Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

In a show that doesn’t always deliver justice to all its characters, that was a very refreshing scene

It’s like bubbles’ last scene, but with schadenfreude instead of joy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Ginette Reno posted:

Method Man does such a good job with Cheese. One of my favorite performances on a show that has a lot of great ones.

He definitely showed his "rap peers" why he deserved to get the role.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Strawman posted:

Randy is cheese's kid. The writers have mentioned it but it didn't come up in the show.

I must have been conflating it with Wee-Bey and Namond.

Speaking of Wee-Bey, how has Hassan Johnson not gotten more work?

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

He was my dog *sobs*

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Speaking of Wee-Bey, how has Hassan Johnson not gotten more work?

He has a starring role as “Shocked Speechless Guy” in a million twitter replies every day.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011

zenguitarman posted:

He was my dog *sobs*

One of the funniest scenes in the series for sure.

Method Man owns and in general the casting for this show was great.

I also loved the bit where the cops convince a suspect that a photocopier is a polygraph to make him confess. Pure gold.

denzelcurrypower fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 6, 2019

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Ornithology posted:

I also loved the bit where the cops convince a suspect that a photocopier is a polygraph to make him confess. Pure gold.

That's a true story. Cops in Detroit got into trouble for doing it in the 80s.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

zenguitarman posted:

He was my dog *sobs*

The look on his face when Bunk mocks his crying is amazing, from his point of view this really is absolutely appalling behavior by the cops: he "had" to kill his dog and now they're making fun of him for it? Holy gently caress what a bunch of assholes!

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

That's a true story. Cops in Detroit got into trouble for doing it in the 80s.

Hahaha, that makes it even better. I thought I remembered reading it was based on reality but wasn't sure the context.

Seems a bit strange that they got in trouble considering cops lying during interrogations is allowed, as far as I know. I guess it could easily lead to false confessions though (which are a problem anyway without using a photocopier trick). I'm not informed enough on that to make a call so please no backlash on this post! I'll read up on it.

Edit:

Something I didn't fully process was if there was an overall theme or purpose to Bunk's character? I haven't re-watched in a while but he didn't seem to have much of a character arc if I recall correctly. I am not going to lie, I missed a bunch of his lines as I found his accent difficult to understand compared to any other character (I'm from Canada if that is any consolation). Just seemed like so many scenes of him and McNulty drinking their sorrows away, does he exist mainly just to show how hosed up the cop's lives are and what an actually competent detective looks like? He seemed pretty similar to McNulty in that respect though.

denzelcurrypower fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 6, 2019

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Ornithology posted:

Something I didn't fully process was if there was an overall theme or purpose to Bunk's character? I haven't re-watched in a while but he didn't seem to have much of a character arc if I recall correctly. I am not going to lie, I missed a bunch of his lines as I found his accent difficult to understand compared to any other character (I'm from Canada if that is any consolation). Just seemed like so many scenes of him and McNulty drinking their sorrows away, does he exist mainly just to show how hosed up the cop's lives are and what an actually competent detective looks like? He seemed pretty similar to McNulty in that respect though.

I can't, like, speak for David Simon or anything, but from a storytelling perspective, sometimes you want a character who doesn't arc. Most Hollywood scriptwriters or script doctors would tell you that all characters have to arc or change throughout the length of the story (and often, the ones that don't are the villains), but a lot of those arcs can come off phony or forced, especially if you're aiming for a sense of realism.* Having Bunk just keep on Bunkin on ties into the theme of the show (that is, sometimes things just don't change) but it also works as a yardstick for how much the other characters evolve.

*In this instance, I'm thinking of Michael becoming the new Omar: that scene at the end of season 5 where he robs Vinson is so on the nose it hurts.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Ornithology posted:

He's kinda the straight man to Mcnulty's destructiveness. Bunk shows up to work and does his job and does it the "right" way. Oh sure he drinks and womanizes like Mcnulty, but he controls his worst tendencies and doesn't let them destroy everyone around him. He works within the system. And unlike Mcnulty, he doesn't have an ego and a need to prove his competence.

But yeah I do think he's also there to show that even a normal person like Bunk who doesn't have Mcnulty's crippling ego issues can still get caught up in the stresses of the job.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I can't think of a single po-lice in The Wire who isn't hosed up in one way or another.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

I can't think of a single po-lice in The Wire who isn't hosed up in one way or another.

I spend a lot of time thinking about the deadpan “I just throw up a couple of times and go to work” cop from, I think, season 5

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I loved the two cops that bunk double checks Omar's murder on too.

"This ain't the motherfucker that came up with 62 ways for the peanut neither"

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I decided to start re-watching the Wire while sick.

Man I always forget they built up Herc as the one taking away how to be a better policeman than Carver from the detail only to have him completely backslide later on.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Herc isn't even too stupid, he's just fundamentally lazy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Herc isn't even too stupid, he's just fundamentally lazy.

He isn't that lazy either. He's willing to put in extra work to get the mayor re-elected because he thinks he will gain from it. He's just spectacular unfit to be a cop.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/dn_nation_world/status/1153398056131465216

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
yikes what a downer

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

gently caress. :smith:

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

I know that there is a big difference between characters and actors, but that bums me out.

Like when this happened:

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010

Zane posted:

yikes what a downer

Nah, looks to be uppers

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Eek, that's not good :smith:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Someone get Levy on the phone.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

gently caress the drug war and all that, but also i hope she's doing ok.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
At least this time she didn't get lit up by Little Man.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlXsk2tyGDA

My favorite Kima scene.

Where the viewer is taken on a journey from "oh wow this lady is not happy with the police brutality--maybe this is her 'thing'...wonder what she'll do" all the way to "lol nope".

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

The North Tower posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlXsk2tyGDA

My favorite Kima scene.

Where the viewer is taken on a journey from "oh wow this lady is not happy with the police brutality--maybe this is her 'thing'...wonder what she'll do" all the way to "lol nope".

Yeah, that bit was awesome.

I think it works so well because a lot of the show was fairly vanilla at the point and you weren't even thinking too hard about it - you just assumed she was going to stop the beating. So when she started wailing on the guy, my head suddenly started somersaulting, trying to understand it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Feels realistic too because it illustrates how even the idealistic and noble types like Kima get caught up in the system.

When you treat the drug trade like a war, people act like soldiers, and even someone with good intentions like Kima is not much different.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
"Call this thing a war, pretty soon they acting like warriors." - Bunny

My favorite Kima moment is with the cop from outside Baltimore that brings the detail Orlando in season one.

They went to the academy together so they joke around.

She says he's full of poo poo.
He says she's just mad cuz they hosed before Kima came out.
Kima says "you're the one that turned me gay."

It's not just that she can talk poo poo as well as the boys, she's loving better at it.

Edit: I hope Sohn can get clean. Doing coke at 55 is a good way to get a heart attack.

deoju fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 24, 2019

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

deoju posted:

It's not just that she can talk poo poo as well as the boys, she's loving better at it.

She's one of the best depictions of a Strong Female in movie/TV ever. I'd put her in the same class as Ellen Ripley.

I do like how, when she was introduced, she was the anti-McNulty: clean, smart, on time, respectful of the bosses and in a loving relationship and starting a family.

But, being natural po-lice, it wasn long before she was screwing around, lying to her other half, 'divorced' and paying child maintenance, just like McNulty.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
fuckin' mcnulty

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

And the only thing either of them can think when reflecting on their long downward spiral is "the gently caress did I do?".

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Orange Devil posted:

And the only thing either of them can think when reflecting on their long downward spiral is "the gently caress did I do?".

Last night I watched the episode where McNulty drinks 14 shots and winds up at Rhonda's and she asks him what they are together and he blows her off and seems genuinely confused why she's asking and I winced hard, because I've been that arsehole more than once in my life

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Today in Epic Self Owns:

https://twitter.com/cahnemily/status/1155187698325491712?s=21

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No loving way :lol:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Simon has since gone on a twitter rampage of incredible proportions. He's been busting chuds left and right for a couple days now.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Ginette Reno posted:

He's kinda the straight man to Mcnulty's destructiveness. Bunk shows up to work and does his job and does it the "right" way. Oh sure he drinks and womanizes like Mcnulty, but he controls his worst tendencies and doesn't let them destroy everyone around him. He works within the system. And unlike Mcnulty, he doesn't have an ego and a need to prove his competence.

But yeah I do think he's also there to show that even a normal person like Bunk who doesn't have Mcnulty's crippling ego issues can still get caught up in the stresses of the job.

Bunk is a professional, McNutty is a crusader, and Cool Lester Smooth is a professional who sometimes backslides into crusading tendencies when the bullshit gets too thick.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Thought this was a pretty good video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgJKaOO6wQ0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Simon has since gone on a twitter rampage of incredible proportions. He's been busting chuds left and right for a couple days now.

I think they probably assumed he was a reserved, nerdy writer and didn't expect him to go nuclear on social media. Which he's proven very capable of, he really doesn't hold back when he's pissed off at someone on Twitter.