Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

We know the Deathstar from Return of the Jedi does not blow up into tiny pieces, the trailer for Rise of the Skywalker confirms this. Is this stupid and makes very little sense for how it's presented? Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bij
Feb 24, 2007

What if the Death Star in the teaser is DS I? Also I guess Disney made new proclamations about the Death Star sizes at some point, DS I is now 160 km and II is "just" 200 km in diameter. Weren't they 100 and something stupid like 800 km for DS II for the longest time?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Potential BFF posted:

What if the Death Star in the teaser is DS I? Also I guess Disney made new proclamations about the Death Star sizes at some point, DS I is now 160 km and II is "just" 200 km in diameter. Weren't they 100 and something stupid like 800 km for DS II for the longest time?

lmao if this is the case

You're right, this is going to be the case

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The Death Stars are Darth Sidious' Sith holocrons, and each one contains a perfect copy of him as the gatekeeper.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Everyone knows the Endor holocaust is a hoax. The Death Star debris was sucked into a nearby wormhole and spit out harmlessly in the oceans of Mon Calamari, where a three eyed mutant impostor claiming to be Palpatine's son (Palpatine's actual three-eyed mutant son was frozen imprisoned in Kessel at the time) used whale poaching as a cover to retrieve the glove of Darth Vader from the depths in a bid to be crowned the new Emperor.

Come on sheeple, open your eyes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I have seen some speculation that the Death Star we see is actually the first one and the planet they are on is Yavin IV, but Yavin also appears to be a forest planet....

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
the death star was flat

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The Death Star IS a moon.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Preston Waters posted:

You don't know that.

But I was there. It basically turned into powder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUjrqFVBgc8

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Horribly, horribly radioactive powder

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Man, Denis Lawson was right in wanting nothing to do with Star Wars beyond his part in the OT. Good job, Wedge.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Potential BFF posted:

Only according to the visuals and model builders (who had to know the exact dimensions so they could position the variously scaled-down models accurately through multiple passes of bluescreen photography and matte paintings etc). The Story Group overrules what you see in the film, much like the Pope overrules whatever heresies you may read in the so-called Bible.

font color sea
Jan 23, 2017

Expelliarmus!
X-wings can't melt plastisteel beams

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

AlternateAccount posted:

The shot where the reactor blows and the Falcon whips into the tunnel just as the fireball erupts is one of my favourites from the entire series. It's so kinetic and thrilling, and absolutely perfectly timed.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Payndz posted:

The shot where the reactor blows and the Falcon whips into the tunnel just as the fireball erupts is one of my favourites from the entire series. It's so kinetic and thrilling, and absolutely perfectly timed.

Agreed, it's a very cool sequence in general.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

How would it be DS1 on Yavin? There was a huge gas giant planet between them.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I hope Rey and Kylo fight at the Lars farm. I wanna see someone chop down a moisture vaporator and some of those old droids like treadwell

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

banned from Starbucks posted:

How would it be DS1 on Yavin? There was a huge gas giant planet between them.

A good question, for another time.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!
Technically, we're discussing a moon of Endor. The planet Endor and its gravity would determine the fate of the remains of the Death Star. Also unknown is the materials used in the Death Star, the precise physical details of its demise, or anything else necessary to determine what would actually happen afterwards because we're talking about a film series in which science is far less powerful than some bullshit made up by an old conman who lives in a shack.

The Death Star was also destroyed due to a space wizard exploding in its core.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 26, 2019

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Potential BFF posted:

Man, Denis Lawson was right in wanting nothing to do with Star Wars beyond his part in the OT. Good job, Wedge.

Wedge was always a survivor. :unsmith:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Captain Splendid posted:

It really depends on the orbit. For Earth, to deorbit something from geostationary orbit (35,000km out), you need to decelerate it by 1.5km/s.

Pretty sure that the explosion from the Death Star propelled things a heck of a lot faster than that, so you can reasonably assume a signifcant proportion of the debris to deorbit in short order. The rest of it might get propelled to a much higher orbit

If this image is to scale though:

I think atmospheric drag would take care of everything pretty drat quickly.

Well let's see... the DS2 was 160km diameter. So assuming that image is actually an accurate representation, it would have been orbiting at an altitude a little over one of its own diameter. As a point of comparison, 190km was roughly the minimum orbit the Space Shuttle could maintain.

So holding that mass in a geostationary orbit at that height would have required an enormous amount of energy. Of course the Star Wars universe conveniently has repulsorlifts and probably other anti-gravity tech, but as soon as that power was shut off, it was all coming down within hours, maybe days or weeks for little pieces blown into higher orbits, but all the big stuff would be impacting very soon. RIP Ewoks

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 26, 2019

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I wonder how they would have killed off Wedge. They unceremoniously blew up Ackbar without a word (supposedly standing in a group of anonymous Mon Calamarians in the shot when Leia blows up) and he had like entire scenes in RotJ.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I think he was proto Poe back when he was supposed to die in the tie fighter crash on Jakkooine.

Either that or he was the old guy who gives poe the map thing at the start.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Substitute for max von sydow is a good guess, it would have given him the obligatory chance to tell the audience poe is the bestest pilot ever

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

banned from Starbucks posted:

I think he was proto Poe back when he was supposed to die in the tie fighter crash on Jakkooine.

Either that or he was the old guy who gives poe the map thing at the start.

There were reports before the movie came out that he turned the movie down, but he said on a radio show a few years ago that they just never asked him, so Wedge probably wasn't in there at all.

Poe was known as "John Doe" throughout most of pre-production though, so he could have been anyone.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Wedge killed 2 death stars for this ungrateful galaxy, he has no more time for all these star war.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Wedge was such an unspeakable badass in the alternate timeline that it justified his peaceful retirement in the actual timeline. Even if he did date a bird woman

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Wedge downs more Imperial combat vehicles than Luke does when you go back and count.

But yeah as

shows there's no Endor holocaust because whatever crazy sci-fi mumbo-jumbo reactor breach Wedge and Lando started disintegrated the thing into fine particulate much like the original.

edit: I can't believe I forgot when the TIE's attack the Falcon in ANH. Looks like Luke and Wedge are tied.

galagazombie fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 27, 2019

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

No Mods No Masters posted:

Substitute for max von sydow...

Of all the news leading up to Episode 7, I was the most hyped about his casting announcement. A grizzled Jedi? A Sith Lord? An old Mandalorian?

Nah, disposable old guy who dies in the first 10 minutes.

If Disney knows anything it's how to deflate balloons.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

And of course, his character was only created because they needed somone to have a map to Luke after they scrapped the original idea of it being in the submerged ruins of the Death Star. It's Death Stars all the way down.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Star Wars: Episode XII - The Rise of Deathstar

Buckle in folks, things are going to get real, real stupid before Disney allows this dead horse to rest.

TheOmegaWalrus fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 27, 2019

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

AlternateAccount posted:

Is that from the Blu-ray or something? I swear to God there's a pod-racer sound when the Death Star blows.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Potential BFF posted:

I still sometimes think about Alec Guinness saying Star Wars original trilogy is bad, and laugh about that.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Of all the news leading up to Episode 7, I was the most hyped about his casting announcement. A grizzled Jedi? A Sith Lord? An old Mandalorian?

Nah, disposable old guy who dies in the first 10 minutes.

If Disney knows anything it's how to deflate balloons.

:same:

It was such a wet fart of a role.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

No Mods No Masters posted:

Wedge was such an unspeakable badass in the alternate timeline that it justified his peaceful retirement in the actual timeline. Even if he did date a bird woman

Could've been worse, one of his squadmates in Legends hosed an otter

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Captain Splendid posted:

And another one hosed a catgirlgoat-person!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Captain Splendid posted:

You are confusing Wedge's friend loving a cat/goat Bothan with Han Solo punching an otter. And are forgetting Wedge's other friend who was a horse, and presumably as a consequence hosed other horses.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

how does a horse fighter pilot work with no front facing eyes?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

galagazombie posted:

You are confusing Wedge's friend loving a cat/goat Bothan with Han Solo punching an otter. And are forgetting Wedge's other friend who was a horse, and presumably as a consequence hosed other horses.

No, Corran Horn (a Corellian) hosed an otter, but not the otter that Han Solo (also a Corellian) punched.

Star Wars.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

As dumb as the EU was and is, it would still be a billion times more entertaining than what we got with Disney. Where is evil, mustachioed Thracken Sal-Solo?