Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
My experience has been that the amount of fun you can have as a shaman is tied to how much money the campaign is willing to throw your way to spend on shamanistic fetishes. At least in the main games companions refresh theirs for free which means they're always useful, but when the player uses one it's gone for good and replenishing the high-level ones is very expensive. And you still gotta buy spells and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Shamans spend most of their time buffing, and they contribute a lot because their buffs are good, but "cast haste" isn't the most exciting gameplay.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
I don't want to spend too much time discussing fetishes with you guys.

Adept

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Yeah, I also prefer the earlier version with red cap and less accessories.

Now, let's see. Clearly, another day will have cleared the situation regarding our class up.

code:
Mage:   IIIII
Shaman: IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Adept:  IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Last vote: Lux Animus, Jul 24, 2019 21:54
...hrm. Well, I'll probably be closing the vote tomorrow, when I'm back at home. Let's see if you can fix this with another day.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Adept

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
shaman

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

wiegieman posted:

Shamans spend most of their time buffing, and they contribute a lot because their buffs are good, but "cast haste" isn't the most exciting gameplay.

Yeah, I love having Dietrich along as well as the Hong Kong shaman because they're extremely useful support characters and also both well designed, fun to be around characters, but I like my main to have some oomph and frankly Shamans are lacking in that department when compared to adept and mage.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Voting Adebt because Shamans are great to have around (Hi Dietrich) but bad to have in the party. Taking up one of the four party slots with a pure support character is a rough sell, but especially bad when your the one doing the supporting.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, I love having Dietrich along as well as the Hong Kong shaman because they're extremely useful support characters and also both well designed, fun to be around characters, but I like my main to have some oomph and frankly Shamans are lacking in that department when compared to adept and mage.

I honestly wasn't a big fan of Dietrich - as far as gameplay is concerned, anyway. My team in my last Dragonfall run on Very Hard was almost always Blitz to deck poo poo, Eiger to wreck poo poo, Glory to wreck and heal poo poo, and my character, a PhysAd, to wreck poo poo, and it went pretty well.

Here's my character from that run, which might be similar to what you could see if Kami becomes a PhysAd.

With the power of chrome, Enflamme here ended up with the same amount of Strength the strongest Orc can naturally achieve. Suffice it to say she was able to beat the crap out of people.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

If you play Dragonfall on Very Hard from the start, everyone will wreck extra poo poo because of their inflated stats. :v:

Actually I tested the same with this mod but I didn't notice the same bug there, though I didn't do any particularly extensive testing beyond checking the first companion or anything.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Kanfy posted:

If you play Dragonfall on Very Hard from the start, everyone will wreck extra poo poo because of their inflated stats. :v:

Actually I tested the same with this mod but I didn't notice the same bug there, though I didn't do any particularly extensive testing beyond checking the first companion or anything.

Doesn't that only happen if you load during combat or something like that? I don't think I remember hitting that bug, and I was checking at times because I was aware of it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

TheMcD posted:

Doesn't that only happen if you load during combat or something like that? I don't think I remember hitting that bug, and I was checking at times because I was aware of it.

That was the original bug I ended up stumbling on in Returns, yeah, but a bunch of testing based on that showed that Dragonfall had its own version where the stat boosts meant for enemies applied to all NPCs when they first appeared which of course included your crew members since they're briefly NPCs before they join you.

From what I could tell, the only way to fully avoid it was to start the game and do the Harfeld run on Normal or Easy and either keep it that way until you reach Blitz or temporarily lower it before you enter the area he's in. I tried to replicate it in Hong Kong and more recently this mod, but as far as I could tell there was no such issue with either, or at least the first companions didn't seem affected.

E:

For reference, this was the bug in Returns where reloading kept re-applying the difficulty modifiers on all NPCs.

And this was the comparison between Normal Dietrich and Very Hard Dietrich (as he was known with the ladies in his youth). No crazy stacking, but Very Hard applied a one-time permanent "bonus".

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 24, 2019

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Weird. I just reloaded my old Dragonfall save and it didn't have any sort of boosts applied to any characters beyond the ones they got from level ups.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I tested it pretty thoroughly, I had an old endgame save played on a higher difficulty still kicking around and they numbers didn't add up there either. It's easy enough to check, just start a game on Normal and start a game on Hard or Very Hard and compare the crew stats.

I recall also that thread regular By popular demand didn't believe it was real either, until a few scientific replays up until Blitz's recruitment showed them that playing on a higher difficulty let Blitz clear the Drone Control 3 check to destroy the vault turret in the hotel mission which he very definitely can't do on Normal due to only having 2 points in the skill.

By popular demand posted:

I am a stubborn man.

A whole new game just for the sake of an internet thread.

By popular demand posted:

You think I am smarter then this?! You think I've got better things to do?!
see you in a bit.

E: Well sonovabitch. I suppose I played it Hard the first time.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

OK, I just checked myself.

Glory, Normal game start: 2 Charisma.
Glory, Very Hard game start: 4 Charisma.
Glory, my Very Hard endgame save: 2 Charisma.
Glory, a save in the middle of that same campaign: 2 Charisma.

So, uh, I don't see it. Either there's some sort of reset that fixes it or I didn't get the glitch somehow.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Could be, I'd need a paycheck from HBS to start digging through all potential factors though. Either way this mod seems to have avoided the issue entirely so hey, sometimes things just work out.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Is there any way to play these mods with GOG versions of these games? I have them all on GOG, but only Returns on Steam.

In other news, I have no class preference because I don't know enough to make an informed decision. Also, Kanfy should update more often.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Re Shaman being mainly support, the main benefit of Shaman is that it ties into an attribute you'll likely end up raising except on a niche build and shrine summons pre HK became something ridiculous at Summoning 5 - for actual combat it's probably still not a bad idea to raise something else though, fair.

Mods on the nexus will work with any version, sadly the mods on the workshop aren't all on nexus and I bought on gog so I'm not sure there's even a non Workshop version of Mercurial

However all of Cirion's stuff is on nexus thankfully

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

TheMcD posted:

code:
Shaman: IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Adept:  IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Last vote: Lux Animus, Jul 24, 2019 21:54

Dang, that’s one close vote. I’ll throw one in for Adept

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Poked my head in because this looked interesting, and more Shadowrun is a good thing. And I'm curious about this; I played an assortment of short mods of varying quality with DMS, and I'd heard about this... but I never got around to it.

I have no horse in the race at the moment, mostly because I have no idea who this Kami person is. I suppose I should familiarize myself with this Closer thing, huh?

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.
One for Adept

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Adept.

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.
Summoner is one of those classes that feels like it’s a lot more fun to watch someone else play.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

resurgam40 posted:

I have no horse in the race at the moment, mostly because I have no idea who this Kami person is. I suppose I should familiarize myself with this Closer thing, huh?

Reading that LP will make sense of why we all think the idea of using Kami is hilarious and/or awesome.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

resurgam40 posted:

Yes. It is incredible.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Both The Closer and Split/Second (might require archives) should be stickied threads and required reading for the LP forums :colbert:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Cyber adept, leopard shaman. If we have a close vote, why not play both as a pretty fun hybrid class?

e:Forgot this was Dragonfall, not HK. Adept.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jul 25, 2019

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Count me in as another person who just read The Closer and wants to vote Adept.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Eh, I'll change my vote from Shaman to Adept.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

code:
Shaman: IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Adept:  IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Last vote: Lynneth, Jul 25, 2019 15:05
Alright, looks like we have a more decisive result now. Kaminari will be an PhysAd that does Willpower / Chi Casting because that's what PhysAds do, Strength / Melee Weapons so we can see if we can get a baseball bat (though we'll probably upgrade to better weapons at some point) and a bit of Charisma just to get a few Etiquettes.

I'll start working on the first proper update tomorrow, though I'll be mostly out during the weekend, so it might take a few days.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sabermancy is go!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

In this gritty reboot, we play a batter.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I absolutely loved the main Dragonfall campaign when it came out, and had no idea there were complete fancampaigns up.

I have to admit, though, I've played the first few missions (up to the point where you fail to rescue the head of Aztechnology in CalFree from a troll assassin) and I'm really not impressed -- missions so far have been pretty much straight gauntlets of combat with no real choices or plot twists.

Do things get better?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Whybird posted:

Do things get better?

I should say so, though I'm hardly biased, and I can say that the module does lean on the combat side of things. Honestly, I'd compare the Antumbra Saga to the Shadowrun Returns trilogy itself- the first game is adequate, but serves more as a demo run of the tech and as a test of the creator's skills, the second is where things really come together, and the third is HOLY poo poo YOU SWEET GAME WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Whybird posted:

I absolutely loved the main Dragonfall campaign when it came out, and had no idea there were complete fancampaigns up.

I have to admit, though, I've played the first few missions (up to the point where you fail to rescue the head of Aztechnology in CalFree from a troll assassin) and I'm really not impressed -- missions so far have been pretty much straight gauntlets of combat with no real choices or plot twists.

Do things get better?

This was originally a single mission, Antumbra, that cirion made as their first try at doing game mods. The community noted that there were many flaws there, but it had enough potential that the creator made a sequel for it named Eclipse. This showed a little improvement, but was still decent for a fan mission pack. cirion then decided to make it a trilogy and buckled down to put in some serious work on improving their design, game flow, and writing. You will know when you finish Eclipse and move on to Corona, the third part. The difference is dramatic.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There is also a sequel to the Antumbra series.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

wiegieman posted:

There is also a sequel to the Antumbra series.

Two for Hong Kong actually; Caldecott Caper and Calfree in Chains both tie into it although Caldecott is a more personal story

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Nice try, but Caldecott Caper is very clearly just a level from Donkey Kong Country.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Stroth posted:

This was originally a single mission, Antumbra, that cirion made as their first try at doing game mods. The community noted that there were many flaws there, but it had enough potential that the creator made a sequel for it named Eclipse. This showed a little improvement, but was still decent for a fan mission pack. cirion then decided to make it a trilogy and buckled down to put in some serious work on improving their design, game flow, and writing. You will know when you finish Eclipse and move on to Corona, the third part. The difference is dramatic.
I was wondering whether I should link to my old reviews, but this about sums it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Did the author go back and rework parts 1 and 2 or are we in for a lot of “have patience, it gets better later” ?