Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Vord posted:

Sure about that?

Ah gently caress. I forgot about him. I never watched Voyager. Or any Star Trek really

Because I'm not a moderator of Something Awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Vord posted:

Sure about that?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Hattie Masters posted:

Star Trek is studied By Paedophiles, not a study Of Paedophiles.

Vord posted:

Sure about that?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Vord posted:

Sure about that?

My roommate was watching Voyager the other day so I got to see the character he was dating for the first time. They apparently specifically casted somebody who looked like a child but wasn't for the part.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Iron Crowned posted:

The thing about sexual preference doesn't mean you have to do it. I mean I'm sure there are plenty of people who want to gently caress horses, but not all of them become MR. Hands

Yeah, some of them become VP of the United States.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Yeah, some of them become VP of the United States.

For one glorious moment the Prime Minister of the UK was an alleged pig fucker.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

CityMidnightJunky posted:

And now he is an alleged wife beater.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

It's canon that DC did indeed FADP

I didn't know about the wife beating but I'm not surprised, because tories are lower than vermin

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I know I'm late but isn't there an episode of South Park that basically says "hate crimes against black people aren't any different than killing your boss because you hate him so racism is over."

Lol at the thought of two lilly white guys from Colorado being the voice of a generation when it comes to race.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Elderbean posted:

I know I'm late but isn't there an episode of South Park that basically says "hate crimes against black people aren't any different than killing your boss because you hate him so racism is over."

Lol at the thought of two lilly white guys from Colorado being the voice of a generation when it comes to race.

I believe it was Token Black (voiced by a storyboard artist who was the show’s sole black employee), the show’s sole black character for 15+ years, who explained how as a black man, he confirmed racism was over and that the white adults, ignorant of the black experience, were making something out of nothing.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The hate crime episode is cool. It comes to the conclusion that Eric Cartman did not commit a hate crime, he's just an rear end in a top hat, which is loving stupid as hell when you look at the stuff he goes on to do. Pretending racism was over in the 90s sure was a thing.

There's also the episode where they pretend they aren't mocking disabled character Timmy, because everyone is totally laughing with and not at the fictional character voiced by Trey Parker.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The first couple of seasons of South Park are still my favorites, because for the most part it was just a bunch of dumb kids being dumb kids while some absurd bullshit happens in the town. Once the show became a soapbox for Parker & Stone's Important Opinions, I pretty much lost all interest.

By that point Cartman had also gone from "stupid fat kid who says racist poo poo because he's stupid, and gets humiliated pretty often" to "white supremacist supervillain mastermind who never gets his comeuppance" which didn't exactly help either.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

South Park has always been garbage for internet edgelords.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sweevo posted:

South Park has always been garbage for internet edgelords.
South Park had its finger on the pulse of a lot of nerdy boys ages 10-15. It talked about Pokemon, wanting a new Nintendo, those dumbass sexual harassment seminars we got at school, etc. We didn't realize what its idiot politics were, because South Park deliberately removes all real-world context from its commentary. It was just a funny show that was talking about poo poo that mattered to us, and it wasn't the political parts that resonated.

This is also why there are adults who have never grown out of the show.

If you want to understand South Park's role in our society, you have to look at the whole thing. You can't just separate out the good and the bad parts, because neither explains the show's cultural impact.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What makes South Park so insidious is the way that it tells viewers that they're normal, everything they think should go unchallenged, and whatever you already believe about the status quo is true. It's a show that presents itself as edgy and challenging, but it has the politics of a big bowl of Gen X oatmeal. It's comfort food for libertarians who never realized that they aren't the default option, and that their pre-existing positions aren't automatically neutral.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
There's a reason the best episodes are the Lord of the Rings one and the anime one and that reason is Butters who is the only good character.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Push El Burrito posted:

There's a reason the best episodes are the Lord of the Rings one and the anime one and that reason is Butters who is the only good character.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

South Park was always funny when it was crazy non-sequiturs about some current thing in pop culture like anime or pokemon. Whenever it got political it became "caring about anything is wrong and being preachy is wrong, watch while Stan or Kyle preach to the audience about why [thing] is wrong."

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, the hate crime episode was pretty much the biggest reason I quit SP cold turkey, since even dumbass teenaged me recognized how dumb that take was.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
I was legitimately surprised when they quit their truth-is-in-the-middle bit for the NAMBLA episode. That's the only time I can remember that they dropped that whole shtick. Comparing trans people to dolphins was ok, playing rape in Hollywood for laughs was ok, having gay and black mouthpieces agree that discrimination is healthy and good was ok, but raping children was a step too far even for them.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Butters is awful. He's pretty much a timid Cartman.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I can't believe Pip is loving dead.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gaunab posted:

Butters is awful. He's pretty much a timid Cartman.

Margerine was way better.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

hyperhazard posted:

I was legitimately surprised when they quit their truth-is-in-the-middle bit for the NAMBLA episode. That's the only time I can remember that they dropped that whole shtick. Comparing trans people to dolphins was ok, playing rape in Hollywood for laughs was ok, having gay and black mouthpieces agree that discrimination is healthy and good was ok, but raping children was a step too far even for them.

I mean what, did you expect them to say something like "we should only rape half the children"?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just because BoJo didn't gently caress a pig doesn't mean that he isn't an absolute pigfucker.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I mean what, did you expect them to say something like "we should only rape half the children"?

I mean they used their platform during the 2004 presidential election to make the bold statement of “both candidates are the same” so who knows

Also they made an episode where the central joke was that climate change doesn’t exist, which is one of the many backtracks they’ve done over the past few years.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I always believed in ManBearPig

Lurkman
Nov 4, 2008

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

These are libertarians we're talking about, they probably had to restrain themselves from going on about the tyranny of age-of-consent laws.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Allegedly Boris' party piece before he got too fat was sucking his own penis so there's still that to think about.
Also we've got no idea how many children he actually has, and there's been 2 affairs in the last couple of months that the papers refuse to mention (not even in an in joke way so there's probably no superinjunctions in place)

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

ookiimarukochan posted:

Allegedly Boris' party piece before he got too fat was sucking his own penis so there's still that to think about.
Also we've got no idea how many children he actually has, and there's been 2 affairs in the last couple of months that the papers refuse to mention (not even in an in joke way so there's probably no superinjunctions in place)

I was rewatching The Thick of It and it has plot points such as ministers resigning because their kids went to private schools and it made the govt look bad and stuff like that

Now there is a PM with an unknown number of children.

That's aged badly.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Is it easy to become a Prime Minister, because the last two really feel like Parliament just threw up their hands and picked somebody/anybody.

I've heard BoJo is really smart, but he looks like crackhead Rob Ford with hair.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Is it easy to become a Prime Minister, because the last two really feel like Parliament just threw up their hands and picked somebody/anybody.

I've heard BoJo is really smart, but he looks like crackhead Rob Ford with hair.

Well whoever you heard that from is a loving moron, because he's a loving moron. There's a reason people keep referring to him as the British Trump.

And twas the tories threw up their hands.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

from what i've gathered the only people who want to be prime minster these days are the ones too dumb to realize that there's no easy way through the brexit mess

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
The difficult bit is climbing the Tory party's internal greasy ladder of treachery and betrayal. Once you've done that, national media falls in line to slobber over your cock and electoral victory is all but given.

Amazingly, this has produced a series of prime ministers skilled at (a) betraying other conservatives and (b) gently caress all else.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

I've heard BoJo is really smart

The only people who say that are people who desperately want to believe that political process in the UK/US isn't broken af and that Boris or May or Trump or Cameron aren't the loving useless rich cunts who've failed upwards that they seem and are secretly geniuses playing 12 dimensional chess.
I dealt with Boris professionally a few decades ago - before he was "famous" but after it was public that he'd conspired with Darius Guppy to beat up a co-worker, and he was just as dumb in private then as he seems in public now.

Ian Hislop gets really angry if anyone suggests to him that Have I Got News For You helped popularise the Legend of BoJo, but he really should take some responsibility for it.

ookiimarukochan has a new favorite as of 18:15 on Jul 29, 2019

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Anyone in British 'satire' should accept responsibility because it's their brand of posh joshing that makes it all seem like a jolly game and not a matter of life and death

https://newhumanist.org.uk/articles/4919/the-strange-death-of-british-satire

Bakhtin was wrong, carnival supports the system

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Shut up Meg posted:

I was rewatching The Thick of It and it has plot points such as ministers resigning because their kids went to private schools and it made the govt look bad and stuff like that

Now there is a PM with an unknown number of children.

That's aged badly.

It was a bad thing because the minister was from the unspoken Labour analogue, ostensibly the left wing of the political system.

To the Tories, both fictional and real life, that would not even begin to matter.

Also hopping on BoJo chat, I have family that worked directly with him (civil service, they didn't like him either) who said that he was an egotistical little poo poo who is 100% both smarter than he looks and incapable of seeing further than his own self-interest. Also his favourite movie is (apparently) loving Dodgeball.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Lurkman posted:

These are libertarians we're talking about, they probably had to restrain themselves from going on about the tyranny of age-of-consent laws.

Fair point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

Anyone in British 'satire' should accept responsibility because it's their brand of posh joshing that makes it all seem like a jolly game and not a matter of life and death

We shat on South Park for popularising it, but "both sides are the same and caring about things is bad" has been a cornerstone of British (or, at least, English) culture for much longer.