Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Couldn't swap over to AT&T with the double data, cause apparently cricket and AT&T share numbers and the promo only works if a new number is created. <:mad:>

Can you port and not get the double data?

I was casually looking today and saving $5/month would be nice. I don't currently hit 8 GB on my Cricket plan, so don't really care if I get 16 GB or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Are ther any Verizon MVNOs thay have prepaid minutes that don't expire?

I've been in some areas that I don't have signal with cricket/att a lot lately (for camping) and I believe Verizon might have more signal. I want it just for use in an emergency, since I have two sim slots.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Sprint and T-Mobile are trying to merge. Sprint agreed to sell Boost Mobile as a condition of the deal, but they're still having a hard time convincing regulators. Bloomberg recently reported that the Department of Justice doesn’t want the number of major wireless US carriers to be fewer than four.

It sounds like one possibility is that Amazon buys Boost from Sprint and some spectrum from Sprint/T-Mobile in order to become that fourth carrier:
https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/30/18646309/amazon-reportedly-interested-boost-mobile-t-mobile-sprint-spectrum

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How long until free MVNO plans for Prime members

How badly does Amazon want to know my cell habits/location

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Feck, I escaped sprint years ago and just recently switched to t-mobile.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It's weird that I live in a time where the government broke up a utility because it became a monopoly, and then over the years I've seen it slowly eat itself back into being pretty much just one big company again.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

It's weird that I live in a time where the government broke up a utility because it became a monopoly, and then over the years I've seen it slowly eat itself back into being pretty much just one big company again.

It's not wired. We are in Gilded Age 2.0, we are 10 years away from BioShock.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

STRONGLY considering switching from Fi to the ATT 16 gigs for $40. Anyone have any experience switching out of Fi? I do want to keep my google voice number and still use it as my primary one.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Yes, I didn't port out and kept the number as my Google Voice number when I canceled Fi. It was a Google Voice number before I got Fi, unsure if that makes any difference.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

How did you get the number back as a regular google voice number? Just cancelling the Fi service? Does it revert to just being a regular google voice number at that point?

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Nitrousoxide posted:

How did you get the number back as a regular google voice number? Just cancelling the Fi service? Does it revert to just being a regular google voice number at that point?

Stop the Fi service without porting out, just a wild guess.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah, when you cancel, it asks you what you want to do with the number, and converting to Google Voice should be an option presented.

Pebble and the Penguin
Sep 9, 2010

You're going out there a silly, hysterical, screaming queen, but you're coming back a great, big, passing-for-straight Broadway star!
Wanted to give T-Mo a fair shake through Ting, but coverage is rear end in my area (western NC). Didn't see anyone post about US Mobile and bumped into them in my search for another provider, so thought I'd mention them.

Pricing model is extremely similar to Ting and they still use T-Mo as their GSM provider, but also offer CDMA coverage through Verizon; might be worth a look for anyone in here with CDMA devices. Hit me up in here or in PMs if y'all want a referral code!

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I used USMobile and it was super fast Verizon coverage in area with no T-Mobile. I really like it but dumped them for T-Mobile since I have poo poo home internet and use like 30 gigs a month now.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Nitrousoxide posted:

STRONGLY considering switching from Fi to the ATT 16 gigs for $40. Anyone have any experience switching out of Fi? I do want to keep my google voice number and still use it as my primary one.

I did. I ported my numbers to Cricket (edit well, that's basically ATT) the usual way, made sure they activated, and checked to make sure Fi was canceled. I think it auto-hibernated itself or whatever when it detected the change.

The biggest problem was just that as of last I checked, you had to order a Cricket SIM with the MMID of the phone in hand, when activation doesn't actually require an MMID until you plug in the card. If you plug in the same MMID for all your lines as I had to do since I was still ordering new phones, you just had to call someone later to press some buttons, because all the SIMs were pre-registered to the same MMID, but it took literally 10 minutes including hold time, if that.

Sub Rosa posted:

Yeah, when you cancel, it asks you what you want to do with the number, and converting to Google Voice should be an option presented.

I'm not even sure you have to bother, as the MVNOs tend to be pretty good about liberating your number if you talk to somebody. But yes, I think this is an option.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Here is my annual "what cheap prepaid plans am I getting for me and my wife" update

Both my wife and my "Sprint free" plasn were ending. I missed the opportunity to reup so both of us are looking for alternative. Honestly Sprint signal is worse than TMO in NY so no big lost.

My wife HAS TO use an iphone so finding a newish iphone for her is always the most expensive part of the equation. I missed the Visible cheap iPhone 8+ promotion so I ended up getting a new Verizon iPhone XR from Target with a $200 target giftcard. This promo has came twice so it should come back again soon, probably with bigger incentive. IMO $750 XR with a 200 giftcard is still better deal than the smaller $550 iPhone X. And I have yet find a way to buy an iphone without paying the tax.

We suspended the Verizon account a couple days later and ported it out to Mint Mobile (TMo). Make sure you suspend the service first before porting out in order to pay only the prorated period instead of the full month. She is doing $15 plan with 3GB of fast data and may change to $20/8GB plan (you have to commit to a whole year).

I am also using Mint but keeping an eye on the market.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I just got an e-mail from FreedomPop and it looks like they're cutting off Sprint service. Somewhat of an end of an era considering FreedomPop got it's start reselling Sprint WiMax service for literally free to boost subscription numbers when that network turned out to be a total flop. They are transferring their Sprint-based customers to Ting with an option of the following plans according to the e-mail:

Option 1: $6 unlimited talk and text + $4/GB
Option 2: $20 unlimited talk and text + 20GB data + first month free

The only Sprint line I have with FreedomPop is a hotspot, I wonder if they will offer different plans for those since talk and text is obviously not applicable.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
$10 for 1gb with unlimited T&T is a ridiculously good deal, even if it is Sprint.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Did some more looking into this and it looks like this is just a side-effect of a deal where Red Pocket acquired FreedomPop and UNREAL Mobile last month. Red Pocket is only hanging on to FreedomPop's GSM customers and it's unclear what will happen to them in the long run (whether their free or paid service will continue at their current rates). Also, apparently paying CDMA customers were notified of the Ting transition last month but the only indication free customers get is an e-mail and text when their account was transferred which is bullshit (though given the cost of the service (free) I don't have too much room to complain).

It looks like the special Ting offer above only applies through the end of the year. After that you apparently get transferred to one of Ting's standard plans which are much more expensive. It also seems that Sprint will not allow MVNOs to unlock mobile hotspots for use on non-Sprint networks/MVNOs, which is supremely annoying. Looking around at various Sprint MVNOs it looks like my best option for inexpensive service would be Tello where you can configure a plan with no voice/text service which puts it below Ting's special offer rate for 1 GB of data ($6 vs $10) and the same rate if you want unlimited voice/text. I'll have to verify I can actually use a hotspot with this plan when I get home tonight.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 18, 2019

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I upgraded to a Moto g7 and I can't get mms messages to work in chomp sms on cricket. They work in messages though, so that's pretty loving weird.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

I upgraded to a Moto g7 and I can't get mms messages to work in chomp sms on cricket. They work in messages though, so that's pretty loving weird.

I always had issues with MMS messages in certain apps. Textra never let me down though.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

:rip: Sprint: U.S. Approves T-Mobile-Sprint Merger, a Deal That Would Reshape the Industry. The deal was approved with the conceit that Dish will start a new national wireless network to compete with the now-Big 3. Dish is getting Sprint's prepaid customers (first-party (Boost/Virgin/Sprint-branded) only I think but I'm not sure) and band 26 (800 MHz), 20k cell sites, and a 7-year roaming agreement with T-Mobile. T-Mobile in-turn gets to keep the rest of Sprint's spectrum/cell sites/customers and has also agreed to lease some of Dish's band 71 (600 MHz) spectrum.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mr.Radar posted:

:rip: Sprint: U.S. Approves T-Mobile-Sprint Merger, a Deal That Would Reshape the Industry. The deal was approved with the conceit that Dish will start a new national wireless network to compete with the now-Big 3. Dish is getting Sprint's prepaid customers (first-party (Boost/Virgin/Sprint-branded) only I think but I'm not sure) and band 26 (800 MHz), 20k cell sites, and a 7-year roaming agreement with T-Mobile. T-Mobile in-turn gets to keep the rest of Sprint's spectrum/cell sites/customers and has also agreed to lease some of Dish's band 71 (600 MHz) spectrum.

That's a way better deal for T-Mobile than had been rumored. They get to dump all the prepaid losers on Dish, get access to Dish's 600 hoard, and get to essentially be Dish's network while they build out. It's difficult to see why Dish wanted to do this at all since it really seems like all upside for T-Mo and all downside for them.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lol at dish

"yeah we got satellite TV and prepaid mobile service, you wanna bundle that poo poo"

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Lol at dish

"yeah we got satellite TV and prepaid mobile service, you wanna bundle that poo poo"

To be fair, Dish was always the poverty-tier television option. I'll bet their customer demographics line up almost exactly with those of Sprint prepaid options. If Dish merges with Snappy Tomato Pizza they will effectively control the lives of every person south of the Mason-Dixon and east of the Mississippi.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Neat, finally figured out how to turn off the goddamn display on my phone.

If you have a moto phone, and you are tired of the display coming on to notify you of EVERY SINGLE GODDAMN THING and half the time NOTHING AT ALL THE loving MOTION SENSOR JUST SENSED YOUR DEAD GRAMPA OR SOMETHING gently caress WHY DOES IT DO THIS poo poo AT 3AM, then go into the Moto app, and go into display, and disable peek. After that, finally, you will be able to rest without the display popping up every 15 goddamn minutes.

You are welcome, fellow moto enthusiasts.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

If you have a moto phone, and you are tired of the display coming on to notify you of EVERY SINGLE GODDAMN THING and half the time NOTHING AT ALL THE loving MOTION SENSOR JUST SENSED YOUR DEAD GRAMPA OR SOMETHING gently caress WHY DOES IT DO THIS poo poo AT 3AM, then go into the Moto app, and go into display, and disable peek. After that, finally, you will be able to rest without the display popping up every 15 goddamn minutes.

4 of my last 5 phones have been Motorolas with that feature and I just set my phone upside-down when I sleep :shrug:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

To be fair, Dish was always the poverty-tier television option. I'll bet their customer demographics line up almost exactly with those of Sprint prepaid options. If Dish merges with Snappy Tomato Pizza they will effectively control the lives of every person south of the Mason-Dixon and east of the Mississippi.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Are you using the Moto app stuff for anything that's keeping you from just disabling it all in the apps list? Turning off the crapware is always the first thing I do with a new phone.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Xposting this from the recommend me thread:

Thinking of switching my 4 lines from T Mobile to Total Wireless. One of my TMo lines is currently “free”, so I’m worried I won’t be happy with Total, want to switch back to TMo, and lose my free line promo.

What is everyone’s opinion on Total vs TMo? I’m currently paying $135 for 4 lines on TMo which would run me $95 on Total.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Xposting this from the recommend me thread:

Thinking of switching my 4 lines from T Mobile to Total Wireless. One of my TMo lines is currently “free”, so I’m worried I won’t be happy with Total, want to switch back to TMo, and lose my free line promo.

What is everyone’s opinion on Total vs TMo? I’m currently paying $135 for 4 lines on TMo which would run me $95 on Total.

Depends on how Verizon is in your area, but I've been happy with Total for several years. I think Total caps the speeds at 8mbit/s though so you'd have to get used to that.

Also I swear I just heard a promo the other day that Total had 4 lines of unlimited for $80.

Aziz of Arabia
Jul 19, 2019

by R. Guyovich
Total Wireless will be deprioritized on towers because its a prepaid MVNO. Your TMO plan, if postpaid, would not have been

This only matters if there's congestion in your area though

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Verizon Prepaid trip report: My wife never experienced coverage other than Verizon for her whole life so I was going to try a pilot program to put her on Verizon Prepaid for a bit to see if she prefers it over Cricket/ATT.

Verizon's ordering process was Literally The Worst so even as a computer programmer I was having trouble making the thing go through. Somehow I'd click that I wanted BYOD and it would take me to their contract plans, I'd click Prepaid and couldn't find how to BYOD, on and on. Then they somehow lost the order. They never charged my card, and it broke my account's order screen. I called to see if they could make sure the order was properly canceled in case it messes anything else up, and the person on the other end had to ask for my card number again to make sure it didn't get charged(???).

Kind of impressed at how poo poo their ordering system is. I'd probably recommend just going to a kiosk so someone can do the legwork for you? Then again I think I have that same recommendation about all MVNOs... try to order online, but if things mess up, don't be afraid to find a kiosk because they will actually try to fix your issue while you're standing there, and the workers probably get commission for signups, so they appreciate it as much as a mall worker can still feel human emotion.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I went straight to a corporate Verizon store to sign up for prepaid and it was not a bad experience at all. Most of my time there was actually spent on hold with AT&T trying to get the right account number for the port.

Coming from AT&T prepaid to Verizon, the only real difference I've noticed is that I sometimes get throttled super hard when I'm assuming the network is congested. I don't remember that ever really happening on AT&T. I still don't get great signal at home, which was the main reason I switched. Oh, and Verizon prepaid doesn't have visual voicemail at all from what I can tell.

I might switch back at some point. Really though, I wish Fi's data wasn't so drat expensive. I'd switch to that in a second if they had competitive pricing.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I've been using AT&T Prepaid for a little over a year. Before this I was using Cricket, which uses AT&T's network and started out okay but their top speed is capped at like 10mbps and I started getting throttled constantly. Throttling when your top DL speed is already capped at that low is bad.

I started with AT&T Prepaid's 8 GB plan for $50, $40 with autopay and it was excellent. Never throttled, always great speeds, very few dead zones. No speed cap so at night I could get like 150mbps. I've started getting heavily into music streaming so I decided to try AT&T's Unlimited plan for $65, $50 with autopay. Its almost just as good, but unlike the 8GB plan, I get throttled sometimes. At night I can still get 150mbps speeds.

With the main carriers' prepaid plans being this good I see no reason to go with third party ones anymore.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I've been using AT&T Prepaid for a little over a year. Before this I was using Cricket,

I've been thinking about doing this, but keep mildly wondering if there were any catches and forgetting to ask. I just paid for another month, but I'll try to find an AT&T store in a few weeks.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Uthor posted:

I've been thinking about doing this, but keep mildly wondering if there were any catches and forgetting to ask. I just paid for another month, but I'll try to find an AT&T store in a few weeks.

The only catch I can think of is that Cricket with auto-pay charges your card exactly what they say, so a $40 plan charges you exactly $40. With AT&T there’s 3-4$ of additional fees, even with autopay. But in every other category AT&T Prepaid has surpassed Cricket for me, mainly because of Cricket’s speed caps and heavy throttling.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I made a note to go to the AT&T store when my current month is up and switch, but also noticed that there's an online only deal of $25/month for the first year if you prepay for the entire year. Hmm...

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Uthor posted:

I made a note to go to the AT&T store when my current month is up and switch, but also noticed that there's an online only deal of $25/month for the first year if you prepay for the entire year. Hmm...

How much data for that $25?. Mint has a similar thing (tmo mvno) $25 a month for a year of 12GB/mo data plus hotspot and wifi call/sms byod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

8 GB/month