Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

canepazzo posted:

How do I effectively push towards an ethic? I'm trying to switch to authoritarian, ethic is at 16% support, I'm supporting faction, the expected amount is 22% but it just won't budge (years gone already). Any trick I'm not aware of?

Gort posted:

Yeah, I haven't been able to do this either. I dunno if the mechanic is busted or just glacially slow.
I think its busted. My empire is Authoritarian, Spiritualist, Xenophobe. I have 366 pops eligible to be in a faction. My faction numbers go as follows:
Authoritarian: 110
Xenophobe: 106
Spiritualist: 49
Egalitarian: 80
Militarist: 21

I have the following Ethics attraction modifiers:
  • Conformists (30% Governing Ethics attraction)
  • One Vision (50% Governing Ethics attraction)
  • "The Greater Good" option in the Harmony tradition tree (25% Governing Ethics attraction)
  • "Information Quarantine" edict going constantly (Governing Ethics attraction +50%)
  • "Fear Campaign" edict going constantly (Xenophobe attraction +25%)
  • Holotemple on every planet (15% Spiritualist attraction)
  • Deep Space Black Site (+25% Governing Ethics attraction) in each of my most populated systems (one system has two planets and like 80 pops, my homeworld has 60, another two systems each have 50, ect)
  • Repressing Egalitarian faction
  • Promoting Spiritualist faction

Despite alllllll of that the Egalitarian faction continues to grow faster than any of the rest, and I hate it.

edit: One Vision was my first Ascension pick. I started "Information Quarantine" a little before I got my first xeno slaves. "The Greater Good" was the 7th Tradition pick I took (I am Unity heavy so it was easy to take it early).

edit2: I bet one of my problems is that the Egalitarian attraction due to having slaves doesnt look at if the slaves are Xenos or not so it fucks up the math somehow

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I think its busted. My empire is Authoritarian, Spiritualist, Xenophobe. I have 366 pops eligible to be in a faction. My faction numbers go as follows:
Authoritarian: 110
Xenophobe: 106
Spiritualist: 49
Egalitarian: 80
Militarist: 21

I have the following Ethics attraction modifiers:
  • Conformists (30% Governing Ethics attraction)
  • One Vision (50% Governing Ethics attraction)
  • "The Greater Good" option in the Harmony tradition tree (25% Governing Ethics attraction)
  • "Information Quarantine" edict going constantly (Governing Ethics attraction +50%)
  • "Fear Campaign" edict going constantly (Xenophobe attraction +25%)
  • Holotemple on every planet (15% Spiritualist attraction)
  • Deep Space Black Site (+25% Governing Ethics attraction) in each of my most populated systems (one system has two planets and like 80 pops, my homeworld has 60, another two systems each have 50, ect)
  • Repressing Egalitarian faction
  • Promoting Spiritualist faction

Despite alllllll of that the Egalitarian faction continues to grow faster than any of the rest, and I hate it.

edit: One Vision was my first Ascension pick. I started "Information Quarantine" a little before I got my first xeno slaves. "The Greater Good" was the 7th Tradition pick I took (I am Unity heavy so it was easy to take it early).

edit2: I bet one of my problems is that the Egalitarian attraction due to having slaves doesnt look at if the slaves are Xenos or not so it fucks up the math somehow
Your slaves and lower classes are miserable and want a more equal society. You have two options:
1) Make them happier and they will cheer up and stop campaigning for "rights" and "equality" and "food" and move on to some other ethic
2) Further disenfranchise them so they have even less political influence

canepazzo posted:

How do I effectively push towards an ethic? I'm trying to switch to authoritarian, ethic is at 16% support, I'm supporting faction, the expected amount is 22% but it just won't budge (years gone already). Any trick I'm not aware of?
Make some happy slaves

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Nosfereefer posted:

Okay, so how many of us call our DE "Killbots"?

Because that was the first empire I designed with the machine dlc, and I've spawned them in every game since.

e: there should be some hidden mechanic of sending enough waves of corvettes to reach their kill limit imho

Very technically I named them KILLBOTS

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Splicer posted:

Your slaves and lower classes are miserable and want a more equal society. You have two options:
1) Make them happier and they will cheer up and stop campaigning for "rights" and "equality" and "food" and move on to some other ethic
My slaves have zero political power - the pop number in my post you quoted is my primary species only. Here is a screenshot of how it currently stands:

Crwban is my primary species. They are set to Stratified Economy.

So yeah I could probably make my ~100 or so slaves a bit happier but I dont see what else I could do to get my primary species to not all go Egalitarian. It doesnt help that I dont understand how ethics drift works anymore and I didnt find the wiki that helpful. And of course it not explained in the game what-so-ever.

I'm not really trying to gripe - I was just pointing out that I'm sure that its broken considering I have stacked all those Governing Ethics attraction modifiers.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Splicer posted:

Make some happy slaves

3) Realize that true equality is only had when all have nothing. Demolish all consumer goods production and replace with strongholds. Enact martial law.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

My slaves have zero political power - the pop number in my post you quoted is my primary species only. Here is a screenshot of how it currently stands:

Crwban is my primary species. They are set to Stratified Economy.

So yeah I could probably make my ~100 or so slaves a bit happier but I dont see what else I could do to get my primary species to not all go Egalitarian. It doesnt help that I dont understand how ethics drift works anymore and I didnt find the wiki that helpful. And of course it not explained in the game what-so-ever.

I'm not really trying to gripe - I was just pointing out that I'm sure that its broken considering I have stacked all those Governing Ethics attraction modifiers.

There are some bits of the wiki that point to why:

- You have slaves, who increase the egal attraction for non-slaves, regardless of species
- Any diplomatic relations with egal empires gives attraction too. Do you have any of those?

Edit: on the first bullet above, this only applies when the slaves are on the same planet as the non-slaves. If you ship all your slaves to a single world, you should eliminate a lot of the egal attraction. And this makes sense: it's a lot easier for your species to enjoy the ultrasneakers produced by the child-slaves of Desh-La-Bang 7 if they never have to actually see them.

Aethernet fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 28, 2019

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

canepazzo posted:

Have a look at the relevant page on the wiki. Things you can try include:

- Switching to Imperial government type
- Taking the Encourage Political Thought edict
- Engineering your pops to be decadent, if you have the relevant perk
- Enslaving xenos, or ideally a subspecies of your main species you've engineered to be good slave stock.

On the last point, as above, keep your slaves away from your citizens to avoid sympathy developing.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Aethernet posted:

There are some bits of the wiki that point to why:

- You have slaves, who increase the egal attraction for non-slaves, regardless of species
- Any diplomatic relations with egal empires gives attraction too. Do you have any of those?

Edit: on the first bullet above, this only applies when the slaves are on the same planet as the non-slaves. If you ship all your slaves to a single world, you should eliminate a lot of the egal attraction. And this makes sense: it's a lot easier for your species to enjoy the ultrasneakers produced by the child-slaves of Desh-La-Bang 7 if they never have to actually see them.
Thank you for the additional info - I was aware of the slaves increasing egal attraction but did not think about the slaves being on the same planet would be the trigger, though it makes total sense now that I know its a thing.

My gripe here is that I am stacking every, single, possible, modifier to stack Governing Ethics attraction (including being an imperial government type) and it means nothing. There is no point, because I still have 1/5 of my pops going egal despite stacking pbbbtt... 155% Governing Ethics Attraction, plus bonuses for specific types I want them to have plus repressing the faction and encouraging a different faction.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Apparently pops just very rarely ever change their ethics, and most influences are only able effect what ethic a pop adopts when it is fully grown. I've been meaning to give this mod a whirl, to see what the game's like with actual ethics shifting.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Thank you for the additional info - I was aware of the slaves increasing egal attraction but did not think about the slaves being on the same planet would be the trigger, though it makes total sense now that I know its a thing.

My gripe here is that I am stacking every, single, possible, modifier to stack Governing Ethics attraction (including being an imperial government type) and it means nothing. There is no point, because I still have 1/5 of my pops going egal despite stacking pbbbtt... 155% Governing Ethics Attraction, plus bonuses for specific types I want them to have plus repressing the faction and encouraging a different faction.

Ethics attraction is a multiplier that applies to the rate of attraction to that ethic, so if your auth attraction is 2, it'll be 5. This doesn't eliminate the rate of attraction to egal, however, just increases the rate of auth. You need to eliminate sources of egal to eliminate it in your empire entirely.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Anyone ever have the problem where Stellaris always freezes at the 30% game loading mark? Tried rebooting, no mods, waiting 15+ minutes, and delete/reinstall. This is the first time I've played since the new patch. I found some old threads where people were talking about problems with certain mouse drivers but I don't have one of those and haven't changed my mouse.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Do a full uninstall/delete folder/reinstall, turn off all your mods, and clear out your documents\paradox\stellaris\mods folder if applicable, and try running it from the executable instead of steam

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really wish they would do something better with the three ascension paths. Anything to not have to deal with this loving bullshit rng lol unlucky 10000 times in a row haha faaaaart. No way to know if I'm even eligible to roll it. Have to look up a wiki to find what the requirements even are. The tech ascension perk increases the rare tech chance by +50% which, what, raises it from 0.01% to a staggering 0.015%?

Just add an event or something after x amount of time or shortly after unlocking the second ascension slot. Something like blabla our society is changing blabla which path should we take towards the future?
A. Only by unlocking the mysteries of our minds and souls can we guide our people forward. (gives the tech option for psionics)
B. We will find survival in computers and robotics. (gives tech option for synths, and robots if not researched)
C. Perfecting our bodies by any means will ensure our legacy forever. (gives tech option for gene modifying or whatever it's called and same as above)

Nice and simple, no spending year after year after year trying to luck into the draws. Or spending endless thousands of energy trying to luck into a particular type of scientist to increase the odds. Of course you should still be able to draw those techs the normal annoying way and only the perk unlocked techs should be unavailable. No more of this we have just discovered telepathic capabilities and- oh our entire population just transcended because we had 3-4 unity trees filled out already beep boop.
:argh: :qq:

Are the digging sites added to the game in the beta test patch? I haven't seen anything at all. Just the first league being a relic world instead of the city planet thing.

Poil fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 29, 2019

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Poil posted:

Are the digging sites added to the game in the beta test patch? I haven't seen anything at all. Just the first league being a relic world instead of the city planet thing.

Do you not have Ancient Relics? The Archaeology system is part of the base game now, I think, but all the actual content is part of the DLC. There's mods which add archaeology sites if you want to try it out.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I kinda wish they had a bio version of the psionic ascension where you could give your ships biodrives and poo poo. Let me create horrifying flesh ships!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I finally rolled psionic theory, by putting "techupdate" into the console eleven(!) times.

Vavrek posted:

Do you not have Ancient Relics? The Archaeology system is part of the base game now, I think, but all the actual content is part of the DLC. There's mods which add archaeology sites if you want to try it out.
Oh, right. I haven't bought that yet oops. Thanks. :downs:

I assume I have to start a new game?

Grapplejack posted:

I kinda wish they had a bio version of the psionic ascension where you could give your ships biodrives and poo poo. Let me create horrifying flesh ships!
Yes! Yes! Yes!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'd try to think of one for synth-ascension civs but they're already insanely strong, they don't need extra help.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Poil posted:

I really wish they would do something better with the three ascension paths. Anything to not have to deal with this loving bullshit rng lol unlucky 10000 times in a row haha faaaaart. No way to know if I'm even eligible to roll it. Have to look up a wiki to find what the requirements even are. The tech ascension perk increases the rare tech chance by +50% which, what, raises it from 0.01% to a staggering 0.015%?

Just add an event or something after x amount of time or shortly after unlocking the second ascension slot. Something like blabla our society is changing blabla which path should we take towards the future?
A. Only by unlocking the mysteries of our minds and souls can we guide our people forward. (gives the tech option for psionics)
B. We will find survival in computers and robotics. (gives tech option for synths, and robots if not researched)
C. Perfecting our bodies by any means will ensure our legacy forever. (gives tech option for gene modifying or whatever it's called and same as above)

Nice and simple, no spending year after year after year trying to luck into the draws. Or spending endless thousands of energy trying to luck into a particular type of scientist to increase the odds. Of course you should still be able to draw those techs the normal annoying way and only the perk unlocked techs should be unavailable. No more of this we have just discovered telepathic capabilities and- oh our entire population just transcended because we had 3-4 unity trees filled out already beep boop.
:argh: :qq:

Ignoring the obvious "complete research revamp", let people take perks you don't meet the prereqs for at which point their prereqs get added to your fixed research list with a glowy background

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Poil posted:

I assume I have to start a new game?
I mean, probably? It seems like something that's assigned on galaxy generation. I've never experimented with adding/removing DLC or large mods mid-game.

Grapplejack posted:

It takes the concept a step farther, but have you seen Guilli's Bioform hive mind mod? Food becomes the dominant resource used for building pretty much everything.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Grapplejack posted:

I wish the picnic ascension let you build psychic ships.

I see the autocorrect fuckup and I refuse to fix it.

Grapplejack posted:

I'd try to think of one for synth-ascension civs but they're already insanely strong, they don't need extra help.
Sapient AI computers pretty much covers it thematically, some of them are now uploads of your populace TA style. Maybe give ships bonus XP on construction if they have a sapient AI core.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Splicer posted:

Do a full uninstall/delete folder/reinstall, turn off all your mods, and clear out your documents\paradox\stellaris\mods folder if applicable, and try running it from the executable instead of steam

Tried all of that, tried exe with run as admin, still freezes at 30%. Found an official note that suggested unplugging any controllers but I don't have any plugged in and pulling all my devices didn't help. I'm stumped.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Splicer posted:

I see the autocorrect fuckup and I refuse to fix it.

BRB making a race of barbaric despoilers themed around yogi bear and his love of stealing picnic baskets

e: barbearic despoilers

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Shugojin posted:

e: barbearic despoilers
Well now it's mandatory

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Splicer posted:

The YOGI class Colossus will lead us to satiation and victory! We shall feast on their bioships.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Anyone had a situation where an enemy fleet is unfightable? They'll shoot my ships, but my ships won't shoot back, and it's like my fleet hasn't "entered combat" with them (IE: No warning sound for combat, the fleet doesn't go into combat formation etc)

Robo-Slap
Jun 5, 2011

Gort posted:

Anyone had a situation where an enemy fleet is unfightable? They'll shoot my ships, but my ships won't shoot back, and it's like my fleet hasn't "entered combat" with them (IE: No warning sound for combat, the fleet doesn't go into combat formation etc)

Yeah that's a bug with a recent patch. Just save and reload.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Robo-Slap posted:

Cool. Thanks

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gort posted:

Cool. Thanks
You can trigger it yourself for your fleets too. Unless they only patched out that bit, or if it's two separate bugs.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Robo-Slap posted:

I fixed it by moving the bugged fleet out of combat and moving everything into a new fleet.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

I had that bug and by the time I realised they weren't shooting back it was too late and I had to start a new game as it decided to bug out at the worst possible time

rip that game you would have been fun to play

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Anyone having trouble with orbital bombardment? I'm playing as Fanatic Purifiers and the planet I'm glassing stops at 27% devastation every time. Each time I break my fleet off and re-target the planet they just sit there.

Edit: NVM, Clicking the bombardment stance button a few times fixed it.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 29, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

Create those flying squid ships with your bioengineering.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Up until getting re-distracted by Rimworld I had been on a big acheesement streak by setting up games to just get them out of the way so I can go back to full modding.

So instead of a KILLBOT species to fight against (specifically for the colossus bubble achievement), I made these guys.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

How do I move my trade capital? I built one star fortress with six trade hubs that covers my entire empire, then I downgraded my capital starbase and other trade hubs away 'cause they weren't needed. Now a bunch of my starbases (including the only one with trade hubs) is off the trade network and I don't seem able to reconnect them.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Go to the trade view (one of the widgets in the bottom right), click on the starbase with the red warning in the tracker, and then right-click a destination starbase to set up the trade route. All this clicking is on their map view hexagon icons.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Duodecimal posted:

Go to the trade view (one of the widgets in the bottom right), click on the starbase with the red warning in the tracker, and then right-click a destination starbase to set up the trade route. All this clicking is on their map view hexagon icons.

Nothing happens when I do this. I'm assuming it's a trade capital problem because the tooltips say that trade routes need to be connected to the trade capital and I'm not sure I have one any more.

Gort fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 29, 2019

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

This is a really basic question but I haven't played since planet tiles were a thing and now I've come back to try the more recent DLC and I'm pretty puzzled about the early game. I'm 15 years in and I seem to have run out of things to actually spend my energy and minerals on. I'm expanding as fast as my influence generation will allow and I've built every possible station, and also colonised every reasonable planet then built it up far enough that any more spending will just give me more jobs that I don't have the pops to fill.

Is it now normal to be totally flush with minerals and energy at this point? Are there any sinks that might not be obvious to a returning player from a long time ago?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The sink for minerals is alloys (and other refined materials, but mostly alloys), the sink for energy is fleets, which you need alloys to build. If you're flush in both, build more buildings that convert minerals to more advanced products, probably alloys since I'm guessing you're under building your fleet.

e: Unless you are robots, which are so overpowered that the answer is just 'yes'.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

If you've got loads of anything, sell it for whatever you haven't got enough of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Gort posted:

Nothing happens when I do this. I'm assuming it's a trade capital problem because the tooltips say that trade routes need to be connected to the trade capital and I'm not sure I have one any more.

I don't have the game in front of me so I can't give specifics but your trade capital is wherever you empire capital is. All trade must make it back to your capital in order to be utilized.

To receive the trade you also need to have an upgraded starbase there - it does not need to have any trade related additions to it, it only needs to be there to work.

When you get a starbase that loses access to your trade network you need to manually reset it. You can do this by clicking the Trade button and the clicking on any other starbases nearby or the capital system itself.