Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

instead of invading Area 51, what if we invade Jim Cornette's embarrassing attic full of nude pics and fan fics of the 1940s' hottest wrestling stars. I bet jim cornette would fight me to a draw even though I am more than 20 years younger than him, so you, you know what you've got to give him for that. And how he ought to be treated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

Cavauro posted:

instead of invading Area 51, what if we invade Jim Cornette's embarrassing attic full of nude pics and fan fics of the 1940s' hottest wrestling stars. I bet jim cornette would fight me to a draw even though I am more than 20 years younger than him, so you, you know what you've got to give him for that. And how he ought to be treated

It's called "going broadway" ...not that you'd know that you mark playing pretend rassler....

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

hurry up and have a stroke jim

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

DLC Inc posted:

I swear this guy just becomes more and more of an rear end in a top hat in 2019

https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/1155095006039937029

Her answer is solid and doesn't engage the grumpy old man at all:

https://twitter.com/JordynneGrace/status/1155098962791161856

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's probably a lot healthier for the wrestlers to not live the gimmick 24/7 too

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Oh no wrestlers are real people with real names

gently caress off cornette wrestling fans aren't 1980s rubes with no internet access anymore lol

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Cavauro posted:

Cavauro I don’t think you’re being incredibly fair, to Jim Cornette

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I mean I enjoy when the line between gimmick and person is blurred, but I also understand as a human being that they are playing a character and no one should be expected to be on 100 percent of the time.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

also gently caress respecting the dying company paying you peanuts. she got away with wrestling for them without bothering to sign the contract they sent her for months.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Wrestlers should be themselves on twitter because when they role play and taunt each other it's absolutely awful and cringe inducing. Becky Lynch's twitter reads like an e-fed promo from 2000 these days.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
cornettes holier than thou gimmick would work a whole lot better if he wasnt working the only job he could get "commentator for a mudshow promotion no one watches"

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/ProWrestlingEVE/status/1155198658410946560

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
well well well

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Oh no wrestlers are real people with real names

gently caress off cornette wrestling fans aren't 1980s rubes with no internet access anymore lol

Even 1980s rubes were no where near as dumb as the wrestlers just automatically assumed they were.

I vaguely remember hearing about a poll in a southern newspaper in either the late 70s or early 80s asking if people still thought wrestling was real and everyone in the Georgia Championship Wrestling locker room expected about 80% to think it was real and then it turned out about 80% knew it was fixed outcomes. Who cares? I'm not expected to stop watching Luther because it's a fictional TV show and no real world polis would get away with doing what he does.

Jim Cornette is dumb and mad because a younger generation no longer view every single thing in wrestling as carnies with absolute contempt for their audience. poo poo is dumb.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

The more I learn about classic wrestling the more clear it is that not only has it always been a geek show, a chance to get drunk and hoot at some freaks, but that the wrestlers were the only ones who didn't know what was going on. A bunch of goofs in silly costumes convinced that the smirking yokels think they're the coolest and the toughest.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Woods replied to that conversation with the obvious point that for a lot of WWE wrestlers, they don't own their working name. Since he's planning for a post-WWE life at some point, it made sense to do his video game stuff under a name he owned.

It's still not his government name but it's not one WWE owns.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/CSterlingPro/status/1155209003909206023

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/MATTHARDYBRAND/status/1155103077432737792?s=20

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Please Jesus let this be the start and not the finish of unionization in wrestling.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Explosions posted:

The more I learn about classic wrestling the more clear it is that not only has it always been a geek show, a chance to get drunk and hoot at some freaks, but that the wrestlers were the only ones who didn't know what was going on. A bunch of goofs in silly costumes convinced that the smirking yokels think they're the coolest and the toughest.

Cornette probably still doesn't realize the marks that tried to stab or shoot him in bumfuck Biloxi in the territory days were just mentally ill people.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I’m pretty sure bored drunk southerners in the 70s-80s were gonna beat up or stab someone regardless if any sort of public event happened in their town

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Whoa what the gently caress hell yeah

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Great now I have to watch Eve

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/yuu_tjp/status/1155430761975164929

https://twitter.com/yuu_tjp/status/1155431366793879552

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Lid posted:

Kairi Sane debuted on the main roster this year.

You would have never guessed that considering she has only wrestled on TV like 3 or 4 times at most. And most recently has been the designated pin eater at house show matches against the IIconics (although they have been cheating to win). Vince literally called her up for no reason at all.

This is especially sad in hindsight because Dave hinted at/strongly speculated that if Kairi wasn't called up, it would be her feuding with Io instead of Candice. And the feud would probably be one of the hottest on NXT as a result.

Speaking of Io, she continues to dunk on whatever town she wrestles in.

https://twitter.com/shirai_io/status/1155335846171697154?s=19

Called Fort Pierce a bunch of salty fans, and then said she needed an energy drink to clear her throat after drinking all of their tears (she killed either Kavita or Jessie last night it seems).

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
:piss:

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
Some sketchy thoughts about a serious topic...

I’m a union man. I’ve been in the union since I’ve been at my work and I’ve been on strike several times to safeguard my employment rights. I LOVE unions.

So I’m stoked that wrestlers are starting to unionise, even if maybe the GMB might be a better fit than Equity. But it opens a can of worms that I don’t think a lot of people have thought about, or want to think about...

Wrestlers aren’t the only people who work at shows. If wrestlers have union protection, then how about other performers, like valets, referees, and ring announcers? How about the ring crew? Or the music guy? Or the ticket seller? Do they not deserve the rights and protections afforded by being in a union?

And this is where it gets sticky. Because although (I’d hope, it’s 2019) wrestlers are paid to perform, many (most?) of the other workers - and it is a job of work - on shows are not. And that’s been the way for a long while and you could wave it away by talking about volunteers, and paying dues, and maybe that shows might not even happen if you had to pay everyone.

But unionisation of wrestlers changes things. No union member should feel comfortable working in an environment where an essential job is done by an unpaid person. No union should allow that. At my work we have volunteers but the union dictates exactly what tasks they can do.

Like I said, sketchy thoughts but what does anyone else think?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Personally, I think if you work on a wrestling show, regardless of what capacity, you should be covered by a wrestling union (which by and large don't currently exist, of course). Especially ring crew, refs, valets and announcers. Ticket sellers could and should probably be handled by their own separate thing, but if you're a part of the show you should be given the protection and support of a union because otherwise there is a 99% chance your employer is gonna gently caress you over.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

one big union gently caress the bosses gently caress the cops

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Also volunteering for a for profit company is bullshit do work get paid

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

superLINUS posted:

Some sketchy thoughts about a serious topic...

I’m a union man. I’ve been in the union since I’ve been at my work and I’ve been on strike several times to safeguard my employment rights. I LOVE unions.

So I’m stoked that wrestlers are starting to unionise, even if maybe the GMB might be a better fit than Equity. But it opens a can of worms that I don’t think a lot of people have thought about, or want to think about...

Wrestlers aren’t the only people who work at shows. If wrestlers have union protection, then how about other performers, like valets, referees, and ring announcers? How about the ring crew? Or the music guy? Or the ticket seller? Do they not deserve the rights and protections afforded by being in a union?

And this is where it gets sticky. Because although (I’d hope, it’s 2019) wrestlers are paid to perform, many (most?) of the other workers - and it is a job of work - on shows are not. And that’s been the way for a long while and you could wave it away by talking about volunteers, and paying dues, and maybe that shows might not even happen if you had to pay everyone.

But unionisation of wrestlers changes things. No union member should feel comfortable working in an environment where an essential job is done by an unpaid person. No union should allow that. At my work we have volunteers but the union dictates exactly what tasks they can do.

Like I said, sketchy thoughts but what does anyone else think?

How is that a can of worms? If they do work, they deserve pay. End of. If a promoter cant afford to pay their workers, then they cant afford to put on a show. If you want to put on a show by getting people to work for free* then gently caress you get in the loving bin. If wrestlers are eligible for equity, then so are valets and referees because they are essentially doing the same job, ring announcing is essentially voice acting, so sure. Everything else... Well how does it work for plays? You have actors (wrestlers/valets/referees) onstage (in the ring) who are equity members. I'd assume stagehands (ring crew) and sound/lighting guys in the theatre have their own unions? Wrestling is basically carny kabuki theater, now wrestlers can join equity there is no reason that a wrestling show should run much differently than any other staged performance show.

"Paying your dues" in wrestling has always been and will always be a bullshit concept and anyone who uses it to justify not paying someone for their labour can also get in the aforementioned bin.

*outside of things like benefit/charity shows where people might want to donate their time but tbh even then my attitude is "pay them and they can then donate their wage if the choose to". A wrestling school putting on a trainee "friends and family" type show is obviously more like amateur dramatics.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Checking in on Yuu's latest vocab lesson

https://twitter.com/yuu_tjp/status/1155447476117266432?s=19

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cornette is an rear end in a top hat but the trend of wrestlers treating the thing just like a tv show is dumb. mjf bringing back kayfabe over wrestlers putting their real name on tw

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 28, 2019

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

I’m sick of soap stars being treated like real people off set. Obviously not committed to their craft.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

DoctorGonzo posted:

cornette is an rear end in a top hat but the trend of wrestlers treating the thing just like a tv show is dumb. mjf bringing back kayfabe over wrestlers putting their real name on tv.

Non-wrestling fans (normal people) think kayfabe is loving embarrassing, especially on social media and these are the people wrestling needs to become fans.. Look at Becky's last year of tweets and look at the ratings and attendance. Her twitter didn't move any needles. The media landscape has changed, and I'm not saying every wrestler should act like they're just portraying character on a tv show but the old way doesn't work anymore. I don't know what the answer is but I guarantee Cornette doesn't have it.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Puckish Rogue posted:

I’m sick of soap stars being treated like real people off set. Obviously not committed to their craft.

yeah because its the same

Big Bidness posted:

Non-wrestling fans (normal people) think kayfabe is loving embarrassing, especially on social media and these are the people wrestling needs to become fans.. Look at Becky's last year of tweets and look at the ratings and attendance. Her twitter didn't move any needles. The media landscape has changed, and I'm not saying every wrestler should act like they're just portraying character on a tv show but the old way doesn't work anymore. I don't know what the answer is but I guarantee Cornette doesn't have it.

jordynne is straight up telling wrestling is fake we all know it its not necessary for a wrestler to tell us

becky`s character and becky`s twitter are straight up garbage

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

there’s something to be said for keeping the mystique of your character but you do that by just staying off social media

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

now that jon moxley has someone putting memes on his twitter his star is fading

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

It should only be selfies with Shooter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
AEW is advancing kayfabe by adding articulate and inteligent people discussing important topics outside of the ppv or tv show they produce. they dont put their loving shoot names on their tw handles while saying actually this is all fake you should watchi it because reasons? im with cornette on this even if he choose, as always, the worse way to express it.