Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

STAC Goat posted:

Which gives me an excuse to post my favorite obscure gif.

What is this from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

One of my favorite haunted house movies is the 1991 made for TV flick The Haunted. It's pretty low budget but it gave me the willies back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BaF-YgmBNk

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
This American Life had an open about a haunted house. The owners persisted on staying in it, and even the psychics were like "WTF! This house is super haunted, you need to leave!" After like a year of trying to deal with the ghost they decided to sell and actually get out. During the inspection it turned out the haunting was a gas leak and they were tripping balls the whole time.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

This American Life had an open about a haunted house. The owners persisted on staying in it, and even the psychics were like "WTF! This house is super haunted, you need to leave!" After like a year of trying to deal with the ghost they decided to sell and actually get out. During the inspection it turned out the haunting was a gas leak and they were tripping balls the whole time.

how do i get a gas leak like that in my house

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kvlt! posted:

how do i get a gas leak like that in my house

Buy a lovely house with a gas connection

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Almost Blue posted:

What is this from?

Mr. Boogedy, a really goofy Disney Sunday Movie that was a childhood favorite of mine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Boogedy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGxjL1R72vM

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Can we move away from Horror movies for a moment and talk politics instead?

https://twitter.com/ClickHole/status/1156640723254566918?s=20

https://www.clickhole.com/5-reasons...ing&/setsession

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I don't know, Jason's experiences mentioned in number 3 seem like a positive to me

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

CRAYON posted:

So I think I'm into Jean Rollin's films.

It's been awhile since I watched Fascination but I remember enjoying it. Last night I checked out The Nude Vampire and liked it a lot. Both films have an eerie dreamlike quality that I really enjoy.

What should I watch next?

Lips of Blood, The Iron Rose (not a vampire movie) and Requiem for a Vampire are essential, imo

Edit: actually probably the only Rollin film I wouldn’t recommend is Zombie Lake. His later output is kind of weak, too. but he’s definitely one of those directors where once you start getting in to him you’re probably gonna see all of his stuff anyway.

Once you’ve seen the above I’d check out The Grapes of Death, Living Dead Girl and Shiver of the Vampires, too!

PinkoBastard fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 31, 2019

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
This weekend starts the first of 13 weekends that my gf will be away for work.

Which means...

FRIDAY THE 13TH/NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET MARATHON! One each a weekend until I finish them all. I've seen all the NoES movies, but not all the F13 movies, so this will be fun.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I would argue that his social issues and economic policies far outstrip any short comings you may find with him. Also, we know very well that Jason is pro-weed, and has quite the crop growing skills himself

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Watched Doom Asylum last night and while it’s not very good it did make me laugh a few times. Shameful laughs, but laughs all the same.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

COOL CORN posted:

Which means...

FRIDAY THE 13TH/NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET MARATHON! One each a weekend until I finish them all. I've seen all the NoES movies, but not all the F13 movies, so this will be fun.

Which F13ths haven't you seen?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

gey muckle mowser posted:

The Living Dead Girl is my favorite. I also liked Shiver of the Vampires and Requiem for a Vampire a lot.

PinkoBastard posted:

Lips of Blood, The Iron Rose (not a vampire movie) and Requiem for a Vampire are essential, imo

Awesome, thanks! This should keep me busy for awhile.

Going to start with Requiem since you both list it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I dunno, I think Jason's policy on "Staying away from Camp Crystal Lake" is strong. I also feel his "Seriously, stay the gently caress away from Camp Crystal Lake! That is my ONE loving RULE! Christ!" platform has merit.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I dunno, I think Jason's policy on "Staying away from Camp Crystal Lake" is strong. I also feel his "Seriously, stay the gently caress away from Camp Crystal Lake! That is my ONE loving RULE! Christ!" platform has merit.

Jason is anti-interventionist? Sign me up

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Burkion posted:

Also, we know very well that Jason is pro-weed, and has quite the crop growing skills himself

Jason's weed-policy boils down to: "Don't do it, or I'll kill you!"

Which is his policy on pretty much anything, now that I think about it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Jason would also be our first President with an intellectual disability, so that's major progress!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

Which F13ths haven't you seen?

I think I've only seen the original, Manhattan, and FvJ.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Basebf555 posted:

Jason would also be our first President with an intellectual disability, so that's major progress!

Not even close

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Basebf555 posted:

How quickly we forget about Andrew Jackson.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Hell, I’d argue that she often looks younger now than she did in 90’s fashion.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Basebf555 posted:

Also just as obsessed with Mommie as Bush and Reagan.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tart Kitty posted:

Uh, excuse me, House On Haunted Hill '99 would like a word

Or, you know, The Haunting.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Lurdiak posted:

Or, you know, The Haunting.

Well that goes without saying.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

Surpremely powerful post

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Tart Kitty posted:

I adore Babs but can we please stop the world because there's going to be a new SUBSPECIES film?!?

Holy gently caress, my whole day is made.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

COOL CORN posted:

Which means...

Cat's away, mice will play, eh? You naughty rascal, you! :wink:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tart Kitty posted:

it actually took me a second to realize it was her in you're next because i'm thinking why'd they cast the mom so young and just dye her hair grey.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
So over the course of the horror threads I’ve gotten some really amazing recommendations for Found Footage, which is basically my favorite genre. Maybe I just really like that sense of voyeurism, given that I chose to be a therapist and spend my day heating people’s secrets. Anyway, I was wondering if there are any awesome found footage horror things I’ve yet to see. Ima do a list below of what I know of in no particular order.

Blair Witch
Grave Encounters 1 and 2
Paranormal Activity
VHS 1, 2, and 3
REC 1 and 2
Butterfly Kisses
Without Warning
Savagelands
The Borderlands
Tokyo Videos of Horror
WNUF Halloween Special
Ghostwatch
Noroi: the curse
Afflicted
As above so below
Lake Mungo
Hellhouse LLC
Willow Creek
The Pyramid
They’re Watching
The Visit
Area 51
Unfriended 1 and 2
Creep 1 and 2
Devils Pass
The Den
The Bay
The Conspiracy
The Last Exorcism
Troll Hunter
Cloverfield

Suggested by others: (* if I’ve seen it)
Incident at Lake County: Alien Abudction
The McPherson Tape
*S&Man (must watch)
The Last Broadcast (sucks but has historical significance.)
Home Movie (is okay.)
*Europa Report
*The Tunnel (2011)
Koji Shiraishi has a few other found footage movies that aren't as good as Noroi but worth a watch (Occult, Shirome, Cult)
Man Bites Dog (more comedy than horror)
*Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
*Incident at Loch Ness (starring Werner Herzog as Werner Herzog making a movie about Loch Ness) (more comedy than horror)

Are there others that I’m missing? I’m always amazed by the things people know of that I never find mentioned in googled lists of found footage horror.

fr0id fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 31, 2019

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The McPherson Tape

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
S&Man is a must-watch in my book. It's a hybrid documentary and found a footage horror film that almost plays like a more serious Creep. But it brings up a pretty interesting thesis that we watch found footage movies because on some level the possibility that the horror is real is thrilling to us.

The Last Broadcast sucks but has historical significance.

Home Movie is okay.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 31, 2019

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Timeless Appeal posted:

S&Man is a must-watch in my book. It's a hybrid documentary and found a footage horror film that almost plays like a more serious creep. But it brings up a pretty interesting thesis that we watch found footage movies because on some level the possibility that the horror is real is thrilling to us.

The Last Broadcast sucks but has historical significance.

Home Movies is okay.

Home movies is impossible to google. What year was it?

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Europa Report
The Tunnel (2011)
Koji Shiraishi has a few other found footage movies that aren't as good as Noroi but worth a watch (Occult, Shirome, Cult)

and more comedy than horror:

Man Bites Dog
Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
Incident at Loch Ness (starring Werner Herzog as Werner Herzog making a movie about Loch Ness)

Stink Billyums fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 31, 2019

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

fr0id posted:

Home movies is impossible to google. What year was it?
Sorry, it's Home Movie. 2008, but just google Home Movie horror.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

it was funny in middle school where a friend told me about this "real" alien abduction movie and described the whole thing to me and i didn't find out until 20 years later what it actually was.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There's two versions, im kinda partial to the UPN one because thats the one I saw. It was really intense I thought.

I'd love to do a remake of it someday. FF would be cool but I think it could easily work as a straight film. I dunno.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
NoES 2 is really good, gently caress all haters

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

COOL CORN posted:

NoES 2 is really good, gently caress all haters
NoES 2's hate is a relic of a shittier time. I feel like at the start of the century, it became widely known and discussed how NoES 2 was secretly gay in a time where it was cool to be accepting of gayness in a vague "do as you please sense" while it still finding okay to view queerness as a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Timeless Appeal posted:

NoES 2's hate is a relic of a shittier time. I feel like at the start of the century, it became widely known and discussed how NoES 2 was secretly gay in a time where it was cool to be accepting of gayness in a vague "do as you please sense" while it still finding okay to view queerness as a joke.

I think that's true, but I think there's some valid criticism of the movie for people who like the more quippy, one-liner Freddy. NoES 2 is a lot more straightforward and mean compared to the later movies. Still silly, still goofy, but way less so than, say, Dream Warriors.