Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

So my partner is trying to install the May update on her laptop and the update is pausing because it wants a version of Intel RST that 15.5.2.1054 or later. She definitely had a newer version installed (verified in Device Manager) and we downgraded to the version just to be sure, but it's still stalling the update. Just from a bit of googling it looks like this was a relatively common issue, but there's not a lot of good information on why it might be happening or what a good fix would be.

Has anyone run into this problem? How did you fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Did you try uninstalling RST and just installing the latest driver manually (f6flpy-x64.zip - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28966/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=55005) using Device Manager? You don't need the RST service, I assume that one is blocking the update.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Why does opening a jpg or any other image file take so drat long in Windows 10? Up to 20 seconds. Once that first file is open, the rest open normally (or close to it). If I try the next day, it's back to taking super long.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Lambert posted:

Did you try uninstalling RST and just installing the latest driver manually (f6flpy-x64.zip - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28966/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=55005) using Device Manager? You don't need the RST service, I assume that one is blocking the update.

I'll give that a try, thanks!

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

WerthersWay posted:

Why does opening a jpg or any other image file take so drat long in Windows 10? Up to 20 seconds. Once that first file is open, the rest open normally (or close to it). If I try the next day, it's back to taking super long.

That's quite extreme, but the UWP photo viewer is known to be really slow at viewing photos. Try using something else.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Sininu posted:

That's quite extreme, but the UWP photo viewer is known to be really slow at viewing photos. Try using something else.

It burns a fuckton of RAM, too. Wipes out about 40% of my cache when it's running.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

There's a longstanding memory leak in the UWP viewer too, more than a few times I've left my PC with an image open and come back a few hours later to find it almost ground to a halt because Photos has consumed my entire 32GB of RAM and pushed everything else into swap.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Captain Yossarian posted:

Can anyone explain to me how to change this? When I copy a folder into a destination, instead of giving me the "overwrite option, it adds it to the folder and just creates a "copy" wtf is this

Edit: my computer decided to default this 140gb folder with like 15,000 items as read only :/

A folder being read-only doesn't really mean anything.

The setting you want might be "Hide folder merge conflicts" under folder options?

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I used Irfanview like it’s 2004. It’s crazy how little improvement there’s been on “opening a JPEG” in decades.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Laslow posted:

I used Irfanview like it’s 2004. It’s crazy how little improvement there’s been on “opening a JPEG” in decades.

Same here. Some things are just *fine* as it is.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

repiv posted:

There's a longstanding memory leak in the UWP viewer too, more than a few times I've left my PC with an image open and come back a few hours later to find it almost ground to a halt because Photos has consumed my entire 32GB of RAM and pushed everything else into swap.

:wtc:

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there a thread about VPN’s here?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

it's not the progress bar, it's the complete lack of any feedback or useful info on these screens.

"is anything happening? is it stuck? why is it stuck? nope, it's suddenly done now!"

I can't remember what program it was, but the loving thing's progress bar would move backwards as often as it did forward. Singularly useless.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

all progress bars are bad if you're honest with yourself, a comforting sisyphean lie

spinners free you to go "hell if I know how long it'll take, I'm going to make coffee and do something else" and represent true enlightenment

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Dylan16807 posted:

A folder being read-only doesn't really mean anything.

The setting you want might be "Hide folder merge conflicts" under folder options?

I will check this out too. Thank you! Changing it from read only DID fix the problem which I thought was odd. It appears quite a few of my folders got made read only, no idea when 🤷🏻‍♂️

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Sri.Theo posted:

Is there a thread about VPN’s here?

PIA or Nord.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
See, if you’re properly paranoid then those are too popular. If you’re dodging MPAA copyright notices, sure. But if you’re selling massive amounts of supercomputers like Playstation 3’s to Iran on the deep web, then look elsewhere, pal.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I've recently come across Mullvad and AzireVPN, two Swedish companies, while looking for VPN providers that offer the WireGuard protocol. Both seem interesting.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Lambert posted:

I've recently come across Mullvad and AzireVPN, two Swedish companies, while looking for VPN providers that offer the WireGuard protocol. Both seem interesting.

Thanks, but I’ve never used one before and some basic questions about how they work before I sign up to one.

1) how do they affect download/upload speeds and general browsing, syncing etc?
2) some of them advertise ‘works with netflix’. I know Netflix tries to block VPNs but how successful are VPNs at avoiding the block. And do any of the other major services, iPlayer, Amazon prime etc do the same?
3) how does a router level VPN work, and is it easy to switch between countries? Will the software work with a router I get from my ISP or will I have to buy a new one?
4) how do people find it works with families who want to access content from different countries- has it been difficult to explain to partners etc?
5) for goons that have used them in the past was there any reason you stopped using one?

I don’t know whether it is worth it, but I’m moving countries soon and would quite like access to media from my home country as well!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
1) As far as I can tell, it doesn't. Anecdotal case: I play FFXIV, and until recently, their servers were based in Montreal. Unfortunately, I live on the west coast, which means that topographically, my connection would route up into Canada past Vancouver, then over to Montreal from the west. This meant Problems, because that means connecting through THE GODDAMN CUNTING FUCKS OVER AT LEVEL3. "Ah, non, nous do not know why vous etes having problems, everything ees fine on our side, tabarnak." No, gently caress you, I have detailed logs and traces, that show your routing from the west is hosed, you loving nationalist poutine-eating snowflakes, fix your poo poo.

At any rate, my solution was to VPN over to the east coast, (because traffic going to the east coast goes through the midwest or down south through Texas instead, far, far, far away from those goddamn Quebecois,) exiting somewhere along the Atlantic seaboard, and then connect to Square Enix's servers from the east, which cut my pings in half. This worked until they moved the servers out here to Sacramento, putting it right at the end of a gigantic-rear end pipe from Japan, but because Comcast's routing is poo poo, and despite the fact that I live less than two hours south as the crow flies from where the servers are, I still get better pings by tunnelling up to Seattle, past the datacenter, and then coming back down the coast.

TL;DR: VPN good, lets you do wacky poo poo.

2) I don't have a Netflix sub, I couldn't tell you, however, I do know that NordVPN and PIA are both effective at securing access to BBC iPlayer, it was how I watched Top Gear for years until Clarkson got sacked. Only other BBC shows I watch on regular basis is Mock the Week and someone uploads that to Youtube, so I don't even have to bother. Amazon Prime, it is a hit or miss, sometimes they pick up on the VPN, sometimes they do not, they must have only part of the IP range for the exit nodes that I use blocked.

3) When they say "router-level" it just means that the tunnel is established starting from the router, which should, in theory, capture all traffic that exits from your network, in contrast to running their VPN tool that just sits in your taskbar tray. If you do run at the router, you are making a tradeoff between security and ease of use, since the VPN tool these days allows for quickly switching between exit nodes through a point-and-click interface. Both Nord and PIA have Chrome/Firefox VPN extensions, which may be a flexible tradeoff for you: Set the router to exit node in somewhere like Canada, which supports port forwarding, to allow for torrents and things, but use the browser extension to flexibly switch between exit nodes across the world.

4) It was pretty easy for my to explain to my somewhat less-tech-savvy brother. He plays games on computers and knows how to set up a torrent client, but in the family, I am the professional computer-toucher. Honestly, the PIA app is so good, I would be surprised if they could not use it.... though I worry about them clicking on random options when the occasional VPN problem crops up, trying to get the thing to work, and then suddenly getting into an less-secured state.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 28, 2019

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Thanks, that’s really helpful. Good to know it’s relatively simple- I’ll probably just try a few for one month at a time when I actually move until I find one I like.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

I will check this out too. Thank you! Changing it from read only DID fix the problem which I thought was odd. It appears quite a few of my folders got made read only, no idea when 🤷🏻‍♂️

So, going back to this. Why would windows 10 decide to make my entire computer, every single file and drive, read only? I'm discovering this is what happened and while I can give myself full access to all drives again, I wonder WHY my entire C drive decided to make itself read only in the first place

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

So, going back to this. Why would windows 10 decide to make my entire computer, every single file and drive, read only? I'm discovering this is what happened and while I can give myself full access to all drives again, I wonder WHY my entire C drive decided to make itself read only in the first place

The only times I have seen this when Windows thinks you mount something off a SAN and it will mount the LUN readonly by default. Upgrade from your Mobo bios? I've seen SATA ports and other ports announce themselves as "removable" etc. etc.

There is some logic to this behaviour, I don't know what the exact circumstances are when it will force this. Probably a new drive which is already NTFS formatted added to the system.

Have you checked the Event Viewer? If it has done it intentionally it will probably put something in there.

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 28, 2019

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

A blip in the storage controller can make drives go read-only. It's a data integrity thing. Are you using the RAID functions on your disk controller?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
If you want a more modern Irfanview, Honeyview seems to be the closest thing. Roughly as fast, but it omits a lot of the editing features. It also omits a lot of the weird quirks and broken behavior Irfanview has accumulated

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
So is it not possible to disable a monitor in the settings clusterfuck? I have two monitors, but I have three cables running ( for a VM when booting Linux ) and I want to disable the monitor it finds on the DVI port.

I could have sworn this used to be possible. Nevermind found it: On multiple displays you have the option "disconnect this display".

So used to right clicking stuff :(

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jul 29, 2019

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
while i'm ranting about feedback, the fact that all the new computers with a SSD installed now fail to also include a hdd light is loving galaxybrain to me. "yes, this completely silent computer should offer absolutely no feedback about whether it's frozen or doing something". pre-ssd you could at least hear the hdd clicking its thing, now it's just "hmm, i wonder if anything is happening or if the system just hanged" for 10 minutes

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Truga posted:

while i'm ranting about feedback, the fact that all the new computers with a SSD installed now fail to also include a hdd light is loving galaxybrain to me. "yes, this completely silent computer should offer absolutely no feedback about whether it's frozen or doing something". pre-ssd you could at least hear the hdd clicking its thing, now it's just "hmm, i wonder if anything is happening or if the system just hanged" for 10 minutes

Weird, even my NVMe drives give the blinky lights.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I mean on laptops. On many desktops there are still HDD leds. All these new lenovos people in the office are buying don't have them tho, and it's real annoying sitting there staring at a dumb windows screen wondering if the 10 minutes of waiting is normal or if it just failed and i need to reboot

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The HP laptops we buy all have drive access lights.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
In a similar vein, I wish my Dell had a Fn lock indicator.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

In a similar vein, I wish my Dell had a Fn lock indicator.

thank gently caress lenovos have those.

i always alt+f4 and something wrong happens and "oh fn-lock-light is on", it'd have taken me forever to figure that poo poo out the first couple times otherwise :v:

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Weird, even my NVMe drives give the blinky lights.

Not only does my Asus Zenbook have a blinky light for its SSD access, but I can actually hear *something* going on when the drive is being accessed. What it is, I have no idea.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
Ironically my Alienware laptop doesn’t have any status lights and I even disabled the power light. I feel like a drive access indicator would get extremely annoying in a dark room.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Truga posted:

thank gently caress lenovos have those.

i always alt+f4 and something wrong happens and "oh fn-lock-light is on", it'd have taken me forever to figure that poo poo out the first couple times otherwise :v:

Think on the Dell alt f4 works regardless of what the toggle is on.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

beuges posted:

Not only does my Asus Zenbook have a blinky light for its SSD access, but I can actually hear *something* going on when the drive is being accessed. What it is, I have no idea.

possibly coil whine in a bridge or something. my chomebook's cpu has amazing coil whine, you can hear *exactly* what the cpu load is lmao

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Rinkles posted:

Think on the Dell alt f4 works regardless of what the toggle is on.

I really appreciate touches like this.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
What's the best way to prevent Windows Update Orchestrator from waking my computer from sleep every night?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mozi posted:

What's the best way to prevent Windows Update Orchestrator from waking my computer from sleep every night?

No idea, but I wouldn't mind so much if it were better at going back to sleep afterwards. Definitely seems worse about that than before the last big update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Mozi posted:

Use the switch on a power strip to fully cut power to the pc after shutting down.