Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Catstrator seems cool but his videos are so long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

hayden. posted:

I wonder if they manage minimum wage for the ATC though.

Yep. Also, not only are the controllers paid but they are scheduled. VATSIM is great (all of the PE staff have significant VATSIM ATC and leadership experience and Keith and I were both on the Board of Governors) but it's really annoying to try and do training with volunteer ATC that aren't on when you want to fly. PE is open 15x7 and offers a consistent staffing experience during that time.

Because of that, we also can do things like use all real-world frequencies instead of needing a list of controllers online with fake freqs, and lots of other little things.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

hayden. posted:

His personality hasn't changed since college fwiw.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Got my extension kit from VKB. Now I just need the custom mount from the machinist and I'll have one less excuse for being bad at hovering :swoon:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

hayden. posted:

Most of his videos are 2 whole flights, with a fair amount of dead time before. The reason I recommended him is that he shows literally everything he does in a flight, including setup, so you get a chance to see how you would interact with a plane. More importantly, he interacts with both VATSIM and PilotEdge controllers and you can really see the reason Pilotedge is a pay service. Just watch the startup, departure and approaches and skip the cruises.

The Arab!
May 22, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyBeRmOLnBA
Good video analyzing the graphics in the FS11 trailer.
If you don't want to watch a 50 minute version of a two minute trailer you've already seen he basically says they're using photogrammetry where it's available and hand modeled 'hero' objects where photogrammetry would not be acceptable (space needle, golden gate bridge), places where photogrammetry is not available would get the classic DEM heightmap + generic buildings and trees placed where they belong according to GIS data. The hangar shot made it clear they were showing off raytracing tech. He noted from the elephant animations that they would have had to implement soft-body animations which are traditionally absent from flight simulators and would be useful for strut bending and tire deformation. Some of the cockpit shots seemed to indicate that they were using a procedurally generated material system rather than the typical pixel textures, probably to save texture memory for the console port.

Cedhed
Feb 27, 2006
Whee!
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS for $300 from Wal-Mart

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Thrustmaster-Hotas-Warthog-Gaming-Accessory-Kit-Throttle-Stick-2960720/15268503

Why are things always the cheapest when I'm flat broke :argh:

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Now he's pointed it out in that unnecessarily-long video (why didn't he make notes beforehand?) it's obvious the photogrammetry and a lot of the aerial imagery in the trailer is identical to what's already in the Bing Maps Windows 10 app right now, minus things like AI traffic and the 'hero' structures - you can't see the 3D stuff on the website but the imagery is the same in terms of quality. Which is going to be interesting because most of it is old, some of it is shocking and despite being very selective in the trailer, unless they've got a secret update rollout planned or hundreds of employees there's nothing they can do. The whole thing seems strange unless it's a VR showcase which they specifically haven't mentioned... Microsoft seem like they gave up on Bing Maps a year or two ago, the only area it isn't vastly behind Google are the 'birds eye' 45-degree photos and that & their ancient streeview can't be used in MSFS!

Palm tree spikes

They'll probably sort the big bridges but good luck with stunt flying under/through anything small enough to be challenging

Forever gloomy in Los Angeles

Low cloud in Glacier Park - but just for that patch. I looked this one up the other day because Google's version was so impressive but I didn't think Bing would be this bad

The CBD of the most populous city in Australia, which is very much not in 3D - it's not even that hilly, that's just noise from the actual skyscrapers. I sure hope those automatic buildings are impressive...

I'm honestly a lot less interested now. I'm not the most serious simmer, so unless the rest of the experience is fantastic, I may as well just tool around in Google Earth.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Man, I got the 767 per recommendation above and it is solidly the “TBM” of tubeliners. It even supports its own arguably better VR control scheme. I’m gonna throw on a long flight tomorrow and clean my house during cruise. Real excited to get into that poo poo.

It’s on sale, a little, right now. $50 if you don’t want the -200 or the freighter.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Bing Maps 3D looks like dogshit compared to Google Earth.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Man, I got the 767 per recommendation above and it is solidly the “TBM” of tubeliners. It even supports its own arguably better VR control scheme.

Very cool, just to confirm, this is the FlightFactor 767 in Xplane? and it fully supports interacting with switches/knobs with VR controllers? I’ve been looking for a suitable large jet to go along with the excellent Zibo 737. Having a blast flying that thing almost entirely with VR controllers. (just using the mouse for FMS setup and physical yoke/throttles, since the lack of touch feedback in VR makes those awkward).

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

CaptainEO posted:

Very cool, just to confirm, this is the FlightFactor 767 in Xplane? and it fully supports interacting with switches/knobs with VR controllers? I’ve been looking for a suitable large jet to go along with the excellent Zibo 737. Having a blast flying that thing almost entirely with VR controllers. (just using the mouse for FMS setup and physical yoke/throttles, since the lack of touch feedback in VR makes those awkward).

It is. So, I haven’t fully worked out the new control scheme in VR because I didn’t have time to rebind the custom controls and poo poo but it seems like it’s attempting a more intelligent way of using the thumbstick for knobs and poo poo instead of manually turning them with the virtual controller. It definitely seems better, but I’m still very much in the honeymoon of touching buttons for the first time and haven’t got it off the ground with a flight plan and everything yet. It doesn’t seem to be any more taxing than another plane while on the ground, and that’s at Boston Logan, which is much larger and more detailed than what I usually fly from. Again, preliminary opinion, but it seems optimized.

My first impression is that it feels like a premium version of the Zibo which already feels pretty premium. I really would have liked the A330 or A350 so I had an airbus just for variety, but from what I’ve heard they don’t stack up to this level.

Also the sale ends tomorrow, FYI. I don’t know about anyone else but $50 is about the pain point for payware for me, so this sale was just enough to make it worth it.

...but I also got Worldtraffic 3 and will pick up Pilot2ATC which I found hits a good balance of “letting me pause, gently caress up, or completely miss transmissions because I walked away” with decent ATC. They don’t play as perfect as you might want together, but good enough that it adds a lot. What’s nice is that I think barring new releases of payware, I don’t think there’s anything else I desperately want. I think I basically managed to get a mostly perfect sim experience for me, with any plane “class” I’d want to fly for like, no more than a couple hundred dollars spread out over six months. Not bad considering how ridiculous sim poo poo can get.

A version 2.0 Flight factor 777 could get it though, just because I have a soft spot for the plane and know a couple engineers IRL that worked on third party components of it, which makes it feel cool.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I love VR. I love tubeliners and longhaul. But I can't see myself wearing my headset for 6 hours.

Cedhed posted:

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS for $300 from Wal-Mart

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Thrustmaster-Hotas-Warthog-Gaming-Accessory-Kit-Throttle-Stick-2960720/15268503

Why are things always the cheapest when I'm flat broke :argh:

If it helps, it isn't anymore.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

I love VR. I love tubeliners and longhaul. But I can't see myself wearing my headset for 6 hours.

I probably don’t wear it more than 45 minutes consecutively. Probably the longest period is descent into approach and landing. Generally once I get a tube liner set to cruise I’ll just pop by for a few minutes and check systems. There’s absolutely a chance everything blew up, but hey. It’s a good time to do chores.

Cedhed
Feb 27, 2006
Whee!

If it helps, it isn't anymore.

I have impeccable timing. The sale must have ended just after I posted it. Sorry about that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MS posted an update on the fsi site and it says they're paying lots of attention to what's being said on the AVSim forums, so the game's probably hosed and when you boot it up a genuine 737 will immediately crash into your house.

They did kinda-confirm no subscription fees though. Also next update is going to involve FSX somehow?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 30, 2019

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

MikeJF posted:

They did kinda-confirm no subscription fees though. Also next update is going to involve FSX somehow?

They will announce that the new sim is still built on the same FSX codebase inherited from the 90s with no improvements except graphics. AVSim users will cheer.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

lobsterminator posted:

They will announce that the new sim is still built on the same FSX codebase inherited from the 90s with no improvements except graphics. AVSim users will cheer.

PMDG will still charge full price for the "updated" version of the 737 that is literally identical in every way.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

PMDG will still charge full price for the "updated" version of the 737 that is literally identical in every way.

Nuh-uh! They're going to have to go through their reference texture library and scale down to a completely different resolution — that could be thousands of pixels each! Do you have any idea how long that takes in Photoshop?! :colbert:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

lobsterminator posted:

Have I mentioned lately how much I resent DCS World?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
deadstick when?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thief posted:

deadstick when?

when it's done

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Also next update is going to involve FSX somehow?

lol if this new version is built on top of fsx

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Just like the real 737. :colbert:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

e.pilot posted:

:thurman:

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

e.pilot posted:

Will it be as full of bugs and crash as often?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

SuperiorColliculus posted:

Will it be as full of bugs and crash as often?

*sharp intake of breath*

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ok MS Flight Simulator super nerds, question for you

Which versions of the program were complete rewrites of the engine?

From what I can tell:

1-4: all the same engine with incremental improvements

5,6,98 etc: Added textures, this would have been a partial rewrite, not sure if it necessitated a full rewrite

2000/7: Adds 3D terrain, seems that this is the same engine that ended up becoming fsx/p3d

Seems like the asset format changes are a good place to guess where the rewrites happened but really I have no idea I'm just looking at screenshots and the Wikipedia page

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Ok MS Flight Simulator super nerds, question for you

Which versions of the program were complete rewrites of the engine?

From what I can tell:

1-4: all the same engine with incremental improvements

5,6,98 etc: Added textures, this would have been a partial rewrite, not sure if it necessitated a full rewrite

2000/7: Adds 3D terrain, seems that this is the same engine that ended up becoming fsx/p3d

Seems like the asset format changes are a good place to guess where the rewrites happened but really I have no idea I'm just looking at screenshots and the Wikipedia page

Don't have an answer, but I assume at some point there was a change from C to C++. I would guess it might have been 2000/7. Maybe 98.

That would count as a full rewrite to me, even though they could use some same code.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I know 5 until 98 is pretty much the same engine, 2000 another, 2002-2004, and then X/Prepar3D.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
There are slight differences in technology between FSX and P3D; if nothing else, the former's graphics are D3D9, the latter D3D11. P3Dv4 is 64 bit and has native VR support. Not sure how much of a rewrite this was.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Matt Wagner will you be my date to the Air Force Ball?!

https://youtu.be/8QfANpD0GHY

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Julius CSAR posted:

Matt Wagner will you be my date to the Air Force Ball?!

https://youtu.be/8QfANpD0GHY

"Some of you will hold in your hands the most awesome destructive power which any nation or any man has conceived."

B83 nuclear bomb confirmed?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

P3Dv4 is 64 bit and has native VR support. Not sure how much of a rewrite this was.

I wasn't aware of these points. Does it run decently well in VR, or is it like X-Plane and DCS where a beefy PC still chugs along because the engines are optimized for AMD Athlon or some poo poo?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Yeah, I'm trying to get into xplane 11 and it runs like dogshit. Especially in VR. You read all of these reviews where people are saying it looks "amazing" and I don't know what game they are playing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

X-Plane for me is bizarre because sometimes it runs perfectly smooth with maximum settings until it suddenly doesn't. Like one minute I'll be getting 70fps and then I'll move the mouse weird and it'll lag down to 15 for a few seconds and then boom right back to 70. It's clearly not a hardware problem but the only troubleshooting suggestions you'll find will be mega basic poo poo like "try updating your graphics drivers" :shrug:

I have it working smoothly now but I couldn't tell you what I did to make it that way, and every time I install it on a new computer it's the same process over again.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The manual's info on framerate is gold.

quote:

19 fps is terrible and barely adequate to run the simulator.

25 to 35 fps is the ideal range. Higher frame rates indicate the computer isn’t rendering with as much detail as it could.

50 fps is very high and indicates that the system could probably draw more buildings, clouds, and other objects.

Even with detail on maximum, the world is very sparse. I think the engine just performs badly and this is the excuse they give. :shrug:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yep. I mean you wanna talk about old engines, I'm sure that X-Plane 11.35 still has code from X-Plane Classic (1995, Mac only) rattling around in Austin's ~blade-element theory~ engine.

It's better than Prepar4D or FSX and I appreciate that there is a really well done C152 but it's definitely janky.

This is why I am really hoping that Microsoft has thrown out all the old FSX code and started to build something genuinely new. It's time that the flight sim community lets the old poo poo go and makes a fresh start.

(lol)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Did I read back in the day that you used to work on FSX or am I thinking about someone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Somebody else. I've built some X-Plane planes and made a lot of paint jobs for various sims but that's it.