Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

86" TV $2000

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/lg-86-inch-led-4k-uhd-hdr-smart-tv-w-ai-thinq-86uk7570pub/apd/aa588856/tv-home-theater

Receive a $300 Dell PROMO eGift Card sent via email within 20 days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'd be interested to know what you think of the Q90R. I'd love an OLED but I'd plan to keep it for 10 years and have the same worry about burn-in with statically content (games, news channels, fixed logos) and diminishing brightness over the years. It's also going in a room that's in direct sunlight a lot of the time. Family members have a tendency to fall asleep

My current non-smart Samsung TV from 2013 horrendous "black" levels and I hear the Q90R is like a black hole for ambient light. Poor analogy but it's not very reflective, I hear.

Yeah, I wouldn't be concerned about burn-in so much if it were just me using the TV, even if it included gaming (which it will - I will be getting an 8K OLED at some point for cinema and PS5). I know I can be sensible about not leaving it on one thing for too long, and using the screensaver to minimise risk.

But in the living room where my 5 and 7 year old watch, and sometimes game, some times unsupervised and sometimes leaving either one paused, and where there is a ton of ambient light, QLED seems to make the most sense. Particularly with the increased screen brightness and, as you say, lack of reflectiveness. Also, while I doubt it competes overall with OLED in image quality, it's supposed to be closer than ever.

Happy to post some thoughts when I've had a few days with it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FWIW my Vizio PQ65 which has the same quantum dot tech has really impressive blacks, pretty much as good as an OLED in a dark room.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

What's the catch? I know LG TVs aren't recommended too often here, but that's a hell of a lot of screen real estate for not a whole lot of money.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Taima posted:

I am super curious as to where you live that you're 3 hours from a place that can repair a television. Probably don't live in the USA?

Anyways, you can try to buff it out with some isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber, but you're probably out of luck especially if it's at all deep. Be very careful with trying anything as presumably the screen has some kind of anti glare coating that you could damage further using the wrong chemicals or methods of scratch removal.

Given that you have children, I would say the best course of action may be to just come to terms with the fact that things will get damaged, and frankly the X900e isn't a bad TV or anything but it's nothing great these days, so I wouldn't recommend losing a ton of sleep over it either way.

Great, thanks a lot. I have used the alcohol and microfibre to good effect before so Ill try it tonight.

I live in a fairly isolated part of the maritimes in Canada and outside of essentials there are very little services anymore.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Discounts on wall mounts and center post mounts on Amazon Deal of the Day today if anyone is shopping for one of those.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'd be interested to know what you think of the Q90R. I'd love an OLED but I'd plan to keep it for 10 years and have the same worry about burn-in with statically content (games, news channels, fixed logos) and diminishing brightness over the years. It's also going in a room that's in direct sunlight a lot of the time. Family members have a tendency to fall asleep

My current non-smart Samsung TV from 2013 horrendous "black" levels and I hear the Q90R is like a black hole for ambient light. Poor analogy but it's not very reflective, I hear.

I just got my q90R after two OLEDS so can also chime in here, too. In perfect room conditions, the OLEDs were definitely stunning but in a sunlit living room they just could not delivery to their best. The Q90 is incredibly bright and punchy during the day, and the anti reflective filter is amazing. I also have family members who tend to leave the tv or games on when they're done(or we leave shows on in the background) so this was just added peace of mind to not have to worry about burn in. If you can deck out the room properly, OLED definitely has the edge, but outside of that the advantage of the insane brightness on the q90r and lack of reflection in a daylit room more than make up for the potential blooming which is only noticeable in dark room conditions at some extreme angles. I would also add that the q90r is almost too bright in a blacked out room depending on content sometimes because we're set up for daytime viewing

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 23, 2019

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

PageMaster posted:

I just got my q90R after two OLEDS so can also chime in here, too. In perfect room conditions, the OLEDs were definitely stunning but in a sunlit living room they just could not delivery to their best. The Q90 is incredibly bright and punchy during the day, and the anti reflective filter is amazing. I also have family members who tend to leave the tv or games on when they're done(or we leave shows on in the background) so this was just added peace of mind to not have to worry about burn in. If you can deck out the room properly, OLED definitely has the edge, but outside of that the advantage of the insane brightness on the q90r and lack of reflection in a daylit room more than make up for the potential blooming which is only noticeable in dark room conditions at some extreme angles. I would also add that the q90r is almost too bright in a blacked out room depending on content sometimes because we're set up for daytime viewing

Good to hear - thank you for chiming in. One criticism I did read jives with your comments, namely that it can be almost too bright, particularly with HDR content, but I feel this can probably be sufficiently mitigated through calibration (or more accurately in my case loving around with settings).

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
:ohdear: I actually bought one of those LG 65" OLED C9's and they claim to have shipped it. I blame my wife for suggesting we move our older and totally functional 55" 1080p Sony TV out to the new workshop. (We generally don't care about "latest and greatest - that was our first HD TV, first TV we paid for, and it's "only" 7 years old.)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

What's the catch? I know LG TVs aren't recommended too often here,

lol what

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

OLEDs are recommended. Not so much LED LG's.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

He means the non OLED LG TVs which are not usually good enough to recommend purchasing.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

their regular LEDs aren't recommended, they're more expensive than Vizio or TCL for worse performance

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FunOne posted:

Discounts on wall mounts and center post mounts on Amazon Deal of the Day today if anyone is shopping for one of those.

Thanks! The one I had on my list no less!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

curried lamb of God posted:

their regular LEDs aren't recommended, they're more expensive than Vizio or TCL for worse performance

Unfortunately Vizio and TCL don't seem to make 86" TVs. Are there any red flags on that $2000 LG LED?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The red flag is that every other TV at that size is 4x the price. I mean if you're on a budget and you really really need a huge TV then go ahead and roll the dice, but for $2000 I think you'd be able to buy a much nicer TV than that.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Oh ok, didn't realise it wasn't OLED

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Oh ok, didn't realise it wasn't OLED

You didn't realize that the $2,000 86" television wasn't an OLED?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
86 fuckin inches.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

A nice size bedroom TV.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

the pure isopropyl alcohol got rid of all the bullshit on my Sony so a huge thanks to the dude who recommended it.

I usually diluted it which seemed to be the problem.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

GreenNight posted:

A nice size bedroom TV.

Life size adult viewing?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My Vizio PQ65 sometimes randomly goes blank for a couple seconds when Im watching stuff on YouTube but the audio is still working. I cant figure out if its a streaming issue or something more seriousGoogle seems to think it could be a faulty power board causing the backlight array to turn off, but Ive watched hours of stuff on Plex and HBO Go without the screen blanking that I can remember. Ive only had it for 3 weeks so I can return it to Costco, assuming they still have replacements in stock.

I guess the best thing to do for now is to consume a bunch of Youtube and non-Youtube content and see if there are particular conditions that trigger it, but thats obviously easier said than done.

Edit: Looks like its a steaming issue. I was able to hit pause during a blank and it pulled up the Youtube controls. Ive been watching the same Colbert clip over and over for 45 min since it originally caused the blank screen.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 24, 2019

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

What is the cheapest anyone's seen the TCL 65R617?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ablert Einstein posted:

What is the cheapest anyone's seen the TCL 65R617?
From a legit seller I think it was $630 but it was $600 if you bought it with an Amazon Visa last month.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Taima posted:

Go to Greentoe (a completely legit and great site) and you can get the C9 77 from a fully authorized dealer for $4999 AFTER tax. It is confirmed that this price will be accepted already.

https://www.greentoe.com/product/LG_C9_77_Class_HDR_UHD_Smart_OLED_TV_OLED77C9PUB

I thought about getting the 77 C9 but ended up going with the 65 C9 simply because it's for bedroom use and we'll be quite close to the screen. The 77 is absolutely majestic though, enjoy.

Thanks for this! I got burned by tax as a Californian, but this all worked out, TV arrived today and is everything I dreamed of and more. The best part is that despite being a 77", it's actually only 6" wider than my Panasonic 65ST30 since there's no monstrous bezel.

I'll miss the plasma, but OLED is very nice.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

You didn't realize that the $2,000 86" television wasn't an OLED?

I'm in Australia, $2,000 barely gets you a two year old 65" OLED here so I've learned to tune out prices.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 25, 2019

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

This seems like a decent deal o the PQ65

https://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-65...type=10&veh=aff

$998

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mattfl posted:

This seems like a decent deal o the PQ65

https://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-65...type=10&veh=aff

$998

Best Buy has it for same price as well and they have $50 off the $299 Dolby Atmos 36" Vizio 5.1.2 sound system with it ($100 if you go for their larger sound system)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

So Ive been testing my Fire TV Stick 4K side by side with my Roku Streaming Stick+ for a week and... I think prefer the Fire Stick. Its noticeably snappier through everything and integrated Alexa is incredibly useful, e.g. Play Taylor Swift on Youtube.

It comes as a surprise because I really liked the Roku interface from my preciouss roommates TCL and I prefer the remote, and it shows the time on the home screen. But notably the NBC Sports app doesnt work properly, which is a big deal since live streaming Golf Channel and ESPN are basically the only time I consume live content.

I dont like the idea of being locked into Amazons ecosystem though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wonder if the 4K version of the Firestick improves performance then, as I recently bought a regular rear end model to replace a Roku Express due to changing cable system (Xfinity has a great Roku app, AT&T only has a Firestick app and unfortunately it's crap). I find it can't even handle just plain video feeds particularly well and the framerate goes insanely choppy every now and again regardless of app.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

I wonder if the 4K version of the Firestick improves performance then, as I recently bought a regular rear end model to replace a Roku Express due to changing cable system (Xfinity has a great Roku app, AT&T only has a Firestick app and unfortunately it's crap). I find it can't even handle just plain video feeds particularly well and the framerate goes insanely choppy every now and again regardless of app.
Ive read in multiple places that the 4K has better hardware than the regular, so Id give it a try if I were you.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I totally shouldve just waited until prime day and grabbed one then. God I have too many streaming boxes in a house for one person...

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

EL BROMANCE posted:

I am sure they have updated the hardware on the non 4K by now but I have an original and a 4K and it is light years faster.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Speaking of the Fire Stick, I asked this in the Fire thread, but nobody has posted there in two weeks:

quote:

Just picked up a Fire Stick and it's pretty cool, but is there a way to set a preferred video service? For example, The X-Files is available on both Prime Video and Hulu. Right now, if I say "Alexa, play The X-Files," it will default to Hulu for some reason, which sucks because Hulu has ads while PV doesn't. I looked around in the settings but couldn't find anything.

Edit: It does this even if I ask for a specific content provider.

"Alexa, play The X-Files on Prime Video."

"Getting The X-Files from Hulu."

Any ideas?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

My 65R615 has been having a weird issue lately. Sometimes dark spots show up on the screen. Not always in the same exact place from what I can tell but usually towards the middle of the screen. Usually only noticeable on bright images. If I shut the tv off and turn it back on it's usually fixed. Any idea? I assume it might be something related to the local dimming/contrast stuff.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Lester Shy posted:

Speaking of the Fire Stick, I asked this in the Fire thread, but nobody has posted there in two weeks:

Any ideas?

Uninstall Hulu, EZ clap.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
You could also just, you know, spend the 2 seconds to navigate to the thing you want if it's a big deal.

Shrimpy posted:

Thanks for this! I got burned by tax as a Californian, but this all worked out, TV arrived today and is everything I dreamed of and more. The best part is that despite being a 77", it's actually only 6" wider than my Panasonic 65ST30 since there's no monstrous bezel.

I'll miss the plasma, but OLED is very nice.

Awesome, grats!!!

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Awesome the latest firmware update for my X900F completely broke HDMI Arc. This apparently is a thing with the Oreo update on Sony TVs depending on your receiver or soundbar (Yamaha YAS-106 here). Guess I'm buying a toslink cable since none of the workaround to make it detect the soundbar over hdmi worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Hmm, the whole point of the months-long delay in the X900F Oreo rollout was to fix that ARC bug. I'm sure there are a bunch of articles on it, but surprised you're having trouble with the fixed firmware.