Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

buddhist nudist posted:

This has been an issue since the first game. Also having to manually choose to watch 3 or 4 cutscenes in a row instead of just autoplaying them in series until you get to the next combat mission.

Exactly, that's why I said it's related to all those mini-scenes. You need to wade through all that crap (where I am it was 7 of them!), and you're itching to finally fight something, but right at the end you have to remember to go back to HQ for R&D etc'... and their Menuphilia means it all takes way longer than it should have.

The combat itself I really like! I wish it was in a different game, something more X-com-ish. I recently learned of a 3DS game called Codename STEAM that tried that but sadly failed miserably, I hope one day something similar but good comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Exactly, that's why I said it's related to all those mini-scenes. You need to wade through all that crap (where I am it was 7 of them!), and you're itching to finally fight something, but right at the end you have to remember to go back to HQ for R&D etc'... and their Menuphilia means it all takes way longer than it should have.

The combat itself I really like! I wish it was in a different game, something more X-com-ish. I recently learned of a 3DS game called Codename STEAM that tried that but sadly failed miserably, I hope one day something similar but good comes out.

Combat missions become more common as the game progresses, which helps cut down on the problem but it never fully goes away.

I love the Valkyria Chronicles series, but that's because I'll forgive a lot of bullshit as long as the gameplay itself is interesting enough. I can't blame anybody for getting sick of its poo poo. It's in the Final Fantasy camp where you can clearly tell that the studio wanted to make an film or animated series and only grudgingly give control to the player enough that they can legally call it a video game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's not really the game's fault because I like the premise, but I just cannot get the hang of moving in 3d space in flight games. I'm trying to play Star Trek: Shattered Universe on the PS2, which is a really neat premise and fun intro, but cannot get past the first mission fighting the Mirror Enterprise because the second part where I need to kill the enemy fighter ships, I cannot keep track of them or hit them because I'm getting overwhelmed by the wide range of motion. It's not the game's fault, I'm the thing dragging it down, but it's frustrating. It doesn't help that I've never played a flight-sim before so have no idea how to move as I haven't learned how these types of games work.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

It's not really the game's fault because I like the premise, but I just cannot get the hang of moving in 3d space in flight games. I'm trying to play Star Trek: Shattered Universe on the PS2, which is a really neat premise and fun intro, but cannot get past the first mission fighting the Mirror Enterprise because the second part where I need to kill the enemy fighter ships, I cannot keep track of them or hit them because I'm getting overwhelmed by the wide range of motion. It's not the game's fault, I'm the thing dragging it down, but it's frustrating. It doesn't help that I've never played a flight-sim before so have no idea how to move as I haven't learned how these types of games work.

This is giving me flashbacks to getting horribly lost and disorientated trying to play Descent about 20 years ago...

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Hearing the beeping of an incoming missile getting faster and louder when you're in the middle of a dogfight is better than crack

Goes for any good space game.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Morpheus posted:

Lol what. A bunch of customization options in your materia, or draw-for-an-hour gameplay to raise your stats because the game is busted and bad.

I played through ff7 without doing any grinding, and it was miiiiiles better than what ff8 asked of you.

I think the Junction system was really cool in theory but the explanation is hugely overlong and the early implementation of it is real bad.

All they needed to do was make all the 'basic' stats like Strength, Defense, HP etc junctionable from the start as basics, and then only the really wacky stuff like Elem-Attack or Status-Attack needs a particular unlock.

And then the tutorial can just say "Once you've drawn magic from foes, equip it to your stats directly to improve them. Some magic is more effective than others; for example, Cure magic will improve your HP more than Fire will."

Boom done.

Instead if you were a dumbass kid like me then you don't know that you should buy all those Stat-J scrolls ASAP to teach your GFs so you can actually improve all your stats right away.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It also punishes you for leveling because in a jrpg if you cant beat a boss your instinct is "I guess I have to level more" but if you dont know how to exploit junctioning youre just making the game harder since enemies scale to your level.

I really think 8s system was clever but its so badly explained then punishes you for not understanding it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

RagnarokAngel posted:

It also punishes you for leveling because in a jrpg if you cant beat a boss your instinct is "I guess I have to level more"

I've said this before, but I still think that something dragging JRPGs as a whole down is that this is a lot of peoples' instinct, and it's usually not true.

It's almost always one way to solve your problem, and it will usually work (and FF8's basically the only exception), but it's neither the most fun solution or the intended one. People look at them as just a numbers game, and so all they need to do is get their numbers higher. But what they should really be doing, and it's always an option, is to just play smarter. Learn how that thing that just flattened you works, and how to counter it. It's a very rare moment in an RPG where you come up to a foe and straight-up don't have the tools to beat it, but there's so many people who've internalized this notion that JRPGs inherently require grinding, who therefore ignore those tools because to them, the obviously intended solution isn't to experiment with your options and be smart, but to aimlessly kill wildlife for an hour.

It just really frustrates me when 'grinding' and/or 'leveling' is presented as the default answer to difficulty in JRPGs, because I've played a hell of a lot of them, and I've only hit that problem with two.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
In Toon Blast, it's annoying that when you mix more than 2 power-ups it automatically mixes the 2 "highest" ones in the hierarchy because bomb+rocket is usually more useful than bomb+bomb and disco ball+rocket than disco ball+bomb. It's also annoying that in some levels you're penalized for having a better starting bonus because there are so few colored squares that all your bonuses get clumped up and yo always end up with a single big bomb. Some levels even start with enough blocks of the same colour for a disco ball but you lose it when some of them get turned to bombs and rockets, penalizing you for having a starting bonus at all.

Get your poo poo together Toon Blast!

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
FF8 was the first one I played, and even though I didn't really get junctioning (for all of the above reasons) until much later, I still had trouble going back to FF7 and the materia system for some reason. I replayed FF7 on PS4 more recently, and the battle mechanics were much better than I remembered; unless you're trying to get all the limit breaks asap or do things like the master All materia money trick, there's not really all that much grinding required honestly. I'm not sure what exactly I was doing wrong when I played it as a kid. I probably just misunderstood some of the mechanics, or missed that certain weapons and armour provide decreased or absolutely no materia growth.

I also probably ran away from more than my fair share of battles.

I agree with bewilderment's post above, but the thing I find hard to shake about FF8 now is that it's hard not to completely break the junctioning system. Like, another amendment could be a pop-up saying, "Look bozo, you don't really need to spend hours drawing 100s of cure spells all at once! Really, you don't! Just get a few and move on! :rolleyes:", but I think those who go back and play the game now will just do it out of habit. Most people don't even seem to balance it out between drawing and playing card games, they just do loads of drawing and loads of card games. I mean, the luxury then is that you don't need to worry about any of the boss fights until, like, the final quarter of the game at the earliest, but it all comes down to what makes the game fun to you I guess. Sometimes, if you're not breaking things, it's like the menu is just winking at you and begging you to try it.

Things dragging down FF7 for me: some enemy skills being overly complex to obtain (this is another one for the 100% goobers but I still don't know how you're supposed to get ones like the chocobo one without a guide), some areas being so murkily and scratchily designed that they're flat-out annoying to navigate (Mt. Nibel stands out), and I'm one of those people who thinks that the Great Glacier is just a bit too big for what it is. YMMV on the Fort Condor minigame (I don't mind it), but the amount of errors in the text boxes surrounding it suggest to me that it was not play-tested much.

What I like about FF8 is its art direction, which I think still looks incredible in some places. Dragging it down is obviously the completely inane plot and the attempts to make a love story out of an entirely unappealing, unmatching couple. Also, the much more open battle system where characters are really only differentiated by their limit breaks seemed to have the bizarre side-effect of making the characters themselves much more boring. I think people might have given the junction system more of a pass if the characters were actually engaging within the story. As it is the most interesting main party member is Squall, so... yeah.

Hedgehog Pie has a new favorite as of 15:47 on Jul 30, 2019

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I've said this before, but I still think that something dragging JRPGs as a whole down is that this is a lot of peoples' instinct, and it's usually not true.

It's almost always one way to solve your problem, and it will usually work (and FF8's basically the only exception), but it's neither the most fun solution or the intended one. People look at them as just a numbers game, and so all they need to do is get their numbers higher. But what they should really be doing, and it's always an option, is to just play smarter. Learn how that thing that just flattened you works, and how to counter it. It's a very rare moment in an RPG where you come up to a foe and straight-up don't have the tools to beat it, but there's so many people who've internalized this notion that JRPGs inherently require grinding, who therefore ignore those tools because to them, the obviously intended solution isn't to experiment with your options and be smart, but to aimlessly kill wildlife for an hour.

It just really frustrates me when 'grinding' and/or 'leveling' is presented as the default answer to difficulty in JRPGs, because I've played a hell of a lot of them, and I've only hit that problem with two.

In a game where you get experience almost every time you interact in the game world, and end up relatively worse off the more you end up leveling, it also means that the game actively punishes the player for playing the game, exploring the optional content and spending time with the product.

Not exactly a stellar game design-decision, this one.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

So I get all the way to the boss of dungeon 6 in Legend of Zelda, which is no mean feat as it's full of bastard wizzrobes, only to find that the boss Gohma can only be killed with an arrow. I don't have any and enemies don't drop them. Back to the start for me I guess...

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I picked up Spider-Man because it was on sale and I had just seen Far From Home

Brutes are garbage and I hate fighting them
There's probably a good reason for it but I wonder why they didn't get the previous Spider-Men into a recording booth and let me buy a dlc voice pack for :20bux:
Why is JK Simmons not JJJ?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Len posted:

There's probably a good reason for it but I wonder why they didn't get the previous Spider-Men into a recording booth and let me buy a dlc voice pack for :20bux:

JK Simmons is an academy award actor who probably cost a little too much

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Calaveron posted:

JK Simmons is an academy award actor who probably cost a little too much

He was Cave Johnson in Lego Dimensions and Portal 2

And a goddamn M&M

Edit: and the president in a Command & Conquer game

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Len posted:

He was Cave Johnson in Lego Dimensions and Portal 2

And a goddamn M&M

Edit: and the president in a Command & Conquer game

All those predate his academy award I think
Besides Sony's Playstation's Marvel's Spider-Man was doing its own thing and JK Simmons would've just made people think of the Raimi movies and Tobey Maguire's doughy fat face

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Calaveron posted:

Besides Sony's Playstation's Marvel's Spider-Man was doing its own thing and JK Simmons would've just made people think of the Raimi movies and Tobey Maguire's doughy fat face

JK Simmons as JJJ was the best casting in any movie ever :colbert:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Calaveron posted:

All those predate his academy award I think

Possibly not the Portal 2 Lego Dimensions pack. It released in late 2015 so it may or may not have been recorded before the award.

But also doing it's own thing or not he's JJ in the MCU appearing in an Infowars style stinger at the end of Far From Home spoiled in case people give a poo poo about comic book stuff

Captain Hygiene posted:

But this is truth

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Relatedly, this is probably one for the other thread, and I have a funny feeling I've said this before, but: Portal 2's voice cast generally was just so good.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Paul.Power posted:

Relatedly, this is probably one for the other thread, and I have a funny feeling I've said this before, but: Portal 2's voice cast generally was just so good.

All three of them!

Ninja edit :four! Forgot Nolan North

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The characters in Fire Emblem: Three Houses are so malleable and the classes so unimportant feeling that they all sort of blend together for me. Any character can learn any skill or proficiency. Any class can use any weapon, with the exception that you can't punch from horseback and only magic users use magic. They got rid of the weapon triangle so any weapon is good at attacking any other weapon. Swordmasters, heroes, brigands, brawlers and etc all just sort of feel interchangeable, and any character can be any of those classes.

I guess as someone who never really cared about stuff like support conversations I mostly experienced the "character" of each unit through their gameplay stats and detailed sprite animations (although the 3D Radiant duology are probably my favorites in the franchise). I'm definitely in the minority here since apparently leaning hard into "waifu emblem" saved the franchise.

The game is also real easy. I'm, I'd estimate, 3/4 though the game on hard/classic(permadeath) which is the hardest difficulty offered and I'd characterize the difficulty as easy to moderate. I don't mind losing a few characters on a playthrough but with the divine pulse (rewind) mechanic it hasn't even come up. I have to imagine playing on normal/casual feels like Babbytown Frolics: Easy Variant. And I'm no Fire Emblem Sun Tzu or anything, I've never even bothered with the challenge difficulty in any of the games.

Exploring the "monastery" (anime highschool/college) suuucks and I don't give a poo poo about any of the fetch quests or activities it contains. It's basically a meh knockoff of Persona.

Don't get me wrong, it's still like an 8/10 game for me, I'm just sort of bummed about the direction the series has taken. At least they got rid of the skinship with your little sister/having children/skinship with the children you had with your little sister.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Moon Monster posted:

At least they got rid of the skinship with your little sister/having children/skinship with the children you had with your little sister.

they weren't actually related to the main character, except for the blue one

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Of the JRPGs I've only played Final Fantasy games and I have question: Is Octopath Traveller's story super bland cookie cutter bare bones?

I've bought it on release because someone said it's a great homage to snes era JRPGs but that seems to translate to "it's pixelart".

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Vic posted:

Of the JRPGs I've only played Final Fantasy games and I have question: Is Octopath Traveller's story super bland cookie cutter bare bones?

Yes. It goes from meh to insultingly bad.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Paul.Power posted:

Dragging video games down: Valve having a great team of writers who spent years writing material for TF2 and Dota 2.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Strom Cuzewon posted:

All three of them!

Ninja edit :four! Forgot Nolan North

Also Mike Patton

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Vic posted:

I've bought it on release because someone said it's a great homage to snes era JRPGs but that seems to translate to "it's pixelart".

The interesting thing about Octopath, to its benefit and detriment both, is that it's essentially a game where all the focus is given to party members that would be, like, secondary or tertiary characters in any other RPG. You can think of plenty of characters like them in other games, but their story is always sidequest territory or an early-game diversion rather than the real plot. To that extent I would agree with 'cookie cutter', but I'd also say that they're very good cookies.

I'd say most of its 'homage to SNES-era JRPGs' comes from the pixel art, though. I'd actually say it has more in common with the PS1 era, which is when a lot of those sorts of side characters the cast is taking inspiration from actually turned up; the Akihiko Yoshida art helps that, too, since it all looks like Final Fantasy Tactics.

I think it's a pretty good game for what it is, but it's definitely a game for people who are deep into the genre, to the point where they'd recognize and accept a game that's basically going 'yeah we've let all the big drat heroes have their games, let's give the spotlight to Sidequest Shmucks for once'. And all the neat things about the story essentially grow out from that concept of giving those plots way more screentime than they'd ever get elsewhere.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The thing that bummed me out about it was how the characters do not interact with each other outside of optional side dialogue which is often silly stuff. The game was designed that in theory you could beat the game without ever having other party members join you (though outside of a challenge run I can't imagine why) so it doesn't acknowledge their existence and that ends up feeling kinda flat. They should have done it so you have to complete the prologue for each character first so each chapter thereafter could be written with the assumption you had everyone.

The fact that every story happens in a vacuum feels so drat off especially since JRPGs are often driven by their characters so the fact that they never get any meaningful reaction left a bit of a hole for me.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Mooncrash fuckin owns. I'm not sure why you're having so much trouble with the Moonshark because it is blind and relies on sound, so if you just don't walk on the sand it will never pop up to fight you.

edit: You should be making as much use as you can of the glide, including the double-tap to boost forward a little bit. Always ALWAYS start with the Artax Booster on your characters once you unlock the blueprint, otherwise make it a priority to go and find one when you start a new round. Never ever touch the ground in areas where the Moonshark is hanging out and it will make a lot of noise but generally not pop out unless it's right on top of you. If the Moonshark DOES notice you, just... yknow, run away from it. You're on a time limit what with the corruption meter etc, but it's not that strict that you can't play Mooncrash like it's Prey every now and then.

This reminds me that I tried to play Prey on a console and gave up within 2 hours. I think I'm physically incapable of playing an Arkane game without a keyboard and mouse.

The sheer amount of poo poo that you're expected to be quick and on the ball about (not just shooting, but other environmental interactions) is intolerable with joysticks, and I just feel like I'm playing as a lumbering idiot with nerve damage instead of the savvy hero. It was the exact same thing with Dishonored, and apparently I didn't learn my lesson.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

RagnarokAngel posted:

The thing that bummed me out about it was how the characters do not interact with each other outside of optional side dialogue which is often silly stuff. The game was designed that in theory you could beat the game without ever having other party members join you (though outside of a challenge run I can't imagine why) so it doesn't acknowledge their existence and that ends up feeling kinda flat. They should have done it so you have to complete the prologue for each character first so each chapter thereafter could be written with the assumption you had everyone.

The fact that every story happens in a vacuum feels so drat off especially since JRPGs are often driven by their characters so the fact that they never get any meaningful reaction left a bit of a hole for me.

I didn't find that especially sad, because they actually did put a lot of side dialogs tied to quest events in the game so it doesn't feel totally isolated; chances are extremely high that once you've got a team of four everyone gets at least one scene in a quest, no matter what combination you brought in.

And in some cases those scenes are really fun, or add some decent depth to the character. I'd especially recommend bringing Primrose along on quests, who's really dour in her own stories but seems to have fun in other people's, especially when they get to do crimes. There's also one exchange that I personally take to be saying she's got a thing for H'aanit, but I admit I'm reaching on that one.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Len posted:

I think this guy is "the" audio Spider-Man now. Disney tends to pick voice actors and stick with them until they die. The voice actress for Minnie Mouse (RIP) has voiced her in every appearance since 1986. It seems like they're doing this with their games, too. They used the same actors for him, Doc Ock, and Miles Morales in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 that just released.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I really hated the ending of the Sexy Brutale: The whole Groundhog-Day element is completely irrelevant as everyone but the player died decades ago. For some reason the main-character is given the choice to forgive themselves for their actions, even though the main-character is directly responsible for everyone's painful death in a failed scheme of insurance-fraud. It just left a bad taste in the mouth and reminded me of the M. Night movies people hate.

On the other hand I loved the true ending to Dying Light because it was so loving funny.

Majora's Mask is the best Zelda game for me because it had a strong emotional-edge. What was great was it's epilogue that showed all the people you helped getting on with their lives in this new day. This wasn't good enough for some fans, so they insisted that Termina was just a figment of an] autistic kid's imagination in the Nintendo approved Zelda Encyclopedia. The point I'm trying to make is that people who argue dumb theories that make the story worse deserve to be sterilized with an unwashed pizza-cutter i.e. "It was all a dream." "This character is actually another character from a different work in disguise" "This living character was dead the whole time." "The author is wrong and the intended message is actually this instead."

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 17:44 on Jul 31, 2019

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Majora's Mask is the best Zelda game for me because it had a strong emotional-edge. What was great was it's epilogue that showed all the people you helped getting on with their lives in this new day. This wasn't good enough for some fans, so they insisted that Termina was just a figment of an] autistic kid's imagination in the Nintendo approved Zelda Encyclopedia. The point I'm trying to make is that people who argue dumb theories that make the story worse deserve to be sterilized with an unwashed pizza-cutter i.e. "It was all a dream." "This character is actually another character from a different work in disguise" "This living character was dead the whole time." "The author is wrong and the intended message is actually this instead."

Not exactly new for the series though, given that Link's Awakening exists. Didn't realize it was a creation though, that does kinda suck given how much work you can go through to make everyone's lives better.

I really hated the ending of the Sexy Brutale: The whole Groundhog-Day element is completely irrelevant as everyone but the player died decades ago. For some reason the main-character is given the choice to forgive themselves for their actions, even though the main-character is directly responsible for everyone's painful death in a failed scheme of insurance-fraud. It just left a bad taste in the mouth and reminded me of the M. Night movies people hate.

It's very relevant, since it's the torment the main character lives through - he's constantly reliving the deaths of all of his friends in his own personal hell that he created.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Dragon Warrior II on the GBC

Great game if you like Dragon Quest, but the zoomed in field of vision makes it pretty trying to get anywhere without a world map pulled up from somewhere.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

This wasn't good enough for some fans, so they insisted that Termina was just a figment of an] autistic kid's imagination in the Nintendo approved Zelda Encyclopedia.

I haven't read that so it doesn't count :c00lbert:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It's not canon, just published fanfic made without the input of the people who actually made the game.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

It's not canon, just published fanfic made without the input of the people who actually made the game.

that's what canon is though

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Not exactly new for the series though, given that Link's Awakening exists. Didn't realize it was a creation though, that does kinda suck given how much work you can go through to make everyone's lives better.

Link's Awakening is one of the incredibly few cases ever of "it's a dream" ending being good

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Qwertycoatl posted:

Link's Awakening is one of the incredibly few cases ever of "it's a dream" ending being good

It was lightly foreshadowed by the bosses, straight up told to you by the sixth dungeon boss (and mentioned in the leadup to dungeon 6), and by the time you get to the final boss it's completely evident that by waking up the Wind Fish you're causing Koholint to not exist anymore. It's good because instead of being a "twist" ending, it's actually a large part of the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

JackSplater posted:

It was lightly foreshadowed by the bosses, straight up told to you by the sixth dungeon boss (and mentioned in the leadup to dungeon 6), and by the time you get to the final boss it's completely evident that by waking up the Wind Fish you're causing Koholint to not exist anymore. It's good because instead of being a "twist" ending, it's actually a large part of the plot.

I particularly like that the owl guide is deliberately withholding information to manipulate you into doing what it wants