Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tenebrais posted:

This seems like the sort of thing a decent cleric would be able to do? Petrification isn't a super obscure effect.

Depends on how awful your DM is.

I walked away from a couple year campaign after the DM

1) used our real 6 month break to go "I'm sure at some point in those 6 months you would have failed a will save and had to be euthanized by the party and

2) my replacement psion had his int drained to below the point he could actually cast anything. I asked the clerics at the temple for healing and only got hp healing because "you didn't word it right" he expected me to just go into the final combat with a dagger as my only offense because I didn't tell the clerics what I needed in RP terms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Wise move.

e: also I just remembered IT'S PSTEVE! from the Snips and Snails book and chuckled so ty for that

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 30, 2019

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

There's also Stone to Flesh, which is an amazing spell, because it was made to reverse petrification, but it works on any kind of stone.
So... you could pick up a random rock, cast that and BOOM, a handful of flesh?

WELL, guess you won't go hungry in a cave!
Stone castle? NOT ON MY WATCH! (Necromancer enchanting a flesh castle)
Throwing "rocks" at people. (do they have skin?)

Petrify someone -> tweak their facial features and/or carve runes into them -> Stone to flesh

And now I am wondering if different types of rocks have different flesh taste, such as one is a white meat and one is a red meat. There is probably a dwarven cookbook about it.

I should stop.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Fire Storm posted:

Petrify someone -> tweak their facial features and/or carve runes into them -> Stone to flesh

And now I am wondering if different types of rocks have different flesh taste, such as one is a white meat and one is a red meat. There is probably a dwarven cookbook about it.

I should stop.

That's how the stone to flesh spell works in Nethack. You can transmute rocks, gems, boulders and receive meatballs of various sizes. A marble wand turns into a meat stick, and rings made of gemstones turn into meat rings.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Fire Storm posted:

I should stop.

Would it be like just random cuts of meat or would they be like living, misshapened, screaming flesh horrors?

Turn your D&D game into a cyriak animation?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 30, 2019

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Fire Storm posted:

I should stop.

At some point AD&D had a monster called the maedar, who was a male counterpart to the medusa. He would smash the statues she made and then cast Stone to Flesh, and that's how they ate.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

drat, that's one hell of a biological incentive to find a mate. Hitch up or starve.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Use it to tunnel through a mountain. Gonna take a while and smell/look horrific while maggots are cleaning up the waste meat though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nimby posted:

Use it to tunnel through a mountain. Gonna take a while and smell/look horrific while maggots are cleaning up the waste meat though.

Combine it with fire.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Delete

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
If you cast stone to flesh on a stone golem, does it become a human or a meat golem?

Is a human just a meat golem?

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jul 30, 2019

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
IIRC, a stone golem becomes a flesh golem, while a regular statue becomes a corpse.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Tenebrais posted:

This seems like the sort of thing a decent cleric would be able to do? Petrification isn't a super obscure effect.

It is a bastard of an effect.
Even if you cast Stone to Flesh on someone who has been Petrified, they have to make a Fortitude save afterwards to avoid dying from the shock of being turned back to organic. And since its binary (you die from a saving throw, not hit point damage) you can't heal the person. The only way around it is special heals that work on dead people like Breath of Life.

I've seen about three/four characters die in D&D/ Pathfinder games where this happened

It'sa super annoying spell to throw at PC's.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

nimby posted:

Why use maggots? Go in there with a hacksaw, set up a grill, you've got yourself the beginnings of a profitable enterprise.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ephemeron posted:

IIRC, a stone golem becomes a flesh golem, while a regular statue becomes a corpse.

...could you resurrect the corpse?

That seems like a cool character concept. I'm imagining a lonely wizard bringing a beautiful statue to life for a companion, who immediately runs away because that's massively creepy. Now she's trying to make something of this life she was never meant to have.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

That seems like a cool character concept. I'm imagining a lonely wizard bringing a beautiful statue to life for a companion, who immediately runs away because that's massively creepy. Now she's trying to make something of this life she was never meant to have.

I have done that exact concept as "person yelling drunkenly in a tavern as the PCs try to find their contact"

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I'll just leave this classic here:

Flesh to Stone

Stone to Mud

Mud to Stone

Stone to Flesh

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I was in a game where a villain faked their death by having a perfect statue replica made of himself and then having it stoned to flesh.

The party wizard figured it out and turned it into a flesh golem they paraded around using ventriloquism to basically seize all the guy's assets

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

Pygmalion only from the statue's perspective...

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Random Stranger posted:

Pygmalion only from the statue's perspective...
At that point, you might as well play Promethean: the Created.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Shugojin posted:

FORMALLY adjourned

everyone running away is not a formal adjournment

Unless they put in a clause that allows at least 2/5ths of all the primary representatives leave in fear to be considered a formal adjournment.

Which isn't unlikely

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I dig the implication that the elders would have voted yes out of sheer lawfulness if Hel hadn't obviously tampered with the vote. Dwarfs are cool.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I dig the implication that the elders would have voted yes out of sheer lawfulness if Hel hadn't obviously tampered with the vote. Dwarfs are cool.

Dwarfs are a potent metaphor about the dangers of centerism.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

NihilCredo posted:

I'll just leave this classic here:

Flesh to Stone

Stone to Mud

Mud to Stone

Stone to Flesh
Do you want a gibbering mouther? That's how you get gibbering mouthers.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Note : turn-to-stone aura extents after the hammer. Whatever goes up...

PMush Perfect posted:

Do you want a gibbering mouther? That's how you get gibbering mouthers.

Well, the magical ability to do so does implies they're a wizard - AKA, neither sound judgment nor a sense of right and wrong.
They do want a gibbering mouther.

Aside, didn't we already did this panel, during the godmoot? The shot an OOTS member in grave peril, and behind him a gloating vampire walking toward him?
*checks*
Okay, I thought for some reason that both had big-ending special size. Apparently not.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If he already cast meld into stone can he just walk right out of his own statue leaving a hollow shell?

I know that's not really how it works but it would be a fun use of the spell

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 30, 2019

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

If he already cast meld into stone can he just walk right out of his own statue leaving a hollow shell?

I know that's not really how it works but it would be a fun use of the spell

If so he'd just be re-stoned for casting a spell :v:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Shugojin posted:

Not if he had already cast it before, same as the dominations in effect. That's a 10 minutes/ level spell.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Shugojin posted:

Id be willing to bet that the enchantment is strictly one strike = one petrification.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'd say "we have to vote yes even if it means consigning all of dwarfkind to Hel, because at least the souls of every other race will be spared" is more Good than Lawful

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I think the sun will open up, the vampires will all burn... but the dominated dwarfs continue to vote. And the horde of dwarfs behind Durkon will continue to storm into the room and strike down the dominated ones, freely turning themselves to stone to save dwaftkind.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Wouldn't willingly sacrificing your race's souls to damnnation in Hel to save all of the other race's souls be an honorable way to die and thus save them from Hel?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

GodFish posted:

Wouldn't willingly sacrificing your race's souls to damnnation in Hel to save all of the other race's souls be an honorable way to die and thus save them from Hel?

The councillors themselves, possibly - at least a decent case for their gods to make. The rest of dwarfdom, not so much; they never made a decision to sacrifice themselves.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tenebrais posted:

The councillors themselves, possibly - at least a decent case for their gods to make. The rest of dwarfdom, not so much; they never made a decision to sacrifice themselves.

One could argue the clan members of the councilors giving the votes freely explicitly selected them to represent them and speak on their behalf, and thus ultimately consented to the self-sacrifice.

The clans of the the dominated councilors might just be hosed, tho.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also it was implied that the Dwarves would have debated about it.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Tenebrais posted:

Which in itself would be dishonorable, to doom hundred thousands others to go to Hel

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

GodFish posted:

Theology 101 right here; is that there is a *lot* of debate and discussion in religion. "Is God like, three people?" Was the most contentious argument to the very core of Christianity and split the Church between Roman Catholicism and the Eastern Orthodox. The Schisms just get more mundane and into the weeds of finer points from there i.e Orthodox with Miaphasytes.

It's not really a knowable answer, though maybe the Dwarven clan leaders might've cross examined a High Priest to figure out if its a valid line of theological reasoning; but the fact the Vampires were voting Yes implies the answer might be No; which is why the non-dominated Elders immediately jumped to argue for No; but we also don't know for sure if the Vampires voted yes because its No or because they don't want to take any chances and Hel will do what she can do take what she can.

The comic where Loki and Thor went in to trick Hel into giving up a whole bunch of souls to distract her I think tells us a very important detail. I don't think the Gods know 100% either.

I think Hel thinks this is at least mostly true, and Thor and Loki also think it is at least probably true enough that they can't risk it. Odds are though the line of reasoning is valid enough that had the Dwarven Elders voted yes with that argument; Thor and Loki absolutely would've attempted to follow through with that argument with Hel, there's a lot of ways that could have gone; such as a 50/50 split compromise, or 80% of the souls, or most of them etc.

And if THAT is possible; then it opens the possibility that that logic could be valid, and by the Vampires voting Yes, it as a poster above said, dooms those particular clans.

In any case it's pretty clear that "Where do souls go?" is not a fundamental universal law; the gods have wiggle room to argue and debate, and are constrained only by avoiding another Snarl.

I feel like by analogy this is like gathering evidence for a big court case. Hel is trying to push the scales in her favour by giving herself the strongest possible argument without needing to worry about "loopholes" like the kind Thor and Loki apparently routinely use ("Died fighting a Tree!"). From Hel's perspective she wants to be able to make the argument that the Dwarves didn't die honourably when her dominated minions did it.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

That's a hit right in the middle of the dome, which is the part that makes it stable. It's just like the keystone in an arch, but 3D. That ceiling is coming down in short order.

That's not how a dome works. Otherwise the Pantheon wouldn't have it's oculus.

See:
https://brewminate.com/engineering-the-pantheon-architectural-construction-structural-analysis/

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Raenir Salazar posted:

Theology 101 right here; is that there is a *lot* of debate and discussion in religion. "Is God like, three people?" Was the most contentious argument to the very core of Christianity and split the Church between Roman Catholicism and the Eastern Orthodox. The Schisms just get more mundane and into the weeds of finer points from there i.e Orthodox with Miaphasytes.

It's not really a knowable answer, though maybe the Dwarven clan leaders might've cross examined a High Priest to figure out if its a valid line of theological reasoning; but the fact the Vampires were voting Yes implies the answer might be No; which is why the non-dominated Elders immediately jumped to argue for No; but we also don't know for sure if the Vampires voted yes because its No or because they don't want to take any chances and Hel will do what she can do take what she can.

The comic where Loki and Thor went in to trick Hel into giving up a whole bunch of souls to distract her I think tells us a very important detail. I don't think the Gods know 100% either.

I think Hel thinks this is at least mostly true, and Thor and Loki also think it is at least probably true enough that they can't risk it. Odds are though the line of reasoning is valid enough that had the Dwarven Elders voted yes with that argument; Thor and Loki absolutely would've attempted to follow through with that argument with Hel, there's a lot of ways that could have gone; such as a 50/50 split compromise, or 80% of the souls, or most of them etc.

And if THAT is possible; then it opens the possibility that that logic could be valid, and by the Vampires voting Yes, it as a poster above said, dooms those particular clans.

In any case it's pretty clear that "Where do souls go?" is not a fundamental universal law; the gods have wiggle room to argue and debate, and are constrained only by avoiding another Snarl.

I feel like by analogy this is like gathering evidence for a big court case. Hel is trying to push the scales in her favour by giving herself the strongest possible argument without needing to worry about "loopholes" like the kind Thor and Loki apparently routinely use ("Died fighting a Tree!"). From Hel's perspective she wants to be able to make the argument that the Dwarves didn't die honourably when her dominated minions did it.

this is p. pedantic of me, but the first schism you're talking about there is arianism vs nicene christendom iirc, both catholics and orthodox churches believe in the trinity - the basis for that split was the intepretation of the Bishop of Rome's role in the church hierarchy, where the catholics were in favour of a papal interpretation and the orthodox church favoured a doctrine of 'first among equals'. it's more of a political split than a theological one - the Western church tried a power grab and the eastern church called bullshit, basically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
God is God.
Jesus is also God.

And theres just like...a ghost that is also God, or God-Adjacent?