Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

No.1 Special posted:

Pretty good finale. Jessica Walter was great in the last part. Can't wait to see if Archer is able to claw his way back.

The silent pan on her things in that scene was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010
It's howmever.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Jerkface posted:

Really liked all the gags in this episode. Especially with the bit with the sentry guns.

I loved that!

I also liked how toward the end of this season, characters began to lampshade things, which was a subtle hint that Archer was coming to his senses. In the penultimate episode, they mentioned several times how convenient it was that one small scanner could perform so many diverse tasks. For the finale, Pam asks a question that I honestly would never have asked--why does the ship have a huge, full-sized courtroom at all? Charlene/Carol/Cristal comments that she has to sleep in a tiny space while the useless courtroom is big enough for two and a half racquetball courts, and someone also mentions that they actually have a holodeck... which could have been used to simulate a courtroom if needed. Or, also if needed, 2.5 racquetball courts.

This was pretty good for a finale. I would have liked to see a full hour so they could explore the walls of reality breaking down around Archer, but what we got was good, and the montage at the end where we take a tour of Archer Through The Ages was neat. You can tell how far the animation has come over the years by looking at that sequence.

Also, I'm glad that the ending wasn't a false ending where Archer is having that last-minute dream where he thinks he's awakened but hasn't. I say that because I was starting to get an Oedipal vibe out of the scene where Malory was getting close to Sterling and talking about love.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

tarlibone posted:

This was pretty good for a finale. I would have liked to see a full hour so they could explore the walls of reality breaking down around Archer, but what we got was good, and the montage at the end where we take a tour of Archer Through The Ages was neat.
They could have scrapped episodes 1-6 and just started with episode seven, then had things gradually break down over the course of several episodes instead of Archer just starting to get flashes of reality at the last minute. And maybe make it a six episode season instead of 9 since they clearly didn't have enough material for the amount of time they needed to fill.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I smiled it showed that Mallory stayed for 3 YEARS. Also yeah next season is gonna be rollercoaster.

Welcome back Archer.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Definitely weird to see clips from the pilot and just how bad the animation used to be.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

muscles like this! posted:

Definitely weird to see clips from the pilot and just how bad the animation used to be.

Go back and watch Frisky Dingo sometime (Jokes are still great).

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Jerkface posted:

Really liked all the gags in this episode. Especially with the bit with the sentry guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS2PtmM9mwU

In case anyone else didn't get the reference at first.

"Director's cut?"

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Aug 2, 2019

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

SimonChris posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS2PtmM9mwU

In case anyone else didn't get the reference at first.

"Director's cut?"

I figured it was from one of those movies, considering the fact that they actually had the computer warn of "xenomorphs," but I had forgotten about this scene.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
That was a fantastic ending and I enjoyed the back half the season so much. I really look forward to non-coma Archer.

Kesper North posted:

The silent pan on her things in that scene was fantastic.

It was :perfect:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

OneTruePecos posted:

It's howmever.

That was amazing.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
"Order! Or I'll hold you all in a... different sort of contempt."

Oh, Ray. :allears:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I like that they brought back Woodhouse _______________________________ even if it was for one scene.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Was all around better than the first couple episodes had me believing but I don't think it was quite as good on the whole as last season. That said, the robot bomb episode was better than anything last season.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah, Mr. Deadly and the one where they invaded the space pirate ship were definite highlights alongside a really solid finale.

As for Lana next season, I'm torn between her having moved on but now dealing with Archer back in her life or her actually holding out hope for him.

There was obvious affection growing between them and it was good for both of them as people. To write all of that off would suck.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 3, 2019

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

The last half of this season was good.

The last but if the finale were great.

And those end credits!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I was just thinking about how nice it was to do a little callback to the Catch-22 gag from last season. They also made it a Mr. Mom reference, which was neat.

And I'll second the motion on the slow pan of Malory's corner of Archer's hospital room. I also liked how she started gossiping with the nurse, which was a nice touch by the writer to show just how much time she'd spent there.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The archers have incredible insurance

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Canadian hospital.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I really enjoyed 1999 and am glad to see that the last few seasons were a coma dream after all. :v:

I had heard this would be the last season, and the final sequence certainly would have worked out for an ending, but I am glad we get more adventures! :woop:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I can't believe nobody told me this was out. I had to learn about it from Netflix, of all places.

Binged the whole thing over the course of my sunday. I wasn't a fan of the first two episodes, but all of the standalones were solid as hell and I'd watch another three seasons of those. Kinda mixed feelings about Archer's breakdown; it wasn't exactly subtle and the rapey murder attempt on Lana was really uncomfortable. Him going after a giant reptile with Predator powers in the Picard episode was also way more heroic than his last stand against Barry, and I cannot believe that got glossed over.

The montage and wake-up scene were also good. I swear they re-animated all of those scenes while sticking to the older styles, because some of those frames were hella tight.

It sounds like the next (last?) season is gonna be more arcy than episodic, which is a shame because I think they do the latter a lot better, but I am on board.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I keep seeing this advertised to me on Netflix and, well... click through to the youtube page and read like the top 20 comments on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kgLo8vudXg

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I'd say it's closer to Team America.

Not that that helps it, but every character just does the stupidest possible action every single time. No I cannot give examples I dont remember anything from it.

Good background noise it doesn't grab your attention at all.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I watched the entire (I think) first episode of that and the only thing I can remember was that I absolutely hated it. In a desperate act of self defense my brain blocked out all the details.

Seeing a trailer linked after all this time I was scared they might have made a second season, thank god they didn't.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
According to FX's Twitter, the new season starts May 6th.

https://twitter.com/FXNetworks/status/1215337062645133312

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Season 11 Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ0U39heCVI

Tacti-Cane!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oh that looks fantastic

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The completely changed character dynamics are going to be a lot of fun.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

Trailers are serious business.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

orcane posted:

The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

Trailers are serious business.

Same, here's a re-upload that worked for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_btcnSs9zn4

Edit: Oh, and the show's back September 16th.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Hmmmm lack of Ray in that trailer. Maybe he wised up and got a better job.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Cyril is going to be so obnoxious. It's going to be great

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I was with everyone saying they were glad to see Archer going out while it still had some grace, but yeah, ok. I'm into this.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
When was Archer ever going to go out with grace. I mean the man is a living faux pas.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I predict Archer is going to end up in jail (actual or someone's prisoner) or be dead face down in a swimming pool (for real this time) before this is over

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I don't know, I fully expect this show to end very anticlimactically. Like, the last line is one of their recurring non-sequiturs, snare drum, closing credits.

And I'm fine with it, because that's in keeping with the spirit of the show.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Adam Reed's talked about wanting to end the show with a TV movie which could be fun but at the same time some episodes feel stretched as they are.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

You would write it for that length, and mostly you know it's the end so you tie everything up nice, that can take awhile to say goodbye to every character in an 11 season show, some coma dream characters would have to come back. Really I just want Matt Berry to reprise his role as Mr. Deadly.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’ve been rewatching some of my old favorites and it’s insane how much snappier they felt when they were more episodic and less serial. There’s more jokes in the cold open of “once bitten” than some whole episodes of Dreamland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Not sure if anyone is going to start a new thread, but the new season is starting now.