Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Parallelwoody posted:

I don't understand how American banks haven't been sued into Oblivion over identity theft at this point.

In most cases you fill out some paperwork as soon as you find out and the bank eats the loss. El Bromance will likely get their money back, and the bank that cashed the check will probably be left holding the bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I meant in general though. My girlfriend had her account info stolen and BofA hosed up the handling of it so after she reported it there was a second transaction that cleaned out 10 grand from her account. She spend her vacation week getting that fixed and changing bill paying info, etc. Nobody she talked to knew what the gently caress they were talking about or even what department they needed to transfer her to. It was basically an 8 hour a day job to finally get it settled.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

therobit posted:

El Bromance will likely get their money back, and the bank that cashed the check will probably be left holding the bag.

If anyone knows a path that might lead to success I’m all ears! I can probably dig out the old paperwork and poo poo still despite how long ago it was. I’m up for a corporate fight.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

EL BROMANCE posted:

If anyone knows a path that might lead to success I’m all ears! I can probably dig out the old paperwork and poo poo still despite how long ago it was. I’m up for a corporate fight.

I thought this was ongoing. It would have involved filing a claim for check fraud at the time that this happened. You could try complaining to the OCC though. I would say CFPB but Trump's director basically shut them down.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Kingdom posted:

I've been seeing ads for Chime which claims to not charge you any fees (other than a $2.50 for using an out-of-network ATM). How do they make any money?

chime, which i have never heard of, seems to be some kind of online bank. they make their money the same as other banks, you deposit money with them as savings and they invest it and make money using your money on the expectation that not all of their customers will need to withdraw all of their money quickly. pretty normal banking stuff

what i'm talking about is scammy payroll processors. normally a company might pay some company like ADP a fee to process and cut payroll checks. this provides an opportunity for other companies to swoop in and say "get this... what if your employees pay the overhead for payroll processing, instead of you, the employer" and it's crooked as hell

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

luxury handset posted:

what i'm talking about is scammy payroll processors. normally a company might pay some company like ADP a fee to process and cut payroll checks. this provides an opportunity for other companies to swoop in and say "get this... what if your employees pay the overhead for payroll processing, instead of you, the employer" and it's crooked as hell

I work in a hospital insurance billing department and I have run into some of the lesser insurance companies who pay us via "virtual credit card". We don't accept these because like the payroll scammers, we would have to pay a fee to get our money. Some of the insurance companies seem to be shocked when we tell them we shouldn't have to pay a fee to get the money we are entitled to.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

MrNemo posted:

Wow people in the US still get paid with an annual cheque you need to take to the bank? Employers don't just take your bank details and do an electronic transfer? Why?

A super common problem, especially among poor folks, is not having a bank account at all. I think there's a legal requirement that paychecks can be offered in paper form no matter what. Even so most companies at least offer direct deposit. At my last job it eventually became the default. For a while you got a paper copy of your paycheck anyway but they stopped that because, like, why?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Helpful fact 1:
ANYONE can place a hold on your mail. The USPS will ask for some credentials if you show up at a branch, but NOT if you use the website. It lets any address be input, and they can even put in bullshit for the other info (phone number and name) and the hold request still works.

Helpful fact 2:
If anyone puts a fraudulent hold on your mail, there is no way to know! AND, once you find out that it happened, they have no way of pulling up a history of how many times it has happened for your address in case you're wondering why you kept missing mail this year. They can only search by the other two fields (name and phone number) which will be fake every time as mentioned.

So this happened to me. I only found out because for some reason my mailman dropped off my accumulated mail in my box anyway, in a big roll, instead of pickup like the fraudulent mail hold wanted.

Total damage so far this week:

- $2975 -- My paycheck for one month stolen, forged signature
- $2145 -- 1 Best Buy CITI card granted to the spammers in my name, and they racked up that much already
- More that I don't know about yet
- MANY other cards applied for and rejected, but my credit got dinged

I keep finding out about more as I manage to get ahold of my mail and see the bills, rejected applications, and actual cards mailed.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

There has to be more to the story. Surely with just someone's name and address you can't sign up for a credit card, can you? Why did the Best Buy application go through but the others didn't? If Best Buy lets people make credit cards using anyone's name and address, it seems any bills racked up as a result of their lovely KYC process should be their problem, and not yours.

edit: upon reading the last page, it seems they may know much more than just your name and address after all

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 31, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

zmcnulty posted:

There has to be more to the story. Surely with just someone's name and address you can't sign up for a credit card, can you? Why did the Best Buy application go through but the others didn't? If Best Buy lets people make credit cards using anyone's name and address, it seems any bills racked up as a result of their lovely KYC process should be their problem, and not yours.

That's kind of what my bank told me yesterday -- that Best Buy / CITI is notoriously terrible about approving cards in anyone's name. Said they make money either way, whether it works or whether they make insurance eat the cost.

However, I assume that everything that's being done to me requires quite a bit of my info, and that they've got it. They seem to have physically intercepted my paycheck in the mail and have been placing holds to try to get MORE mail, and have been doing this to me at this address for god knows how long while I was out of town all year, so they might have even intercepted stuff like IDs that we just thought never came.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
If you want to see a neat video of a dude busting through our complex's front door to steal from unsecured storage lockers (including keys to the building and poo poo), check this out

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3tjfvdug7zwupy1/AABwKjS6_RDC5BbmVnKZIU14a?dl=0

That was this weekend. Maybe it's him that stole my identity and money, but maybe not. We've had a dude on camera going through our complex's mail with a master keyring for a LOT longer than since this guy showed up. Years.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 31, 2019

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A genetic-testing scam is targeting seniors and ripping off Medicare

The 86-year-old woman in rural Utah doesn't usually answer solicitations from strangers, she said, but the young couple who knocked on her front door seemed so nice. Before long, she had handed over her Medicare and Social Security numbers — and allowed them to swab her cheek to collect her DNA.

She is among scores of older Americans who have been targeted in a scam that uses DNA tests to defraud Medicare or steal personal information. Fraudsters find their victims across the country through cold calls, door knocking, email, Facebook ads and Craigslist. They also troll low-income housing complexes, senior centers, health fairs and antique shops. Sometimes they offer ice cream, pizza or $100 gift cards. Some callers claim to work for Medicare, according to a fraud alert issued Friday by the Federal Trade Commission.

Capitalizing on the growing popularity of genetic testing — and fears of terminal illness — scammers are persuading seniors to take two types of genetic screenings that are covered by Medicare Part B, according to experts familiar with the schemes. The tests aim to detect their risk for cancer or medication side effects.

The scammers bill Medicare for the tests. The patients, who might never receive any results, typically pay nothing. But they risk compromising personal information and family medical history. And taxpayers foot the bill for tests that may be unnecessary or inappropriate.

Scammers can really cash in: Medicare pays an average of $6,000 to $9,000 for these tests, and sometimes as much as $25,000, according to the Office of Inspector General at the Department of Health and Human Services.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/07/27/medicare-fraud-identity-theft-genetic-testing-scams-target-seniors/1836394001/

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

MrNemo posted:

Wow people in the US still get paid with an annual cheque you need to take to the bank? Employers don't just take your bank details and do an electronic transfer? Why?

From previous comments on this forum, apparently Americans still love their cheques.

At some point it pretty much qualifies for this thread just by dint of using them.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

iajanus posted:

From previous comments on this forum, apparently Americans still love their cheques.

I've worked a variety of retail, and it's mostly only older Americans that still regularly use checks, barring a few outlying circumstances. My dad, for instance, keeps his checkbook around only because he lives like...sticks adjacent, and some of the companies he uses for home maintenance only take cash or check.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MrNemo posted:

Annual? Hardly. Every two weeks, usually, but yes, when I lived in the US that was still true for all but one job I worked. I guess it costs the employer a little extra to do an electronic transfer. Also, everywhere I lived wanted the rent paid by cheque. Other than that, though, you're not writing cheques unless you're like 70 years old.

EditL my paycheque was never sent to me in the post though! Handed out in person by the bossman, which sort of helps with the 'not getting intercepted' thing.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jul 31, 2019

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Every employer I have had so far in the US had direct deposit as an option, and it would usually get to the bank a day earlier than you'd get a physical check. An employer insisting on checks is penny wise and dollar stupid.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I don't understand how an electronic transfer can cost more, but I also don't understand american banks.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

SEKCobra posted:

I don't understand how an electronic transfer can cost more, but I also don't understand american banks.

Because people want to do it and so the banks will charge you for the "convenience". The pricing is driven by demand, not cost.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

bamhand posted:

Because people want to do it and so the banks will charge you for the "convenience". The pricing is driven by demand, not cost.
Pretty sure this is penny wise and dollar stupid again, there's a lot of avenues for fraud that are open for checks that aren't for direct transfers. Some of which even hurt the bank rather than the consumers!

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
It's due to incompetence

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I *did* sign up for direct deposit immediately upon hire, but they just kept mailing me paper checks anyway. My work's new payroll system is so bad that it sparked major protests. The website looks like somebody's first coding project.

And maybe a side of some of the paychecks being stolen by insiders, opportunistic about our disastrous new payroll system, who want to keep them paper for that reason.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Zereth posted:

Pretty sure this is penny wise and dollar stupid again, there's a lot of avenues for fraud that are open for checks that aren't for direct transfers. Some of which even hurt the bank rather than the consumers!

Generally in the US you can just assume that it's the consumer that's going to be shafted with 0 recourse.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Zereth posted:

“We ran the numbers, and there are enough people who will be too busy working multiple minimum wage jobs to fight us on these fees that we impose at all times and for all things, that we stand to make a profit no matter what. Welp, same thing with check fraud.”

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Helpful fact 1:
ANYONE can place a hold on your mail. The USPS will ask for some credentials if you show up at a branch, but NOT if you use the website. It lets any address be input, and they can even put in bullshit for the other info (phone number and name) and the hold request still works.

Hold mail on the website requires a credit card with that address, doesn't it? Maybe they had already gotten a credit card in your name, though.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Hold mail on the website requires a credit card with that address, doesn't it? Maybe they had already gotten a credit card in your name, though.

Just visited the post office and I think you're right. I had just read a misleading or wrong article:

https://www.cnet.com/news/postal-service-site-lets-anyone-hold-your-mail/

quote:

In the old days (and you can still do this), you went to the office and filled out a form (PDF). Someone on the show who has done this said the Postal Service doesn't validate the identity of the person who requests mail to be held. It validates only the identity of the person who comes to pick up the mail.

Government techies copied this manual system to the Internet.

You can go to https://holdmail.usps.com (or click on Hold Mail at the Postal Service home page, as shown below) and put a hold on mail delivery. Notice that I didn't say put a hold on your mail delivery. You can put a hold on mail delivered to anyone. This is true with the traditional system, too, but the Internet makes it worse, adding more anonymity and making the process easier. Too easy.

The agency site claims that it needs a name, address, and phone number to stop mail delivery. When tested, however, this turns out not to be the case. Requests with wrong names and wrong phone numbers were accepted, according to a listener who wrote in to the show. All you really need to know is an address.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
If I go to https://www.annualcreditreport.com/ that always uses up my opportunity to view my credit for this year, right?

Since I'm in the middle of identity theft and I should check my credit several times this year to follow up on the fraud, I don't know what I should use to not get locked out after the first time.

For example, Transunion had a special checkbox for victims of identity theft, as a special circumstance for viewing the report. I believe that let me view my Transunion credit report without using up my "one per year".

How do I find a similar option on Experian? Equifax? They do not make this easy at all and really want to sell me one instead.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

If I go to https://www.annualcreditreport.com/ that always uses up my opportunity to view my credit for this year, right?

Since I'm in the middle of identity theft and I should check my credit several times this year to follow up on the fraud, I don't know what I should use to not get locked out after the first time.

For example, Transunion had a special checkbox for victims of identity theft, as a special circumstance for viewing the report. I believe that let me view my Transunion credit report without using up my "one per year".

How do I find a similar option on Experian? Equifax? They do not make this easy at all and really want to sell me one instead.

CreditKarma calculates your score a different way than the big three do, so if you're looking for just your FICO score it won't be helpful, but if you're just checking to make sure someone didn't buy a boat under your name, it'll give you that info for free.

Apparently I get free credit reporting from Experian already and for the life of me cannot remember why. :confuoot:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Yeah I get email from "TRANSUNION INTERACTIVE / TransUnion Consumer Interactive, Inc. / Creditview Dashboard" ever since 2016, which unexplainably picked up to monthly monitoring this year, about my credit. It correctly issued warnings to me this month during the identity theft. Maybe I got free monitoring from some settlement however long ago and don't remember, who knows. But Transunion denies knowledge of them and I have no idea if they are legit or how to log in, or if logging in to view my alert is a trap.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

feedmegin posted:

Also, everywhere I lived wanted the rent paid by cheque.

Speaking of scams... I have the option of paying my rent electronically or by check. Electronic comes with a $35 fee.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Speaking of scams... I have the option of paying my rent electronically or by check. Electronic comes with a $35 fee.

The last place I rented they added a $1 fee to electronic transfers for bank transfers (it was $25 for credit card already), so I started paying with checks. Then they lost one of my rent checks on my way out (although they claimed to never have got it), so I had to cancel it for $20. At least I got my deposit back!

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Similar thing with the natural gas in my city. It costs $4.99 to pay by card online, so I mail them a check. :shrug: I’d rather spend $.75 on a stamp each month instead of the “convenience fee” they charge.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Do y'all's apartments not accept money orders/cashier's checks? Getting to the bank is a pain in the rear end but I don't have to dig out my checkbook that I've used like...three times since 1999

in fairness I've got free money orders at the bank

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It’s easier to keep a small checkbook in my desk that I will never ever ever use all the checks in than it is to get money orders. What a backwards rear end solution.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

TheKennedys posted:

Do y'all's apartments not accept money orders/cashier's checks? Getting to the bank is a pain in the rear end but I don't have to dig out my checkbook that I've used like...three times since 1999

in fairness I've got free money orders at the bank

A cashier's check or money order is even more work, you have to go to the bank to buy it. I already have checks, and don't have to pay to write one.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
If your bank or credit union has bill pay, they will put the check in the mail for you. It's usually a free service.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I know 3 boomer age ladies who had their Facebook accounts duplicated this week (for messenger only).

It was very suspicious when my bff's mom sad Hi at 3am her time, with no complaints or funny stories to share.

If someone you already have friended sends a "message request" it is likely to be the same scam.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So.... when I play bills, they just send me a BPay code. I enter that on my bank's internet banking app and it automatically brings up the details. I hit 'pay' and job done.
It's been that way for years. This is not cutting edge technology.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

If they use said "wok seasoning" would they be able to call their restaurant MSG free technically? I only ask because the closest take out Chinese place to my house now plasters MSG free all over their stuff, and I can only think "That must be the most disappointing take out...."

congrats, you've discovered one of the best tricks of the "natural foods" craze. restaurants and food manufacturers have discovered how to extract many of the scary-sounding chemicals that peddlers of pseudoscience love to bleat on about. instead of MSG, the ingredients label will have some kind of vague tomato extract. instead of nitrites in your hot dogs, you will see some odd-sounding celery ingredient. citric acid is now "vitamin C" or an extract from a citrus fruit

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

In the industry this is referred to as 'clean label' ingredients. They generally cost 50-200% more than the additive they're replacing, but don't need a code number.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The Lone Badger posted:

So.... when I play bills, they just send me a BPay code. I enter that on my bank's internet banking app and it automatically brings up the details. I hit 'pay' and job done.
It's been that way for years. This is not cutting edge technology.

US only 2-3 years ago added loving chips to their bank/credit cards. It's slow going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

US only 2-3 years ago added loving chips to their bank/credit cards. It's slow going.

it was also really fun when the chip rule came into effect because for like an entire year or two, every payment terminal outside of walmart and mcdonalds took 30-60 seconds longer than before. it's only been in the past couple months that i've noticed that most small shops finally have the super-fast terminal experience that we were promised ages ago