Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Crows actually have the best song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbRS9K4rZ8Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

AlbieQuirky posted:

Do you live somewhere where there are mostly birds with less interesting songs like crows and jays and sparrows?

Pretty much.

Crows in particular. We get some absolutely huge swarms of crows around Vancouver, literally almost darkening the sky when they fly over. In the evening they gather in miles long swarms and follow the main highway toward Burnaby, and then go roost in a single spot by a local technical college. It's a scene straight out of The Birds when they do.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Pretty much.

Crows in particular. We get some absolutely huge swarms of crows around Vancouver, literally almost darkening the sky when they fly over. In the evening they gather in miles long swarms and follow the main highway toward Burnaby, and then go roost in a single spot by a local technical college. It's a scene straight out of The Birds when they do.

What you’re saying is there’s lots of friends to be found.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cross Post from the common scams thread in A/T:

A genetic-testing scam is targeting seniors and ripping off Medicare

The 86-year-old woman in rural Utah doesn't usually answer solicitations from strangers, she said, but the young couple who knocked on her front door seemed so nice. Before long, she had handed over her Medicare and Social Security numbers — and allowed them to swab her cheek to collect her DNA.

She is among scores of older Americans who have been targeted in a scam that uses DNA tests to defraud Medicare or steal personal information. Fraudsters find their victims across the country through cold calls, door knocking, email, Facebook ads and Craigslist. They also troll low-income housing complexes, senior centers, health fairs and antique shops. Sometimes they offer ice cream, pizza or $100 gift cards. Some callers claim to work for Medicare, according to a fraud alert issued Friday by the Federal Trade Commission.

Capitalizing on the growing popularity of genetic testing — and fears of terminal illness — scammers are persuading seniors to take two types of genetic screenings that are covered by Medicare Part B, according to experts familiar with the schemes. The tests aim to detect their risk for cancer or medication side effects.

The scammers bill Medicare for the tests. The patients, who might never receive any results, typically pay nothing. But they risk compromising personal information and family medical history. And taxpayers foot the bill for tests that may be unnecessary or inappropriate.

Scammers can really cash in: Medicare pays an average of $6,000 to $9,000 for these tests, and sometimes as much as $25,000, according to the Office of Inspector General at the Department of Health and Human Services.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/07/27/medicare-fraud-identity-theft-genetic-testing-scams-target-seniors/1836394001/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I only listen to hardcore underground birds, not that commercial drivel

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1156205079915089929?s=19

quote:

Fans of a popular Chinese video blogger who called herself "Your Highness Qiao Biluo" have been left stunned after a technical glitch during one of her live-streams revealed her to be a middle-aged woman and not the young glamorous girl they thought her to be.

The Global Times reports that [during the stream] all was as normal and that her fans urged her to show her face and remove her filter but she refused, instead apparently saying: "I can't show my face until I receive gifts worth 100,000 yuan ($11,950). After all, I'm a good-looking host."

However, at some point, it seems the filter being used by the vlogger stopped working and her real face became visible to her viewers. She is reported to have noticed only when people who had signed up to her VIP access room started exiting en masse.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Does that even count as a filter? It looks more like a full CGI animation/reconstruction..

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
there is a movie called Cam where that kind of filter is a major plot point, I didn't think ones that good really existed

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
It'd be easy enough for the middle-aged lady to be another filter. Probably more entertaining, too.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Does she have access to the MCU de-aging tech, because, how?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Aleph Null posted:

Does she have access to the MCU de-aging tech, because, how?

You could read the article rather than just the headline.

Everyone knew she was using a filter because it's a filter and obviously fake but she had a nice voice so people were giving her camgirl money anyway, getting off on the mystery.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
A little late on the stray cat grandma, but that's my hometown. What the article failed to mention is that animal control refuses to pick up stray cats. Just out and out won't take them. So you can either feed them, or watch them starve because they're way overpopulated, thanks to a hoarder house that released over a hundred some years back. On the plus side, we'll never have a mouse problem.

We also have the worlds first strip mall built on a garbage dump. It's one grocery store and a dozen empty big box stores. Why'd everyone move out? Turns out that a garbage dump isn't very stable, and will leak methane into any structure placed on top of it. Wooo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Domus posted:

What the article failed to mention is that animal control refuses to pick up stray cats. Just out and out won't take them. So you can either feed them, or watch them starve because they're way overpopulated, thanks to a hoarder house that released over a hundred some years back.

Have they at least been spayed/neutered?

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Platystemon posted:

Have they at least been spayed/neutered?

No. I hope someone finds that old lady and teaches her about TNR. I did some back in the days I had a condo, but it's hard to claim you know nothing about why fluffy now has no balls if there's a trap in your backyard.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Hrmm, we could actually take care of the stray cat problem

OOOORRRR

We could just make it illegal to feed the cats! *dusts off hands* Our work here is done.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Domus posted:

watch them starve because they're way overpopulated
If you have to choose it's this one. Never ever feed stray cats.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 21:26 on Jul 31, 2019

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
526 teeth removed from Chennai boy’s mouth

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...aign=TOIDesktop

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Though doctors were not able to conclude what had caused the abnormal growth, they said it could be because of radiation from mobile towers and genetic causes

:hmmyes:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Tooth Fairy declares bankruptcy

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yes, it’s the rich people doing it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

At that point it's probably more accurate to say you're removing a small boy from a pile of teeth.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

We live in hell world, so I feel like feeding strays and having feral cats around killing birds is way less of a worry than fitting our cars with Mad Max-style armor before the incoming apocalypse.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Scathach posted:

fitting our cats with Mad Max-style armor before the incoming apocalypse

:hmmyes:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

For Every Stray Cat You Don’t Feed, I’ll Feed Three

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The trick is you need to feed the stray cats to something. For maximum social benefit I suggest the homeless.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Apparently this educational clip got things backwards.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Knormal posted:

The trick is you need to feed the stray cats to something. For maximum social benefit I suggest the homeless.

Or an ATM.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sounds like a cool infinite money glitch in a cyberpunk game

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/stephaniekays/status/1156744820007809024

This is some hosed up poo poo. Also look at the list of scientists who have been involved with him. Hawking, Gould, Sacks, Krauss (already known creep), Gell-Mann, Wilczel...

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Doctors in India are apparently willing to put in quite a lot of time into arranging teeth into White Walker patterns

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Well, it's probably one of those two.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheAtlantic/status/1156260396317253632?s=19

Tech Bros have invented the exciting new concept of studying history.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This is some hosed up poo poo. Also look at the list of scientists who have been involved with him. Hawking, Gould, Sacks, Krauss (already known creep), Gell-Mann, Wilczel...
one of the scientists listed as palling around with him in 2008 died in 2002, though

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
State elections chair resigns after joke about cows, sex

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Did not know Krauss was a creeper. drat, I met him as a teenager and thought he was cool. Guess I got lucky.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Man named ‘Murder’ with ‘murder’ tattooed on his neck pleads guilty to murder

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Trying to attach a file from Awful App.

Edit: nope. It's too big and I have no idea how to resize a file on my phone.

Aleph Null has a new favorite as of 02:07 on Aug 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Ironically, it was a felony murder, not a real murder. He failed to commit any actual murders.