Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Script's done for Gremlins 3. Still not sure what to make of it.

https://www.maxim.com/entertainment/gremlins-3-script-finished-2017-8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

COOL CORN posted:

NoES 2 is really good, gently caress all haters

Man, what? People hate NoES 2? I thought most people agreed that was a good movie.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Man, what? People hate NoES 2? I thought most people agreed that was a good movie.

As a person who complained about that movie the last time this came up I'll just say that I don't think it's put together well regardless of its intriguing intentions

e:

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'll admit I didn't know Columbus wrote Gremlins

never woulda figured given his later output, either

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The pool party slaughter is a great setpiece, though, especially for a slasher character that doesn't have a high number of franchise kills under his belt. It's kind of fun to just see Freddy go nuts on a huge group of people all at once.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Tart Kitty posted:

The pool party slaughter is a great setpiece, though, especially for a slasher character that doesn't have a high number of franchise kills under his belt. It's kind of fun to just see Freddy go nuts on a huge group of people all at once.

Love the guy that tries to tell Freddy to just chill out and that no one is going to hurt him. It feels so absurd in comparison to what's happening.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Trailer has me pretty interested so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxIsI-EQ9Xs

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

M_Sinistrari posted:

Trailer has me pretty interested so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxIsI-EQ9Xs

I'm pretty burned out on zombies, but Lupita playing sunshiny Pikmin with a bunch of kids in a living dead infested zoo is a pretty great way to get my attention.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Tart Kitty posted:

I think the premise of Freddy trying to seduce/corrupt someone instead of just being blatantly sadistic is an interesting dimension to the character and pretty in line with Freddy being the personification of abusers/trauma. I feel like people also don't like the film because of the depiction of Freddy's powers being pretty different than past depictions of the character, but I think it introduces elements that would have been cool to incorporate. Dream Warriors is a more liked sequel because it refined and built on the premise of Freddy. 2 sort of inverts how Freddy approaches his victims.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

People don't like NOES2 much because it looks like a cheap piece of poo poo and while it tries to play Freddy straight like the first movie does it accidentally makes him ridiculous because of directorial missteps, and I think the only reason part 3 is so quippy and campy is because there was no way to go back to Freddy being a serious scary monster after 2. The movie was such a rushed cash-in that they initially had no intention of bringing Robert Englund back.

It also throws out a lot of what made Freddy thematically interesting, where kids are being punished for the sins of their parents and the direct tie to his "unjust" death. A lot of the performances outside of Robert Englund are pretty dire, too.

People hated that movie well before the homoerotic subtext became common knowledge, it completely flew over most of the target audience's head when the movie came out but they still thought the movie was a bad sequel.

Like I think it's an interesting film because of that subtext and Robert Englund is good as always but it's just not a very good movie and if I feel like watching a NOES entry it's very unlikely to be the one I pick.

Tart Kitty posted:

It's actually the worst setpiece in the film because it takes a character who was previously known for terrifying dream kills and has him run around like a jackass just kinda stabbing at people. And much like the rest of the film it's shot horribly.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Aug 1, 2019

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

It's actually the worst setpiece in the film because it takes a character who was previously known for terrifying dream kills and has him run around like a jackass just kinda stabbing at people. And much like the rest of the film it's shot horribly.

You know I feel like that could have been saved by holding off on the Freddy transformation just a while longer. Have Freddy control Jesse into spiking the punch with a sleeping medicine or something and have all the kids pass out and do something in the dream world with the pool and torches. But that would have probably been far outside their budget.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Freddy coming out of the guy's chest is horrifying and easily the best scene in the movie

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
That transformation scene is like a top tier horror fx moment that never really got it's due because of the movie surrounding it.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

COOL CORN posted:

NoES 2 is really good, gently caress all haters

I agree, but only strongly since my last watch through the series a few weeks ago. For some reason my rest of series ranking went from something like 7, 4, 5, 2, 6 15 years ago to 2, 6, 4, 7, 5. I think Rachel Talaly rules and deserves credit for having fun in a simple slasher tale that doesn't get too bogged down in lore. 2 just straight up owns.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

M_Sinistrari posted:

No Dante, no deal.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Last time I watched NOES 2 I thought it started off strong but really dragged in the middle. Also I don’t like the pool party scene, Englund looks tiny in it and Freddy is supposed to kill you n your dreams anyway.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Drunkboxer posted:

Last time I watched NOES 2 I thought it started off strong but really dragged in the middle. Also I don’t like the pool party scene, Englund looks tiny in it and Freddy is supposed to kill you n your dreams anyway.

Yeah but pulling him out of the dream world was a precedent set in the original, and pulling other INTO the dreamworld happens in part 3, so it's established that the veil between the waking and dream worlds is thin.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

Yeah but pulling him out of the dream world was a precedent set in the original, and pulling other INTO the dreamworld happens in part 3, so it's established that the veil between the waking and dream worlds is thin.

But doesn’t he just sort of pop through the floor with no explanation?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

fr0id posted:

Are there others that I’m missing? I’m always amazed by the things people know of that I never find mentioned in googled lists of found footage horror.

These are among the best that are rarely or never brought up:

100 Ghost Street: The Return of Richard Speck
The Atticus Institute
Evidence (2013)
The Day Britain Stopped
Paranormal Activity Chapter 2: Tokyo Night
The Midnight Swim
Hangman
15/05/11 - Abandoned Grain Elevator
Area 407
The Cannibal in the Jungle
Black Water Vampire
Last Ride
The Wicksboro Incident
The Modular Body
Emergo (aka Apartment 143)

Not quite horror:

Into the Storm
84 Charlie MoPic
Street Thief: A Filmed Record
Septem8er Tapes
The Great Martian War, 1913-1917
Mermaids: The Body Found
Space Odyssey: Voyage to the Planets
Hickory Never Bleeds
The Forbidden Quest: The Unknown Story of the Hollandia South Pole Expedition, 1905-1906, As Told by Ship's Carpenter J.C. Sullivan

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Drunkboxer posted:

But doesn’t he just sort of pop through the floor with no explanation?

Okay true

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 minutes!

feedmyleg posted:

No Dante, no deal.

FEATURING DANTE FROM THE DEVIL MY CRY GREMLINS SERIES

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

feedmyleg posted:

No Dante, no deal.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Man, I was really confused on this page until it just clicked. I kept reading NOES2 as NOS4A2 and was wondering where this critical reevaluation was coming from.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hey I put all the mentioned found footage movies into a list on Letterboxd. I'd be happy to add more.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

graventy posted:

Hey I put all the mentioned found footage movies into a list on Letterboxd. I'd be happy to add more.

I haven’t seen Guardians of the Galaxy but I don’t think it’s found footage.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

graventy posted:

Just remembered The Gallows, which I don't think has been mentioned yet. I thought it was pretty good.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Drunkboxer posted:

I haven’t seen Guardians of the Galaxy but I don’t think it’s found footage.

The Asylum version is

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

The Asylum version is

I don’t get it

:sweatdrop:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Drunkboxer posted:

I don’t get it

The Asylum is notorious for knocking out dirt cheap rip offs of big budget movies with similar titles to confuse well meaning grandmothers. Think "Transformers" vs. "Transmorphers"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Evidence 2011

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/jonahray/status/1156818957489229829?s=20

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

James gets me. Nightmare 5 is a slog, piece of rancid rear end festering in the sun.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Count me as another one who tried to get into that guys youtube videos and I just couldn't deal with his annoying cadence. Also in the few minutes I watched I didn't find him funny, but I probably didn't watch long enough to judge that.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

fr0id posted:

So over the course of the horror threads I’ve gotten some really amazing recommendations for Found Footage, which is basically my favorite genre. Maybe I just really like that sense of voyeurism, given that I chose to be a therapist and spend my day heating people’s secrets. Anyway, I was wondering if there are any awesome found footage horror things I’ve yet to see. Ima do a list below of what I know of in no particular order.

Blair Witch
Grave Encounters 1 and 2
Paranormal Activity
VHS 1, 2, and 3
REC 1 and 2
Butterfly Kisses
Without Warning
Savagelands
The Borderlands
Tokyo Videos of Horror
WNUF Halloween Special
Ghostwatch
Noroi: the curse
Afflicted
As above so below
Lake Mungo
Hellhouse LLC
Willow Creek
The Pyramid
They’re Watching
The Visit
Area 51
Unfriended 1 and 2
Creep 1 and 2
Devils Pass
The Den
The Bay
The Conspiracy
The Last Exorcism
Troll Hunter
Cloverfield

Suggested by others: (* if I’ve seen it)
Incident at Lake County: Alien Abudction
The McPherson Tape
*S&Man (must watch)
The Last Broadcast (sucks but has historical significance.)
Home Movie (is okay.)
*Europa Report
*The Tunnel (2011)
Koji Shiraishi has a few other found footage movies that aren't as good as Noroi but worth a watch (Occult, Shirome, Cult)
Man Bites Dog (more comedy than horror)
*Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
*Incident at Loch Ness (starring Werner Herzog as Werner Herzog making a movie about Loch Ness) (more comedy than horror)

Are there others that I’m missing? I’m always amazed by the things people know of that I never find mentioned in googled lists of found footage horror.
Escape from Tomorrow
To Jennifer
Lunopolis (more sci-fi than horror)
Be My Cat: A Film For Anne
Capture Kill Release
In Memorium
Media Studies
The Forbidden Files

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I like the concept of the review series he presents but his voice dredges up memories of used car salesmen commercials and late night infomercials

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like it. I like weird voices that aren’t movieblob’s

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

I like it. I like weird voices that aren’t movieblob’s

Someone described it a few pages back as "youtube voice", which I thought was pretty accurate. They all seem to have been trained in the school of artificially raising and lowering their cadence in a regular rhythm regardless of what's actually being said, I assume because the idea is that a droll, monotone voice is bad. Which it is, but I think this is just as bad in it's own way. There's one guy who's videos I watch sometimes(sports related, not horror related) and he forces his voice to go so high for emphasis that his voice ends up cracking half the time. It's ridiculous.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm fairly sure it's done to make each sentence have the same cadence and intonation, so that it's far easier to edit together a video in a totally arbitrary order. And then as always happens, people imitate it unaware of what the actual purpose of it is.

Basebf555 posted:

Someone described it a few pages back as "youtube voice", which I thought was pretty accurate. They all seem to have been trained in the school of artificially raising and lowering their cadence in a regular rhythm regardless of what's actually being said, I assume because the idea is that a droll, monotone voice is bad. Which it is, but I think this is just as bad in it's own way. There's one guy who's videos I watch sometimes(sports related, not horror related) and he forces his voice to go so high for emphasis that his voice ends up cracking half the time. It's ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5HZ60MaZWI

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 1, 2019

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Can this count as feature film of the year if I watch it 600 times?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Count me as another one who tried to get into that guys youtube videos and I just couldn't deal with his annoying cadence. Also in the few minutes I watched I didn't find him funny, but I probably didn't watch long enough to judge that.

He's not good because he's funny; he's good because he understands film more than practically every other Youtube reviewer, while still being an admitted fan of cheesy horror. He'd be perfectly at home posting here, really (and then you wouldn't have to hear Youtube voice, if you hate it).

And yeah, outside of the remake, NOES 5 is clearly the absolute worst. 2 doesn't feel like a Nightmare film, but its a drat interesting film on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Can this count as feature film of the year if I watch it 600 times?

What, no love for Alien Kid Doing Fortnite Dances In The Driveway At 3 AM (2019, DP: NEST Camera)?