Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Memento posted:

Bethesda "accidentally" made the release of one of the old Doom games on switch require internet connectivity and a Bethesda account to play. They're rolling it back, but how the gently caress do you code a complicated online authorisation system and implement it into a ~20 year old game "accidentally" - unless that's a cover for "we were called on our bullshit and are deleting it".

doom is closer to 30 years old lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

lmfao you don't accidentally add UI elements that say "A Bethesda.net account is required to play"

They fully intended to require everyone to make and log in with a bethesda net account for a game made in 1993. They probably figured it would boost registrations and get them more customer data, especially for the Doom fan segments, and it probably did.

e: also the original tweet doesn't at all say that it was unintended or a mistake. They just say that "the login should be optional" and they're working on making it that way

Bought the games on switch before learning about this bs, and I’m on a trip and literally can’t even load the game without being connected to WiFi, it just freezes.

Speaking of Doom, does anyone have a copy of the daily struggle meme with the doom guy trying to choose between rip and tear or tear and rip?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

OSU_Matthew posted:

Bought the games on switch before learning about this bs, and I’m on a trip and literally can’t even load the game without being connected to WiFi, it just freezes.

Speaking of Doom, does anyone have a copy of the daily struggle meme with the doom guy trying to choose between rip and tear or tear and rip?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

You’re the best :swoon:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

OSU_Matthew posted:

Bongo cat on rip button and tear button

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

multi-track drifting

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

food court bailiff posted:

doom is closer to 30 years old lol

Yeah I thought it was a port of Doom 64, not the original. A port of Doom 64 to a modern system would be fuckin' sweet because it's not just Doom II for the N64, it's actually a proper sequel.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

This is Super Humman

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Memento posted:

Yeah I thought it was a port of Doom 64, not the original. A port of Doom 64 to a modern system would be fuckin' sweet because it's not just Doom II for the N64, it's actually a proper sequel.

Got some good news for you:

https://www.pcgamer.com/doom-64-has-been-unexpectedly-rated-for-pc/

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf

Memento posted:

https://doom.fandom.com/wiki/Doom_64_TC

this came out awhile ago, its really well done. The links seem to not work too well but it's worth a play if you can find it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MageMage posted:

I wish I had a grown up me when I was little. It's been nothing but sorrow and pain and fighting and misunderstand.

Without people like you who were strong enough to do it, people like me have had a chance to even discover ourselves

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I love these.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

D&D memes are lovely, thank you. I just sent a bunch of those to me and my siblings' group chat. :3:

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

WrenP-Complete posted:

D&D memes are lovely, thank you. I just sent a bunch of those to me and my siblings' group chat. :3:

Wow, same! I held our chat hostage for like 2 hours in return for a Rod of the Pact for my warlock

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

🎵 minis, chillin in a dungeon
Five feet apart cuz they’re not gay 🎵

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwAajOtfNT8

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL0VA56BRp0

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/ZNg6JpD.mp4

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just kidding D&D meme time

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PlankySmith/status/1137764477405978624?s=19

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

More Ratm memes please

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Infinitum posted:

I love this one

I want to see it in a show somewhere

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Data Graham posted:

I love this one

lol that would be so random

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Lol he could pull out a cheese wheel after and take a big bite haha

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Data Graham posted:

I love this one

Is that the traditional set-up for this? Because in this case one/or both guards lie some of the time.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

CopperHound posted:

Is that the traditional set-up for this? Because in this case one/or both guards lie some of the time.

The whole point is that you only get one question

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

theflyingorc posted:

The whole point is that you only get one question

Yeah, but when the guards are giving out the information, it's automatically broken. Since the liar wouldn't give valid information about the puzzle.

The usual setup is there's a door with a sign telling you you can ask a single question and one is a liar/one is honest

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Guard two is the liar, so by saying 'the other nothing but lies' is a lie if its referring to the other guard, guard one, who in fact tells the truth. Logic is consistant.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I always thought that Dungeons and Dragons was some obscure game from long ago that was basically dead and thrown into movies and books and things as shorthand for turbonerd, but apparently it is thriving enough to have a large meme-making community, so good on them. I’m glad people are out there enjoying something imaginative and nerdy.

Still, I’ve never heard the phrase “Dungeons and Dragons” spoken aloud in real life or discussed by anyone. I don’t get how such an apparently freeform activity would even work in any kind of structured, repeatable manner so it could spread around

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

freeedr posted:

I don’t get how such an apparently freeform activity would even work in any kind of structured, repeatable manner so it could spread around

to be fair, neither do D&D players

and nobody's called it "Dungeons and dragons" except in the news for decades, everyone just calls it D&D or whatever other tabletop game they're playing (e.g. Pathfinder, Shadowrun, etc.)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

freeedr posted:

I always thought that Dungeons and Dragons was some obscure game from long ago that was basically dead and thrown into movies and books and things as shorthand for turbonerd, but apparently it is thriving enough to have a large meme-making community, so good on them. I’m glad people are out there enjoying something imaginative and nerdy.

Still, I’ve never heard the phrase “Dungeons and Dragons” spoken aloud in real life or discussed by anyone. I don’t get how such an apparently freeform activity would even work in any kind of structured, repeatable manner so it could spread around

Stranger Things and Critical Role are really getting high schoolers and young adults into d&d

I run scripted sessions that the game creators write into "modules" -- little campaign books that do world creation for you--each week at a card shop in town. Almost without exception, people playing for the first time heard about it because of stranger things and/or watching critical role

Potato Salad has a new favorite as of 17:06 on Jul 30, 2019

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

freeedr posted:

I don’t get how such an apparently freeform activity would even work in any kind of structured, repeatable manner so it could spread around

It's as if the concept had some sort of memetic qualities

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's also just really fun to play

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'd like to play a game one of these days. One thing that kind of puts me off is, doesn't it take a really long time to calculate the effect of rolls and such? I'm used to D&D-based video games where the computer does that for you.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
just remember: the single most important part of any DnD session is bringing snacks

Phlegmish posted:

I'd like to play a game one of these days. One thing that kind of puts me off is, doesn't it take a really long time to calculate the effect of rolls and such? I'm used to D&D-based video games where the computer does that for you.
5th edition is really streamlined well if you've got a good DM, you typically make a lot less choices during combat than in a typical video game.

It really depends on the DM being good at moving things along and everyone being on the same page.

ie, if someone is just there to throw the adventure off the rails, that's fine as long as everyone is doing it. But if it's 4 people trying to follow the story and 1 guy just trying to kill every NPC who might have a quest for you it sucks.

Also, bring snacks.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

clockwork chaos posted:

Guard two is the liar, so by saying 'the other nothing but lies' is a lie if its referring to the other guard, guard one, who in fact tells the truth. Logic is consistant.

But true if you take it as a sentence. Either way it breaks the riddle since either he must be the liar so there's nothing to figure out with a question, or they're both telling the truth.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

theflyingorc posted:

just remember: the single most important part of any DnD session is bringing snacks SHOWING UP

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Phlegmish posted:

As others have said it largely depends on the DM (both their experience level and their temperament)

Simple, common things like attacking and using spells As They Are Intended are not that time consuming. Doing weird poo poo certainly can be OR the DM can just arbitrarily assign a difficulty to certain activities based on their own experience and feel for things.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Infinitum posted:

How dare you call me out!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH