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Halloween Jack posted:

In Gehenna, the sevenfold curse is an optional thing, assuming Caine actually shows up, and assuming someone actually tries to fight him. One of the weirdest things about Gehenna is that you have multiple possibilities for Antediluvian battle royales that the PCs can't really participate in. And there are no stats given for any of these characters, certainly not Caine. Have fun watching a bunch of demigods punch each other out while the Storyteller contrives some reason for you to make a difference in all this.
Mid-apocalypse scavenging and survival session where the PCs try to find fresh popcorn, a butter dispenser they can mix blood into to drizzle it with, and a rooftop with a good view while the heavens fall.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

There's some value in "god-NPCs fighting as a back drop to PC action", even when there's no chance the PCs will affect the "important" stuff. I ran a very fun "Dragon-Blooded during the Usurpation" game, and I've played in a number of "what are you doing while the apocalypse is happening" games, though the only one of those remotely connected to WoD was a silly Fist of the North Star-ish mashup one-shot where we all built the most broken bullshit possible (I chose correctly because I chose Mage). I've run at least two "the bombs are dropping, what do you guys do" games. It all depends on framing and buy-in.

It's basically the action movie cousin to the more understated, legit personal horror scenarios like that one where a bunch of vampires are trapped in a church as some mist or whatever kills everyone else outside. In the one you dwell on your life of monstrosity and have moments of drama with similar tortured souls, while in the other you drive a car through the end of Man of Steel except Henry Cavill and Michael Shannon have fangs.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Yeah, there's stories to be told and played out of "some really serious stuff you cannot stop is going on in the background, what do you do?" like the movie Miracle Mile.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

That Old Tree posted:

There's some value in "god-NPCs fighting as a back drop to PC action", even when there's no chance the PCs will affect the "important" stuff. I ran a very fun "Dragon-Blooded during the Usurpation" game, and I've played in a number of "what are you doing while the apocalypse is happening" games, though the only one of those remotely connected to WoD was a silly Fist of the North Star-ish mashup one-shot where we all built the most broken bullshit possible (I chose correctly because I chose Mage). I've run at least two "the bombs are dropping, what do you guys do" games. It all depends on framing and buy-in.

It's basically the action movie cousin to the more understated, legit personal horror scenarios like that one where a bunch of vampires are trapped in a church as some mist or whatever kills everyone else outside. In the one you dwell on your life of monstrosity and have moments of drama with similar tortured souls, while in the other you drive a car through the end of Man of Steel except Henry Cavill and Michael Shannon have fangs.

Only War has plenty of issues of its own, but I find it lends itself well to this style. Completing a mission while a bombardment or exterminatus rages. Desperately avoiding the superhuman Good and Bad marines fighting. Carrying out a small holding action at the foot of a Titan. Even if you aren't deciding the outcome of the battle, it matters very much to you whether you live through it

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

That Old Tree posted:

There's some value in "god-NPCs fighting as a back drop to PC action", even when there's no chance the PCs will affect the "important" stuff.
But in this case it's not a backdrop to what you're doing, it's the scene. Often the only thing you can do in these scenarios is run a very important errand for some ancient vampire, then stand around watching the important characters do stuff.

I do think a lot of people have a hard time grasping the idea of playing a campaign set during a time of great tumult where your PCs are not at the center of that conflict. But in this case, the apocalyptic war is playing out in the form of Demigod Bumfights in an alley somewhere. WoD games don't lend themselves to playing out a small corner of a global conflict in the same way as WFRP or Godlike.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 26, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

That seems to be what made Apocalypse the best of the End Times stuff. While the big names are all out there fighting, none of them are going to be particularly over-leveled if you're the same Rank, more or less, and it's the PCs who get to do all the cool stuff because the NPCs are the ones who die to show it's, you know, the Apocalypse.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Halloween Jack posted:

But in this case it's not a backdrop to what you're doing, it's the scene. Often the only thing you can do in these scenarios is run a very important errand for some ancient vampire, then stand around watching the important characters do stuff.

I do think a lot of people have a hard time grasping the idea of playing a campaign set during a time of great tumult where your PCs are not at the center of that conflict. But in this case, the apocalyptic war is playing out in the form of Demigod Bumfights in an alley somewhere. WoD games don't lend themselves to playing out a small corner of a global conflict in the same way as WFRP or Godlike.

Oh yeah, I'm definitely not saying White Wolf was any good at framing this stuff except by accident of chosen freelancer until much, much later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
After seeing my write-up of The Widlerlands of High Fantasy marked as "Abandoned" on Inkless pen I remembered it was a thing I was supposed to be doing and have gotten back to work on it. I'm about a third of the way through the woefully long "Geographical Features" section, so expect a new update...soonish?