Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Awesome, thanks for the tips everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Some other tips--

1. Fire enforcer, enact crime lords deal, hire enforcer for free +10 stability
2. The level IV anomaly "weapon trails" starts the rubricator chain, free relic world with 8 scientist jobs. Don't finish the site.
3. The best starts involve either conquering another home world or finding primitives to invade. Take ethics that allow you to do so.
4. Surveying is very slow this patch. Consider sending two scientists to survey the same systems if they are important (AKA chokepoints). Anomalies can be ignored until they are safely inside your borders.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I'd add in don't immediately pick an ascension perk when a slot opens. Some really good ones are locked until you have enough pops or hit a particular requirement and I feel it's better to wait a bit rather than pick right away since once you've picked you can't swap them out.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'd add in don't immediately pick an ascension perk when a slot opens. Some really good ones are locked until you have enough pops or hit a particular requirement and I feel it's better to wait a bit rather than pick right away since once you've picked you can't swap them out.

This is good advice. Your first pick can often be made immediately; of the perks that don't require others to be taken, the only ones with tech pre-reqs are Voidborne, Eternal Vigilance, and Xenocompatibility. The former two aren't worth picking anyway; the latter might be but I never play Xenophile, so :shrug:

Your second, third, and fourth picks on the other hand, should almost certainly be Ascension 1, Arcology Project, Ascension 2, with the option of reversing the latter two according to tech draws. Because these all have tech pre-reqs, it's common to find yourself waiting for a tech draw. For that reason you can also safely delay finishing tradition trees for picks two through four.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

scaterry posted:

4. Surveying is very slow this patch. Consider sending two scientists to survey the same systems if they are important (AKA chokepoints). Anomalies can be ignored until they are safely inside your borders.
I feel like this is a bit much and not necessary unless you are really trying to pull off something crazy, and probably not good advice for a total newbie.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

lmao @ the millisecond I complete taking a primitive planet I get the "Rising Unemployment on <planet>" event.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Yeah I usually send out 3-4 science ships surveying each system in a straight line to the nearest chokes and then surveying the rest of my potential territory, with another one spiralling out researching easy anomalies behind them. Maybe it's not the pro-est strat but it gets me a good chunk of land on mid-level difficulty. I usually pop map the stars and hire only meticulous scientists (mod) so that keeps me busy for a while.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

M_Sinistrari posted:

Well, since we're showing off our created empires

...I decided to bring back Familiar Faces! glyphgryph hasn't updated since Utopia, so I wrenched it into version 2.3.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1816260519

Feel free to PM me your additions (copy and pasting from your my documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/user_empire_designs.txt makes it easy) or post them in the thread if you haven't paid your Lowtax.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Lum_ posted:

...I decided to bring back Familiar Faces! glyphgryph hasn't updated since Utopia, so I wrenched it into version 2.3.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1816260519

Feel free to PM me your additions (copy and pasting from your my documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/user_empire_designs.txt makes it easy) or post them in the thread if you haven't paid your Lowtax.

I've got a bunch based on popular sci-fi franchises including Star Trek, Mass Effect, Warhammer 40K, Starcraft, and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. A couple of them use the swarm icons only available on the testing branch. Here they are if you have any interest: https://pastebin.com/BPfdm3GP

Kaal fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 27, 2019

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Kaal posted:

I've got a bunch based on popular sci-fi franchises including Star Trek, Mass Effect, Warhammer 40K, Starcraft, and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. A couple of them use the swarm icons only available on the testing branch. Here they are if you have any interest: https://pastebin.com/BPfdm3GP

Went ahead and added them, thanks! (Nice touch on the race choice for WH40K Chaos)

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Lum_ posted:

Went ahead and added them, thanks! (Nice touch on the race choice for WH40K Chaos)

Enjoy! Also since I have nowhere else to complain about it, it's remarkably difficult to find decent descriptive flavour text about the non-human WH40K groups. There's literally dozens and dozens of books written, so why can't there be some good quotes or blurbs that summarize their perspective? Come on Black Library!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

One of my campaigns as isolationist Space Elves (Aurunor Cluster, Elves of Stellaris) is generating me 150 unity, 1500 research in each field, and a myriad of exotic resources, within 5 years of game start. I think I might be cheating too hard.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I keep popping by to ask every time my itch starts so.

Where we at? 2.1 left me abit cold with its rawness but I liked what they were doing. The newest DLC seems rad. Any recommended mods?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Kaal posted:

Enjoy! Also since I have nowhere else to complain about it, it's remarkably difficult to find decent descriptive flavour text about the non-human WH40K groups. There's literally dozens and dozens of books written, so why can't there be some good quotes or blurbs that summarize their perspective? Come on Black Library!

I use this

https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Eldar

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Anyone know of a mod that fixes this? Adds an Engineer Research Generating job somewhere?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I use Technology Guided. It gives you policies that adjust what researchers produce, giving (for instance) a -1 Phy, -1 Soc, +2 Eng modifier to each researcher.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

In other news, I seem to have lost track of how I kick a Criminal Syndicate's Branch Office off of a planet of mine? Can anyone point it out to me? Googling didnt help.

Vavrek posted:

I use Technology Guided. It gives you policies that adjust what researchers produce, giving (for instance) a -1 Phy, -1 Soc, +2 Eng modifier to each researcher.
Hrmm that is more than I was looking for but it also sounds really useful and neat so I may have to give it a go, thank you. Does it have any bloat beyond allowing those policies?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Don't you need to do a war on them? Like you can make them extremely unprofitable but you can't actually get rid of them without a war afaik.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

In other news, I seem to have lost track of how I kick a Criminal Syndicate's Branch Office off of a planet of mine? Can anyone point it out to me? Googling didnt help.

Hrmm that is more than I was looking for but it also sounds really useful and neat so I may have to give it a go, thank you. Does it have any bloat beyond allowing those policies?

The main mod it’s spliced from is really good, that’s just about it.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

If you get crime down to zero and keep it there for a while you could get a random event that shuts down the branch. Other than that, you need to declare war and use the 'Expropriation' war goal to get rid of them. If you win, it will close all the branches and you'll be compensated 1000 energy per branch.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Drive crime to zero, through the usual sorts of ways. Then there's a pulse event that can close down a branch on a planet. It can only fire so often though, so maybe there's a CB to close out all their offices like a regular Corporation, but I'm not sure.

Either way it's just crushing when they get in there in the very early game.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The expropriation casus belli gets them off of all planets immediately if you win the war, low crime (add Enforcer jobs to your planet - sorta sucks to need buildings but hey) will roll some sort of behind the scene chance to kick them off planet by planet.

e:

Grouchio posted:

One of my campaigns as isolationist Space Elves (Aurunor Cluster, Elves of Stellaris) is generating me 150 unity, 1500 research in each field, and a myriad of exotic resources, within 5 years of game start. I think I might be cheating too hard.

hhhhhow in the gently caress

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Grouchio posted:

You're definitely cheating too hard.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Thank you for all of the replies re: Removing a Criminal Syndicate's Branch Office - for some reason I thought there had been a decision or something that let me kick it off for a fee or something. Thankfully my Enforcers produce Unity so I feel less bad about building Precinct Houses.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

I was using this wiki as well, but I just wasn't finding what I wanted from it. But after a second look I think I found some better quotes to include. Thanks! https://pastebin.com/BPfdm3GP

Kaal fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 27, 2019

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

You're definitely cheating too hard.
When do you usually get that much research with no cheats?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Grouchio posted:

Pretty late game. And also by that time techs are much more expensive due to expansion.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Not sure, but certainly not 5 years in. 5 years in I usually haven't even built a second research lab.

e: Just fired up a save of mine, it's 2373 and I'm making 800 Physics and Engineering, 1200 society, on a +127% tech cost modifier. I'm comfortably ahead of the entire galaxy on tech (right at the end of non-repeatables basically), with the exception of FEs. This is only Admiral difficulty, but still, 1500 each category 5 years in is just wacky.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 27, 2019

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Vavrek posted:

Slightly related, something I noticed when building a ringworld: I think there's an event for when you first complete a section of the ringworld, and I didn't get that. I only got the events for building the frame and for completing the whole ring.
I can't see how anything I've done could affect that, but I'll go digging! Who knows :shepicide:

I've "fixed" the colonisation forbidden coloniser thing. I made an event that triggers when a habitat or ringworld colony finishes that scans through the pops for unsuitables, spawns a valid replacement, and murders the original. Not sure I've caught every possible edge case so let me know if you see any new funny habitat pop behaviour and also try not to think about the constant secret genocides.

e: big thanks to the Stellaris Modding Den discord they're real helpful and real friendly

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 28, 2019

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
It really feels to me like fallen empires should awaken more-or-less immediately when attacked by an end-game crisis.

"Oh, these extradimensional invaders just destroyed our defense fleets and glassed three planets in one system. No big deal."

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Does technocracy require fanatical materialist now? I thought it could be taken with regular materialist.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

No bloat. Like Back Hack said, it's just one component from a larger mod (Technology Ascendant), so it adds policies and nothing more.

Splicer posted:

I can't see how anything I've done could affect that, but I'll go digging! Who knows :shepicide:
I mean, sometimes megastructure events don't seem to grab attention in unmodded gameplay, but I think that's more when you're building your fourth one and are in the middle of ten things and the game just skips the dramatic "pause, show event box" flair. It could've been that? Also, similarly something that's not a big deal and might be insane to figure out: My ringworld colonies didn't get new names, but instead were Habitable Section A/B/C/D. This is either the rename step not working on them, or that I had just run out of names: I was using the random name button for my regular colonies, and eventually reached a point where it only offered me two because I'd taken every other name on the list for an existing planet.

ihop posted:

Does technocracy require fanatical materialist now? I thought it could be taken with regular materialist.
Yeah. It was changed in 2.3.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Lysidas posted:

It really feels to me like fallen empires should awaken more-or-less immediately when attacked by an end-game crisis.

"Oh, these extradimensional invaders just destroyed our defense fleets and glassed three planets in one system. No big deal."

In my current Killbot game by the time they decided to finally wake up they've already lost two humiliation wars, and were literally the last civ in the game that wasn't me.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I just never have fallen empires in my games.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Okay, so how many of us call our DE "Killbots"?

Because that was the first empire I designed with the machine dlc, and I've spawned them in every game since.

e: there should be some hidden mechanic of sending enough waves of corvettes to reach their kill limit imho

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

How do I effectively push towards an ethic? I'm trying to switch to authoritarian, ethic is at 16% support, I'm supporting faction, the expected amount is 22% but it just won't budge (years gone already). Any trick I'm not aware of?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Vavrek posted:

No bloat. Like Back Hack said, it's just one component from a larger mod (Technology Ascendant), so it adds policies and nothing more.
Awesome, that is great news, thank you.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

canepazzo posted:

How do I effectively push towards an ethic? I'm trying to switch to authoritarian, ethic is at 16% support, I'm supporting faction, the expected amount is 22% but it just won't budge (years gone already). Any trick I'm not aware of?

Yeah, I haven't been able to do this either. I dunno if the mechanic is busted or just glacially slow.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
If the ethic is contrary to currently what's in power, you can support a irrelevant 3rd party ethic to push out the unwanted old one. Ex if you want Authoritarian, currently have Egalitarian, can push spiritual which (depending on stuff) might replace/erase the Egalitarian and then allow you to swap policies to be more explicitly Authoritarian.

I've not tried, but maybe just randomly dicking with every other faction's requests will weaken them enough so the Auths gain support?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Is there a mod that sets the spawn chance of rubricator to 0%? Literally every new game I have started since getting ancient relics has tried to force that relic down my throat, I want to see the rest of the stuff this expansion has to offer.