Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Dropped this past evening on Prime. Based on the comics series by Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson.

Effortpost incoming, but I figured I'd make a thread to discuss this new show.

In the show supes are beloved yet (mostly) corrupted by their own celebrity, and are pitted against a group of vigilantes that are trying to take them down at all costs.

If you're saying 'I read the comic, I'm good', then strap in. It takes the main concept from the books but remixes it in ways that are interesting and (imo) even better than the comic)

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I don't remember if it was from the comic, but the _dolphin_ in episode 4 was a perfect example of good Garth Ennis stuff: simultaneously horrible and juvenile but also so completely absurd that you have to laugh. The show does have a fair share of lovely Ennis nihilism running through it, but the worst excesses of the comic seem to be gone and there are moments like that which work.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I definitely expected some super edgelord poo poo based on what I've heard about the source material but I was pleasantly surprised. Karl Urban is great but Anthony Starr is loving killing it as Homelander.

Show is good. I'm only up to episode 5 but it's the best one so far.

Ep5 stuff: Homelander is going to do something horrible to that cute baby isn't he? :ohdear:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

LadyPictureShow posted:

If you're saying 'I read the comic, I'm good', then strap in. It takes the main concept from the books but remixes it in ways that are interesting and (imo) even better than the comic)

Random Stranger posted:

The show does have a fair share of lovely Ennis nihilism running through it, but the worst excesses of the comic seem to be gone and there are moments like that which work.

Thanks -- this makes me a bit more inclined to watch it. The comic had its moments, and I enjoyed it overall, but it also crossed my threshold for gratuitous violence (and sexual violence) a few too many times to want to see that translated into video.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Thanks -- this makes me a bit more inclined to watch it. The comic had its moments, and I enjoyed it overall, but it also crossed my threshold for gratuitous violence (and sexual violence) a few too many times to want to see that translated into video.

The show, and I found it funny, seems to be lowering the violence and sex with each passing episode, and focusing more on the drama aspect. I'm on episode 6, so I dunno if they are gonna up that in the last ones.

Anyways, it has been great. It's not exactly as the comics, which I dropped because they were too gross for my taste.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I was on the same fence and some of the sex problems still exist (Starlight's first day on the job being an obvious example from the first episode). But there does seem to be an attempt to distill what was good in The Boys into a version that works for long form TV. I don't know at this point if the whole show is going to work for me, but I'm still watching.

Desperado Bones posted:

The show, and I found it funny, seems to be lowering the violence and sex with each passing episode, and focusing more on the drama aspect. I'm on episode 6, so I dunno if they are gonna up that in the last ones.

Anyways, it has been great. It's not exactly as the comics, which I dropped because they were too gross for my taste.

The first and second episode is definitely the worst in this regard. They'd have trouble flying even on cable. After that, things step way back.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 27, 2019

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Been waiting a long time for this. I have all the comics, even the variants, autographs from Ennis, Robinson + Braun and awesome Butcher sketches from the latter two. Not sure when I'll find the time to watch but I hope it keeps the spirit of the comics in tact.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Nick Frost's fake American accent is so ~~weird~~.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

SardonicTyrant posted:

Nick Frost's fake American accent is so ~~weird~~.

Did I miss a cameo from him, or do you mean Simon Pegg?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Desperado Bones posted:

Did I miss a cameo from him, or do you mean Simon Pegg?
Right, meant Simon Pegg.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Little Huey was modelled on Pegg, thus the cameo as his dad.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I’m gonna guess they kept all the edgelord poo poo but sanitized most of the government stuff?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I’m gonna guess they kept all the edgelord poo poo but sanitized most of the government stuff?

They definitely toned the edgelord poo poo way down.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I just wanna know what the fake blood budget is like on this show. I love it.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Owning the comics I can say that I really like what they did in the first season. Stays true to the theme of the comic but has some real changes that really make it interesting.

I'm hoping they end it differently than the comic as well.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Regarding episode 5 ,I think is the one with the super church event, does anyone know what was up with the buzzing fly? Did I miss anything? a wink-nudge?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Collateral posted:

Little Huey was modelled on Pegg, thus the cameo as his dad.

I'm only twenty minutes in but this is loving brilliant

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Updating Vought and Homelander especially to be MAGA types was a really a good choice.

I could totally see the megachurch thing happening if people like that did exist.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ep 8 spoilers: Holy loving laffo A-Train taken out by Fox Die a heart attack. Which makes me wonder why the gently caress they didn't just kill him when Kamiko broke his leg a few episodes earlier.

The ending was great :discourse:. Was that changed from the source material? It definitely feels like it was changed, along with the spoiler I mentioned for episode 8.

Bring on season 2.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 27, 2019

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Ep 8 spoilers: Holy loving laffo A-Train taken out by Fox Die a heart attack. Which makes me wonder why the gently caress they didn't just kill him when Kamiko broke his leg a few episodes earlier.

A-Train is probably gonna survive, that's gonna be some plot thingy for season 2. Unless they drop it and it starts with his funeral lol.
Homelander was loving scary in the last episodes. Holy poo poo, loved the scenes in the dark where you only see his red eyes. And there's a twitter video of Seth Rogen promoting the VCU, which was super funny, but I think it could be spoilers for some

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The ending was great :discourse:. Was that changed from the source material? It definitely feels like it was changed, along with the spoiler I mentioned for episode 8.

I bring on season 2.

For 'changed from the source material' do you mean Rebecca and Homelander's son being alive?

If so, very yes because in the comics part of Billy's origin story was his wife was raped by HL; he only found out when the superpowered fetus burst out of her stomach and he beat it to death which was peak Ennis.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Someone edited the wikipedia page since last night

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

LadyPictureShow posted:

For 'changed from the source material' do you mean Rebecca and Homelander's son being alive?

If so, very yes because in the comics part of Billy's origin story was his wife was raped by HL; he only found out when the superpowered fetus burst out of her stomach and he beat it to death which was peak Ennis.

Yea I meant that. Also :yikes: at the source material.

Ok sounds like it was a good thing the showrunners took the comics as a blueprint and threw away all the bad edgey stuff(which sounds like a lot of it).

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Wondering what they replaced the 14+ inch long dong in red tights with.

Also, it wasn't Homelander who raped her in the comic. I am still betting they stick with part of that story given the heroes they have shown so far.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Only one episode in but I kinda liked it? I've read all the original material and it seems like they took a really well-thought step down from "dark edgy lol" to "dark edgy but not lol". The Robin scene was as horrible as it needed to be to set up Hughie's arc and and the "induction" scene was still loving awful yet still toned down from the original? Maybe? Karl Urban is twice the Butcher I thought he'd be, so I'm interested in where this is going...

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Made it through 2 eps tonight and Homelander is indeed killing it

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I think the bit that sells me on Homelander is the weird facial things the actor is doing, it really brings home the idea that hes a total psycho.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dreadwroth2 posted:

I think the bit that sells me on Homelander is the weird facial things the actor is doing, it really brings home the idea that hes a total psycho.

He did that all the way through Banshee, he was my draft pick for Frank Castle for years.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Hamelekim posted:

Wondering what they replaced the 14+ inch long dong in red tights with.

Also, it wasn't Homelander who raped her in the comic. I am still betting they stick with part of that story given the heroes they have shown so far.
True, but I didn't want to give away a possible twist.

Also WTF random BILLY ZANE background cameo in ep7

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
haley joel dumbass

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

LadyPictureShow posted:

Also WTF random BILLY ZANE background cameo in ep7

he was also in the movie with popclaw that a-train watched after she was dead

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

freckle posted:

he was also in the movie with popclaw that a-train watched after she was dead

Hahaha holy poo poo, that WAS him!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
what is with karl urban's accent

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Frenchie is the best character by far.

Episode 6 That guy who hugs Billy Zane is great

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

exmarx posted:

what is with karl urban's accent

Nothing. It's pretty drat good. Sounds like my best mate.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

LadyPictureShow posted:

Wrong, You mean Black Noir. A big thing about Homelander was that he wasn't a rapist ever, and his mental collpase from vapid celebrity to insane monster was because of his clone/Black Noir sending him pictures of Black Noir raping women, eating babies, and other poo poo from his clone going insane from his own failed programing to kill Homerlander

I honestly 50/50 on the changes from the comic. I think the comic world was much larger and more "realistic" because they spent so much time with the C and D list teams

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jul 27, 2019

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Does Butcher get his dog to rape a man in the tv show?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you google the guy who plays Black Noir, he's a Trinidadian /Canadian dude and google lists his instagram as the this wack white boy https://www.instagram.com/nathanmitchell_/?hl=es-la

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian

Desperado Bones posted:

A-Train is probably gonna survive, that's gonna be some plot thingy for season 2. Unless they drop it and it starts with his funeral lol.

my guess is that they do the comic's story of blarneycock's revival without the hamster, but with a-train instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

3 episodes in and so far so good. Was at first not happy with Huey's look but when I saw Pegg as his dad it was perfect. Didn't think Butcher would grow a beard but he's great so far too.