Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
What the gently caress happened to intermissions?

It's inhumane to expect a paying customer to hold their bladder for >2.5 hours while they digest culture, soda, snacks and the overall American cinema experience.

The absolute last film I remember needing and thanking for having an intermission in was Gods and Generals. If it didn't have one, the film would have enacted itself through audience rioting.

I want IT 2 to be a good film, I saw the first part in a theater and it was a treat. I probably won't be seeing it in theaters though. Having to strategically piss and play the bladder game with the crowd is just unfun enough to cancel out what's gained by the setting.

Plus drastically fewer show times throughout the day.

I'm just scratching my head trying to see the logic in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

What the gently caress happened to intermissions?

It's inhumane to expect a paying customer to hold their bladder for >2.5 hours while they digest culture, soda, snacks and the overall American cinema experience.

Yeah intermissions would be nice for a lot of films. Most of my local theaters serve beer which makes sitting through the entire film without using the restroom next to impossible for me. I usually will just get up because I feel like I'm missing more being distracted by holding my bladder than just hauling rear end to the restroom and back.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

I wonder what the leverage is?

Like a threat to just skip cinemas altogether and just go straight to streaming or something?

In the UK at least I don't think there's that many cinema chains close together that if one of the big ones refused to show a film, the others would suddenly pick up an influx of people.

On top of that, don't they rely on the cinema chains to bring in the majority of the revenue for a film?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

You guys have weird bladders, and mine is pretty small.

However, I don't drink pop/soda or eat movie theater snacks either. Beer if they serve it, I guess.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Intermissions also make a lot of sense financially. Theaters famously dont keep their box office receipts, so getting a second bite at the concessions sales apple without having to sell a second ticket makes a lot of sense, right?

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Basically I am an old man and I want the toilet-recliners from Idiocracy to be real.

IT SPOILERSThe turtle's showing up when you take a piss. Doesn't matter when.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Give me 3-4 hour movies with an intermission. Id love that.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I thought intermissions were a holdover from film barging into theater's territory and they went away when not even the snobbiest movies were pretending to create that kind of experience

Last wide release movies with intermissions were Grindhouse and one cut of Hateful Eight, right? Films explicitly trying to create and sustain a certain mood.

Or maybe I'm not remembering other examples

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I thought intermissions were a holdover from film barging into theater's territory and they went away when not even the snobbiest movies were pretending to create that kind of experience

Intermissions went away because movie studios hate them, not for any logical reason.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Lurdiak posted:

Intermissions went away because movie studios hate them, not for any logical reason.

I've never heard that before, why do they hate them?

Also, shout out to the person in this thread who recommended They're Watching, that was a good movie.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I've never heard that before, why do they hate them?

Shrecknet posted:

Theaters getting a second bite at the concessions sales apple without having to sell a second ticket makes a lot of sense for the exhibitors

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Intermissions also add up to a lot of time a month the screen isn't showing the movie the studio wants seen. In their mind that's money just going into the void.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Lurdiak posted:

Intermissions also add up to a lot of time a month the screen isn't showing the movie the studio wants seen. In their mind that's money just going into the void.

I mean, that's their logic yeah but that doesn't loving matter when your movie's showing on like four different screens at once.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
You wanna know whose still doing intermissions? India. And as someone who worked a theatre showing some Bollywood on occasion, those intermissions are both damnable to the lazy worker and a godsend to business owners.

I remember my local, small town theater forcing an intermission during the second Harry Potter, splicing a 15 minute intermission reel between two of the film's own reels. So just as Harry, Ron, and Hermione are explaining their plans, the film is interrupted mid-line to display the word 'Intermission'. As a youngin' who was dropped off by my parents without any money for snacks, that wait was interminable.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

King Vidiot posted:

I mean, that's their logic yeah but that doesn't loving matter when your movie's showing on like four different screens at once.

Exhibitors have very little bargaining power.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

Executives do not make decisions based on logic.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Just piss on the floor, how have you morons not thought of that yet

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tart Kitty posted:

whaaaaat. The stories about the lumberjack just going ham on people at the tavern with an axe, and the dust bowl gangsters getting lit up by an entire town are King at his focused best.

it was good the first time but one of the things i dislike about king is his books are often too much. usually it's just too much backstory with characters but with IT it's the entire town. i'm definitely in the minority on this based on reading the king thread in book barn because i'm a big fan of his ideas about i find his execution lacking a great deal nearly every time.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

IT SPOILERSThe turtle's showing up when you take a piss. Doesn't matter when.

There’s a near-zero percent chance that makes it into the movie.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Blast Fantasto posted:

if I drink enough beer first it's like a 99% chance

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shrecknet posted:

Intermissions also make a lot of sense financially. Theaters famously dont keep their box office receipts, so getting a second bite at the concessions sales apple without having to sell a second ticket makes a lot of sense, right?

Intermissions don't really make a lot of sense as a whole. The majority of ticket sales go right back to the studios, where the theater itself makes money off the concessions. Lets look at it this way, a 90 minute movie, with 30 minutes between movies has a 2 hour turn around. So every two hours the studio is getting their take and the theater is getting theirs.

A 4 hour movie, with intermission and between time is now 5 hours, the studio is getting less money back. To top that off, not everyone is going back for a second round of extra buttered popcorn and a child sized caffeine free diet coke, so they're not getting nearly as much back.

I worked in a theater when Titanic was playing, and anyone who has been an usher can tell you that the two kinds of movies that are the worst to clean up are children's movies, and long movies. We'd be getting the leaf- blower out for every showing of Titanic, and that bitch ran on the biggest screen for at least 3 months before going to successively smaller ones.

Thankfully I wasn't involved in time someone leaf-blowered the used diaper.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

has anyone seen tom hollands new movie rock papers scissors is it good? i will watch it tonight and report back

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Darko posted:

You guys have weird bladders, and mine is pretty small.

How old are you? I used to be able to hold my bladder a whole day if need be back in my teens and early 20s, but I'm 31 now and that isn't the case anymore unless I want to be in extreme discomfort. It sucks too because with a nearly 3 hour run time I know I'm going to have to empty the tank before the film and not enjoy poo poo to drink during it so I don't miss anything.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

All this talk of It Chapter Two reminded me I never got around to watching Chapter One. So I did! And I like it a lot and am now pretty sure I'm seeing Chapter Two in theaters.

Thank you for reading, have a nice day

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

s.i.r.e. posted:

How old are you? I used to be able to hold my bladder a whole day if need be back in my teens and early 20s, but I'm 31 now and that isn't the case anymore unless I want to be in extreme discomfort. It sucks too because with a nearly 3 hour run time I know I'm going to have to empty the tank before the film and not enjoy poo poo to drink during it so I don't miss anything.

I'm 35, and Avengers Endgame was the first 3 hour movie I'd been to in a bunch of years, probably since Return of the King. Yea, there was definitely a major difference in the way I had to plan things out(avoid drinking too much beforehand, make sure I go to the bathroom right before it starts) now versus how casual I could be about that stuff in my 20s. I made an effort to just barely sip at my soda when my mouth got a little dry and still I barely made it to the end. 15 more minutes and I'd have had no choice but to go to the bathroom.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Blast Fantasto posted:

The first one had a bunch of visual references to turtle, so I think there is a good chance it's there in some form.

Also, for any New Yorker horror fans, BAM is doing a screening of Nightingale with a Jennifer Kent Q&A Thursday evening. I know the film itself is not strictly going to be horror, but it looks great and I'm excited to hear Kent speak despite how lovely Q&As tend to be. My wife and I were able to get tickets this morning, so seats should be available.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 29, 2019

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

im 21 and can barely sit thru a movie in a theater without peeing bc i get so much anxiety about having to pee during a movie it makes me have to pee

at home i can watch a 8 hour miniseries with no bathroom breaks its weird

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Basebf555 posted:

I'm 35, and Avengers Endgame was the first 3 hour movie I'd been to in a bunch of years, probably since Return of the King. Yea, there was definitely a major difference in the way I had to plan things out(avoid drinking too much beforehand, make sure I go to the bathroom right before it starts) now versus how casual I could be about that stuff in my 20s. I made an effort to just barely sip at my soda when my mouth got a little dry and still I barely made it to the end. 15 more minutes and I'd have had no choice but to go to the bathroom.

I saw Endgame twice and neither showing was I able to enjoy things at the end because I needed to piss like crazy. Though I did have two full on meals right before both showings but I wasn't going to make it 3 hours without a full stomach to digest during the showing but that also comes with the need to piss. It sucks.

I remember when I was younger and I would see older people leave the theater to use the bathroom and would wonder, "You paid good money to watch the movie, can't you hold it?"

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

I'm 35 and the only times I've used the bathroom during a showing the past decade has been to take a break from a terrible movie I was watching with family

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

s.i.r.e. posted:

I saw Endgame twice and neither showing was I able to enjoy things at the end because I needed to piss like crazy. Though I did have two full on meals right before both showings but I wasn't going to make it 3 hours without a full stomach to digest during the showing but that also comes with the need to piss. It sucks.

I remember when I was younger and I would see older people leave the theater to use the bathroom and would wonder, "You paid good money to watch the movie, can't you hold it?"

Yeah, hell, at home I pause movies like 3 times to piss, or get a drink, or shovel some snacks down my gullet.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm 33 and only need to take a piss break during a movie if I drink a ton beforehand. But I also don't feel the need to eat or drink anything to enjoy my movie. I tend to only drink a lot if I am bored.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I dehydrate myself for a day prior to seeing any movie

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I drink beer and watch movies at home but I can never take advantage of those theaters that serve beer because if I didn't have the ability to pause the movie I'd miss half it. When I'm drinking I'm going to the bathroom like twice an hour, it's ridiculous.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So I recently watched Under the Skin; here's my letterboxed review:

quote:

Here's the synopsis: If aliens came to earth and looked like Scarlett Johanssen, they could easily seduce soccer hooligans and club idiots in Scotland. But watch out!, some people are lovely to woman! Hooray.

This is a movie with literally no dialog. Oh, there's speech in the movie, even from the main character. But there's nothing being said, it's prattle (and deliberately so!). But I just can't with this movie. At one point there is a 50 second single shot of taking a single bite of a piece of cake. It's worthless. It's padding and gently caress no this 43 minute Outer Limits episode did not need to creep up on 2 whole goddamn hours.

I'm not asking for a Kevin Smith movie, I understand the idea that sometimes it's the actors performance or the shot framing that makes a movie, but this feels more like a conceptual mood piece than an actual proper film. I'm glad it bombed, we're given nothing to hang our narrative heart on and other than one spooky body-horror moment, it's a tiresome slog.

If you told me 10 years ago that I'd be pissed off after watching a movie about a naked Scarlett Johanssen seducing dudes, I would not have believed you, but here we are.
What I want to talk about is the idea of "mood pieces," and what anyone sees in them. Like, I get what they are, what I don't understand is why they exist. They're essentially really elaborate screen-savers or like those DVDs of fish aquariums. They serve no narrative purpose, and to me film/cinema is a narrative medium. Like, a book that was just endless descriptions of a beautiful flower-filled field would be horrible, because you need some sort of story. Any story will do, make the story about a bee flying from flower to flower getting more pollen and then having too much pollen to make it back to the hive, I don't care. But you have to give me something or I just cannot get into it. I don't think it's pretentious, I think it's unfinished. Am I way off base?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

BrendianaJones posted:

I tend to only drink a lot if I am bored.

Same but it has nothing to do with movies

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i have never once got up during a movie to use the restroom. i plan that poo poo out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shrecknet posted:

What I want to talk about is the idea of "mood pieces," and what anyone sees in them. Like, I get what they are, what I don't understand is why they exist. They're essentially really elaborate screen-savers or like those DVDs of fish aquariums. They serve no narrative purpose, and to me film/cinema is a narrative medium. Like, a book that was just endless descriptions of a beautiful flower-filled field would be horrible, because you need some sort of story. Any story will do, make the story about a bee flying from flower to flower getting more pollen and then having too much pollen to make it back to the hive, I don't care. But you have to give me something or I just cannot get into it. I don't think it's pretentious, I think it's unfinished. Am I way off base?

Yea I think you're off base, at least related to Under the Skin. There is clearly a story, you just didn't absorb it, probably because you were initially bored and then became preoccupied by your own boredom and didn't engage with it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Shrecknet posted:

Like, a book that was just endless descriptions of a beautiful flower-filled field would be horrible, because you need some sort of story.

Proust would like a word with you

e: also yeah Under the Skin most definitely has a story, not sure what you mean by that

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I think you're off base, at least related to Under the Skin. There is clearly a story, you just didn't absorb it, probably because you were initially bored and then became preoccupied by your own boredom and didn't engage with it.
I will cop to getting angrier and angrier at scene after scene of endless driving/walking where nothing happened, or if it did it took ten minutes to do what should have taken 2 when there's no threat or conflict to ScarJo because every Scotsman willingly just follows a random girl into a spooky house because they're ruled by their dicks.

I get the arc, it just was so so so slow-paced and we're given absolutely nothing to the characters other than "ScarJo evil huntress, dudes horny" for over an hour. The complete lack of meaningful dialog for the entire movie is an artistic choice that I absolutely hated.

I just couldn't find any conflict at all in the first hour. She cruises for single men, captures them, and that's it. There's never any threat or challenge, nothing is learned about her character, none of the men matter or resist in any way, she just plans to seduce them and then effortlessly does. Hooray. This is well worth over an hour of runtime.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Shrecknet posted:

I'm not trying to be dismissive here

But sometimes I'm just in the mood for them

Sometimes I want a square meal at a sit down restaurant. Sometimes I want a good burger I can eat in my car. Sometimes I want a bag of candy I can cry into and forget my day.

Different experiences for different moods. A spare film can be tense, atmospheric, moody, funny, and as many things as other films. And spare probably isn't the right word; Playtime is missing elements most movies have but I wouldn't say it's minimalistic. Removing typical elements can shine a spotlight on what remains, hopefully to that remainder's benefit.