Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I think you guys are going to have to break it down by subforum archetypes. I'll start: Kruppe is D&D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Habibi posted:

I think you guys are going to have to break it down by subforum archetypes. I'll start: Kruppe is D&D.
Like D&D or TG-talking-about-D&D because I could see either.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just finished the Bonehunters. I enjoyed this more than Midnight Tides, mainly because Erikson is really good at writing about soldiers and how they interact with each other. I also liked how he portrayed that this was a multicultural army and that just because you were born in the Malazan empire didn't mean that you're malazan. The battle of Y'Ghatan was also really good. Both the buildup, the actual battle and the escape.

But..there was another rape scene that's solely there to make the male character feel really bad about himself.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jul 31, 2019

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Habibi posted:

I'll start: Kruppe is D&D.

Cutter is E/N.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
um kruppe is clearly FYAD

hannan mosag is D&D

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

hannan mosag is D&D

Is this before or after he becomes a hideous, malformed wreck of a man?

Wait, nvm

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

hannan mosag is D&D

No, way, Kruppe is too civilized for FYAD. FYAD would be like...Olar Ethil.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Kruppe is either CSPAM or CD.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Habibi posted:

No, way, Kruppe is too civilized for FYAD. FYAD would be like...Olar Ethil.

Iskaral Pust is FYAD and smdh if you think otherwise

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Rereading and saw this bit in House of Chains. The foreshadowing! [Main series spoilers - The whole thing]

"A low altar caught Karsa’s attention. Some lowlander god, signified by a small clay statue — a boar, standing on its hind legs. The Teblor knocked it to the earthen floor, then shattered it with a single stomp of his heel."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I really enjoyed how much of a gently caress up Crump was in Bonehunters. He blows up the malazan army at Y'Ghatan, pisses on a god's altar causing it to break and then :wave: at an edur boat not realizing that they're the enemy combatants.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Alhazred posted:

I really enjoyed how much of a gently caress up Crump was in Bonehunters. He blows up the malazan army at Y'Ghatan, pisses on a god's altar causing it to break and then :wave: at an edur boat not realizing that they're the enemy combatants.

I feel like there's a fun novel to be written about the Bole Brothers (and sister).
It'd be more enjoyable than any of the Kharkanas stuff, that's for sure.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

So far it seems like the 14th army is the type of army that can only perform under extreme circumstances but given enough leisure time they disintegrate completely.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

kingturnip posted:

I feel like there's a fun novel to be written about the Bole Brothers (and sister).
It'd be more enjoyable than any of the Kharkanas stuff, that's for sure.

The boles are in kharkanas tho?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Alhazred posted:

So far it seems like the 14th army is the type of army that can only perform under extreme circumstances but given enough leisure time they disintegrate completely.

pile of brown posted:

The boles are in kharkanas tho?
The Boles aren't in Kharkanas, but they are Part Jaghut, that's why they're so insane and powerful.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
They’re introduced in FoD as a jaghut creation.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

kingturnip posted:

Iskaral Pust is FYAD and smdh if you think otherwise

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Alhazred posted:

They've also been robbed of any proper fighting and it makes them cranky.

As of the end of BH they've been in what, 3 proper battles?
The Whirlwind was defeated by bizarre magic, Yghaten was a bloodbath and the perpetrator escaped, and at Malaz they massacred an angry mob

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

The Boles punching the poo poo out of the K'Chain assassin is one of the best scenes of the whole series.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I just wanted to say that I like how Erikson handles topics on his saga and since I . Can't wait for Karsa's trilogy to end so I can star reading Walk in Shadows.

Been reading The Black Company, it's been a great ride but I just want more Malazan.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I loved the journey reading the Black Company books and you can see its ancestry of ASoIaF, and Malazan in particular. Malazan BotF is a bit like TBC on steroids and a good bit better written, so I'm glad I read the latter first.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

turboraton posted:

I just wanted to say that I like how Erikson handles topics on his saga and since I . Can't wait for Karsa's trilogy to end so I can star reading Walk in Shadows.

Been reading The Black Company, it's been a great ride but I just want more Malazan.

:heysexy:

I'm about due for a complete re-read of the series, with all the ancillary books I skipped the first time around. :rip: my goodreads reading challenge for the next couple of years, I guess.

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000

Wibla posted:

I'm about due for a complete re-read of the series, with all the ancillary books I skipped the first time around. :rip: my goodreads reading challenge for the next couple of years, I guess.
I just finished my re-read of Malazan, and my Black Company copies are dog earred. Got a vacation coming up and no idea what to read. Tried the Powder Mage trilogy and meh. What else can scratch the itch?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

If you want to read a book about a big rear end battle, I really liked Joe Abercrombie - The Heroes.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

boba fetacheese posted:

I just finished my re-read of Malazan, and my Black Company copies are dog earred. Got a vacation coming up and no idea what to read. Tried the Powder Mage trilogy and meh. What else can scratch the itch?

If you can find any of David Gemmell's output, I can't recommend Legend, Echoes of the Great Song or Dark Moon too highly. All stand-alone novels, though Legend has sequels. Just, be prepared to cry. Gemmell's work was as beautiful and merciless as the Chain of Dogs.

1994 Toyota Celica fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 8, 2019

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

If you can find any of David Gemmell's output, I can't recommend Legend, Echoes of the Great Song or Dark Moon too highly. All stand-alone novels, though Legend has sequels. Just, be prepared to cry. Gemmell's work was as beautiful and merciless as the Chain of Dogs.
Gotta go with a long, resounding "nope" for the second half of the post but they are pretty enjoyable pulp fantasy.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
If you want more Malazan, then I recommend the Second Apocalypse. Malazan is said to be why it even exists. However, er, SA is a bit more bleak. :(

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Pleiades posted:

If you want more Malazan, then I recommend the Second Apocalypse. Malazan is said to be why it even exists. However, er, SA is a bit more bleak. :(
It's even more rapey than Malazan, and also pretty child-rapey. It's pessimistic while Malazan is optimistic.

I enjoyed it a few years ago but just can't anymore.

But the world building is strong at least.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I am all too ready to defend the rapeyness in PoN because I think Bakker is doing something deliberate with it. But by Aspect Emperor it just become gratuitous and grisly because the world sucks and everything is awful and life is miserable.

The Inchoroi being literal utility monsters is a great gag though, and the characters are wonderful when they're not busy sobbing about unrequited love.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

dwarf74 posted:

It's even more rapey than Malazan, and also pretty child-rapey. It's pessimistic while Malazan is optimistic.

I enjoyed it a few years ago but just can't anymore.

But the world building is strong at least.

I read the prologue or whatever and noped out afterwards. At least you know what you’re in for from the beginning.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I tried the first book, but I didn't even get far enough in to get a feel for it. The names were just way too fa'nt'asee'ish for me with multiple circumflexes and umlouts abounding. It's just hard for me to get into something where actual names are things like "Anasûrimbor Ganrelka II, High King of Kûniüri" on the first page.

Basically everyone should be named by Braven Tooth.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Started the kharkanas series this week. Really enjoying Arathan's story so far. Way better than I expected it to be based on some feedback it's received.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

BlindSite posted:

Started the kharkanas series this week. Really enjoying Arathan's story so far. Way better than I expected it to be based on some feedback it's received.
It's great and really deserves an ending we are not getting thanks to Karsa being more popular.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

anilEhilated posted:

It's great and really deserves an ending we are not getting thanks to Karsa being more popular.

It's less Karsa being more popular I'd say than the writing style of Kharkhanas turning off a bunch of people.

But also Karsa is more popular.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Aranan posted:

I tried the first book, but I didn't even get far enough in to get a feel for it. The names were just way too fa'nt'asee'ish for me with multiple circumflexes and umlouts abounding. It's just hard for me to get into something where actual names are things like "Anasûrimbor Ganrelka II, High King of Kûniüri" on the first page.

Basically everyone should be named by Braven Tooth.

I actually found Bakkers names way better than Malazan. Theres a lot of DnDisms that sound just odd on the page (Clawmaster Topper, Sergeant Trotts) and I remember getting weirdly annoyed at how Stonny Menackis randomly gets a surname.

Bakkers names nicely evoked a hellenistic/byzantine atmosphere - Xinemus, Nersei Proyas, Coithas Saubon (who are, incidentally, the best dudes in the whole series)

And the Great Ordeal has to rival DoD for "transformative death march". Sadly it ends in atrocity piled on atrocity, which feels like a slap in the face compared to Eriksons gentle humanism. Even DG is more uplifting!

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Finished "House of Chains" a few days ago and have been taking a moment to digest instead of just grabbing "Midnight Tides" off the stack.

It's probably been said a hundred times, but I seriously wish I had an ebook copy so I could search for how many times " chain" shows up as a text string. It's probably not as many times as it seemed.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

282. So about every other page.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Okay, that's actually more than I expected.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Andrigaar posted:

Finished "House of Chains" a few days ago and have been taking a moment to digest instead of just grabbing "Midnight Tides" off the stack.

It's probably been said a hundred times, but I seriously wish I had an ebook copy so I could search for how many times " chain" shows up as a text string. It's probably not as many times as it seemed.

Wait, you read them in ... dead tree format?

What is this, the early noughties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Andrigaar posted:

Boy howdy do I have a site for you!