Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Another fun season in the best division approaches.

Arizona Cardinals

2018 record: 3-13
Vegas win over/under: 5.5
Head coach: Kliff Kingsbury
Starting QB: Kyler Murray

12 months ago the Cardinals were breaking in a new head coach and 1st-round rookie QB. This year they are ... breaking in a new head coach and 1st-round rookie QB. Yes, the Steve Wilks era was such a disaster they immediately pulled the plug and called a mulligan on the whole thing, shipping Josh Rosen to Miami and drafting Murray to pair him with Air Raid boy wizard Kingsbury. Surely this will bring a new era of prosperity and offensive firepower the likes of which the NFL has never seen before (please ignore that Kingsbury got fired from his beloved alma mater for sucking rear end). Will they be good? Probably not this year. Will they be interesting? Hopefully!

Los Angeles Rams

2018 record: 13-3
Vegas win over/under: 10
Head coach: Sean McVay
Starting QB: Jared Goff

Year 2 under McVay was a smashing success, as the Rams rode an explosive offense and creative playcalling all the way to the Super Bowl. And then Bill Belichick pantsed McVay in front of God and the whole world while Todd Gurley's knees slowly turned to ash. Despite that sour end to the year, the Rams are once again strong favorites to win the division and make a deep playoff run. How much Gurley can hold up is probably the biggest question mark, and the Rams made sure to hedge their bets, matching Detroit's RFA tender to keep Malcolm Brown and drafting trendy speedster Darrell Henderson in the third round. Either way, this team arguably has something to prove after that Super Bowl wet fart, and they certainly won't be coasting on their laurels. They're still a dangerous contender.

San Francisco 49ers

2018 record: 4-12
Vegas win over/under: 8
Head coach: Kyle Shanahan
Starting QB: Jimmy Garoppolo

The Niners entered 2018 as the hottest playoff hopeful in the league, but like most Bay Area startups, everything went to to poo poo right out of the gates. A handful of major injuries, most notably Jimmy G, quickly exposed a thin roster as Santa Clara sleepwalked through another lost season. Jimmy is back healthy and they added some much-needed reinforcements such as Tevin Coleman, Kwon Alexander, and Jason Verrett. It wouldn't be surprising if Garoppolo and the Niners made a post-hype surge this year, but it's now three years into the Shanny/John Lynch era and we're still waiting for them to turn promise into tangible results.

Seattle Seahawks

2018 record: 10-6
Vegas win over/under: 9
Head coach: Pete Carroll
Starting QB: Russell Wilson

Many people expected 2018 to be a rebuilding year after the Seahawks gutted the Legion of Boom core. You can find receipts all over Seahawks Twitter if you dare. Instead, they outplayed expectations and returned to the playoffs after sitting out 2017, only to get out-established by Zeke Elliott and the Cowboys. This offseason, the main narrative was once again letting core pieces go. Earl Thomas hosed off in free agency as everyone expected, while Doug Baldwin retired due to injuries. At least Russ and Bobby Wagner got their big shiny contracts. They were relatively quiet in free agency, with the biggest additions being a perpetually-injured Ziggy Ansah and a 48-year-old Mike Iupati. Their most notable draft pick was D.K. Metcalf, a walking M.U.S.C.L.E figure who may or may not know what a route tree is, but can run in a straight line like nobody's business.

Nine wins feels almost generous for a team that arguably wasn't as good as 10-6 last year. But with Russ Bullshit and the run established, anything is possible.

Division titles

49ers -- 19
Rams -- 17
Seahawks -- 8
Cardinals -- 3

Super Bowl appearances (winning years in bold)

49ers -- 6 (1981, 1984, 1988, 1989, 1994, 2012)
Rams -- 4 (1979, 1999, 2001, 2018)
Seahawks -- 3 (2005, 2013, 2014)
Cardinals -- 1 (2008)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I don't understand why division titles and appearances prior to the creation of the true NFC West in 2002 were included in the OP. Please adjust for the fact that Seattle owns this division. Thank you.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Some stuff that deserves to be preserved from the previous thread.

DariusLikewise posted:

After review of the data I have determined there is one NFL division that is more committed to establishing the run than all others

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Only the run is real

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
RUN

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

nice op, op

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'd establish the run too

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Stealing the idea from the AFCE thread, I did a search for ___ fan and have decided to post my favorite results:

(sry for the doxx, spoeank)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

seiferguy posted:

Stealing the idea from the AFCE thread, I did a search for ___ fan and have decided to post my favorite results:

Ftfy

Play
Apr 25, 2006

that's just sad

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Love 2 have no defensive line :whitewater:

Not a big deal that the top draft pick is missing preseason, no sirree

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

seiferguy posted:

That's not a fan, lol.

He's a team equipment guy, iirc.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

I have a problem with Goff being #32 in the player's top 100 when Buckner doesn't even look like he's on the list at all.

Really makes me want to abandon the Run

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

MakaVillian posted:

I have a problem with Goff being #32 in the player's top 100 when Buckner doesn't even look like he's on the list at all.

Really makes me want to abandon the Run

How about Quentin Nelson not even being on the list? That's just disrespectful.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

seiferguy posted:

this is actually me_irl

https://gfycat.com/GrouchyDisloyalBlackfly

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/vinnybonsignore/status/1156334443679764481?s=21

Nation played well last year but having Ricky Proehls son make the team would be cool

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
:schotty:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1156254455030935552

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

went to training camp. isabella is my jaron brown footwork champion of 2019, he was juking and jiving out there. larry still looks like a natural. murray has crisp throws and is a bit slow after the first few reads. didn't see a whole lot of kanoff but i'd keep hundley as the only backup.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Lmao he's in his 30s too. Every since I turned 30 my recovery from casual gym going has noticeably diminished. Shame Ethan pocic sucks rear end

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Chichevache posted:

How about Quentin Nelson not even being on the list? That's just disrespectful.

Amazing that players are somehow worse than talking heads at this stuff

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Anyone wants to see me, just look for all the suicidal Niners fans in old Draw Play comics.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
We have an NFL Top 100 thread now.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3895099

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

MakaVillian posted:

Amazing that players are somehow worse than talking heads at this stuff

Philip Lindsay and Mark Ingram made the list though. loving stupid.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

quote:

Fitzgerald told former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner on NFL Network that Murray has taken over Arizona’s offense like no quarterback before him.

“I’ve never seen a quarterback come in so quickly and be able to command an offense,” Fitzgerald said. “I mean, from Day 1, he’s out there checking the different plays, sliding the line, different protections, getting us in screens when blitzes are coming. His understanding of the offense is crazy. I mean, from Day One. I think that’s going to give us a great advantage, to play fast from the first preseason game all the way to the start of the regular season and giving him the keys to the car and letting him is going to be great for us.”

can't read this as anything but incredible shade cast at rosen

Play
Apr 25, 2006

hifi posted:

can't read this as anything but incredible shade cast at rosen

Rosen was literally talking in Dolphins camp the other day about correctly identifying the Mike when teams would try to obscure who it was. That's a fairly basic skill for quarterbacks to have. He didn't do a lot of NFL things at UCLA, he's not a 10th of the athlete that Murray is and honestly most teams got the right idea when they realized he wasn't an early first round quarterback. So I'm not too surprised Larry would feel this way, he definitely wouldn't have enjoyed last season and all its incompetence at his age

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Play posted:

Rosen was literally talking in Dolphins camp the other day about correctly identifying the Mike when teams would try to obscure who it was. That's a fairly basic skill for quarterbacks to have. He didn't do a lot of NFL things at UCLA, he's not a 10th of the athlete that Murray is and honestly most teams got the right idea when they realized he wasn't an early first round quarterback. So I'm not too surprised Larry would feel this way, he definitely wouldn't have enjoyed last season and all its incompetence at his age

jesus that's bad

https://twitter.com/schadjoe/status/1156281861271904262

I wonder if that was just a complete blind spot in the scouting process though, you have the guy whiteboard poo poo and he's talking about the play design and how receivers rub and you get natural picks and you throw it to the open guy, or just simple counting guys and there's 5 on the LOS and 2 right behind them so you're going to have to throw hot and by the end of the interview you're impressed with his knowledge but it's a complete zero in terms of calling protections and nobody thought to ask. That might be the hidden "QBs can't take a snap under center anymore" type development flaw.

But on the flip side, is it really a big issue? It seems like that's the type of thing you can rep a hundred of after practice with a VR helmet and there's tons of rules of thumbs that QB coaches and veteran backups can (should) help you with. Or maybe just have your center handle it, it was supposed to be AQ shipley for a while who's old and supposedly smart. Maybe that's a bigger piece of why they were so bad when the OL got hurt, not necessarily from physical blocking issues but mental blocking pre-snap preparations. Although they had the entire preseason to figure out they needed a center or teach rosen that skill so I dunno.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

hifi posted:

jesus that's bad

https://twitter.com/schadjoe/status/1156281861271904262

I wonder if that was just a complete blind spot in the scouting process though, you have the guy whiteboard poo poo and he's talking about the play design and how receivers rub and you get natural picks and you throw it to the open guy, or just simple counting guys and there's 5 on the LOS and 2 right behind them so you're going to have to throw hot and by the end of the interview you're impressed with his knowledge but it's a complete zero in terms of calling protections and nobody thought to ask. That might be the hidden "QBs can't take a snap under center anymore" type development flaw.

But on the flip side, is it really a big issue? It seems like that's the type of thing you can rep a hundred of after practice with a VR helmet and there's tons of rules of thumbs that QB coaches and veteran backups can (should) help you with. Or maybe just have your center handle it, it was supposed to be AQ shipley for a while who's old and supposedly smart. Maybe that's a bigger piece of why they were so bad when the OL got hurt, not necessarily from physical blocking issues but mental blocking pre-snap preparations. Although they had the entire preseason to figure out they needed a center or teach rosen that skill so I dunno.

It's not necessarily a huge issue, especially because the center is often tasked with identifying the mike. But it is a kind of shocking oversight, the QB should absolutely still be able to do it when called upon and I'm surprised he didn't learn it last year, although maybe that was just not a high priority based on all the other stuff they needed to teach him.

I just think Rosen didn't really look like a good quarterback even when taking the team into account. To me his ceiling is Andy Dalton until demonstrated otherwise, and I was pushing for the Cardinals to take Kyler back when people thought that was absolutely crazy. I'm not saying Kyler's a sure thing, but he's got that special something that makes you think he could be.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

sure, although cards fans would loving love andy dalton if they drafted him and kept him for his entire career

Play
Apr 25, 2006

hifi posted:

sure, although cards fans would loving love andy dalton if they drafted him and kept him for his entire career

right, but rosen's got a long way to go before he's even andy dalton, if he ever gets there at all. he should probably start by dyeing his hair

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

I think it is becoming more apparent that they Cards don;t know what they are going to get with Murray but know he is dynamic. They probably know what they would have gotten with Rosen after all this stuff coming out. And if I am new coach I'm going to live or die by my own personel choices rather than the choices of the complete abject failure of a coach who came before me

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
:schotty:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I am reminded that Goff looked absolutely terrible his first year, too. Coaching counts for a lot, and so does getting a year of NFL play under your belt.

That doesn't mean Rosen isn't a bust; I just think a ton of QBs, even legit high draft pick ones, need a year or even two years before they're actually ready.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
How did Peyton look in his first year? I know they wen't like 0-16 but I presume he went okay?

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

algebra testes posted:

How did Peyton look in his first year? I know they wen't like 0-16 but I presume he went okay?

Threw a ton of interceptions.

Leperflesh posted:

I am reminded that Goff looked absolutely terrible his first year, too. Coaching counts for a lot, and so does getting a year of NFL play under your belt.

That doesn't mean Rosen isn't a bust; I just think a ton of QBs, even legit high draft pick ones, need a year or even two years before they're actually ready.

Rosen got a raw deal in Arizona and I felt bad for him. I think he can be a good QB in this league with the right team and the right coaching.

I really hope Wilks and his staff didn't end his career before it was able to get started.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Rosen isn’t even going to beat 99 year old Fitzpatrick for the starting job. Murray will lead the Cardinals to a Super Bowl win against the browns. Book it.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

It’s perfect, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Apparently Rams are running a ton of 2TE/2WR/1RB sets in camp, hopefully working towards the goal of further establishing the run