Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

If I were a tech billionaire I would buy an old Catalina, rebuild the interior into a beautiful classy yacht/living space (there were a few similar conversions made in the 1950s), have it re-engined with turboprops, and spend like six months a year flying from lake to lake around the world. Oh, George Clooney has a place on Lake Como? Well so will I, tomorrow, but today I'm on Lake Geneva.

Hell, you could probably do that on a mere hundred-million-aire level of wealth.

Someday...

It has to be in the Qantas Empire Airways livery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

If I were a tech billionaire I would buy an old Catalina, rebuild the interior into a beautiful classy yacht/living space (there were a few similar conversions made in the 1950s), have it re-engined with turboprops, and spend like six months a year flying from lake to lake around the world. Oh, George Clooney has a place on Lake Como? Well so will I, tomorrow, but today I'm on Lake Geneva.

Hell, you could probably do that on a mere hundred-million-aire level of wealth.

Someday...

:same:

I'd also try to break the biplane speed record (323 MPH) because that seems like something achievable by someone willing to pay Scaled Composites a few million

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

That article is from 2017 so unless there's been some new news recently, I can summarize it here:

- Sergey is building a giant airship in one of the Moffett Field hangars, which Google leased from NASA presumably for this express purpose
- when completed it will supposedly be the largest airship ever constructed
- it is a vanity project; he's doing it to one-up the Saudi princes' luxury megayachts and it is costing him a similar amount ($150 million)
- he claims it will also be used for humanitarian purposes like dropping food packets into disaster zones :jerkbag:
- one of my former students is working on the project and is under huge NDAs but has told me that it doesn't pay very well, especially for the Bay area
- Sergey does not have an airship license or indeed any other type of pilot certificate which is just dumb as hell because what is the point of owning a giant airship if you can't even captain it yourself

It's a flying megayacht. Those Russian oligarchs parked up in Monaco probably couldn't even find the bridge on those things, they have people who have people who do the dirty work of actually operating the things.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

FuturePastNow posted:

:same:

I'd also try to break the biplane speed record (323 MPH) because that seems like something achievable by someone willing to pay Scaled Composites a few million

Yeah but if you let Scaled have their way it'll come out all :pwn:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sagebrush posted:

Someday...

I think I'd go the restomod approach and commission a new CL-415 - or a US-2.

Now I assume the new airship is to be modern, but that "largest aircraft of all time" thing is...wow, he's going for it

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sagebrush posted:

If I were a tech billionaire I would buy an old Catalina, rebuild the interior into a beautiful classy yacht/living space (there were a few similar conversions made in the 1950s), have it re-engined with turboprops, and spend like six months a year flying from lake to lake around the world.

Just stay away from Saudi Arabia.

https://www.messynessychic.com/2014/04/24/all-aboard-the-flying-yacht-circa-1950/

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nebakenezzer posted:

Probably better technically but they both look *way* too utilitarian

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Plus neither of those have the amazing observation blisters on the rear fuselage.

more here https://www.messynessychic.com/2014/04/24/all-aboard-the-flying-yacht-circa-1950/

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Ardeem posted:

If you want (and can afford a flying yacht) go for something classy that already is one.

Sikorsky S-38

Quoting myself because:effort:

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
The Cousteaus had a Catalina they used as a flying research base, too, until it killed one of them.
I have dreams of using a Beriev Be-200 for similar purposes.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nebakenezzer posted:

Now I assume the new airship is to be modern, but that "largest aircraft of all time" thing is...wow, he's going for it

A US-2 is the correct answer. I’d order mine right after I secured a candidate airframe for my B-36 return-to-flight project.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

MrYenko posted:

A US-2 is the correct answer. I’d order mine right after I secured a candidate airframe for my B-36 return-to-flight project.

I'd be very willing to bet the Japanese would be very willing to add waist blisters, for a reasonable fee.

It won't sound like a pair of war era radials though. :911:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Timmy Age 6 posted:

The Cousteaus had a Catalina they used as a flying research base, too, until it killed one of them.

Killed by a detached propeller, I bet that made a mess.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
How has nobody posted the re-engined Do.24?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Totally down with the Catalina idea. Has one ever been a turbine re-engined? Probably not. That Cousteau story could serve as a good reminder not to shift the engines forward, as that would put the propeller radius on an even better pilot-slicing path. Better preserve C of G by spending the saved weight on some well placed creature comforts. "Ah yes, the marble toilet in the nose, hand cut in Carrara that one."

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

How has nobody posted the re-engined Do.24?
good looks but nazi pedigree

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

evil_bunnY posted:

good looks but nazi pedigree

It was actually designed for the Dutch (but later used by the Nazi's indeed, primarily for SAR).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Molentik posted:

It was actually designed for the Dutch (but later used by the Nazi's indeed, primarily for SAR).

Dornier does win for best reg ever put on an amphibian ever:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dornier_Seastar#/media/File:Dornier_Seastar_Wolfgangsee.jpg

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Yes. Google X/Alphabet/whatever owns an Alpha Jet which they use for "research," which means it lives at Moffett and is leased to NASA 350 days a year because an advertising company, even one as scatterbrained as Google, can't actually come up with a business case for a fighter jet. The other two weeks of the year it is being flown around by a hired pilot with Sergey, Larry, or some other rich gently caress in the passenger seat.

Moffett is the most desirable tarmac in the world because of the number of tech billionaires who live nearby, but there is absolutely no-way, no-how, not-ever-going-to-happen, never-ever get permission to lease space there from NASA for any reason whatsoever. NASA could probably double their budget with the amount of money offered to them to park G-VIs there, but they refuse to permit it at all.

...except if you lease NASA an aircraft...

Google is the only company allowed to park their private jets there. I don't think they give a gently caress about the L-39, just so long as it qualifies them for the parking space for their gulfstreams.

Having a parking space at Moffett is how billionaires compare penises. And by that metric, even Gates, Musk (and Jobs when he was alive) are pussies.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 30, 2019

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

It's never been said before

but the Blackjack is...pretty big

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Ultimate rich guy flex would be a civvie B-52.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

holocaust bloopers posted:

Ultimate rich guy flex would be a civvie XB-70.

Ftfy

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Can anyone identify the aircraft in this picture? It looks like a Sabre D, but the nose, canopy, and gear are all wrong. The picture's from a Japanese car nostalgia board, but that's not the JASDF roundel.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Fiat G.91, probably an Italian roundel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_G.91

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Grazie.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Nebakenezzer posted:

Despite being quite Candid about just wanting to share nourishment, the swan angrily chases away the intruder after it approached the nest of baby Backfires too closely

I really wish the Il-76 had a bird nickname but I didn’t find one

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Timmy Age 6 posted:

I have dreams of using a Beriev Be-200 for similar purposes.

That's my dream jet right there. We built a couple BBQ pits for West Coast Customs, they could deck it out party-bus style.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Ultimate rich guy flex would be a civvie B-52.

I always thought a civilian C-17 would be cool, so roomy.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Nebakenezzer posted:

The B-1 is pretty big, too. I think the fighterish shape tricks our brains into thinking it's smaller.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 30, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Captain Postal posted:

Moffett is the most desirable tarmac in the world because of the number of tech billionaires who live nearby, but there is absolutely no-way, no-how, not-ever-going-to-happen, never-ever get permission to lease space there from NASA for any reason whatsoever. NASA could probably double their budget with the amount of money offered to them to park G-VIs there, but they refuse to permit it at all.

...except if you lease NASA an aircraft...

Moffett has has a fully equipped FBO with everything from start carts to cabin cleaning, there's a straightforward online process to request a landing permit, and they publish an extensive schedule of landing and ramp fees. It's true that only Googlers get to park their jet at NUQ, but anyone can land their Gulfstream there for a meeting in the Valley if they call ahead.

Of course, just because of logistics, they can only support operations with corporate jets and larger aircraft. It's certainly not anything about trying to keep out the GA riffraff. It simply isn't possible for us to handle anything smaller than six seats or maintain an Avgas truck, so no, Mr. PPL, we will have to deny your request to do a touch-and-go in your C150. You understand....

excerpt from landing fee schedule:

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

FuturePastNow posted:

The B-1 is pretty big, too. I think the fighterish shape tricks our brains into thinking it's smaller.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, there are no photos I can find of the two aircraft side by side, but the Tu-160 is substantially larger, especially if you look at it from the top down. You're not kidding about the fighterish shape playing tricks. I didn't realize that the Tu-160 was actually longer than the B-52. The thing is enormous.

Source

Side by side 1:72 scale models

Source

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Timmy Age 6 posted:

Perhaps unsurprisingly, there are no photos I can find of the two aircraft side by side, but the Tu-160 is substantially larger, especially if you look at it from the top down. You're not kidding about the fighterish shape playing tricks. I didn't realize that the Tu-160 was actually longer than the B-52. The thing is enormous.

Source

Side by side 1:72 scale models

Source

As shown in that picture theres also the backfire which is bone sized with a similar profile to the blackjack to confuse things further.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Timmy Age 6 posted:

Oh yeah.

Also, on the subject of shapes creating deceptive sizes, the B-52 in photos looks bigger than it is because of its very narrow fuselage and relatively tiny engines. If you're just used to looking at airliners, at least.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Sagebrush posted:

Moffett has has a fully equipped FBO with everything from start carts to cabin cleaning, there's a straightforward online process to request a landing permit, and they publish an extensive schedule of landing and ramp fees. It's true that only Googlers get to park their jet at NUQ, but anyone can land their Gulfstream there for a meeting in the Valley if they call ahead.

Of course, just because of logistics, they can only support operations with corporate jets and larger aircraft. It's certainly not anything about trying to keep out the GA riffraff. It simply isn't possible for us to handle anything smaller than six seats or maintain an Avgas truck, so no, Mr. PPL, we will have to deny your request to do a touch-and-go in your C150. You understand....

excerpt from landing fee schedule:

bing bong just buy an SR22, don't be a poor PPL in a poors only Cessna

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I was flying the pattern the other day in a 152, doing just fine, when a guy in a Cirrus came in and then just after touching down called the tower to make a PIREP for low-level wind shear. The tower asked for info, he reported 10kn loss on short final as he came over the fence, tower goes "uh, alright, that's expected and normal here due to the building beside the runway." :clint:

Many of the instructors at the flight school don't really think much of Cirruses either. One described it as the new Bonanza, for doctors with the money to buy a fancy plane but not the time to learn to fly it well

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

My rich-guy flex would be somehow getting a Boeing 314 built, re-engined with turboprops, and skinned in aluminum vs. the original canvas.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

I was flying the pattern the other day in a 152, doing just fine, when a guy in a Cirrus came in and then just after touching down called the tower to make a PIREP for low-level wind shear. The tower asked for info, he reported 10kn loss on short final as he came over the fence, tower goes "uh, alright, that's expected and normal here due to the building beside the runway." :clint:

Many of the instructors at the flight school don't really think much of Cirruses either. One described it as the new Bonanza, for doctors with the money to buy a fancy plane but not the time to learn to fly it well

Cirrus also used "easy to fly" in their marketing, like this is a capable machine but it doesn't take much work to learn it. General aviation's kiss of death.

Ola fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 30, 2019

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Timmy Age 6 posted:

You're not kidding about the fighterish shape playing tricks. I didn't realize that the Tu-160 was actually longer than the B-52. The thing is enormous.

The 767 is like this in pictures too because it has similar proportions as an A320 or 737.

Normal looking two engine jet:

Until you get a human for scale:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I flew on a United 777 earlier this month. It felt like being in a airplane movie set. Absolutely enormous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

I flew on a United 777 earlier this month. It felt like being in a airplane movie set. Absolutely enormous.

I flew on a BA 777 and it felt tiny after the 747.