Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

What's is this?

This is an interactive FMV game set in the Star Trek universe. It's an interesting concept, it was designed to play as an educational program to teach people about Klingon culture. We play as a young Klingon, called Pok, who is presented with a variety of different scenarios and it's up to us to make a correct decision based on what we've learnt. This game was released with a separate piece of software, called the "Language Lab," which is an interactive encyclopedia designed to teach you about a variety of Klingon subjects, some of which are found in the game. Some of the choices that we make in the game are reliant on knowing the Klingon language and some are reliant on choices made through being observant of the culture taught in the Lab.

In the world of Star Trek, this game has fallen into obscurity. It was directed by Jonathan Frakes, written by Hilary Bader, filmed in the studios and used genuine costumes and props from the shows. It also features some pretty well-known names in the Trek universe. Most notably, Robert O'Reilly reprises his role as Gowron and J.G. Hertzler (Martok and other numerous roles in Trek) makes an appearance as yet another character. You'll also recognise several other faces\voices of people who have played various roles in a variety of different Trek series\games over the years.

How does it play?

This is an interactive movie, we watch one or more cutscenes in each scenario and are presented with a choice to make. Only one choice in each scenario is correct, each scenario contains at least one or more wrong choices. If you make a wrong choice a variety of things can happen, either the scene resets, we get chastised for making the wrong choice, or the game ends in some situations. Not making a choice is also a valid option in some of the scenarios.

LP details

This game is very short, in fact, it's only around seventy minutes long and is split into three episodes. I will also be uploading some extra content to go along with this.

I've recorded all the content contained in the "Language Lab," it really is a piece of software more suited to screenshots but there are two reasons why I stuck with video recordings. Marc Okrand is a Klingon expert and provides voice-only recordings on many of the entries on the disc. Robert O'Reilly not only recorded pronunciations of every Klingon word on the software, but he recorded it on video in full costume. Some of his performances are by the book and some are just sublimely over the top.

I've also recorded all the wrong choices made throughout the whole game. I'm still working on piecing it all together, it will most likely be split into two videos.

I will start by uploading the first episode of the game and of the Immersion Studies. I'm still working on and tweaking some things but I'm going to attempt a new video once every three days.

Let's Play: Star Trek: Klingon

Bonus Videos
Language Lab (Part 1 - Phrases & Commands.)
Language Lab (Part 2 - Hol (Language,) Weapons & Rituals)
Language Lab (Part 3 - Myths & Legends, Curses and Food & Drink.)
Language Lab (Part 4 - Phonemes.)
Wrong Choices (Part 1)
Wrong Choices (Part 2)

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Interesting they went with the pink blood when I think they had been showing red on the show by this point. Maybe so it would show up better since it's heavily compressed :shrug:

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I'm NOT the only one who's ever played this?!

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

mercenarynuker posted:

I'm NOT the only one who's ever played this?!

I have a copy but getting it to run even on a virtual machine is a bitch and a half.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
Oh, hey, my father has a copy of this game. We never got it working, though, because at that time we were all using Macs, and by the time we had Windows computers, they were too far ahead of tech to ever get it working. I did play and beat the Borg game, though. My family just got back from the Klingon Language Conference last weekend, so this is a nice coincidence. My father even got into our local paper.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mateo360 posted:

I have a copy but getting it to run even on a virtual machine is a bitch and a half.

Ask me about that Starship Creator LP I never got off the ground :negative:

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

I tried to port over Captains from that to Dominion War (It said you could) and it never worked.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

wedgekree posted:

I tried to port over Captains from that to Dominion War (It said you could) and it never worked.

I'm actually glad I didn't go through with it because, when I first started experimenting with the idea in 2016 it was going to be a goon-participation semi-roleplay LP centered around a narrator character/captain that was literally going to be "Frank Underwood In Space." So yeah that one turning out to be a bust was divine providence, cuz 2017 revealed that Kevin Spacey's a sexual predator :stonk:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I've compiled two videos of the incorrect choices, I think that I'm done with recording footage. I may go back in one last time to explore another mechanic of the game, one of the puzzle solutions is absolutely ridiculous to solve and I want to find a solution that makes sense. Here is the tentative schedule for the next week:

27th Language Lab (Part 2)
30th Episode 2
2nd Incorrect Choices (Part 1)

mateo360 posted:

I used PCem and apart from a bit of slow down here and there, I've had no problems at all.

nine-gear crow posted:

I totally forgot about the Starship Creator, I still have the disc (and probably the game box) collecting dust in my parent's attic. I remember buying it with my pocket money and being so excited about taking it home. I spent ages making my ship, carefully selecting my crew and then being very disappointed with the game itself. I haven't touched the thing in twenty years.

Please consider making an LP, with a few tweaks, I'd love to see what you can make of it. I remember a sequel being released at some point too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Please consider making an LP, with a few tweaks, I'd love to see what you can make of it. I remember a sequel being released at some point too.

Its constantly in the back of my mind, but Starship Creator Deluxe (ie: the one with the Prometheus, Akira and Oberth classes) doesn't play well with Windows 10 and I'm struggling to find a replacement as the narrator character for He Who Shall Not Be Named, and I'm sick of using Emperor Palpatine over and over again for poo poo.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Its constantly in the back of my mind, but Starship Creator Deluxe (ie: the one with the Prometheus, Akira and Oberth classes) doesn't play well with Windows 10 and I'm struggling to find a replacement as the narrator character for He Who Shall Not Be Named, and I'm sick of using Emperor Palpatine over and over again for poo poo.

Maybe have it be Colonel Bishop from Assault Horizon?

Or Larry Foulke? He looks like a ship commander I could not trust.

Regarding the LP so far, how was this not made canon? I mean, really. We didn’t get much in the way of Klingon POV during TNG (that I know of; I haven’t really watched TNG, rather, I have absorbed bits and pieces of it through some weird form of pop culture osmosis and by binging on Star Trek lore videos on YouTube), so it’s a shame that something like this wasn’t really explored during the show’s run.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

HereticMIND posted:

Regarding the LP so far, how was this not made canon? I mean, really. We didn’t get much in the way of Klingon POV during TNG (that I know of; I haven’t really watched TNG, rather, I have absorbed bits and pieces of it through some weird form of pop culture osmosis and by binging on Star Trek lore videos on YouTube), so it’s a shame that something like this wasn’t really explored during the show’s run.

I think that they got around it by employing the use of the holodeck, this way it became a simulated story and stayed out of spin-off territory.

There were a number of TNG episodes that delved more into the Klingon culture. But if you're looking for Klingon POV then DS9 is the place to go. Check out the episodes "Blood Oath," "The Sword Of Kahless" and "Once More Into The Breach." "Looking for par'Mach in All the Wrong Places" is also worth checking out, the Klingon focused storylines really ramped up after Worf joined the crew.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

I think that they got around it by employing the use of the holodeck, this way it became a simulated story and stayed out of spin-off territory.

I suppose that’s as good a compromise one could make as any, though I really do wish it was canonized somehow.

quote:

There were a number of TNG episodes that delved more into the Klingon culture. But if you're looking for Klingon POV then DS9 is the place to go. Check out the episodes "Blood Oath," "The Sword Of Kahless" and "Once More Into The Breach." "Looking for par'Mach in All the Wrong Places" is also worth checking out, the Klingon focused storylines really ramped up after Worf joined the crew.

...I probably should stop faffing about and actually watch TNG and DS9 one of these nights. I keep meaning to, but something always comes up.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

HomestarCanter posted:

Oh, hey, my father has a copy of this game. We never got it working, though, because at that time we were all using Macs, and by the time we had Windows computers, they were too far ahead of tech to ever get it working. I did play and beat the Borg game, though. My family just got back from the Klingon Language Conference last weekend, so this is a nice coincidence. My father even got into our local paper.

I never even knew that there was such a thing as a Klingon Language Conference. What exactly is it? Unfortunately, the article that you posted isn't available in my country.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm struggling to find a replacement as the narrator character for He Who Shall Not Be Named, and I'm sick of using Emperor Palpatine over and over again for poo poo.
Jorhan Killzone, clearly.

There's something delightful about the idea of Gowron making immersive Klingon Culture Lab holosims in his spare time.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
I never got it, but a few years ago when Hastings was still around I found a hardback copy of Hamlet in Klingon.It was marked as a tie-in with Star Trek VI. I flipped through it a bit, it looked kind of like one of those parallel bibles with the english on one page and the Klingon version on the opposite. Still wasn't about to pay $25 for it though.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.

I never even knew that there was such a thing as a Klingon Language Conference. What exactly is it?

The Klingon Language Conference is the annual qep 'a' (great meeting) of speakers, writers, and enthusiasts of the Klingon Language. It is organized by the Klingon Language Institute

Unfortunately, the article that you posted isn't available in my country.

Here's the text.
https://pastebin.com/fxcvrNZ6

And maybe this video link will work?
https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.tow...34778.video.mp4

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

It's funny how many of the actors I recognise in this have shown up in other Star Trek episodes. Like the Klingon captain from The Chase, and Seska from Voyager.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Just as Star Trek: Borg had the best line John de Lancie would ever speak as Q ("THE BORG ARE FIRING!! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!! ...And it's your fault!") this game has (one of) Robert O'Reilly's all-time greatest Gowron moments.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Snorb posted:

Just as Star Trek: Borg had the best line John de Lancie would ever speak as Q ("THE BORG ARE FIRING!! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!! ...And it's your fault!") this game has (one of) Robert O'Reilly's all-time greatest Gowron moments.

The part where you can kick Q in the balls is pretty great. Because Q is a dipshit and Picard should have dick-punched him like 5 times at least during TNG but he was too classy for that.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

There's been a couple of issues with the next upload, it'll either happen within two hours or after I finish work.

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

I never got it, but a few years ago when Hastings was still around I found a hardback copy of Hamlet in Klingon.It was marked as a tie-in with Star Trek VI. I flipped through it a bit, it looked kind of like one of those parallel bibles with the english on one page and the Klingon version on the opposite. Still wasn't about to pay $25 for it though.

Hamlet and Much Ado About Nothing are now available in paperback and in the Kindle store.

HomestarCanter posted:

The Klingon Language Conference is the annual qep 'a' (great meeting) of speakers, writers, and enthusiasts of the Klingon Language. It is organized by the Klingon Language Institute

Here's the text.
https://pastebin.com/fxcvrNZ6

And maybe this video link will work?
https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.tow...34778.video.mp4

Thank you, the link and video both worked. Is that your dad in the video? He's a cool guy, I'm impressed.

Star Trek: Borg will be happening after Klingon. It sounds like it's going to be pretty fun, even though it's closely tied to Voyager.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

A lot happens in the next episode, so here is our next lesson in Klingon culture to prepare us for what we might face: Language Lab (Part 2 - Hol (Language,) Weapons & Rituals)

Also, we get to see more acting by Robert O'Reilly in full Gowron costume.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.

Is that your dad in the video?

That's him, all right. If anyone has any questions about the language or the Institute, I'd be happy to answer them, or get info from my father if I don't know the answer.

I still haven't watched any of the videos in this thread yet, but I'm hoping to finish up the DS9 thread and start these soon. I enjoy your commentary style, and look forward to your take on Borg, too.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm going to push the video uploads up by a day, episode two should happen tomorrow.

I decided to play (and record) Star Trek: Borg for the first time this morning and I finished it a few moments ago. It's going to take a while to process fully. It's shorter than I expected, the POV really goes to poo poo towards the end and there's more ham in this than in a field full of pigs. It was an interesting experience though.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Now I'm curious how many tries it took to get past one specific "puzzle" in Borg.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Holy poo poo, something amazing happened and somehow my YouTube subtitles got turned on. A++, the first vid intro is amazing learning about Oklahoma school ganache wavelets

Edit: Oh cool oh Bush love hair look wrong we'll pull it slow
No shots no spares

mercenarynuker fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 28, 2019

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Snorb posted:

Now I'm curious how many tries it took to get past one specific "puzzle" in Borg.

That depends, some of them I had to repeat as the cursor selection was very janky and it wouldn't let me select something. A couple of others I had to repeat because I didn't notice that the dull grey cursor had suddenly appeared because of a dull grey background. I used a guide to help me through, so most of the puzzles I eased through even though several didn't make any sense at the time. I'll be going back to do another round or two of recordings soon so things make more sense, and to record the wrong choices. I've just had to delete an hour and a half of extra recordings as I was recording in the wrong resolution. (I did a test recording of another game in between and forgot to change it back.)

I'll be going back in to record things again shortly, I thought I'd do it while I have a day off and plenty of free time. The Klingon material is 100% complete, I do intend to re-record a couple of sections of commentary in the third episode later for my own ease of mind though.

mercenarynuker posted:

Holy poo poo, something amazing happened and somehow my YouTube subtitles got turned on. A++, the first vid intro is amazing learning about Oklahoma school ganache wavelets

I'll have to check this out later, I'm intrigued.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 28, 2019

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
The autogenerated subtitles on YouTube... don't exactly handle Klingon all that well, (un?)fortunately.

That depends, some of them I had to repeat as the cursor selection was very janky and it wouldn't let me select something.

I'll put the relevant puzzle in spoilers.

After punching out Furlong, you pick up his phaser, turn it upside down, and have about a second and a half to press the very prominent button on the back before you turn it back over and give it back to him. Too bad for you the hotspot for the button isn't very accurate. Get used to hearing "They've adapted to our phaser settings... (ZAP) Arrrgh!" "(Zot) Urrrrgh!" a bunch.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Snorb posted:

The autogenerated subtitles on YouTube... don't exactly handle Klingon all that well, (un?)fortunately.

After punching out Furlong, you pick up his phaser, turn it upside down, and have about a second and a half to press the very prominent button on the back before you turn it back over and give it back to him. Too bad for you the hotspot for the button isn't very accurate. Get used to hearing "They've adapted to our phaser settings... (ZAP) Arrrgh!" "(Zot) Urrrrgh!" a bunch.

Oh yeah, gently caress that “puzzle” the one I had trouble with was inputing a code on a Borg console. You have to actually wait a second before pushing the next one because of loading. I was trying to press them in quick succession

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Snorb posted:

I was expecting it even with a guide and it still took several attempts to nail it! I'm surprised that there are so many mouse issues with Borg as it was made after Klingon.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, we start our mission to find the people behind the assassination attempt on Gowron. Along the way, we meet new friends, have fun and learn more about Klingon culture and customs.

This part of the game was really enjoyable, the puzzles weren't too difficult to solve and we did get to learn some new things. The next section wasn't so enjoyable, but before we get there I'll be uploading the first video of wrong choices followed by the last video of the Language Lab.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 29, 2019

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Interesting that from the one line he spoke, the old Klingon on the bridge is played by J. G. Hertzler. Better known for Martok. I think this game might have come out before he was regularly in the role.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I did not expect the singing.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Having now seen how Klingon bridge assignments work, I want more than ever before a game about Captain Klarr creating order from chaos.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Going through the first video, I gotta say Poq's uncles (I think they're his uncles? They're the two Klingons who headbutt each other, insult the rokeg blood pie, and talk about "a liquid spice called 'wodka'") are loving awesome.

Speaking of which, that was most definitely a reference to Worf's foster mother, Helena Rozhenko.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

HereticMIND posted:

...I probably should stop faffing about and actually watch TNG and DS9 one of these nights. I keep meaning to, but something always comes up.

I've been re-watching DS9, and I'm honestly amazed at how much better it was than I thought it would be; I first watched it as a wee nipper, and never saw it again until now.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Snorb posted:

Going through the first video, I gotta say Poq's uncles (I think they're his uncles? They're the two Klingons who headbutt each other, insult the rokeg blood pie, and talk about "a liquid spice called 'wodka'") are loving awesome.

Speaking of which, that was most definitely a reference to Worf's foster mother, Helena Rozhenko.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKQDRxs5Nzk

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

A quick post before I leave for work. There are a total of nineteen decisions that you need to make in the game, this video covers all the wrong choices that can be made in the first nine situations:

Wrong Choices (Part 1)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

(Poq fucks up over and over)

This I must quote for posterity as the greatest Gowron moment:

Gowron >>=( posted:

Are you sick?! Injured?! Surely you can move faster than that! What is the matter?! Do you not understand what is being said to you?! Try again! Faster! FASTER! *FASTERRRRRRRRRR!*

Before YouTube nuked the annotations feature, someone uploaded gameplay videos, including the four "stand around and do nothing" failures. Apparently when Gowron presses the painstik into his palm, you the player were supposed to receive an 80 volt shock through your mouse. Not sure about the veracity of that, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Oh my god, Robert O'Reilly really got into this. I am enjoying these wrong results over the right ones.