Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shrecknet posted:

I will cop to getting angrier and angrier at scene after scene of endless driving/walking where nothing happened, or if it did it took ten minutes to do what should have taken 2 when there's no threat or conflict to ScarJo because every Scotsman willingly just follows a random girl into a spooky house because they're ruled by their dicks.

Are you saying that you wouldn't follow ScarJo into a spooky house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I sat through midsommar and blade runner 2049 without so much as a drop in my pants

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My eyes did pee a little in blade runner tho

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Shrecknet posted:

I will cop to getting angrier and angrier at scene after scene of endless driving/walking where nothing happened, or if it did it took ten minutes to do what should have taken 2 when there's no threat or conflict to ScarJo because every Scotsman willingly just follows a random girl into a spooky house because they're ruled by their dicks.

I get the arc, it just was so so so slow-paced and we're given absolutely nothing to the characters other than "ScarJo evil huntress, dudes horny" for over an hour. The complete lack of meaningful dialog for the entire movie is an artistic choice that I absolutely hated.

It's a very slow pace, no argument there. I can understand that kind of pace not being for everyone.

Personally though I was engrossed by that first hour, before you even get to the real changes that her character goes through. You're basically presented with a mystery. Why is she approaching these men? What is she doing with them? And the scenes are meticulously constructed so that you find out a little bit more each time. At first when she gets a guy in the car it just cuts away, the guy is never seen or heard from again. It builds to that moment where you finally do get to follow the guy all the way to the final destination, which is absolutely horrific.

From there you get all the stuff with her developing as a character and maybe even as a human being, and there's a very clear character arc from that point. So to say that it's just a mood piece with no narrative or story is just inaccurate.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Pomp posted:

My eyes did pee a little in blade runner tho

I feel you my friend

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Iron Crowned posted:

I'd drag my balls through a mile of broken glass if she invited me into a house to gently caress.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Iron Crowned posted:

I would, even knowing full well the consequences.

It'd be worth it.

I loved Under the Skin, but it's not a movie that I can view again and again because it really does prioritize style over substance.

But the style is really, really good. You're shown an alien being working the problem of how to feed on human beings, you are told exactly nothing.

It's like a hosed up nature documentary, showing the predator and prey play a game that plucks random Johns from the street.

It's a scenario we've all entertained and seen before, the mysterious hitchhiker, but it's expressed in a day-in-the-life of a completely alien being that's fresh and novel.

It really depends on the audience to figure out and spitball the exposition, but I dig a film that has the confidence to leave a little (to a lot) to the imagination.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I can hold pee for a 3 hour movie if I don’t drink anything during it. If I have a sparking water, I’m going to pee like 2 times. If have 2+ beers, forget about it, might as well just stay in the bathroom.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The problem with beer in a theater is that always intend to space it out but I end up drinking it all during the 30 minutes of commercials and trailers because I’m bored.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Under the Skin is one of the most perfect scifi-horrors ever made you weirdos.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's really drat good, I loved it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

weekly font posted:

Under the Skin is the most perfect scifi-horror ever made you weirdos.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think I’d probably like under the skin a lot more if I watched it again right now. But I dunno.

It was not the film I wanted nor was into when it came out.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I"m definitely getting the urge to watch Under the Skin again. It's not a movie for summer though, it's a movie for a cloudy fall day with a crisp breeze.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Shrecknet posted:

What I want to talk about is the idea of "mood pieces," and what anyone sees in them. Like, I get what they are, what I don't understand is why they exist. They're essentially really elaborate screen-savers or like those DVDs of fish aquariums. They serve no narrative purpose, and to me film/cinema is a narrative medium. Like, a book that was just endless descriptions of a beautiful flower-filled field would be horrible, because you need some sort of story. Any story will do, make the story about a bee flying from flower to flower getting more pollen and then having too much pollen to make it back to the hive, I don't care. But you have to give me something or I just cannot get into it. I don't think it's pretentious, I think it's unfinished. Am I way off base?

The idea that films is purely a narrative medium is so strange to me. Do you think works like Man With a Movie Camera or Koyaanisqatsi are completely meaningless? That no one could derive pleasure from Meshes of the Afternoon or Last Year in Marienbad?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

weekly font posted:

I have Under the Skin on my 2010's Letterboxd list as the #6 best horror film of the decade. I need to update it though and put Mandy on there.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Shrecknet posted:

I get the arc, it just was so so so slow-paced and we're given absolutely nothing to the characters other than "ScarJo evil huntress, dudes horny" for over an hour. The complete lack of meaningful dialog for the entire movie is an artistic choice that I absolutely hated.

I just couldn't find any conflict at all in the first hour. She cruises for single men, captures them, and that's it. There's never any threat or challenge, nothing is learned about her character, none of the men matter or resist in any way, she just plans to seduce them and then effortlessly does. Hooray. This is well worth over an hour of runtime.

May your realisation of how much of a massive dork you're being about this movie come to you quicker than it ever did to me on countless other cool movies.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Under the Skin might be the best sci fi movie ever tbh

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

I have Under the Skin on my 2010's Letterboxd list as the #6 best horror film of the decade. I need to update it though and put Mandy on there.

Link to this list please

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

COOL CORN posted:

Link to this list please

https://www.letterboxd.com/basebf555/list/best-horror-of-the-2010s/

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I feel like I"m alone in not liking It Follows

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

Well there's a difference between liking it, which I think most people here do, and putting it as #1 of the decade. Opinions change over time though, looking at the list now I can say there's a few near the top that I'd probably slide down a few spots and also a few in the middle of the pack that I've rewatched and like even more now than when I made the list.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

weekly font posted:

fine, fine, I, a pos(t)er who tends to love style and atmosphere in horror movies, will finally watch this "stylistic" "atmospheric" "movie" with "Scarlett Johannson"

hey, it's on Netflix, that's neat

Iron Crowned posted:

I first watched it back in October for the Challenge thread and I really, really did not like it. Not to the point of hating it; if someone likes it, I get it, but the atmosphere never clicked with me

It doesn't help that I watched it right before Jennifer's Body, which I loved, so it suffers due to the largely unfair comparison (they both have fights in a pool, which is the entire reason I watched 'em the same day)

e:

because it always seems my opinions on It Follows are when basebf555 is talking about liking it and I don't want to seem like I'm pouncing on them when their posts are usually somewhere between agreeable and keen, I'll say that their 8/9/10 of The Ritual -> You're Next -> As Above, So Below is :kiss: and I could rewatch any of those most nights of the week

Adlai Stevenson fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 29, 2019

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

So I recently watched Under the Skin; here's my letterboxed review:
What I want to talk about is the idea of "mood pieces," and what anyone sees in them. Like, I get what they are, what I don't understand is why they exist. They're essentially really elaborate screen-savers or like those DVDs of fish aquariums. They serve no narrative purpose, and to me film/cinema is a narrative medium. Like, a book that was just endless descriptions of a beautiful flower-filled field would be horrible, because you need some sort of story. Any story will do, make the story about a bee flying from flower to flower getting more pollen and then having too much pollen to make it back to the hive, I don't care. But you have to give me something or I just cannot get into it. I don't think it's pretentious, I think it's unfinished. Am I way off base?

This is the worst post I’ve seen in CD. Congrats!

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

That is a beautiful, and sensible list.

But for the life of me I cannot figure out what Crimson Peak is doing there.

Is it like a participation grade sort of thing, because it's been the only real attempt at grand-gothic horror in the last few decades?

As much as I sincerely wanted to enjoy and become immersed in the movie, it just felt like a hollow spectacle ala the last few decades of Tim Burton. The set pieces were cool, some shots memorable, but the story was paper thin, full of tropes and engaged very little.

Pan's Labyrinth, on the other hand, is a loving masterwork.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

sponges posted:

This is the worst post I’ve seen in CD. Congrats!

I think it's a fairly reasonable opinion I just don't agree that it applies to Under the Skin.

Adlai Stevenson posted:

fine, fine, I, a pos(t)er who tends to love style and atmosphere in horror movies, will finally watch this "stylistic" "atmospheric" "movie" with "Scarlett Johannson"

I was trying to broaden my roommate's horizons a little bit and he usually doesn't like slower, more atmospheric films so I sold him on Under the Skin by telling him that Scarlett Johannson gets naked in it. He seemed interested but then I came back the next day and asked if he wanted to watch the movie and he told me he'd just looked up all the nude scenes on youtube so he didn't need to watch it lol

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Adlai Stevenson posted:

because it always seems my opinions on It Follows are when basebf555 is talking about liking it and I don't want to seem like I'm pouncing on them when their posts are usually somewhere between agreeable and keen, I'll say that their 8/9/10 of The Ritual -> You're Next -> As Above, So Below is :kiss: and I could rewatch any of those most nights of the week

I haven't seen As Above, So Below yet, but every time I see The Ritual on the Netflix feed, I think about watching it again.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
I love Under the Skin, As Above So Below, and It Follows.

Anyway for all you baby bladder people, download Runpee. Let’s you know the best times to dip out to pee, tells you what happens while you’re there.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Lords of Salem being #2 of the last decade is a bold statement and might actually get me to watch it finally.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

Lords of Salem being #2 of the last decade is a bold statement and might actually get me to watch it finally.

I'm a gargantuan Rob Zombie nut so I'm biased but it's one of my favorite movies of all time and probably his best after Rejects and Halloween II. It's a beautiful movie, and Sheri Moon does a fantastic job in the lead.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Iron Crowned posted:

I haven't seen As Above, So Below yet, but every time I see The Ritual on the Netflix feed, I think about watching it again.

If you have that kind of reaction to The Ritual then there's a real solid chance that As Above, So Below is in your wheelhouse

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Null of Undefined posted:

Anyway for all you baby bladder people, download Runpee. Let’s you know the best times to dip out to pee, tells you what happens while you’re there.

Holy poo poo, you didn't just make that app up :psyduck:

Kvlt! posted:

I'm a gargantuan Rob Zombie nut so I'm biased but it's one of my favorite movies of all time and probably his best after Rejects and Halloween II. It's a beautiful movie, and Sheri Moon does a fantastic job in the lead.

I'm like the opposite of a Rob Zombie nut. I really can't get into his movies.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I've only seen 41% of the films on this list so I have some homework to do, but for me The VVitch would be at the top.

I just watched As Above, So Below for the first time the other day and thought it was just okay. I love occult poo poo so I thought it would totally be my thing, but it just never really felt scary to me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

But for the life of me I cannot figure out what Crimson Peak is doing there.

Is it like a participation grade sort of thing, because it's been the only real attempt at grand-gothic horror in the last few decades?

Kinda, yea. I love gothic horror and Crimson Peak is the kind of movie I can watch on mute, the visuals are enough all on their own. But I'm sure if there were 10 other legit gothic horror films this decade it might not seem as good to me in comparison.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I really want to watch Crimson Peak again, I loved the visuals so god drat much.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Is it too much to ask to have a modern take on an old gothic Hammer Horror movie? You could even do one of the non-licensed things like Plague of the Zombies (god what a fuckin' good movie)

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah I can't remember the last movie I saw that had cemeteries and cobwebbed crypts, a horse drawn carriage traversing dark woods, a dim tavern in an old foggy village, an ancient abandoned castle in the mountains, etc. I tried to watch Crimson Peak and its bombastic overstylized spookhouse stuff just wasn't scratching that itch at all.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Giallo Title Generator

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Pomp posted:

I sat through midsommar and blade runner 2049 without so much as a drop in my pants

I can't remember anything that happened in the last 30 minutes of blade runner because i desperately needed a piss and because it was plot wrap-up time, i didn't want to risk missing the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kin posted:

I can't remember anything that happened in the last 30 minutes of blade runner because i desperately needed a piss and because it was plot wrap-up time, i didn't want to risk missing the ending.

I can't remember the last 30 minutes because I dozed off