Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

I think it's a fairly reasonable opinion I just don't agree that it applies to Under the Skin.

I don’t think such rigid and narrow views of movies and narrative should be tolerated on a film forum.

“I’m glad it failed” :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Iron Crowned posted:

I can't remember the last 30 minutes because I dozed off

Those moments were lost, like piss in the rain.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Origami Dali posted:

Yeah I can't remember the last movie I saw that had cemeteries and cobwebbed crypts, a horse drawn carriage traversing dark woods, a dim tavern in an old foggy village, an ancient abandoned castle in the mountains, etc. I tried to watch Crimson Peak and its bombastic overstylized spookhouse stuff just wasn't scratching that itch at all.

There's a cool marionette segment, "The Mill At Calder's End", in the Minutes past Midnight (2016) anthology film that's exactly that. It doesn't have the camp factor of Hammer, it's more of a wistful Edgar Allan Poe horror, but otherwise it's exactly what you're looking for.

Just bear in mind the rest of the anthology is nothing like that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I've been kinda on a 'let's go through Prime and see what kinda dogshit free horror movies there are' kick and so far found a lot of just boring movies and some bad but genuinely heartfelt tries, but then I found this movie from last year Butterfly Kisses and it's shockingly really good? I don't remember any hype at all for this, did I just totally let it fly under my radar or is it some sleeper cool movie? I fuckin hate food footage but this was a really cool use of it.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Samuel Clemens posted:

The idea that films is purely a narrative medium is so strange to me. Do you think works like Man With a Movie Camera or Koyaanisqatsi are completely meaningless? That no one could derive pleasure from Meshes of the Afternoon or Last Year in Marienbad?

Samsara is one of my favorite movies. And aside from like 2 scenes is phenomenal on acid.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

I've been kinda on a 'let's go through Prime and see what kinda dogshit free horror movies there are' kick and so far found a lot of just boring movies and some bad but genuinely heartfelt tries, but then I found this movie from last year Butterfly Kisses and it's shockingly really good? I don't remember any hype at all for this, did I just totally let it fly under my radar or is it some sleeper cool movie? I fuckin hate food footage but this was a really cool use of it.

The only place I’ve seen it talked about was this thread, or I guess maybe it was the May marathon thread. But yeah, I really enjoyed it as well.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Food footage is my favorite genre

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

Is it too much to ask to have a modern take on an old gothic Hammer Horror movie? You could even do one of the non-licensed things like Plague of the Zombies (god what a fuckin' good movie)
A Cure For Wellness exists and is exactly that. I remember watching it going "this movie was made for exactly me, but also I completely understand why it totally bombed"

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

How old are you? I used to be able to hold my bladder a whole day if need be back in my teens and early 20s, but I'm 31 now and that isn't the case anymore unless I want to be in extreme discomfort. It sucks too because with a nearly 3 hour run time I know I'm going to have to empty the tank before the film and not enjoy poo poo to drink during it so I don't miss anything.

40, but yeah, I don't drink soft drinks at all, so that may have something to do with it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CelticPredator posted:

Food footage is my favorite genre

drat it

though, statistically there has to be a few found footage movies about a killer butcher or something

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Iron Crowned posted:

Holy poo poo, you didn't just make that app up :psyduck:

Haha wish I had, it'd be some nice extra income.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Iron Crowned posted:

I feel like I"m alone in not liking It Follows

I'm not really a fan of it. Soundtrack is great and there's some interesting bits here and there but overall I just kinda thought it was meh.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Shrecknet posted:

A Cure For Wellness exists and is exactly that. I remember watching it going "this movie was made for exactly me, but also I completely understand why it totally bombed"

I wouldn't say "Gothic" but then I remembered the way the film ends. Also, there's a very Hammer-esque interlude in some run down European village.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

not a Hereditary fan huh

COOL CORN posted:

Lords of Salem being #2 of the last decade is a bold statement and might actually get me to watch it finally.

it's top 5 for sure

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it's top 5 for sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5g_gs6nnyo

#2 is right.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

so wait have you watched it since that stream where you just riffed on it while half paying attention or no

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

not a Hereditary fan huh

It definitely needs to be on there but I made that list last year before I'd seen it. Gotta update it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

It definitely needs to be on there but I made that list last year before I'd seen it. Gotta update it.

you got me wanting to make a similar list of my own although at this point i might as well wait til the proper end of the decade

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

so wait have you watched it since that stream where you just riffed on it while half paying attention or no

I have, although I wouldn't qualify the scream streams as paying half-attention or riffing. You don't need to insinuate I watch movies wrong to defend a film you like.

I just don't think it's a good narrative and the characters are underwritten. It's rosemary's baby but a lot less coherent and with the main character never even realizing they're being targeted by a satan. Either re-editing or a rewrite could've made the movie a lot better than it is in its current form, at least for my tastes. But I feel this way about.... basically every Rob Zombie film? They all approach something really good and fumble it, usually through bad writing or music video style trippy sequences that completely break the narrative flow. So it might just be that his movie-making style isn't for me.

Or maybe he needs to stop writing his own scripts.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I have, although I wouldn't qualify the scream streams as paying half-attention or riffing. You don't need to insinuate I watch movies wrong to defend a film you like.

i mean in that case you definitively did watch it wrong, but good on you for giving it a second shot

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I went down a bit of a youtube rabbit hole, watching a bunch of Day Of The Dead BTS documentary clips and analysis (as you do from time-to-time), and it really struck me just how weird and unfortunate it was that Joe Pilato never blew up in a major way. I can't help but wonder how much the lukewarm response to Day (at the time), stifled that. He definitely feels like he could have fit into a character actor rotation alongside guys like Michael Wincott and David Patrick Kelly, but just never found that groove.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There's so many b-movie actors who deserved to be cast in bigger and better things, and even more who just left us too early.

And then there's Sam Worthingtons who keep getting big roles and suck harder than it was previously thought possible.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sam Worthington hasn’t been in a big film since that Clash of the Titans sequel.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Those moments were lost, like piss in the rain.

I'm in loving tear, holy poo poo.

I'm checking out a sneak preview of The Lodge today, I'll do a trip report about the film when I get back. Pretty stoked.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Sam Worthington hasn’t been in a big film since that Clash of the Titans sequel.

I don't know the more recent examples sorry.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
What’s the deal with The Lighthouse? And by that I mean when will I be able to see it?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
It's screening at TIFF so presumably some time after that. I want to see it right the hell now though.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

If Sam Worthington were a t-shirt size, he'd be Extra Medium. He looks like the default CAW 1 in a wrestling video game. Hes diet vanilla.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I was going to say Cameron leading men never blow up because they just serve the movie, but then, Dicaprio ruins that.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Darko posted:

I was going to say Cameron leading men never blow up because they just serve the movie, but then, Dicaprio ruins that.

Also, uhhh.... Schwarzenegger

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

Also, uhhh.... Schwarzenegger

He was the villain in the first, and Michael Bien had more screentime and was the protagonist. Arnold was already established for 2, so I go with Furlong there.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Lurdiak posted:

I just don't think [Lords of Salem] is a good narrative and the characters are underwritten. It's rosemary's baby but a lot less coherent and with the main character never even realizing they're being targeted by a satan. Either re-editing or a rewrite could've made the movie a lot better than it is in its current form, at least for my tastes. But I feel this way about.... basically every Rob Zombie film? They all approach something really good and fumble it, usually through bad writing or music video style trippy sequences that completely break the narrative flow. So it might just be that his movie-making style isn't for me.

Or maybe he needs to stop writing his own scripts.
I’m with this guy and these positive comparisons to his other movies make not want to bother with them (I think LoS is the only one I’ve seen). At least the movie was a reasonable length.

Speaking of ~100 minute movies I (along with three other randos in an otherwise empty theater) watched Crawl yesterday. I feel like it’s the type of movie you wish those direct-to-SyFy movies were. It’s earnest, the effects work, and it’s reasonably entertaining. I don’t think it really stands out though because it’s too preposterous to take totally serious and not preposterous enough to be funny. I think what I disliked the most is how any of the other people that show up are just an excuse for some chomping scenes but they do virtually nothing to change the main characters situation. All those scenes might well have been replaced with a 10 second shot of a lost boat drifting over to the gas station for all the impact it had to the story.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

LesterGroans posted:

It's screening at TIFF so presumably some time after that. I want to see it right the hell now though.

Same. We get Scary Stories in a week, then IT 2, followed by 3 From Hell and I would like to add The Lighthouse in there as well. What a summer!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Darko posted:

He was the villain in the first, and Michael Bien had more screentime and was the protagonist. Arnold was already established for 2, so I go with Furlong there.

He also already had a career going for him, having starred in Conan the Barbarian. Terminator just let him ascend past the usual action movie star into being Arnold

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

He also already had a career going for him, having starred in Conan the Barbarian. Terminator just let him ascend past the usual action movie star into being Arnold

Looking at the posters, Terminator does seem to be the first time where SCHWARZENEGGER was prominently displayed along the top of the poster, then that became the standard through the rest of his career.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Is the Castle Rock series good?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

in parts it's very good. some of the middle episodes in particular are excellent and it ends on a suitably bleak tone.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Neo Rasa posted:

I can’t speak for what other people thought, but I thought it was dreadfully boring. It might pick up later in the season, but I just got bored and quit as it’s a lot of people being passive aggressive to show off there’s tension between them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Looking at the posters, Terminator does seem to be the first time where SCHWARZENEGGER was prominently displayed along the top of the poster, then that became the standard through the rest of his career.

I remember on one of the commentaries he talks about how proud and completely blown away he was when Conan was finished because he was nervous and they were worried about his ability to deliver dialogue and all (and even cut that "there is no spring" monologue he was from the theatrical release for that reason) but he was still getting top billing instead of James Earl Jones and Max von Sydow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

in parts it's very good. some of the middle episodes in particular are excellent and it ends on a suitably bleak tone.

The Senator Giroux posted:

I can’t speak for what other people thought, but I thought it was dreadfully boring. It might pick up later in the season, but I just got bored and quit as it’s a lot of people being passive aggressive to show off there’s tension between them.

Sounds divisive enough that I will definitely check it out.