Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so fuckin' cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I wish they would have just lifted the HnG translation wholesale and threw them some money instead of giving us this lifeless translation we got for the anime.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Dudley's gently caress grill didn't make it in, but luckily Mr Penis Head made it in unadulterated as the artists originally intended.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lihito

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Jerry's theme music is fantastic

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I was pleasantly surprised. The cheapness often shows, but the actual fights were good. My main issue was the pacing, a lot of side characters and subplots kinda get pushed out which is a lot of what makes the series so charming. One major omission was Medicine Man's fight which was a shame, but they hit most of the other major beats.

One thing I loved was the heavily stylized cutaways for explanations and backstory. They have a really rough and loosely animated motion comic sort of thing going on with a more vibrant color palette and it looks awesome while still being pretty cheap to produce.

The fights ranged from decent to legitimately awesome. They really got a lot of the fine details of the movements down which was nice to see, but that was always one thing I was optimistic about.

It's not exactly the show we wanted, but I still really enjoyed it. It ends with Ohma's first fight in the tournament, so I'm really hoping we get a season 2 because the fights after that are some of my favorite in the series, and the beard will finally begin his rampage.

E:woops there was another episode, Murobuchi Gozo got loving robbed god drat it, that was one of the coolest fights in the early block despite being a job and they cut it down to just the last punch

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 31, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol this is ugly af

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've been pronouncing tokita wrong all this time

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

tweet my meat posted:

Dudley's gently caress grill didn't make it in, but luckily Mr Penis Head made it in unadulterated as the artists originally intended.

I’m sorry, what?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol at yoshitake meeting kazzy again despite us not seeing it and this apparently being the first kengan fight

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Apologies for live posting but these 12 episodes surely can't cover the entire tournament

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jose posted:

Apologies for live posting but these 12 episodes surely can't cover the entire tournament

It stops at the Ryo fight

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Plutonis posted:

It stops at the Ryo fight

I haven't watched it yet but that might make it so the next season ends with the ending of round 1 of the tourney. Season three would cover round 2 and the coup attempt and 4 would be the quarter finals onward?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lol they cut the Wakatsuki/Murobuchi fight to just the punch

e: also sorry the adaptation ends at the Muteba/Meguro fight

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 1, 2019

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Jose posted:

What the gently caress he's an important character too

This is probably an exaggeration. His contribution to the story is to be an early roadblock to help prove that Ohma is a contender, then he basically vanishes entirely from the plot for the entire manga(barring a few jokey "camping out on the island with his good buddy" scenes that are ultimately irrelevant) before pulling a single trick at the end which you could easily just adjust to having been done by someone else.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kaburagi seemed like he would be important later on, since he was hanging out on the island secretly all that time. as it turned out, he was not important later on. if they had to ditch any character for the anime, kaburagi's probably the best choice.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I do like that the OP has Kazzy breaking out some sick martial arts moves, that's about all the positive things I can say for the anime aside from the fact it's made me re-read a bunch of chapters today

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oof, my girl shion's design. she looks like she might conceivably give a gently caress, which we all know shion would never do.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

oof, my girl shion's design. she looks like she might conceivably give a gently caress, which we all know shion would never do.

After Hatsumi was beaten by Agito in their match and was lying down on the arena floor, Shion rushed over to Hatsumi's side with an extremely concerned look on her face. She's a tsundere at heart.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

JosephWongKS posted:

After Hatsumi was beaten by Agito in their match and was lying down on the arena floor, Shion rushed over to Hatsumi's side with an extremely concerned look on her face. She's a tsundere at heart.

she almost gave a gently caress, but then immediately thought better of it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
She also gave a gently caress when Setsuna turned out to be a major psycho.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
shion realized she was in danger from her super crazy murdery fighter, and then her reaction was to shrug and continue with the tournament.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
This show mostly looks like poo poo, but occasionally looks decent (when it's 2D) and rarely looks loving AMAZING (Raian using removal, for example). The sound design is great and the music is excellent, the OP is a banger.

I just can't decide if this is decent or not, it just looks so ugly usually. But all the flashback poo poo looks good, and each fight usually has a few moments that look outstanding. The occasional switch to 2D art in the normal poo poo is really jarring, even more so when they just drop the 2D art in with 3D poo poo.

It almost feels like they were originally planning to use the 3D models as a base and then replacing it with the 2D art. Because in some scenes that clearly DID happen.

Everyone in this thread knows how strong the source material is, and I would for sure recommend anyone who likes the manga to at least watch Raian's fight.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm glad the kept the entirety of Jerry Tyson's back story, it's my favorite backstory. Also he sounds like Bobobo to me.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Palate cleanser

https://mangadex.org/chapter/677626

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
RIP Koga, it was nice knowing him but I guess we're following Gaoh from now on

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

is that wakatsukis place?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Seki is such a bro.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jose posted:

is that wakatsukis place?

Yes this is where Waka was training before being banished for participating in the kengan matches. Also Koga shares the same family name as one of their members who appears in Sandrovich's webcomic Fist of the Seeker. Specifically Chapter 7.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Brought To You By posted:

Yes this is where Waka was training before being banished for participating in the kengan matches. Also Koga shares the same family name as one of their members who appears in Sandrovich's webcomic Fist of the Seeker. Specifically Chapter 7.

At 34 it could be Koga's dad.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
A few things about the anime. I'll probably get into detail about the changes eventually but skipping the scene where Kazzy is getting yelled at and just basically not paying attention to his boss and especially not even mentioning his second son is a real shame. He thanks Ohma for how much his life has changed but we didn't actually get to see a lot of how it changed in the anime. That scene where Ohma beats up the biker gang was a great moment.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Kazzy and Ken being really good friends despite having barely met is weird

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Doesn't wakatsuki fight in b block hence him facing ohma in the semi finals?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Chapter 28 is out and I have to say, if we get many more chapters like this it's going to really suck the air out of the already fairly obvious reveal that Koga and Kazuo are distant relatives

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

https://mangadex.org/chapter/684501

in which koga pulls the unsurprising move of talking poo poo

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

where the red fern gropes posted:

https://mangadex.org/chapter/684501

in which koga pulls the unsurprising move of talking poo poo

I'm keeping a tally of how many times this backfires on Koga.
  • vs Ohms (offscreen)
    Don't pick fights in an alley you moron
  • VS Ryuki (Chapter 3)
    Don't call yourself a worm even as an analogy
  • VS Kokuro (Chapter 5)
    Did you not learn your lesson the last time you fought in an alley
  • vs Himuro (Chapter 9)
    Don't interrupt the teacher when class is in session
  • vs Jose (Chapter 12)
    Guy didn't even need to put his hands on you
  • vs Uncle Joji (Chapter 28)
    Don't talk down to your uncle you moron.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Poor Koga can't take a break.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Koga is the definition of "talk poo poo, get hit".

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

Chapter 28 is out and I have to say, if we get many more chapters like this it's going to really suck the air out of the already fairly obvious reveal that Koga and Kazuo are distant relatives

they don't need to be relatives to have the same ability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dias posted:

Koga is the definition of "talk poo poo, get hit".

To Koga's credit, his usual reaction to getting hit is "I respect that you have hit me and I was wrong to talk poo poo." Which somehow makes it funnier than he keeps doing it.