Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's the best?
Kirika
Dess
View Results

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I actually jumped out of my chair when stand St. Germain started singing with Hibiki. Show totally owns.

Unrelated, but I hope Banpresto gets the rights to put Symphogear in a Super Robot Wars one of these days. It'd fit right in and weirder stuff has been in SRW at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gently caress HIM SO MUCH

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The only thing keeping that fucker from being the worst anime dad is that he is, technically, a granddad

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

OnimaruXLR posted:

The only thing keeping that fucker from being the worst anime dad is that he is, technically, a granddad

Well no he is actually the dad. He had Tsubasa with his son's wife, and passed himself off as the grandfather.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
That seems like something I should remember! What series was that?

explains the hair though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

OnimaruXLR posted:

That seems like something I should remember! What series was that?

explains the hair though.

Symphogear GX episode 9.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

This episode whips rear end. Some of these songs are actually good, so they get released as a soundtrack?

Also Maria’s transformation sequence :swoon:

Billzasilver fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 28, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

If the final episode isn't 15 minutes of the main cast punching bad dad I'll be super upset

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Calvin Coolposts posted:

I actually jumped out of my chair when stand St. Germain started singing with Hibiki. Show totally owns.

Unrelated, but I hope Banpresto gets the rights to put Symphogear in a Super Robot Wars one of these days. It'd fit right in and weirder stuff has been in SRW at this point.

https://namco.fandom.com/wiki/Super_Heroine_Chronicle

They already made a magical girl version of SRW. Just one game though. It even has Hibiki in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlx6mojjcYo

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Symphogear and Nanoha getting into SRW seems more likely than a decent Magical Girl equivalent, sadly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Billzasilver posted:

This episode whips rear end. Some of these songs are actually good, so they get released as a soundtrack?

Also Maria’s transformation sequence :swoon:
Not only do the songs get released as a soundtrack, the soundtracks are the entire point of this whole endeavor. That's right, this entire thing is basically just a commercial for CDs.

it's the best commercial ever.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mr. Fortitude posted:

https://namco.fandom.com/wiki/Super_Heroine_Chronicle

They already made a magical girl version of SRW. Just one game though. It even has Hibiki in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlx6mojjcYo

Super Heroine Chronicle was unfortunately a pretty bland, bad game. It also released around when Symphogear S1 was airing so it's only got Hibiki and Tsubasa and IIRC doesn't even finish the S1 plot.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/zerojustice315/status/1155520835815399425?s=21

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
i miss the dark armor colors and the dubstep ignite brought. amalgam seems cool tho

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hibiki what big arms you have

All the better to punch you with my dear

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

dudermcbrohan posted:

i miss the dark armor colors and the dubstep ignite brought. amalgam seems cool tho

The armors and their glow kind of grew on me, but the dubstep never did.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kanos posted:

Super Heroine Chronicle was unfortunately a pretty bland, bad game. It also released around when Symphogear S1 was airing so it's only got Hibiki and Tsubasa and IIRC doesn't even finish the S1 plot.
It's also got an extremely boring self-insert male protag who all the characters are into. The game has FE style supports but they're all between the protag and the girls. It kinda sucks.

There's at least a running gag of every girl being into Hibiki. Seeing the cast of Infinite Stratos talk about how dashing she is almost made the game worth it.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I laughed out loud at the villains roughing it in the beat up old van.

Also how often is it that we see the heroes being so overwhelmingly powerful compared to the villains and it's the villains who have to be clever and outsmart them instead of the other way around?

Kaiser Mazoku fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 28, 2019

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Also how often is it that we see the heroes being so overwhelmingly powerful compared to the villains and it's the villains who have to be clever and outsmart them instead of the other way around?

That was almost literally the plot of G. :haw: Basically every time the FiS girls showed up somewhere they got their asses kicked super hard by Team Primary Colors.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Also in AXZ the pattern was the Illuminati would show up and catch everyone off guard and then promptly retreat once the Symphogears regrouped because every time they didn't immediately retreat the Symphogears quickly overpowered them and started dealing serious damage.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Symphogear does this so well while still maintaining believable tension. The only other series I can think of at the moment that has the hero be leagues more powerful than the villains is One Punch Man and that's a gag series.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Nanoha StrikerS (which was a significant inspiration for Symphogear) also does it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

JoJo part 3 did it pretty well, too. It was based around the premise that pretty much all of the enemy stand users stood literally no chance against the Crusaders in a fair fight, so most of the "fights" in that show were mostly puzzles with the protagonists trying to figure out what the enemy stand that was ambushing them did and how to get around it rather than a punch up scenario. Basically the only fight in the series that is a straight knock down punch fight between two relatively equal opponents is Jotaro vs Dio.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 29, 2019

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I don’t know what senki zessho means, but probably “Bizarre Adventures”

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

"Oh? You're approaching me? Instead of running away you're coming right to me?"

"I can't make friends with you without getting closer."

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

You know, thinking about this season so far, it's really bold of an anime made in 2019 to have the primary antagonist be quite literally an ultra-radical Japanese nationalist/militarist. It's absolutely not a new theme in anime but it's rarely so on the nose.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Billzasilver posted:

I don’t know what senki zessho means, but probably “Bizarre Adventures”

I think it translates to something like "Battle Princess's Supreme Song"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

You know, thinking about this season so far, it's really bold of an anime made in 2019 to have the primary antagonist be quite literally an ultra-radical Japanese nationalist/militarist. It's absolutely not a new theme in anime but it's rarely so on the nose.

I liked how that one scientist in the lab Noble Red raided did that big mad-scientist rant about how it was the American dream to murder gods, and it placed him firmly on the side of the good guys.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Julias posted:

I think it translates to something like "Battle Princess's Supreme Song"
Valkyrie, but yeah. I think the 'official' localization is 'Superb Song of the Valkyries'

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Hibiki would totes say superb.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

swan song

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Swan Song is good

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kanos posted:

I mean Wild ARMS is a series about how guns are kind of horrifying so it's not like there's not precedent there

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
What a mean cliffhanger I'm guessing Vanessa called to tell her not to kill Miku and instead she killed the guy who conveniently earned his fate a few seconds earlier.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Welp, can't believe Miku's loving dead, big RIP

Strong episode, lots going on and I like most of it. Granpa Dad's moving slightly slower and more cautiously than I expected him to but that's probably for the best. Tsubasa is Extremely Cool even when Extremely Not Okay. Hibiki is a bad girlfriend but she's trying to do better.

My Big Official Symphogear XV Henshin Ranking:
1.)Tsubasa
2.)Hibiki
3.)Maria
4.)Chris
5.)Kirika
6.)Shirabe

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
can't believe miku shot hibiki, also sure it was the most blatant misdirection at the end but in the moment i couldn't stop myself from going NOOO

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/SpiritusNox15/status/1157731451732922371

So good...

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The real question is whether Miku is going to get grabbed and end up part of a superweapon again.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I'm glad that the takeover didn't last too long. would've gotten pretty annoying. i'm also glad that hibiki reaching out is starting to pay off, even if it is a bit quick. it makes sense because of noble red's backstory and I figure we're gonna see the individual members come around in stages with millaarc being last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa