Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Enigma posted:

Makers 46 is the only wheated bourbon I care enough to stock. Otherwise, I’m with you—4R and RR/WT are my favorites.

I like wheated bourbons a lot. Weller SR and OWA are my go to neat whiskeys. I like to mix it up with EHT Rye or Michters when I head that direction. Eagle Rare holds a special place in my cabinet because it was the first good whiskey I got into when it was easy to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Control Volume posted:

Any reviews for Jim Beam?

It meets the legal definition for bourbon, and is wet.

I bought Angel's Envy when it came out and it was good IIRC, but then the price went up and I Iost interest.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Has anyone tried Westward? K&L has a barrel of their 8ish-year cask strength Oregon Single Malt up for $100 a pop. There is only one review of their product on Reddit (my go-to source of non-ad reviews). The price is right on the edge of what I would be willing to pay for a great bottle. It's bottled at an insane 65% abv.

I've yet to try a good American single malt, but would love to.

https://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1426196

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
UPDATE: bought a $40 bottle of Rare Breed instead.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Vox Nihili posted:

UPDATE: bought a $40 bottle of Rare Breed instead.

Rare breed is good. Solid for the money.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Control Volume posted:

Any reviews for Jim Beam?

Jim Beam Black Label actually was a terrific deal back when it had the 8 year age statement on it, a few years ago.
I haven't revisited it more recently, though, and they did away with the age statement, so that may have changed.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Jim beam is probably my drink of choice for mixing with coke.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Enjoying a mint julep on my balcony right now. Muddled the hell out of a pile of fresh mint, threw in plenty of crushed ice (hammer & bag), then poured in four equal parts Wild Turkey 101, Old Forester 1920, Old Grand-Dad 114, and simple syrup. Side of fresh blackberries.

Doing this again today. I've decided Rare Breed is my spirit of choice for juleps.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Heaven Hill started a podcast. Anyone listened yet?

https://heavenhilldistillery.com/podcast.php

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I bought an LL/G bottle of rare breed awhile back and am just now getting to open it.

Holy. Crap. This is a drat delicious bourbon. I know WT gets a good rep here and on reddit, but this just absolutely blows just about any BT product I’ve had out of the water.

I think the somewhat confirmed rumor is that rare breed with an LL/G laser code in the back have older stock(up to 15 years old) in them as they had to use up some younger barrels to meet demand for their Longbranch product.

Apparently the WT101 LL/G also has been great.

I’ve been doing more beer drinking since it got hot out, but the rare breed has sucked me back in to bourbon.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

DoctaFun posted:

I bought an LL/G bottle of rare breed awhile back and am just now getting to open it.

Holy. Crap. This is a drat delicious bourbon. I know WT gets a good rep here and on reddit, but this just absolutely blows just about any BT product I’ve had out of the water.

I think the somewhat confirmed rumor is that rare breed with an LL/G laser code in the back have older stock(up to 15 years old) in them as they had to use up some younger barrels to meet demand for their Longbranch product.

Apparently the WT101 LL/G also has been great.

I’ve been doing more beer drinking since it got hot out, but the rare breed has sucked me back in to bourbon.

Okay I'm trying to figure it out and I cannot. What the gently caress is LL/G?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

silvergoose posted:

Ladies Love Slash Gjames

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

silvergoose posted:

Sorry I wasn’t very clear about that , I was still engulfed in happiness from such a delicious bourbon.

Basically, the bourbon nerds at reddit deciphered the meaning of the laser code on different wild turkey bottles. These codes are lasered onto the bottle on the line or right after it’s been bottled or something.

Anyways, for the newest iteration of rare breed, the codes all look like LL/xxxxxx or something. The first letter after the slash refers to the year, in this case I think F is 2017, G is 2018, H is 2019, etc.

The next letter refers to the month, so LL/GA is January 2018, LL/GB is feb 2018, etc.

The remaining digits refer to the exact date and time.

This coincided with a lot of folks on r/bourbon raving about recent bottles of rare breed. After some investigation they settled on the LL/Gxxx bottles being really good, and the were able to somehow confirm from Jimmie Russell that the barrels used to make Rare Breed were trending older and older throughout that year as they were using up more young barrels than expected to meet Longbranch demand.

Hope that makes sense, but I can confirm that my LL/G bottle of rare breed is fantastic right out of the gate, I’m excited to see if it gets better as it oxidizes a bit.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Yes based on the r/bourbon and facebook WBSE recommendations, I picked up some LL/G date coded Rare Breed a while back and it is excellent. Not allocated tater bait, decent price and really good. Not super complex or unique but just really good bourbon.

After drinking a shitload of bourbon this year, I think that if someone picks up a Wild Turkey Rare Breed LL/G or later date code, an Old Forrester 1920, a 4 Roses Single Barrel, and a Rittenhouse Rye (or Pikesville), they'd be really happy. All are reasonably priced and super easy to get. There is no secondary market pricing on any of these and no scarcity and all are really good.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 26, 2019

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
My favorite cheap rye is Old Overholt. Love me a good old fashioned with it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lowness 72 posted:

My favorite cheap rye is Old Overholt. Love me a good old fashioned with it.

I tried it not too long ago (the newish bottled in bond version) and was a bit let down. Nothing wrong with it for the price point, but Rittenhouse is noticeably less rough and pretty drinkable neat.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I like OldO, good stuff. But I old fashion with Eagle Rare and Demerara syrup. Can’t be beat for me.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

I tried it not too long ago (the newish bottled in bond version) and was a bit let down. Nothing wrong with it for the price point, but Rittenhouse is noticeably less rough and pretty drinkable neat.

old overholt isn’t anything to write home about, but it’s also like half the price of rittenhouse

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hauki posted:

old overholt isn’t anything to write home about, but it’s also like half the price of rittenhouse

Not to be too contrarian here, but the price difference is like $5 where I live, less if we're comparing the Bonded version of Overholt ($15/$19 versus $20 for Ritt). I'm a big Rittenhouse advocate in any case at that price point.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Not to be too contrarian here, but the price difference is like $5 where I live, less if we're comparing the Bonded version of Overholt ($15/$19 versus $20 for Ritt). I'm a big Rittenhouse advocate in any case at that price point.

I definitely prefer rittenhouse for what it is. I haven’t tried bonded old o, and but the regular bottling was like, $11 here, I’m struggling to think of anything else potable at that price. Ritt is typically $20-$22. I don’t know how much any of this matters unless you’re still in college or something though.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

DoctaFun posted:

Sorry I wasn’t very clear about that , I was still engulfed in happiness from such a delicious bourbon.

Basically, the bourbon nerds at reddit deciphered the meaning of the laser code on different wild turkey bottles. These codes are lasered onto the bottle on the line or right after it’s been bottled or something.

Anyways, for the newest iteration of rare breed, the codes all look like LL/xxxxxx or something. The first letter after the slash refers to the year, in this case I think F is 2017, G is 2018, H is 2019, etc.

The next letter refers to the month, so LL/GA is January 2018, LL/GB is feb 2018, etc.

The remaining digits refer to the exact date and time.

This coincided with a lot of folks on r/bourbon raving about recent bottles of rare breed. After some investigation they settled on the LL/Gxxx bottles being really good, and the were able to somehow confirm from Jimmie Russell that the barrels used to make Rare Breed were trending older and older throughout that year as they were using up more young barrels than expected to meet Longbranch demand.

Hope that makes sense, but I can confirm that my LL/G bottle of rare breed is fantastic right out of the gate, I’m excited to see if it gets better as it oxidizes a bit.

Hell yeah, another bottle to obsessively hunt and hoard now.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
The high volume stores around me have LL now, not too much of a hunt.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Radio Nowhere posted:

The high volume stores around me have LL now, not too much of a hunt.

That’s the nice part, at this point bourbon hoarders don’t give a crap about anything wild turkey really. And let’s be honest, demand won’t rise for the simple reason of ‘tastes really drat good.’

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

DoctaFun posted:

That’s the nice part, at this point bourbon hoarders don’t give a crap about anything wild turkey really. And let’s be honest, demand won’t rise for the simple reason of ‘tastes really drat good.’

Yeah I have given up on most BT products for now. It has gotten very stupid. I have an LL/F bottle of rare breed. It’s good. I’m tempted to track down an LL/G one to compare it to now.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Most of the secondary bourbon groups got shut down on Facebook last week. It'll be interesting to see how that affects retail pricing, if at all.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Gravitee posted:

Most of the secondary bourbon groups got shut down on Facebook last week. It'll be interesting to see how that affects retail pricing, if at all.

Huh. Any official comment or article about it you can share?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Gravitee posted:

I was expecting the shutdown of the big high profile replacements to BSM but was surprised to see my favorite tiny drama-free cost and shipping group shut down too. I didn't even sell anything on it. I just gave away stuff for free. Seems like an odd target for enforcement so must have been identified through algorithm rather than complaints.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEBky7CgSaE2HapvYO6Ja6nQqGQgEKhAIACoHCAow2Nb3CjDivdcCMO7tngY?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

One of my local groups banned sales but a local lottery is still open.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Has anyone been able to procure a bottle of Old Fitzgerald 13? I had a pour and found it quite enjoyable. I wouldn't mind paying a bit over retail for it, but a bunch of clowns are asking for $800 a bottle.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Yes I just got a bottle. $800 is entirely too much, I feel it's worth $200ish for a bottle.

I traded a Four Roses Limited Edition Small Batch for it and I'm glad I did.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Gravitee posted:

Yes I just got a bottle. $800 is entirely too much, I feel it's worth $200ish for a bottle.

I traded a Four Roses Limited Edition Small Batch for it and I'm glad I did.

Shoot. I really got to get on this trading thing. I have access to lots of different bourbons and whiskeys, but I typically drink everything. I’ve gotten Stagg Jr, Weller 12, Yamasaki 12, Blanton, Michers Rye etc. but the one freaking bottle I want...

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

I grabbed a bottle of Russel's Reserve Single Barrel to bring to a party tomorrow. I am excited.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Where on the bottle are these codes? I just looked at some Wild Turkey and Russell's Reserve at a shop and couldn't find it. Not Rare Breed though. I saw a code on the label but it was all numbers.

Reddit says " If you look at the back, underneath the barcode, theres a small code. The first 4 letters are what you're looking for". I'll try again maybe at the VA ABC.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

It's white text below the back label, it's pretty hard to see. Impossible to see on an empty bottle.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Comb Your Beard posted:

Where on the bottle are these codes? I just looked at some Wild Turkey and Russell's Reserve at a shop and couldn't find it. Not Rare Breed though. I saw a code on the label but it was all numbers.

Reddit says " If you look at the back, underneath the barcode, theres a small code. The first 4 letters are what you're looking for". I'll try again maybe at the VA ABC.

More under the legalese text, but here you go. It's a little light, but this is LL/GK

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I went to my local store and they seemed to have moved into LL/H. then I peered into the far and deep back and saw a bottle behind other brand of bourbon and lo and behold it was a LL/G.

There was also a $5 rebate for it so I only paid $32. Pretty decent!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Alarbus posted:

More under the legalese text, but here you go. It's a little light, but this is LL/GK

I'm hitting up the local shoprite liquor tomorrwo to see if I can track any of these down.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

found a store with a couple LL/GK bottles, and a singular LL/GA one. I searched online and I haven't seen anybody talk about the LL/GA bottles, so I'm curious.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I picked up Rare Breed today with an LL/GK stamp. I haven't had Rare Breed before to have a basis for comparison (but I've had plenty of WT101), but this is some tasty bourbon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Enigma posted:

I picked up Rare Breed today with an LL/GK stamp.

Leet Like Geoff K

I managed to find an LL/GI hidden behind a bunch of LL/H bottles at a rural liquor store I stopped at over the weekend. I'm really going to try to blind taste test this with a couple other bourbons for the best chance of not hyping it up in my own mind. Hopefully it turns out to be noticeably good given that I needed more bottles of whiskey like I needed a hole in the head.