Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Analdeath
Aug 12, 2007

Chilled-out entertainer.
:pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I tried to give bfv another chance and the amount of snipers is insane. I would play the game constantly if they just took the sniper class.out completely.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

What changed snipers in BFV versus 1?

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Sniper rifles are the worst thing that ever happened to FPS games.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
When bf v first came out I felt like snipers were the least obnoxious theyve been in the series. However in the past three months theyve gone back to the usual trash Im familiar with. Part of it is the Boys AT rifle but I see plenty of snipers using other weapons so Im not sure what else drove this increase.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Idk, having a few scouts is fine if they do their job but maybe there should be max numbers for each class. There's nothing more frustrating than being on a side where everyone plays sniper and just camps taking potshots at people but does nothing to assist the team (half the time standing up in full view too!). Even a scout who just hides somewhere elevated spotting and never firing makes a real difference.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
They need to not have scopes greater than 4x and bring back class neutral weapons so you can utilize the very useful spawn beacon and flare gun but with a shotty or smg. I like the p08 carbine, never even touched the sniper class in this game until it was released, but its a little weak

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

FastestGunAlive posted:

When bf v first came out I felt like snipers were the least obnoxious they’ve been in the series. However in the past three months they’ve gone back to the usual trash I’m familiar with. Part of it is the Boys AT rifle but I see plenty of snipers using other weapons so I’m not sure what else drove this increase.

The boys at rifle is so aggravating, just one hit and you are done.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I wish they'd get rid of armour in firestorm tbh

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

Even a scout who just hides somewhere elevated spotting and never firing makes a real difference.

Especially when you've got a squad mate doing Mosquito/Ju88 bombing runs.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

FastestGunAlive posted:

They need to not have scopes greater than 4x and bring back class neutral weapons so you can utilize the very useful spawn beacon and flare gun but with a shotty or smg. I like the p08 carbine, never even touched the sniper class in this game until it was released, but its a little weak

I just wish iron sighted stuff was better balanced. I could run around with the Lee-Enfield or M95 as an aggressive scout in BF1 and knew I stood a fair chance (And usually did very well). I loving loved it since fewer players had weapons with massive rates of fire and I never thought the sweet spot mechanic was overblown. In BFV, if you dont land a headshot, half the time youre dead before the second shot can be fired because the overwhelming majority of players either have full auto weapons, and even most semi-auto ones have rates of fire three or four times better than any bolt action rifle, which dont have a great damage advantage anymore.

Long range snipers can still go gently caress themselves. The Boys is mildly interesting, but its even useless against half tracks and light vehicles youd think it might be worth shooting at, while generally promoting the worst kind of sit back, never push, farm for kills while your team gets annihilated sniping.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

StevoMcQueen posted:

Especially when you've got a squad mate doing Mosquito/Ju88 bombing runs.

:3:

fartknocker posted:

the overwhelming majority of players either have full auto weapons, and even most semi-auto ones have rates of fire three or four times better than any bolt action rifle, which dont have a great damage advantage anymore.

Ive been trying to use the SMLE and g43 recently but up close Im screwed by automatic weapons (fair) and even at mid range I get punked by stg44s and g41s. Long range they dont have the damage or velocity to compete with snipers

How!
Oct 29, 2009

I like playing a front line/ aggressive scout. Bf1 was better for that though. I havent found a class that I really enjoy in this game yet.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I really liked being a mortarman but oh well. I also liked behemoths. Oh, and being able to pick which operation I wanted to play on a map with a little flavour info. There's a lot about bf1 I preferred. The gunplay is a little stronger in 5 but I still think 1 was the better game overall.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
Is Battlefield 1 still populated on PC? I've got V now on Origin Access, I guess.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

It is pretty remarkable how much they hosed up Operations from BF1 to this

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
I'm starting to think they aren't going to be able to pull this one out of the fire. Really hope that BC3 rumor pans out.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Hope the xbone crashing gets patched soon so i can play again. As flawed as this game is its still my favorite mp fps

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

sunday at work posted:

I'm starting to think they aren't going to be able to pull this one out of the fire. Really hope that BC3 rumor pans out.

Personally I think it almost certainly will. Battlefield is ripe to go back to modern era. I think most people would like to see that happen. Bad Company is a long fan requested thing and on top of that it has less potential to be politically loaded than most modern shooters since it can theoretically be a little bit more out there.

I don't think it's a question if as much as it's a question of "can Dice make a good BC game in the games as a service era or under EA in general right now?"

Personally I'd just kill for a full on remaster of BC2, not that that would ever happen.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 10, 2019

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Hope the xbone crashing gets patched soon so i can play again. As flawed as this game is it’s still my favorite mp fps

It is sad that this is literally probably the best fps on console right now. Bf4 is great but servers slowly dwindling

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

How! posted:

I like playing a front line/ aggressive scout. Bf1 was better for that though. I havent found a class that I really enjoy in this game yet.

BF4 recon with a shotgun and the spotty balls owns still

How!
Oct 29, 2009

SquirrelGrip posted:

BF4 recon with a shotgun and the spotty balls owns still

Unfortunately my first BF since Vietnam was BF1. Totally missed all the fun ones apparently.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Firestorm matchmaking is actually pretty palatable now. It's still long for a BR game, but I've been playing all weekend and there's rarely more than a minute wait between matches.

it was so dire a couple of months ago I pretty much wrote it off, but I'm glad it's at least playable now since I to me at least it's the BR I am enjoying most, even if it's super jank compared to Blackout.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Fastest find us a game im done with Apex

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

How! posted:

Unfortunately my first BF since Vietnam was BF1. Totally missed all the fun ones apparently.

What you missed:

- modern combat can be really, really fun.
- bad company 2 upped our ability to change the map with destruction. You could mow down a entire forest with a mounted machine gun and flat all defenses the enemy could use to advance
- recon class with recon grenades and shotgun
- snipers with the brush camuflage (that we afectinate call wookies)
- metro, 64 players, 1000 tickets, 24 hours servers

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

You missed "kill tanks with flashbangs" and "kill wookies with the XM25 Smoke launcher, which doesn't do damage", Tei.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007
And capturing a flag with a C4 powered dirt bike.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

StevoMcQueen posted:

And capturing a flag with a C4 powered dirt bike.

The list of awesome things to do and see are gigantic. The BF3 / BF4 / BC2 era was amazing.

Of the current era ( Battlefield One, Battlefield 5 ), I like the bayoneta rush, nothing like having somebody appear from the fog to stab from.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I liked in BC2 you could blow up the MCOM points with enough explosives. Eventually the points would be a cratered hellscape and in the middle the MCOM point would be standing and it would be impossible to arm since there was no cover. Then to beat that scenario you just keep shooting rockets at it until it blows up

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BC2 proved Rush was the best mode in Battlefield, but then they never captured that magic again and everyone went back to playing conquest.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Fried Watermelon posted:

I liked in BC2 you could blow up the MCOM points with enough explosives. Eventually the points would be a cratered hellscape and in the middle the MCOM point would be standing and it would be impossible to arm since there was no cover. Then to beat that scenario you just keep shooting rockets at it until it blows up

Rockets? The real MCOM tactic was having one player take the spotting drone while your squadmate slaps a ton of C4 on it and then fly that tiny ball of death onto the point and detonate it

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The last time DICE showed any sign of understanding their playerbase:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkHuUpGzOZs

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Seedge posted:

You missed "kill tanks with flashbangs" and "kill wookies with the XM25 Smoke launcher, which doesn't do damage", Tei.

https://youtu.be/cPsuZ0uRg-U

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Bf4 was possibly my favorite online game-playing experience ever. Supersquads, launching vehicles with friendly c4, and the UCAV made for the perfect experience.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BF4 had such a good PS4 goon presence since it was the only worthwhile multi player game on PS4 for like 6 months. Full parties all of the time for at least a year.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I think its very weird that I would honestly consider BF3 and BF4 so terrible that I nearly swore off the entire series. Is anyone else like that? Dont get me wrong Im not trying to say they were like WORST GAMES EVER or that youre wrong for liking them, but I didnt like anything about them other than the sound design.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

3 was my personal favorite. 4 was awesome because every goon had it and it was super easy to have two full squads of goons tearing up a server.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Kilometers Davis posted:

I think its very weird that I would honestly consider BF3 and BF4 so terrible that I nearly swore off the entire series. Is anyone else like that? Dont get me wrong Im not trying to say they were like WORST GAMES EVER or that youre wrong for liking them, but I didnt like anything about them other than the sound design.

Certainly not me. Ive put a little over 2000 hours into BF4 since the beginning of last year. Game owns.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't dislike BF1 or 5, but they are just flat out not as fun as previous games imo. Just not as fun to gently caress around in. I always felt like I settled in to some things I really liked doing in BC2, BF3 and BF4, but even after quite a few hours I mostly just felt lost and frustrated in the last 2 games. Everything in BF5 feels like a meat grinder. I get shot out of nowhere all the time. And maybe it's just me but the new classes feel a lot harder to excel at. I don't really feel like I'm good at anything in BF5 when I used to be a kickass engineer and a good medic, but those skills haven't translated well for some reason.

And that's not even getting into how much they've doubled down on the games as a service poo poo.

Still I don't regret buying either of them because they are pretty looking and really fun sometimes. I also like Firestorm quite a bit. I just can't make Battlefield my main thing anymore because it doesn't rope me in like it used to. It just feels more frustrating than fun a lot of the time. I'm honestly not sure if that's the game or me though. I definitely don't have the amount of free time or willingness to play the same game multiple hours a day like I used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah I dont know why its the case for me. BF5 is my favorite in the series, though I havent been playing it lately. BF1 behind that. Then probably BC2 and then all the rest with 3/4 at the bottom. Never played Hardline but meh. Battlefield is an awesome series but man does it ever get weird and lose focus sometimes. I just wish they would keep a more narrow focus on their game design. Lean into their strengths and everything else would fall into place. CoD is in the same situation really, though worse in my opinion. At least they seem to be pulling things back around and getting back to the basics of why their game is good.