Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kvlt! posted:

Uhh no id argue the ridiculously twisty plots are as much of the appeal of the movies as the traps are

yeah the traps feel like an afterthought compared to the timeline bullshit and stupid twists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Speaking of Friday the 13th, you know what could be a potentiality cool movie for that franchise? A prequel film about Jason's mom's murdering people. I feel like she's kind of an over looked part of that franchise and there's a lot of interesting horror to be mined from a grieving mother's decent into madness.

One that takes place over many years might be cool, with her as like a low key serial killer no one catches or even really suspects, like have her move around kind of regularly or something. Then as the years go on she gets more wreckless and brutal until we catch up to when the first movie happens and she just loses it that night slaughtering the counselers.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I will say - if you ask a random person what they remember about Saw, it won't be traps or gore. It will be "dead man on floor turns out to be the killer" which definitely informed the rest of the series as they spent years trying to chase that same level of twist.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Neo Rasa posted:

One that takes place over many years might be cool, with her as like a low key serial killer no one catches or even really suspects, like have her move around kind of regularly or something. Then as the years go on she gets more wreckless and brutal until we catch up to when the first movie happens and she just loses it that night slaughtering the counselers.

That would be a good miniseries.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Speaking of Friday the 13th, you know what could be a potentiality cool movie for that franchise? A prequel film about Jason's mom's murdering people. I feel like she's kind of an over looked part of that franchise and there's a lot of interesting horror to be mined from a grieving mother's decent into madness.

There was a comic book a while ago about a pregnant Pamela Voorhees, but I don’t think she was actively killing anyone.

https://fridaythe13th.fandom.com/wiki/Friday_the_13th:_Pamela%27s_Tale

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Hell yes

https://mobile.twitter.com/digitalspy/status/1155072847653605378

2 hours and 45 min and there will be a director cut that will be longer

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Hell yes

This is both good and bad because it could easily overstay it's welcome.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
That’s way too fuckin long

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I think it's good in this case because it means a LOT more kid time than you may have been expecting, and maybe even some of the old Derry flashbacks, which were the best part of the book.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Darko posted:

I think it's good in this case because it means a LOT more kid time than you may have been expecting, and maybe even some of the old Derry flashbacks, which were the best part of the book.

It’s gonna be like 30 additional minutes of Pennywise dancing around

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Blast Fantasto posted:

Even better, sign me up.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Darko posted:

:respek:

The shot of the sewer tunnel getting flooded also makes me optimistic that they'll include the other best part of the book, where a woman is blown to pieces on her toilet because the Derry sewer system tears itself apart.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hell yes

:barf:

Want a good length? Look at Crawl.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

One of my fav bits from the book is the first time the Losers come together and build a dam in the Barrens. Eddie and Bill had tried it before, but it was poorly built and Bowers' gang destroyed it. But all working together, using Ben's know-how, they successfully complete it. Then a cop tells them to dismantle it because they could cause a minor flood.

which they end up doing as adults when they destroy IT, and the levies break, flooding Derry.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I'm ok with a longer runtime in this case because it means there's probably a lot of stuff from the book that will be included that I wasn't expecting.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Blast Fantasto posted:

Hell I'll take it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

:barf:

Want a good length? Look at Crawl.

IT is like the complete opposite of scope as compared to Crawl. Cosmic otherworldly stuff, combined with multiple layers of on the nose subtext as compared to surviving alligators and a slight bit of father/daughter expectations subtext.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Oh boy and extra hour of BIG TONGUE quality cg!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They already made that movie, it was called Friday the 13th.

Hell yes

That's too long but that book really should've been a mini-series and not two movies.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lurdiak posted:

That's too long but that book really should've been a mini-series and not two movies.

The original was a mini-series... that was just two films. Does that count?

Speaking of which, for those that read the book, how split is the kids and the adult stuff? Like, is the adult stuff a lot longer so there's more of that to shove into a nearly 3 hour run time?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Darko posted:

IT is like the complete opposite of scope as compared to Crawl. Cosmic otherworldly stuff, combined with multiple layers of on the nose subtext as compared to surviving alligators and a slight bit of father/daughter expectations subtext.

Creatures are kind of otherworldly, when's the last time you personally dealt with a Jaws

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Speaking of which, for those that read the book, how split is the kids and the adult stuff? Like, is the adult stuff a lot longer so there's more of that to shove into a nearly 3 hour run time?

It literally keeps cutting back and forth in the book, there's probably more time spent with the kids overall. It would be pretty loving confusing if it was filmed that way, I gotta say.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

If they did it that way they could have just made a 5 hour horror epic.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

s.i.r.e. posted:

The original was a mini-series... that was just two films. Does that count?

Interestingly, the original plan was for the miniseries to be four, 2 hour parts. Then it got pared down to a 3 parter. And by the time Tommy Lee Wallace signed on to direct, ABC decided to go with 2 parts.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Watched Friday the 13th for the first time since I was a kid last night

Good flick

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Lurdiak posted:

They already made that movie, it was called Friday the 13th.

I know that! I just want another one with her.

COOL CORN posted:

Good flick

Heck yeah it is.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I dragged six of my friends to the midnight showing of IT part 1, there's literally zero chance any of them will come see the second part - midnight or not - with that runtime. Oh well.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Peccadillo posted:

Creatures are kind of otherworldly, when's the last time you personally dealt with a Jaws

January, I scuba with sharks ;)

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

COOL CORN posted:

Good flick

2 is a better version of part 1, and 4, fortunately, gets rid of the 1st person perspective silliness.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Goddamn was Quatermass II ahead of its time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Darko posted:

and maybe even some of the old Derry flashbacks, which were the best part of the book.

i skip those when i reread the book lmao

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Groovelord Neato posted:

i skip those when i reread the book lmao

whaaaaat. The stories about the lumberjack just going ham on people at the tavern with an axe, and the dust bowl gangsters getting lit up by an entire town are King at his focused best.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kvlt! posted:

Uhh no id argue the ridiculously twisty plots are as much of the appeal of the movies as the traps are

Absolutely. Beyond the first couple, most of the attraction is the soap opera

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Ebola Roulette posted:

I just watched Savageland and I want to talk about it.

First of all, excellent twist on the zombie film genre. Second of all, did anyone else notice that the zombie that attacks Grace at the end is wearing the same shirt as Ron (the guy with the gun who gets attacked at the beginning of the roll)? Somehow I don't that was a coincidence. It seemed to imply that Ron came back as a zombie before the night was over.

Yeah I think it's supposed to be him. Here's a link to an imgur gallery of all the photos in the movie and it seems pretty clear - compare photos 3 and 37: https://imgur.com/gallery/qBKgyjI

They establish pretty early on that some, if not most of the townspeople reanimated; it's been a year since I've seen it but iirc Salazar tells the psychiatrist that there was a teenage boy that he watched die and reanimated that he had to stab multiple times to put him down again

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

feedmyleg posted:

Goddamn was Quatermass II ahead of its time.

It's brilliant! Actually love the trilogy so much and just got the BBC Pit series on bluray.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Hell yes

I swear these long rear end films are actually putting me off going to the cinema.

Even if I've gone to the bathroom before it starts, by the time the movie + trailers have finished, i'm in dire need to go again. The alternative is to either sit there thirsty for nigh on 3 hours or get up and miss part of the film. I'm actually kinda surprised more people haven't complained about the length of movies or if cinema chains haven't noticed a downward trend in folk buying their ridiculously sized sodas.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Kin posted:

I swear these long rear end films are actually putting me off going to the cinema.

Even if I've gone to the bathroom before it starts, by the time the movie + trailers have finished, i'm in dire need to go again. The alternative is to either sit there thirsty for nigh on 3 hours or get up and miss part of the film. I'm actually kinda surprised more people haven't complained about the length of movies or if cinema chains haven't noticed a downward trend in folk buying their ridiculously sized sodas.
Yeah I don’t understand what happened there. I would think that theaters would greatly prefer shorter runtimes so they can cram in more shows per day. Has the home theater market diminished their sway over the studios that much?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Darko posted:

January, I scuba with sharks ;)

Not a fish, a Jaws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU