Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

infernal machines posted:

a bunch of RCEs discovered in old VxWorks IP stack

200 million estimated devices affected, most of which will probably never be patched because they're ancient embedded systems no one has thought about in years
Not only does this affect the Mars rovers which run VxWorks - there's also a lot of work ahead for the BSDs, FreeBSD especially - because Wind River is the software part of BSDi that split off.
The other part became Walnut Creek CDROM aka ftp.cdrom.com, which is now iXsystems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

and hackers got into the dsn in 2018 so maybe we will get our first interplanetary pwn

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

D. Ebdrup posted:

Not only does this affect the Mars rovers which run VxWorks

why would you spend power on tcp & ip for a mars rover

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cocoa Crispies posted:

why would you spend power on tcp & ip for a mars rover

curiosity sends data primarily through other probes in mars orbit that relay to earth, an off the shelf tcp/ip stack would work for that

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
imagine bricking a 2.5 billion dollar rover

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Perplx posted:

imagine bricking a 2.5 billion dollar rover

Goddamn that'd be an expensive smarthands request.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"commander we've decrypted the signal from the rover and there are definite signs of advanced life forms here"

"well what does it say"

"dear sir: your files have been encrypted..."

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

the last 9 months of the rover's lifespan was spent dragging its shovel across the surface of the planet to draw penises in the sand, after lizard squad hijacked its transmitter and changed its access codes

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

haveblue posted:

curiosity sends data primarily through other probes in mars orbit that relay to earth, an off the shelf tcp/ip stack would work for that

iirc one of the experiments on one of the mars orbiters is in fact a special packet-switched network... thing... that's meant to be a prototype for a future interplanetary internet

e: nevermind it was on Deep Impact, not a mars orbiter

there was a cancelled mars orbiter too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Telecommunications_Orbiter

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 30, 2019

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
considering that one of the mars viking missions ended because an engineer mistakenly sent a command to turn down a receiving antenna...

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lain Iwakura posted:

considering that one of the mars viking missions ended because an engineer mistakenly sent a command to turn down a receiving antenna...

was it lil jon or dj snake?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I really want to delve more into satellite/probe security, but not sure where to start other than listening in on our local ground station with an SDR and seeing what I can discover.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CommieGIR posted:

I really want to delve more into satellite/probe security, but not sure where to start other than listening in on our local ground station with an SDR and seeing what I can discover.

first I think you perform a summoning ritual to call forth jonny290

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Cocoa Crispies posted:

was it lil jon or dj snake?

this was also my first thought

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

there are a few decent talks like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aBXpho5b7w

but i hope you like gnuradio

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/iangcarroll/status/1155986280234119170

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yep im here

(i did not namesearch lol)

Satellites come in three flavors:

- no security - our old military communications satellites were like this. Absolutely no way to control. Thinking is that you could run crypto on top for the actual data, and you did not want there to be a shutdown code AT ALL because what if the commies got it. These are still usable today if you can suss out the uplink and downlink freqs, and are the satellites that Vice or Wired or whoever write stories about BRAZILIAN PIRATES SENDING SLOW SCAN TV ON MILITARY SATELLITES.
- modest security - Most ham satellites are like this. One of the few waivers we get for the "no crypto on the airwaves" clause is to secure control communications on ground to satellite links. So, most ham birds do have a way to be turned off and on from the ground securely. Of course, all the voice and data we actually relay through them is in the clear and you're welcome to listen, but it's not the most exciting thing - just dudes yelling their callsign and Maidenhead grid square and "QSL" then on to the next contact.
- Modern mil/spy poo poo - no way you're getting any useful data from these, but it's fun to tune into the carrier signals and watch them Doppler across your screen

the NOAA satellites around 137 MHz are super easy to get into because they're nuclear powered or something and have super high powered transmitters, and the decode software is easily available. Realtime maps, yo.

probably the easiest way to get into satellite snooping is to get:

- RTL SDR stick, of course
- Two inexpensive VHF+UHF tv antennas off Amazon - something that looks like this, not something that looks like this.

figure out a way to mount them back to back

pre:
+-+-|-|---|-|-+-+
        |
        |
        |pole mast broomstick whatever ya got
Combine them with a splitter, get that pole outside and aim them so that they're north/south. You don't need to angle them up because horizon and low altitudes are where you need most gain. A wet piece of spaghetti will pick up a satellite directly overhead. You aim em N/S because most birds are in a polar orbit so they will come in either north to south, or south to north. The back to back and N/S setup means that you don't need rotators to actually chase the satellites. Downside is that signal strengths are a little bit lower than with a real aimed setup.

Then start tuning around the 225-400 MHz range for mil satellites, 135-138 for NOAA or 145.8-146.0 and 435-438 MHz for hams. You'll find all sorts of data transmissions and voice squawks.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 30, 2019

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Shame Boy posted:

it's primarily a mechanism to deny things to minorities in a way that doesn't look discriminatory so it doesn't need to mean anything

My wife and a minority came to the US about 19 years ago and has a score around 825. She didn't do anything with paperwork from banks where she's from, she's just not an idiot living off credit cards and loans.

I just let her manage the money and ride her coattails, which gets my score just below hers but occasionally I'll be above hers.

She has store cards and junk but she uses them to get whatever points she can and then just pays them off at the end of the month instead of living outside our means.

She waits for 0% financing on things like furniture and pays that stuff off before the time limit when interest starts getting charged. Amazon has a store card that does 0% for some things too, if you prefer that route.

https://securityaffairs.co/wordpress/88696/breaking-news/llucian-banner-web-flaw.html

quote:

“A user’s unique identifier, UDCID, is leaked via a cookie and it could lead to account compromise if this identifier is captured or otherwise known, in the case tested the UDCID was known to be the institutional ID printed on ID cards. The UDCID could be used to exploit a race condition that would provide an attacker with unauthorized access.” continues the advisory. “For a student, the attacker could drop them from their courses, reject financial aid, change their personal information, etc. For a professor, this could lead to an inability to manage their courses, allow a malicious student to put in false final grades, etc. For an administrator, an attacker could change users information, place false holds on student accounts, etc.”

The company recommends implementing reCAPTCHA capabilities to the admission process.

This link's a bit better

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2019/07/19/ellucian-banner-security-flaw-highlighted-education-department

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 30, 2019

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Volmarias posted:

There are Secured Credit cards, where you make a small refundable deposit then can draw against it via the card. It's like a debit card but worse, but builds a history of being able to repay your credits and with effectively no risk for the bank.

If you're a child with parents who aren't broke, you can just have Daddy cosign any card they would issue him, iirc. Then presto you have an immediate prebuilt road to credit, thanks to generational wealth!

there are some banks, like capital one, that deal in the subprime market and give cards with very low limits to people with no or very bad credit, or at least they used to, so they can start or rebuild their credit history

the real bs is that your credit score can also impact things that have nothing to do with loan repayment like your car insurance rate, and having no credit can be worse than bad credit in these situations

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
psst this is the security fuckup thread, not the finance and credit one

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
‘No way to prevent this’, Says Only Development Community Where This Regularly Happens

https://medium.com/@nimelrian/no-way-to-prevent-this-says-only-development-community-where-this-regularly-happens-8ef59e6836de

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

yep im here

- no security - our old military communications satellites were like this. Absolutely no way to control. Thinking is that you could run crypto on top for the actual data, and you did not want there to be a shutdown code AT ALL because what if the commies got it. These are still usable today if you can suss out the uplink and downlink freqs, and are the satellites that Vice or Wired or whoever write stories about BRAZILIAN PIRATES SENDING SLOW SCAN TV ON MILITARY SATELLITES.
- modest security - Most ham satellites are like this. One of the few waivers we get for the "no crypto on the airwaves" clause is to secure control communications on ground to satellite links. So, most ham birds do have a way to be turned off and on from the ground securely. Of course, all the voice and data we actually relay through them is in the clear and you're welcome to listen, but it's not the most exciting thing - just dudes yelling their callsign and Maidenhead grid square and "QSL" then on to the next contact.
- Modern mil/spy poo poo - no way you're getting any useful data from these, but it's fun to tune into the carrier signals and watch them Doppler across your screen

the NOAA satellites around 137 MHz are super easy to get into because they're nuclear powered or something and have super high powered transmitters, and the decode software is easily available. Realtime maps, yo.

- Two inexpensive VHF+UHF tv antennas off Amazon - something that looks like this, not something that looks like this.

pre:
+-+-|-|---|-|-+-+
        |
        |
Combine them with a splitter, get that pole outside and aim them so that they're north/south. You don't need to angle them up because horizon and low altitudes are where you need most gain. A wet piece of spaghetti will pick up a satellite directly overhead. You aim em N/S because most birds are in a polar orbit so they will come in either north to south, or south to north. The back to back and N/S setup means that you don't need rotators to actually chase the satellites. Downside is that signal strengths are a little bit lower than with a real aimed setup.

Then start tuning around the 225-400 MHz range for mil satellites, 135-138 for NOAA or 145.8-146.0 and 435-438 MHz for hams. You'll find all sorts of data transmissions and voice squawks.

A quality post

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have an internal site that I'm hosting in azure blob storage but I can't actually limit access to it because the "whitelist microsoft services" button doesn't include azure devops.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Shame Boy posted:

it's primarily a mechanism to deny things to minorities in a way that doesn't look discriminatory so it doesn't need to mean anything

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i have good credit. sometimes i think "i'm gonna shop around for a credit card".

it's hosed up that i have to look for a way to _spend_ money with rebates rather than _save_ (accumulate) money

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Security Fuckup Megathread: don't go to jail plz

Security Fuckup Megathread: Im like > ipredator > tor > s3 on all this poo poo

or maybe just

Security Fuckup Megathread: wa wa wa wa, wa wa wa wawaaaaaaaaaaa

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

yep im here

pre:
+-+-|-|---|-|-+-+
        |
        |

Nice. I'm gonna try this. I already use GNUradio with my RTL-SDR, and can decode NOAA satellite maps.

Thanks for the quality post!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shame Boy posted:

Security Fuckup Megathread: Im like > ipredator > tor > s3 on all this poo poo

fits, do it

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Trabisnikof posted:

and hackers got into the dsn in 2018 so maybe we will get our first interplanetary pwn

pwn stars

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hhahahaha how dumb you have to be to post haul from a major hack to your legit personal github?

mystes
May 31, 2006

quote:

An AWS spokesman confirmed that the company’s cloud had stored the Capital One data that was stolen, and said it wasn’t accessed through a breach or vulnerability in AWS systems. Prosecutors alleged that the access to the bank data came through a misconfigured firewall protecting one of its applications.
Was there really a "firewall" or was this not even really a hack and the s3 buckets were just misconfigured to allow pubic access?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

mystes posted:

Was there really a "firewall" or was this not even really a hack and the s3 buckets were just misconfigured to allow pubic access?

why not both?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

mystes posted:

"firewall" is probably lawyer-speaking-to-jury-speak for "access control"

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
someone left 22 open to the world on an edge security group

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

hhahahaha how dumb you have to be to post haul from a major hack to your legit personal github?

uh he used multiple proxies connected together, i think you'll find it's impossible to trace his ip address even if you had a gui interface in visual basic :colbert:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mystes posted:

the "firewall" was "misconfigured" to allow internal access

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

mystes posted:

The affidavit is actually worth reading. They're claiming she accessed an internal system that wasn't supposed to be publicly exposed, then pivoted from there to using the access on that system to pull from their (otherwise properly configured) buckets.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Shame Boy posted:

uh he used multiple proxies connected together, i think you'll find it's impossible to trace his ip address even if you had a gui interface in visual basic :colbert:

And the system didn't automatically reroute the ports when it detected an intruder trying to break in?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
good thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

infernal machines posted:

the "firewall" was "misconfigured" to allow internal access

Volmarias posted:

The affidavit is actually worth reading. They're claiming she accessed an internal system that wasn't supposed to be publicly exposed, then pivoted from there to using the access on that system to pull from their (otherwise properly configured) buckets.
Thanks. That still may not be ideal from a security perspective, but at least they hadn't just made it publicly available from s3 (in which case the focus on a supposed "hack" rather than purely on Capital One's incompetence would arguably be a bit misplaced).