Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Retrowave Joe posted:

IIRC the first Zombieland movie was roughly the first few episodes of the show they wanted to do in the first place.

The story is that the writers wanted to do a zombie television series and wrote a spec TV pilot for CBS in 2005. CBS expressed some interest but ultimately never moved forward with filming because they thought it would be too expensive. They then pitched it to Sony TV whose executives were receptive but suggested the project would work better as a made-for-TV movie that could serve as a backdoor pilot to a larger series. They redeveloped the script as a made-for-TV movie, which Sony TV held onto for a few years before sending it back with the suggestion that they redevelop that script as a feature film for Sony Pictures.

A lot of the weirder elements from the film were written with a television series in mind. If I remember correctly, each episode was meant to open with a "Zombie Kill of the Week" and end with Eisenberg's character learning another rule for zombie survival. The biggest change from the TV script to the final film was giving the characters a specific destination instead of having them just wander aimlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Seems like 'TV Execs' should shut the gently caress up

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Does this count as a trailer (for JoJo Rabbit)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2U492RhXwQ

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 27, 2019

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The Peccadillo posted:

Didn't they already try do a Zombieland TV show? Imagine those angry execs fuming about having an unsuccessful zombie franchise several years ago, and slamming a Zombieland 2 into production, out of what is basically spiteful apathy

The cast loved making the first one (as tends to go with horror-comedies) and Fleischer is also directing this one right off of Venom, so this might be a big "one for me" for the talent before Fleischer presumably dips back into the symbiote well for another go-round.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sony wants to start filming Venom 2 in a few months so they are looking at replacements already. Andy Serkis is the top pick, but also Travis Knight of Laika Studios and Bumblebee fame and Rupert Wyatt who worked with Andy Serkis on his first modern Planet of The Apes movie.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Retrowave Joe posted:

IIRC the first Zombieland movie was roughly the first few episodes of the show they wanted to do in the first place.
It's not even roughly. If you check the clock at the 44 minute mark of Zombieland there is this really clear ending of the first episode. They just took a pilot and added on some other stuff.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The MSJ posted:

Sony wants to start filming Venom 2 in a few months so they are looking at replacements already. Andy Serkis is the top pick, but also Travis Knight of Laika Studios and Bumblebee fame and Rupert Wyatt who worked with Andy Serkis on his first modern Planet of The Apes movie.

Oh, right, and I just read that headline the other day, too.

I still find it weird that Serkis would be a top pick when his directorial debut (that "darker, more real" Jungle Book) got sold to Netflix rather than even get a run in theaters because Warners knew it would bomb.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Zombieland was always pretty lame
It basically put the nail in the coffin of bill murray as a living meme

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Zombieland was always pretty lame
It basically put the nail in the coffin of bill murray as a living meme

My condolences for your loss.

Everyone, the funeral for Punkin's good taste will be held at the Goonsville Cemetery on Friday. Bring pie.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
Latest from Robert Eggers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyag7lR8CPA

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

BuT TwInKlE TwILiGhtT?!!?!?!!?!?

Robert Pattison is so loving GOOD. And wow - this looks loving AMAZING.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I am so excited about The Lighthouse.

I’ve been anticipating it for months without even seeing footage. I can’t wait.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Robert Pattinson posted:

“That’s the closest I’ve come to punching a director,” Pattinson said. “However much I love Robert [Eggers], there was a point where I did five takes walking across the beach, and after a while I was like, ‘What the gently caress is going on? I feel like you’re just spraying a fire hose in my face.’ And he was like, ‘I am spraying a fire hose in your face.'”

SO HYPED.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

VERY excited to hearing Willem Dafoe curse in sailor

I love Robert Eggers’ incredibly specific dialect choices

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So much hype for this

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

This and Parasite have me exceedingly hype for October.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lmao, that quote is amazing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Nroo posted:

This and Parasite have me exceedingly hype for October.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Goddamn I want to let that movie gestate inside my body.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lqCjai8LDo

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
Epstein

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Honestly, I'm just glad to see Dennis Reynolds finally doing what he loves.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Mordja posted:

Honestly, I'm just glad to see Dennis Reynolds finally doing what he loves.

I don't see him hunting Cricket in that trailer.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

holy poo poo the cast for this is stacked, when i saw it was a Blumhouse action movie i thought it would have a cast closer to the purge movies, with one or two stars and a bunch of great lesser-known actors, but Hillary Swank, Glenn Howerton, Betty Gilpin, Justin Hartley, Emma Roberts, Sturgill Simpson, Ike Barinholz, Ethan Suplee, Macon Blair, and Amy Madigan.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Another ‘the rich kill the poor movie’. Yes. This is what the nation needs right now.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Hunger Games For Grown Ups

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

sponges posted:

Another ‘the rich kill the poor movie’. Yes. This is what the nation needs right now.

So you're saying the rich need to stop being portrayed as villains?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Expe7hf6MU

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 31, 2019

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Looking good.

I wonder what the runtime is, 3:15?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
i feel like im gonna be thinkin about the de-aging 24/7 watchin that thing

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I will just be looking at the boots and now you will too

https://twitter.com/Sgtzima/status/1155890386654679041

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

During the trailer I wondered why they weren't showing the de-aged characters. And then the end happened and I wondered no more. :gonk:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

So what, De Niro supposed to be Irish here? That trailer communicated nothing and was pretty poorly cut IMO.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I got chills seeing Joe Pesci. That was a good trailer. Too bad the de-aging tech isn’t quite there yet.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jewmanji posted:

I got chills seeing Joe Pesci. That was a good trailer. Too bad the de-aging tech isn’t quite there yet.

I don't know, I thought the de-aging looked pretty great. Way better than I was expecting. And yeah, Pesci in a Scorsese movie again is something I'm there for.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The reveal made me laugh because for some reason I forgot that de-aging DeNiro would still make him like 60.

I'm pretty excited to see Pesci again though.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

I don't know, I thought the de-aging looked pretty great. Way better than I was expecting. And yeah, Pesci in a Scorsese movie again is something I'm there for.

I think maybe it was just weird because the trailer edit was deliberately trying to call attention to the de-aging and beg you to inspect it. If they had instead inserted a few shots in the middle it might’ve slipped by me, but when you scrutinize it that way there’s still a slight but noticeably uncanny valley effect.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

LesterGroans posted:

The reveal made me laugh because for some reason I forgot that de-aging DeNiro would still make him like 60.

Yeah, it doesn't make him look younger, just inconsistently old. Like he slapped some hemorrhoid cream on his face and some Just For Men to the dome as opposed to time jumps.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I liked that song in the trailer.

edit - also Im unfamiliar with the Jimmy Hoffa story and that trailer didn't really tell me anything

bows1 fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

bows1 posted:

I liked that song in the trailer.

edit - also Im unfamiliar with the Jimmy Hoffa story and that trailer didn't really tell me anything
It was funny I was just talking to my roommate last night at bar trivia and one of the questions was Hoffa and he went on a rant of how he was awful and how his son set the labor movement back so much by being a lovely union boss