Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

wooger posted:

Next you’ll be telling me you don’t use a 3rd party app to read Something Awful :aaaaa:

Hey now, SA may be dead and gay, but it's not unmitigated garbage like Twitter. Hell, use a 4th party app if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

wooger posted:

I’m not sure which examples you’re referring to, but there are multiple twitter apps on iOS & Android with slick, sane UIs, and which have been around for many years.

OEM Twitter on Android is fine, it's the web version that went quasi-mobile and terrible just recently. I tried a 3rd party web version a long time ago, for some reason it and its cult followers assumed you wanted to view two or three different feeds at the same time, updating live. Perhaps it was meant to feel Matrix-like and futuristic, I thought it was dreadful. And hasn't Twitter put restrictions on the API, so you can't make fully featured clones anyway?

Geemer posted:

Hey now, SA may be dead and gay, but it's not unmitigated garbage like Twitter. Hell, use a 4th party app if you want.

Hehe, 4th party? Some slick software for browsing Russian intercept databases?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Since the update I have pretty much stopped using twitter in the same way. I just load it up a few times a day and quick scan the people I follow for any thing of note. I used to have it open all the time.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Are you not using TweetDeck because you don't know about it, or because you don't like it? Because it hasn't changed appreciably in years and has for a long time been the only way you could control feeds with respect to whether you want to see retweets and a bunch of other nonsense that keeps timelines unreadable.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

D. Ebdrup posted:

Are you not using TweetDeck because you don't know about it, or because you don't like it? Because it hasn't changed appreciably in years and has for a long time been the only way you could control feeds with respect to whether you want to see retweets and a bunch of other nonsense that keeps timelines unreadable.

That's the one, I hated it. Not a major point, but it's not 3rd party, Twitter bought it ages ago. At least you can lose the noisy side menus and just look at your regular feed, but it's even narrower there: https://tweetdeck.twitter.com/

If there's some way of widening that beyond its maximum width in settings, it could be a replacement for the main view. I guess I'd want my PMs to have the same screen real estate as the main feed if I used it equally as much, but I don't so I don't. Same with notifications or following a particular search query or hashtag. It's an example of what I mentioned earlier, some weird GUI idea that someone fanatical enough to write their own client cares about.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ola posted:

That's the one, I hated it. Not a major point, but it's not 3rd party, Twitter bought it ages ago. At least you can lose the noisy side menus and just look at your regular feed, but it's even narrower there: https://tweetdeck.twitter.com/

If there's some way of widening that beyond its maximum width in settings, it could be a replacement for the main view. I guess I'd want my PMs to have the same screen real estate as the main feed if I used it equally as much, but I don't so I don't. Same with notifications or following a particular search query or hashtag. It's an example of what I mentioned earlier, some weird GUI idea that someone fanatical enough to write their own client cares about.
Tweetdeck Costumer is a nice little userscript that I think maybe fixes your issue?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I don't have any issue with Tweetdeck as I am not a user of it.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Tweetdeck doesn't have ads, just all on its own. I think it's worth it just for that even if you otherwise hate the interface.

The Better Tweetdeck extension can also customize the Tweetdeck width and add buttons to clear or roll-up each column right from the main screen.

Twitter restricted the API for third-party mobile clients from being able to do notifications, but one way third party clients get around this on Android (maybe IOS too?) is to have you also install the official client and turn its notifications on, and then they intercept those notifications and replace them with theirs instead. It sounds janky but it's completely seamless, so I wouldn't let the API changes stop you from considering third party clients.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Lakitu7 posted:

Twitter restricted the API for third-party mobile clients from being able to do notifications, but one way third party clients get around this on Android (maybe IOS too?) is to have you also install the official client and turn its notifications on, and then they intercept those notifications and replace them with theirs instead. It sounds janky but it's completely seamless, so I wouldn't let the API changes stop you from considering third party clients.

On Flamingo, I get notifications, and I don't have the official Twitter app installed, so I wonder if they removed that restriction, or if Sam Ruston found a way around it…

Frankly, the only thing that they locked down that I don't like is Polls can't be seen by 3rd Party Clients.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Lakitu7 posted:

Tweetdeck doesn't have ads, just all on its own. I think it's worth it just for that even if you otherwise hate the interface.

The Better Tweetdeck extension can also customize the Tweetdeck width and add buttons to clear or roll-up each column right from the main screen.

Holy loving misuse of permissions, that add-on has all kinds of problems. No loving way I'm installing that.

Anyone who'sfigured out a way around the API limits that Twitter enforces are unlikely to share them because then they're gonna get closed.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Kheldarn posted:

On Flamingo, I get notifications, and I don't have the official Twitter app installed, so I wonder if they removed that restriction, or if Sam Ruston found a way around it…

Frankly, the only thing that they locked down that I don't like is Polls can't be seen by 3rd Party Clients.

Isn't Flamingo dead?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

101 posted:

Isn't Flamingo dead?

Yes and no. It hit the Twitter Token Limit, so it's been pulled from the store, but anyone who already purchased it can continue to use it.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Not to pull away from Twitter chat but every once in a while my Firefox has an issue where the extensions will all stop working one by one until I restart the browser. Usually I don't notice until suddenly I'm inundated with a million ads, at which point I start clicking around and realize that all my other extensions have quit working too (although they're still "enabled" according to the browser.) Restarting is an easy enough fix but does anyone know why it does this to begin with and how I can prevent it?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Pikestaff posted:

Not to pull away from Twitter chat but every once in a while my Firefox has an issue where the extensions will all stop working one by one until I restart the browser. Usually I don't notice until suddenly I'm inundated with a million ads, at which point I start clicking around and realize that all my other extensions have quit working too (although they're still "enabled" according to the browser.) Restarting is an easy enough fix but does anyone know why it does this to begin with and how I can prevent it?

No idea what's causing it, but it's nothing good. If you're confident you don't have any malware (scan your machine) then a new Firefox profile should sort it out.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Pikestaff posted:

I've seen that happen before when my extension host process crashed or ran into memory pressure, though I haven't seen it happen myself in a while.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
What Gmail extension is the best to use? I've been using Checker Plus, but some recent update made it unable to load my inbox in a new tab when I want to see the full email.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

MohShuvuu posted:

What Gmail extension is the best to use? I've been using Checker Plus, but some recent update made it unable to load my inbox in a new tab when I want to see the full email.

What do you want out of a Gmail extension? I just leave Gmail open in a pinned tab, and that does what I need.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

MohShuvuu posted:

I use Gmail Notifier. Although looking between the two it looks like Checker Plus can open a separate window for gmail. Notifier will open a new tab.

Edit: I misunderstood the screenshot I was looking at. Pretty sure they both do the same thing now.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 5, 2019

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Gmail notifier works. The problem with Checker Plus is that it didn't go to my inbox. it would open a new tab and nothing would load.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Can't Gmail do toast notifications on its own? What are these notifier extensions adding?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How do I prevent Firefox from trying to find a website to match the search term I type in the address bar? For example, I put in "bobfish" and it took me to the website of some car dealership in West Bend somewhere that I'd never visited before. I wanted to do a Google search instead. I have the setting to use the address bar for search and navigation. It wasn't doing this until recently.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

hooah posted:

How do I prevent Firefox from trying to find a website to match the search term I type in the address bar? For example, I put in "bobfish" and it took me to the website of some car dealership in West Bend somewhere that I'd never visited before. I wanted to do a Google search instead. I have the setting to use the address bar for search and navigation. It wasn't doing this until recently.

Check my post history.

nielsm posted:

I've turned off all implicit searching from my URL bar, it's never a thing I want. Either I enter a full, valid URL, and that's exactly the URL I mean, I enter a fully qualified domain name and I mean to visit exactly that domain, or I enter a defined keyword. (Or I use the type-to-find in history and bookmarks and select something from the dropdown.) Search bar for submitting a search, URL bar for loading URLs.

I think the about :config settings to disabled for it are:
keyword.enabled
browser.fixup.alternate.enabled

I also disable browser.urlbar.autoFill so hitting Enter accidentally doesn't go to something semi-random from my history.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

nielsm posted:

Check my post history.

Thanks, but even with setting all three of those to false it still wants to make a url out of my search term.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Toast Museum posted:

Can't Gmail do toast notifications on its own? What are these notifier extensions adding?

That was my question as well. Notifications are built into Gmail.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Is there an extension or even a greasemonkey script to display youtube titles on the forums? The one I was using doesn't work now for some reason, but was working fine yesterday.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bugsy posted:

Is there an extension or even a greasemonkey script to display youtube titles on the forums? The one I was using doesn't work now for some reason, but was working fine yesterday.

I've been using Youtube Link Title for years, but it also stopped working for me today. Usually when this happens it just means that youtube changed something and the script writers have to catch up and push out a new version. Takes a few days, usually. But concerningly, this time the script seems to have vanished from greasyfork, so I don't know what's going on there.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I use Violentmonkey 2.11.2 and Youtube Link Title, and everything is working fine.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Can you please provide a link or a pastebin?
Google is a mess of 404 and last updated 5 years ago.

SALR used to do it but hasn't worked for a while now.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
https://pastebin.com/zVby1603

This?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Is there a way to get the macOS dictionary "Look Up" functionality in the right-click context menu when text is selected? Other browsers have this out of the box.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

Thanks, but even with setting all three of those to false it still wants to make a url out of my search term.

Ended up that browser.fixup.dns_first_for_single_words somehow got enabled. Changed it back to false (so now it's bolded as changed from default for some reason) and it's working as expected.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

hooah posted:

Use Ctrl+K to prefill ? than type your search term. The ? restricts the address bar to just search and not autocomplete.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Sorry, I meant Youtube Link Title, not Get Me Old Youtube.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I found a discussion on reddit that says Link Title uses an expired YouTube API key which is why it's not working.

They offer a solution which is supposed to give you a new one to paste into the code, but damned if I could get it to work.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

~Coxy posted:

Sorry, I meant Youtube Link Title, not Get Me Old Youtube.

Oh Shi... I thought that was what I was posting, guess I was tired, if you still need it, here's the correct one.

https://pastebin.com/DEqr8Bsj

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I also use youtube link title w/ violentmonkey, and I can confirm that the reddit API key thing here:

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I found a discussion on reddit that says Link Title uses an expired YouTube API key which is why it's not working.

They offer a solution which is supposed to give you a new one to paste into the code, but damned if I could get it to work.
works.

If you're having trouble select all of line 634 and paste this, then paste your api key in:
code:
net.json('https://www.googleapis.com/youtube/v3/videos?id=' + vid + '&part=' + part.join(',') + '&fields=items(' + fields.join(',') + ')&key=PASTE_API_KEY_HERE', function(code, obj, txt) {
Or I can PM people the whole script with my key that I just made, if anyone for example doesn't have a google account.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Splinter posted:

Is there a way to get the macOS dictionary "Look Up" functionality in the right-click context menu when text is selected? Other browsers have this out of the box.

Like this? You don't even have to right-click. Once it's highlighted it pops up the definition.

There's a ton of them if you just google "Firefox dictionary" but I use this one: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/dictionary-anyvhere/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

AnimalChin posted:

Like this? You don't even have to right-click. Once it's highlighted it pops up the definition.

There's a ton of them if you just google "Firefox dictionary" but I use this one: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/dictionary-anyvhere/

I was talking about using the built in OS dictionary/thesaurus/etc as it seems kinda silly to have to use a 3rd party dictionary/widget when there's a perfectly fine option built into the OS (that other browsers/apps have no trouble accessing).

Something like: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/lookup-in-dictionary/ is kinda what I'm talking about, but this isn't as smooth as other browsers as it actually opens up Dictionary.app rather than just showing the native popup widget.

After some more research it sounds like the issue is Firefox doesn't include any native context menu items, so it's more than just "Look Up" that's missing (believe it is related to https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=660452).

I did discover that the native dictionary widget is still accessible via Ctrl + Cmd + D (or 3 finger tap if you have a trackpad), so that's what I'm going with for now.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So if everyone will be using their own API key for this now, then that means we're identifying ourselves to Google (or at the very least handing them a nice clear fingerprint) every time we load a page, anywhere on the Internet, that has a youtube link? Yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Same question really, with this new API we have to use, what are the privacy implications of all this now? Is Google able to better track us now, I'm not a fan of making things easier for Google.