Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Well okay then, good on you Hilgya, I guess. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
:siren: #1172: Ray of Hope :siren:

:ohdear:

Also, new book announcement: Book 6: Utterly Dwarfed

quote:

I'm thrilled to announce the sixth book in our main storyline, The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed. This book will cover all the material in the main strip from #947 until the end of the current storyline—basically, everything since the art upgrade. I know you're probably thinking, "Wait, did we get to the end of the current storyline?" No, dear reader, we did not. But we're close enough for me to have a pretty good page count for how much is left. The last time we did a new book, it was the smoothest and most hassle-free printing experience I've ever had, by far, and a large part of that was the fact that it had a much longer than usual window between announcing the book and it sitting on store shelves. Therefore, I've decided to keep that same longer pre-order period, which in turn means that if I want to have this book in everyone's hands by Christmas, I need to put it on sale now.

Which I just did! You can pre-order it right now from Ookoodook if you want a printed paper copy or from Gumroad if you want the digital version. We're aiming for the first week in December for the printed copies to start shipping out, with the PDFs releasing to everyone on December 10. You can learn more and ask questions on the forum thread for the book, or check out our product page.

I'm also putting this year's OOTS calendar on sale now. Yes, this is absurdly early. But I didn't want people who were also planning to buy the calendar when it came out to feel like they had to wait to order the book. This way, if you want both, you should be able to order them together now at a lower postage rate and have them both show up at the same time in December. This year's calendar is themed around spellcasting, with each month featuring a different OOTS caster weaving a different spell. You can pre-order that through Ookoodook, too[/url], or through Gumroad if you just want a PDF copy. There will still be holiday ornaments and t-shirts as usual, but I won't be announcing them until closer to Thanksgiving (since they ship from a different location anyway).

quote:

The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
Here comes the sixth volume of The Order of the Stick, the fantasy-comedy webcomic that everyone agrees gets longer with each book released! In The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed, the Order is on their way north to save the world in style, thanks to their new friends on a cool pirate airship. Little do they suspect that while they deal with monsters and the usual plot stuff, one of their own is facing a battle inside their own mind! (It's Durkon, obviously.) And when the gods themselves start taking a closer interest in Roy's band of misfit heroes, this action-packed adventure ends up having repercussions so big, we couldn't fit them on the page! With almost five years of comics, this 352-page mammoth collection is our longest book yet (not counting the previous one). Here's what you'll find inside:

• All of the comics from #947 to, uh, the end of this story arc!
  • More than 10 all-new bonus comics here and there throughout the adventure!
  • A recap of events to-date by "Durkon Thundershield." (wink, wink!)
  • Foreword by Haley Starshine!
  • A never-before-seen map of the Northern Continent!
  • Nine or so pages of navel-gazing author commentary!
  • A new moderately improved art style that makes some things look better and others worse!
  • Probably some other stuff!

It's the biggest adventure ever to take place largely inside a dwarven cleric's subconscious! We think. We didn't exactly do any research on that claim. Anyway, order today!

quote:

OOTS 2020 Spell Calendar
Do you feel the magic in the air? No, you're not having a stroke—it's our seventh annual The Order of the Stick calendar! And this year, it's all about the esoteric mysteries of the magical arts. Each month showcases some of your favorite OOTS spellcasters summoning powers from beyond in an attractive 12" by 12" image, and then wisecracking about it on the page below. (Technically, only the clerics crack wise—wizards crack intelligent.) Marking time on the path to our inevitable fate as potential raw materials for a 3rd-level necromancy spell has never been so much fun!

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 29, 2019

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
GENIUS, although presumably there was a greater plan than that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah I'm guessing the ray of light wasn't the plan.

Hey, does the forcefield cover the roof hole? Is it a wall or a bubble?

And anything from the sky that can break dominate?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 29, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They got this, just pull out a big harp like Medli in the wind waker. Reflecting sunlight isn't illegal.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Hammer returns and knocks out rest of ceiling is my bet

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
The real fun will be to see who the hammer hits when it returns.

Edit vvvvvv oooh, even better

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Yeah I'm guessing the ray of light wasn't the plan.

Hey, does the forcefield cover the roof hole? Is it a wall or a bubble?

And anything from the sky that can break dominate?
My guess: the whole ceiling is going to break open. His father knew how to make ceiling collapse.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I wonder if reflecting sunlight from some sort of polished surface at a vampire would count as an attack.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Tenebrais posted:

I wonder if reflecting sunlight from some sort of polished surface at a vampire would count as an attack.
"Just checking my watch, oops"

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
It'd be very on brand for a dnd player if that it was his whole plan.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Man, this is such an unbelievable story at this point. There are a few politicians with a brain. :unsmith:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
"just like pa did" makes it like 90% certain the plan is a cave in

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
thank god roy's eyes glow now or else his last remaining asset to the team (knowledge: architecture) would have been outdone by a caster too

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The ceiling is gonna collapse, yeah. I expect Roy's knowledge:architecture to come into play. Possible a ray->Roy pun.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That's a hit right in the middle of the dome, which is the part that makes it stable. It's just like the keystone in an arch, but 3D. That ceiling is coming down in short order.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Venuz Patrol posted:

thank god roy's eyes glow now or else his last remaining asset to the team (knowledge: architecture) would have been outdone by a caster too

A dwarf obviously has a untrained racial bonus to knowledge architecture!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Raenir Salazar posted:

A dwarf obviously has a untrained racial bonus to knowledge architecture!

They do.

quote:

Stonecunning: This ability grants a dwarf a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps, new construction (even when built to match the old), unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings, and the like. Something that isn’t stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a Search check as if he were actively searching, and a dwarf can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A dwarf can also intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Also, new book announcement: Book 6: Utterly Dwarfed

Eh I thought about preordering it, but for some reason $70 shipping cost to Europe made me reconsider.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I just realized this is almost word for word the ability of Hive Worlders in Dark Heresy. Just replace "caves and stone" with "space Kowloon"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ultrafilter posted:

That's a hit right in the middle of the dome, which is the part that makes it stable. It's just like the keystone in an arch, but 3D. That ceiling is coming down in short order.
Yeah, I love the little details like that that Rich works in.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

if the field isn't covered, V can fly over and cast a dispel through the hole maybe

somewhere a nerd is very mad at me with regard to spell ranges

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

mmkay posted:

Eh I thought about preordering it, but for some reason $70 shipping cost to Europe made me reconsider.

If its anything like the other books, amazon will have it for a decent price later on. I have all the OotS books and the only one I ordered from america was the Dragon one and shipping was very expensive on it.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

ultrafilter posted:

This just goes to show how lovely the vampire spirit inhabiting the Exarch is, frankly. If it had done its job properly, it would have realized exactly what was going on, because I guarantee the Exarch had some pretty impressive Architecture knowledge ranks.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I mean, the Exarch is probably putting up one hell of a fight in the vampire's mind, given the stakes.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Well, yeah, I just wanted to extra-shittalk the spirit itself, too. It's constantly mocking the Exarch for being unimaginative and literal-minded and boring, and if it gets toasted because he managed to lull it into a false sense of architectural security, it'll be the icing on the cake.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

EimiYoshikawa posted:

This just goes to show how lovely the vampire spirit inhabiting the Exarch is, frankly. If it had done its job properly, it would have realized exactly what was going on, because I guarantee the Exarch had some pretty impressive Architecture knowledge ranks.

:reject: To give him credit, it's probably only been a couple of rounds, and he went from being burned alive to having the strongest opposing force (Durkon) be completely neutralized. It's not a whole lot of time for someone to go "oh hey that hole in the ceiling is probably bad."

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

mmkay posted:

Yeah, Ookadook's shipping sucks. Even in the U.S. it's $15, making it a $50 purchase.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Shugojin posted:

if the field isn't covered, V can fly over and cast a dispel through the hole maybe

somewhere a nerd is very mad at me with regard to spell ranges

Is it necessary for V to dispel them if/when the hall collapses?

-What if there are obscure Dwarven by-laws that makes the voting null and void without the room? Ergo, the plot is moot because in short order V or someone will be by to dispel them. i.e the whole point is buying time, not giving V a means to get in.

-Maybe the mere fact of the collapse is enough to give them a will save because the domination might infringe on their survival instincts to leave the room. The Vampire tells them to stay (and die) this should prompt a will save if normally they would leave, since I imagine Dwarves maybe don't like collapsed tunnels much.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Collapsing the ceiling also might just bathe the entire area in sunlight, providing nowhere for the vampires to go.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

mmkay posted:

They normally show up on Amazon within a day or so of release. Not sure why these small publishers have such insane shipping costs; it’s the same for Kobold Press and their d&d release. $45 shipping if you preorder, free from amazon if you don’t mind waiting a little while.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Also dead dwarves don't vote.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Watch as the ceiling collapses, all of the vampires die... And then it turns out that by some obscure bylaws, there’s no taking back the votes, mind control or no.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Eifert Posting posted:

Also dead dwarves don't vote.
Are we sure though? They have already cast their vote, so if they die it may not matter.

Plus, I've seen enough vote tampering to know that the dead DO vote! (The Simpsons did it first: Snowball I)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Gonna predict that all of the votes cast will not be able to be changed back once the voters break domination.

And it's gonna come down to another split vote dependent on convincing that one nerd that saving the world is the right thing to do.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So Durkon being turned to stone is something that can be reversed, right :ohdear:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

So Durkon being turned to stone is something that can be reversed, right :ohdear:

This seems like the sort of thing a decent cleric would be able to do? Petrification isn't a super obscure effect.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Unlucky7 posted:

Yeah, Haley got petrified that one time and she was restored right after by casting Break Enchantment. (Same thing happened to Celia way back in the first dungeon, too.)

There's also Stone to Flesh, which is an amazing spell, because it was made to reverse petrification, but it works on any kind of stone.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Unlucky7 posted:

It goes away after the meeting is adjourned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It goes away after the meeting is adjourned.

FORMALLY adjourned

everyone running away is not a formal adjournment