Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

I haven't seen Dagon since release and thought it sucked. Worth a revisit?

it's not top-tier Stuart Gordon but i think there's a lot to like in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Clearly the triple feature to slot The Lighthouse in is Ghost Ship / Virus / Deep Rising

but which classic gets cut?

Uh Deep Rising is always safe in that question.

Always.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

I haven't seen Dagon since release and thought it sucked. Worth a revisit?

It's good if you can get past the PS2 quality cg.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Ghost Ship sucks rear end aside from the opening scene

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ghost Ship sucks and the opening never really did anything for me. I mean, its better than the movie but I recently rewatched it just because of the thread and I was very "meh" about it.

But then I just watched the rest of the film because of a pretty good cast and man its so bad.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Ghost Ship commits the ultimate sin of a haunted house flick; it's boring as gently caress.

Looking at you, Haunting remake.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Ghost ship is boring as gently caress, just like every haunted house movie.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Uh, excuse me, House On Haunted Hill '99 would like a word

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Tart Kitty posted:

Uh, excuse me, House On Haunted Hill '99 would like a word

Chris Kattan is the unironic best part of that movie and it baffles me every time I remember that

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Chris Kattan is the unironic best part of that movie and it baffles me every time I remember that

"Wait 'til somebody lets out the Darkness in this place. That's a whole... that's a whole new bunch of crazy poo poo. That's... you'll hate that poo poo."

Haunted Hill '99 is a blast.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Snack Bitch posted:

How dare you

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Snack Bitch posted:

just like every haunted house movie.

disagree

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Snack Bitch posted:

:eyepop: that's quite the hot take

I mean Ghost Ship does suck but some of the best horror films of all time are haunted house movies:

The Haunting
The Innocents
The Changeling
Hausu
The Devil's Backbone

among others

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I watched Ghost Ship on Netflix a few months back and yeah it blows it's load in the beginning. It's boring as gently caress, and they really should have just ripped off Alien

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

flashy_mcflash posted:

I love that part of the Dark Tower books and they humanize Roland in a way that I think is important. The problem with DT is that there's maybe one good book's worth of material after Waste Lands. Two, max.

The 4th book is the best one. Also, Keyhole is great as well.

Also, the ending is good. The issues with the book have nothing to do with the ending, and that has more to do with people not being able to parse their gut feelings into the actual reasons *why* they feel that way and just pick one random issue as the problem with a narrative.

The big issue with the Dark Tower books is that Stephen King got hit by a truck and changed his entire outlook 3/4 of the way through the series. Wolves of the Calla got goofy-meta, but still progressed pretty much at the same pace as the rest of the series, but book 6 was one of the worst books he ever wrote and was a complete tonal shift. After he survived the car accident, he started focusing on his own mortality far too much and went on a whole "evil is toothless and everything is actually mundane" kick, so he rushed an ending because he thought he'd die before finishing, and the last two books came from that mindset, which was entirely against the spirit of series that the younger King started.

The ending is pretty much the natural ending one would come to from reading the first 4 or so books, but stuff like "Mordred died from poisoning himself and Crimson King is dead instead of a final showdown EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, erase him Danville, is all King being in a bad spot and writing from there, and it destroys the last two books (especially 6).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

gey muckle mowser posted:

I mean Ghost Ship does suck but some of the best horror films of all time are haunted house movies:

The Haunting
The Innocents
The Changeling
Hausu
The Devil's Backbone

among others

Hausu is the only good haunted house movie. It's just really hard for me to get past the conceit that ghosts have nothing better to do except troll people in super lame ways before being slightly less lame towards the end. I have the same issue with possession movies that aren't super layered like The Exorcist; there's a lot of "does this demon have anything better to do with their time?"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I loved Wizard and Glass, and for some reason I never finished the Wolves of the Calla.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Darko posted:

The 4th book is the best one. Also, Keyhole is great as well.

Also, the ending is good. The issues with the book have nothing to do with the ending, and that has more to do with people not being able to parse their gut feelings into the actual reasons *why* they feel that way and just pick one random issue as the problem with a narrative.

The big issue with the Dark Tower books is that Stephen King got hit by a truck and changed his entire outlook 3/4 of the way through the series. Wolves of the Calla got goofy-meta, but still progressed pretty much at the same pace as the rest of the series, but book 6 was one of the worst books he ever wrote and was a complete tonal shift. After he survived the car accident, he started focusing on his own mortality far too much and went on a whole "evil is toothless and everything is actually mundane" kick, so he rushed an ending because he thought he'd die before finishing, and the last two books came from that mindset, which was entirely against the spirit of series that the younger King started.

The ending is pretty much the natural ending one would come to from reading the first 4 or so books, but stuff like "Mordred died from poisoning himself and Crimson King is dead instead of a final showdown EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, erase him Danville, is all King being in a bad spot and writing from there, and it destroys the last two books (especially 6).

My single biggest criticism with the post-accident books is the complete failure of Mordred as an antagonist. It’s completely rushed with him killing Flagg used as a lame sacrifice to build cred in fast order.

The not-Pennywise laugh vampire was pulled off far better in comparison, and that was basically a plot hurdle.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Darko posted:

Hausu is the only good haunted house movie. It's just really hard for me to get past the conceit that ghosts have nothing better to do except troll people in super lame ways before being slightly less lame towards the end. I have the same issue with possession movies that aren't super layered like The Exorcist; there's a lot of "does this demon have anything better to do with their time?"

Ghosts are just assholes, just like geese. It’s just a fact of life.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Tart Kitty posted:

My single biggest criticism with the post-accident books is the complete failure of Mordred as an antagonist. It’s completely rushed with him killing Flagg used as a lame sacrifice to build cred in fast order.

Yea this is really what I was referring to about the last book or two, there are problems there that I think don't have much to do with the actual ending. Mordred and the Crimson King really didn't have the ends that they deserved based on how much they'd been built up. Like you said, Mordred is an issue mostly because his insignificance ends up reflecting on Flagg, who is maybe the best villain King ever wrote. And the Crimson King was just such a keystone to this entire interconnected universe that King created across so many books and to make him an almost purposeful anti-climax was a big mistake.

If anything I thought the ending, although not perfect, somewhat redeemed that stuff and made it so I wasn't finishing the series on a completely sour note.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 31, 2019

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Darko posted:

I believe ghosts are like dogs and they just sort of do things arbitrarily

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The inky-black underwater shots from The Lighthouse trailer are loving amazing. It reminds me of some older movies but I can’t put my finger on it. Obviously Creature From The Black Lagoon but there’s something else too that has scenes that look like like.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

So I think I'm into Jean Rollin's films.

It's been awhile since I watched Fascination but I remember enjoying it. Last night I checked out The Nude Vampire and liked it a lot. Both films have an eerie dreamlike quality that I really enjoy.

What should I watch next?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

NienNunb posted:

I believe ghosts are like dogs and they just sort of do things arbitrarily

Drunkboxer posted:

Ghosts are just assholes, just like geese. It’s just a fact of life.

I generally agree with the idea that ghosts are just stuck here so they're bored assholes.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

CRAYON posted:

So I think I'm into Jean Rollin's films.

It's been awhile since I watched Fascination but I remember enjoying it. Last night I checked out The Nude Vampire and liked it a lot. Both films have an eerie dreamlike quality that I really enjoy.

What should I watch next?

The Living Dead Girl is my favorite. I also liked Shiver of the Vampires and Requiem for a Vampire a lot.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

I generally agree with the idea that ghosts are just stuck here so they're bored assholes.

I don't believe in ghosts but a scarier idea would be that they're just unthinking remnants of a fading consciousness. An ethereal zombie, if you will.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
The Lighthouse looks amazing, Robert Pattinson is on a loving fire isn't he? High Life, Good Time, and soon he'll be Batman. I would have never in a hundred years predicted this from the sparkly dude in Twilight.

Anyone who's hyped about The Lighthouse that hasn't seen Cold Skin is doing themselves a disservice. While not written by Lovecraft, his style is stamped all over it while you are shown, not told, a strange tale concerning two men, fish people and a lighthouse.

It got a small release, but Ray Stevenson really lifted it up and made the weird fiction believable. A lesser film would have explained the supernatural elements through zooms and voiceover, but Cold Skin plays it straight and treats it's audience like adults. I wish they had explored the fish people a little more, but being left wanting in terms of the imagination is often more satisfying than being told flat out what's up.

e: I remember thinking to myself while watching, "this is just a wet I am Legend". The book, not the recent film.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

I don't believe in ghosts but a scarier idea would be that they're just unthinking remnants of a fading consciousness. An ethereal zombie, if you will.

That's great with the like "reliving their own tragedy" or "continuing their paths of terror" type of ghosts. But I think the "bored rear end in a top hat" helps to explain why some ghosts just like to gently caress with people who moved into the wrong house.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

gey muckle mowser posted:

The Haunting
The Innocents
The Changeling
Hausu
The Devil's Backbone

among others

Definitely stirring the pot, but more often than not I just don’t enjoy ghost/haunting movies. The Devil’s Backbone is good but a lot of that comes from the setting and living characters and less from the ghost. The Changeling is exactly the kind of ghost movie I don’t like. I just get so bored with ghosts doing mundane things, turning on lights, making noises etc. Give me a more supernatural horror or something deadly where there’s higher stakes for the characters.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The best haunted house story is that one Mickey Mouse cartoon where the ghosts are super bored, so they call up ghost hunters Mickey, Goofy, and Donald just to mess with them.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
There's something about the mundane buildup to a lot of hauntings that leaves me cold. I think it's supposed to make a connection between little things the ghost is doing as a preamble to little things that happen at your house WHAT IF IT'S A GHOST wouldn't that be spooky? But I don't know if there's been one example of this that overcame my nature of not believing in ghosts and worked for me.

What does work for are when the little things are reflective of the ghost's nature, or it's a habit being set up to pay off later, or it's something unnatural or gonzo that makes you confront it at face value. Like the sudden kitchen dismantling in Sixth Sense: that's an amazing scene and helps me settle into the story and what it wants to be.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's basically the whole idea of Casper's loser uncles.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the general slow buildup of haunted house stories is basically about getting past that whole "LEAVE THE HOUSE!" thing. If you woke up one day and saw all your kitchen furniture levitate and rearrange itself you'd probably freak the gently caress out and go find a friend or family member's place to stay in. The slow introduction of spooky stuff is there so that the people in the house can have stuff they just kind of dismiss or push aside so the story and tension builds until finally all hell breaks loose. Its fine if you freak out and try and run in the 2nd act to set up the 3rd, but if you did it the 1st act then the entire 2nd act of the film would be you throwing holy water at your house from a safe distance.

Which gives me an excuse to post my favorite obscure gif.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 31, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Actually this is the best ghost story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_3pkNzsnOs

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Actually this is the best ghost story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_3pkNzsnOs

Hell yes

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Non joke answer is this tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYjtxHHjZ00

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I don’t remember another movie that had a scene that got such a visceral reaction out of Scream Stream.

Unless it was killing a dog.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

All Stuart Gordon is top-tier

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Lighthouse is lookin' dope, can't wait for that one.

So The Lodge was pretty good thought the plot takes a turn for the stupid right in the middle when things are getting interesting, but there's some drat good tension that kept my rear end on edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/RealCharlesBand/status/1156595082314670082

This woman does not age