Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CubanMissile posted:

oooo, good call.

Here's the evidence that Serena can't have kids:

She got shot in the guts. The uterus is incredibly resilient and the injury is Old.
Fred couldn't get June pregnant. The doctor dropped that "it's mostly the guys' fault" line way back when and offered to knock her up.
It's not like they're going to keep checking her with Fred's rank being so high.

It would compound Serena's angst, put her in a horrific position, and throw Canada storylines back into the mix.

I'm pretty sure she's getting pregnant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

screamin and creamin posted:

Even though I think it'd be overly obvious, I still hope we end up seeing high commander Winslow with curtain rings through his lips at some point.

And he's pregnant

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

McSpanky posted:

And he's pregnant

I'm for this, too.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Here's the evidence that Serena can't have kids:

She got shot in the guts. The uterus is incredibly resilient and the injury is Old.
Fred couldn't get June pregnant. The doctor dropped that "it's mostly the guys' fault" line way back when and offered to knock her up.
It's not like they're going to keep checking her with Fred's rank being so high.

It would compound Serena's angst, put her in a horrific position, and throw Canada storylines back into the mix.

I'm pretty sure she's getting pregnant.

If this were a good show it would do this. Instead they'll pass June on the way to the border and foil her plan.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

If this were a good show it would do this. Instead they'll pass June on the way to the border and foil her plan.

June gives the children's truck to Serena and Lawrence who manage to somehow make it to Canada to claim asylum.

June glowers into the camera for five minutes afterwards.

Kyyrewyyoae
Jul 20, 2007

Vae debilibus!
This seems like the kind of thing this thread would be interested in:

Margaret Atwood: Live in Cinemas

I didn't realize Atwood's sequel was coming out so soon. It's set 15 years after the first book, but I wonder if any of what's in S2 and S3 of the series will be referenced.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oh drat I didn't know she had written a sequel!

Hopefully it's entirely unlike S2/3.

e: whew:

quote:

The Testaments will be set 15 years after Offred’s final scene in The Handmaid’s Tale and narrated by three female characters. It will not be connected to the television version, which has extended beyond Atwood’s 1985 novel to continue Offred’s story.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kyyrewyyoae posted:

I didn't realize Atwood's sequel was coming out so soon. It's set 15 years after the first book, but I wonder if any of what's in S2 and S3 of the series will be referenced.

lol if the show immediately starts taking ideas from the new book and all of a sudden gets good again

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
O.m.f.G is all I can say. Today's episode rules!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

lol Fred is a dumb motherfucker.

"This isn't "just up ahead!" I wonder what could possibly be happening? Oh well better just keep following him further into the woods, I'm sure it'll be fine"

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:3: I liked today's episode a lot.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

whoops guess not

"get in loser we're going to the hague"

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The last two episodes of this show have been good, making me think that they had material for like three or four episodes this season. So as a result, they stretched it out with that horrible "June gets a Handmaid and a bunch of other people killed" subplot.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
two episodes to go this season, and the showrunner has said it's ending in a major cliffhanger. My predictions (spoiler-tagged for those who haven't seen last night's ep):

- Canada/Europe and the US Remnant forces clash over Nicole and Fred (Canada wants to give Nicole to Serena, the US wants to prosecute them both and not take Nicole)
- In response US forces invade the Northeast and push towards the rebels besieged in Chicago, the last episode and next season is basically Gilead at war (long term spoiler Canada boots the US remnant out of Canada to maintain the peace with Gilead - note that in the books Gilead survives long enough to morph into a weird neo-pagan cult)
- The rescue of the kids is a massive clusterfuck because nothing in Gilead goes well for anyone; the kids probably make it out but Cmdr. and Mrs. Lawrence both are killed and the cliffhanger is June being shot in the final scene as the boat leaves, because the showrunners apparently believe we'll think they would kill off their star actress.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

They already specifically stated June survives til the end.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Holy loving hell :stare:

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Huh, that was a good episode. Can we have another?

I thought the show was headed toward an unseemly attempt at audience gratification by having High Commander Spike rape Fred. Possibly my paranoia. Anyway, we got two different audience gratification scenes instead, and they can't be called wrong.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I didn’t expect to watch an actual good episode.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

That was a good episode - too bad the previous 10 weren't condensed down to maybe 4 or 5.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
lol at that martha vouching for june "she keeps her cool" yeah ok lady

great episode that fight scene was tense as hell

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It definitely does feel like they had a very good end of the season in mind here where everything just goes to total poo poo 8 different ways at once, but had no plan at all for the first 8 episodes.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
loving finally. This feels like the first meaningful payoff the entire series has had. Glad June finally got a point on the killboard by Stabbing Stabler . May it be the first of many.

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 1, 2019

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Yessss that was so satisfying :3:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Good episode! Stuff happened!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I liked it! This is like good Dystopian Adventure.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Still watching the episode but it seems so weird that the SDH subtitles always call June “Ofjoseph”

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Still watching the episode but it seems so weird that the SDH subtitles always call June “Ofjoseph”

I could swear the subtitles shift her name depending on her situation (when she's talking to Lydia the subtitles call her Ofjoseph, but when she was talking to the Swiss diplomats they called her June)

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

More Kate Bush montages please

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I suppose with Nick Sax killed, and his new second in command(?) in custody, I suppose the next season will be about everything going to poo poo in Gilead, and ideally be the last one (instead of drawing it out with more and more implausible scenarios keeping June alive).

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Wait, Nick is dead? When did that happen?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
No not that Nick. I can't remember the name of the character Meloni plays in this, but he did play Nick Sax in Happy.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ah, ok.

This episode didn't have any pointless grossness, but I'll admit that Meloni trying to speak through lungs with like a dozen holes in them was extremely disturbing to me.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Ah, ok.

This episode didn't have any pointless grossness, but I'll admit that Meloni trying to speak through lungs with like a dozen holes in them was extremely disturbing to me.

I kept wondering why she was stabbing him 1 million times all over instead of just going for the throat.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Ah, ok.

Maybe it's cause of how jacked he is now but he was really loving good for that role.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

wilderthanmild posted:

I kept wondering why she was stabbing him 1 million times all over instead of just going for the throat.

It didn't look to odd to me. I saw it as a person in the moment of a fight or flight response, where one who isn't well-trained in self-defense follows what their instincts give them. Which was simply to stab until she was free from him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
At first, she couldn't reach his neck because he was pinning her down. Then she was angled to his side, still using her legs to keep him at bay, where his arm was protecting his head but his flank was wide open.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

for military guys these guys all really suck rear end at fighting.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm pretty sure these are the guys whose job it is to direct 3% of GDP to building planes that don't fly and ships that don't float, not combat arms.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Fred is so fuckin stupid he absolutely would drive over the Canadian border and not even realize it. Finally a really decent episode this season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Kyyrewyyoae posted:

She's also doing some live events