Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
billions of people are going to unnecessarily suffer and die in the next few hundred years and the survivors of an unidentifiable and still-worsening world will hate all of us for forcing them to inherit completely avoidable problems created before they were even born

frankly, this owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Farrier Theaks posted:

billions of people are going to unnecessarily suffer and die in the next few hundred years and the survivors of an unidentifiable and still-worsening world will hate all of us for forcing them to inherit completely avoidable problems created before they were even born

frankly, this owns

This probably could have been written at any point since like the year 100 and it would have still been correct, just more correct the later it was written.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Shima Honnou posted:

I explained the ice in water not raising it to the same guy who doesn't get albedo and he absolutely refuses to get that sea ice doesn't add to sea level. So it's definitely not understood by everyone.

It also won't matter because lmao

sir... I'm afraid i have some bad news...
https://nsidc.org/news/newsroom/20050801_floatingice.html

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Humans are adorable

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Addamere posted:

Humans are adorable
our cage needs cleaning

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

TACD posted:

our cage needs cleaning

Don't worry, GAWD gave us this planet to gently caress up like a lovely timeshare (just ignore Leviticus 25:23 and Psalm 24:1 :shepface: ), but just you wait, he's gonna upgrade all his 'preferred clients' to his *premium* property *any day now*! Because *REASONS*!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Qur'an goes the opposite direction, basically saying take care of poo poo or you get got because god won't protect you from the consequences that you earned by being stupid.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Don't worry, GAWD gave us this planet to gently caress up like a lovely timeshare (just ignore Leviticus 25:23 and Psalm 24:1 :shepface: ), but just you wait, he's gonna upgrade all his 'preferred clients' to his *premium* property *any day now*! Because *REASONS*!

Anything is possible, theologically, once you've manoeuvred your brain into ignoring all that stuff about "sell your possessions and give the money to the poor" and "love your enemies" etc etc

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

vyelkin posted:

uh buddy she's also one of the few public figures on the entire planet that's actually talking about how this is the biggest issue on earth

here are some choice greta thunberg quotes:

"we can't change the world by playing by the rules, because the rules have to be changed."

"Some people, some companies, some decision makers in particular have known exactly what priceless values they have been sacrificing to continue making unimaginable amounts of money. I think many of you here today belong to that group of people." (that one was at Davos)

"I don't want you to be hopeful. I want you to panic. I want you to feel the fear I feel every day. And then I want you to act. I want you to act as you would in a crisis. I want you to act as if the house was on fire—because it is". (that one was also at Davos)

"According to the IPCC, we are less than 12 years away from not being able to undo our mistakes. In that time, unprecedented changes in all aspects of society need to have taken place, including a reduction of our CO2 emissions by at least 50%"

she would honestly fit right in in this thread

the only difference is she's also a really prominent public figure and the right absolutely loves attacking her and trying to find any trace of hypocrisy in her actions that they could use to discredit her and the entire climate crisis movement, so it actually is absolutely imperative that she do things like avoid flying so that they can't pull out the Al Gore/Leonardo DiCaprio line and say "look what a hypocrite telling us we need to restructure our entire civilization while still enjoying all the carbon-emitting benefits of our civilization like flying everywhere to attend protests"
the guy mcpherson gently caress hope article mentioned there was another teenage joan of arc climate change savior in the 90s that was also ineffectual lol

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Crazypoops posted:

Jesus loving christ, we are in the gas chamber and the valve is turned to :on: just shut the gently caress up about individual mastabatory action and let me die in loving peace.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

quick reminder that lol, nothing matters

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Shima Honnou posted:

Qur'an goes the opposite direction, basically saying take care of poo poo or you get got because god won't protect you from the consequences that you earned by being stupid.

Bibles the same way, just like 90% of Christian's don't actually believe it

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Truga posted:

Lol a tenth of the cost of Iraq war for fusion reactor

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

Truga posted:

coal man lose job though

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

But have you considered that fusion reactors would have high capital costs but almost no marginal costs per extra kwh? That doesn't make for good rent seeking behavior!

Also I hear theyre full of dangerous science atoms and nobody likes those except those nerds who probably understand how airplanes fly.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
It's been 90 degrees every day for 100 days and every day I wear a sweater in the office because my hands start to go numb from the AC induced cold. Are we still talking about individual action being meaningless or are we past that? Anyway, a good lol and lmao to you all this morning

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Perry Mason Jar posted:

It's been 90 degrees every day for 100 days and every day I wear a sweater in the office because my hands start to go numb from the AC induced cold. Are we still talking about individual action being meaningless or are we past that? Anyway, a good lol and lmao to you all this morning

did you know they're building an NFL stadium in las vegas, which will be completely enclosed and air conditioned because otherwise it would regularly kill people in the desert heat? have a good one

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I didn't know that! Have a great day

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the bitcoin of weed posted:

did you know they're building an NFL stadium in las vegas, which will be completely enclosed and air conditioned because otherwise it would regularly kill people in the desert heat? have a good one

all I see is state funded habitable dome construction comrade

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Actually, it turns out, thing's don't look that bad (yet).

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Shima Honnou posted:

Bible says that too, but it's pretty easy to ignore that if you really want number to go up

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

the bitcoin of weed posted:

but lol at the goon who won't fly from alaska to see their family

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Actually, it turns out, thing's don't look that bad (yet).

Wow, arctic ice increasing in the winter for the last 3 years, checkmate alarmists

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

letting the days go by
let the water drag me down

worse than it ever was
worse than it ever was
worse than it ever was
worse than it ever was

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

fun fact that military co2 is not covered in any global agreements and also the usm is like 10-15% of world emissions output on its own

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

it'll probably bounce back next year don't worry about it

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
Lost Cities and Climate Change

quote:

“The climate has changed before,” say people who want to minimize the scale of the current challenge. I have never understood how anyone could find this comforting. The natural climate changes that have shaped human history have almost always been smaller and more regionally contained than the large-scale human-caused change we are currently experiencing. And even these changes have provoked suffering, scapegoating, and the collapse of civilizations.

when scientific american sounds like the climate change thread, it's p. mainstream imo

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Wakko posted:

when scientific american sounds like the climate change thread, it's p. mainstream imo

Yeah, it's not like the little ice age was a catalyst for wars and revolutions around Europe lmao, denialists are so dumb

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Saying "The climate has changed before" is a bit like saying "People have died before, what's the big deal" at a car wreck.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Admiral Ray posted:

Saying "The climate has changed before" is a bit like saying "People have died before, what's the big deal" at a car wreck.

"Some people died in a mass shooting today" *links that clip from Sherlock of Moriarty screaming "THAT'S WHAT PEOPLE DO".

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/telesurenglish/status/1156081992091332609?s=19

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

only 250 barrels? u are like little baby:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
http://www.summitcamp.org/status/weather/

Even the highest point in Greenland is now above 0C lmao, melt all the way down

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finally Greenland will live up to its name.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Wakko posted:

the correct answer to "the climate's changed before" is "yeah and there's been five mass extinction events before too lmao"

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Yes, but have you considered it is actually impossible to make any reasonable predictions about the future?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Linear time is an illusion.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

don't worry i'm sure divine intervention will save us

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CODChimera posted:

don't worry i'm sure divine intervention will save us