Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
So I submitted a comic at comixology. It's a compilation of about 80 pages of jokes and small pages I made a long time ago for various European magazines.
I don't know if they'll approve it, but I was a bit shocked to find out it takes up to 3 months for them to tell you, and even if they do it's another 8 weeks before it's even on their site.
I'm not sure if you can submit anything yet in other languages, and since most of these stories were originally in Dutch or French, I was thinking about selling these versions somewhere else.
But I don't know where. The only Dutch/French online comic platform only takes submissions from big publishers. I would like to sell a pdf or something somewhere, but sites like bigcartel ask a monthly payment, and we all know these comics don't sell enough to make that an option.
Maybe I should just give it away on my site with a donate button to paypal or something, I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

mrfart posted:

So I submitted a comic at comixology. It's a compilation of about 80 pages of jokes and small pages I made a long time ago for various European magazines.
I don't know if they'll approve it, but I was a bit shocked to find out it takes up to 3 months for them to tell you, and even if they do it's another 8 weeks before it's even on their site.
I'm not sure if you can submit anything yet in other languages, and since most of these stories were originally in Dutch or French, I was thinking about selling these versions somewhere else.
But I don't know where. The only Dutch/French online comic platform only takes submissions from big publishers. I would like to sell a pdf or something somewhere, but sites like bigcartel ask a monthly payment, and we all know these comics don't sell enough to make that an option.
Maybe I should just give it away on my site with a donate button to paypal or something, I don't know.

Maybe Gumroad? You can set it so the thing is avaible for free but people can also donate while they get the download link.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Ritznit posted:

Maybe Gumroad? You can set it so the thing is avaible for free but people can also donate while they get the download link.
Gumroad is really good, I’ve used them for probably 8 years? I sell both physical and digital items and have never had a problem.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Neon Noodle posted:

Gumroad is really good, I’ve used them for probably 8 years? I sell both physical and digital items and have never had a problem.

Their payment plans seem confusing now. The links on their help page don't work anymore.
Do you pay a monthly fee, or just a percentage on a sale?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

mrfart posted:

Their payment plans seem confusing now. The links on their help page don't work anymore.
Do you pay a monthly fee, or just a percentage on a sale?
Percentage on sales.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Neon Noodle posted:

Percentage on sales.

Thanks for the advice.

I gave it a go:

https://gum.co/theprof

I'm sure I'll make a fortune :)

The first stuff is very rough, but I wanted to make it chronologically and give a little 'history' of the comic scene in Belgium.
Anyway, never got to do much with this character, as it was deemed too alternative for the market.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Shinmera posted:

I feel like the internet also makes the whole popularity thing a lot harder, because it's so easy to see all the successes out there, people with thousands or millions of readers. If you're not happy with your work by yourself, as many creatives are prone to be, it's really hard to justify doing it if it looks like nobody even cares anyway.

That's pretty much why I've been unwilling to open up much about my husband and I's own work. We've been a team for seven years now, and our longest project passed it's 300th page a little while back. Even so, we've stuck with our tiny audience on Deviant Art, our even tinier audience on Comic Fury, and our ten or so people on Patreon.

Seeing how successful others are is disheartening, so we keep our heads down and keep pumping out pages. That's good for pages, but terrible for exposure.

Anyone have some good ideas for exposure? I've heard Reddit is good, and folks have been talking about Twitter. We're not sure how the Twitter aspect works but we can figure it out.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Plethora posted:

That's pretty much why I've been unwilling to open up much about my husband and I's own work. We've been a team for seven years now, and our longest project passed it's 300th page a little while back. Even so, we've stuck with our tiny audience on Deviant Art, our even tinier audience on Comic Fury, and our ten or so people on Patreon.
sup 300 page milestone buddy :unsmith:

What's been people here's experience with having serious or currently political topics in their comics? I have some genderqueer storylines on the backburner and even though I have 5 readers total I'm just afraid about explicitly "going there" in regards to the way internet people can react to stuff if anyone did start paying attention. (either anger because they don't think XYZ topic is real/deserves attention, or because I'm not portraying something the way they feel is the correct and right way to portray something)
Idk, I'm just getting a feeling of concern that's making me want to back down from writing that part of the character's story even though it's been telegraphed more or less from the start :/

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Go there, but go with humility. Probably a cool idea to seek out comments from someone affected by the issue.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 2, 2019

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
:wave: Hey thread! Here's a sneak peek of a story I did for Iron Circus Comix's "YOU DIED" anthology:

My previous story was only 8 pages long, and this one ran all the way up to the 20-page limit, and it ended up involving a bit more work than I predicted. I actually planned to go past the 20 pages so I could decompress the layouts a bit (I ended up with multiple pages with ~10 panels, which is a bit much), but I ended up running out of time for that :smith: . Still, I'd say it ended up looking rather nicely, if I do say so myself :3:

Anyway, the anthology's kickstarter just launched! It's :10bux: for a digital download, :10bux::10bux: for a physical copy. It's 240 pages in total and plenty of great artists.
If you're interested in snatching one, going through this referral link would be greatly appreciated!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

That looks well good, I love the dramatic lighting when she shouts.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
..... But what happens next?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I feel like I'm almost at the end of this

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I like it!

e: Though you've missed the 'lol, somebody else's problem' take.

lofi fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 21, 2019

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Neon Noodle posted:

this is incredible

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

thanks, man. I'm so depressed I can't even blink.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Neon Noodle posted:

thanks, man. I'm so depressed I can't even blink.
we were always born right here, right now. you know your work and you're doing amazingly. that comic touched a mutual grief in me like very little else has in years.

i hope you feel better soon :sympathy:

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
also technically perfect in craftsmanship and layout etc

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

nankeen posted:

we were always born right here, right now. you know your work and you're doing amazingly. that comic touched a mutual grief in me like very little else has in years.

i hope you feel better soon :sympathy:

also technically perfect in craftsmanship and layout etc
Thanks a lot, that means a lot to me. I'm trying to figure out how to get this poo poo out of my system without falling down a bottomless pit. I did Cute poo poo for so long and I wish I could return to the innocence of that, but obviously that's not how life works.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Neon Noodle posted:

Thanks a lot, that means a lot to me. I'm trying to figure out how to get this poo poo out of my system without falling down a bottomless pit. I did Cute poo poo for so long and I wish I could return to the innocence of that, but obviously that's not how life works.
the cute poo poo will come back to you. that joy isn't something you ever lose, it just gets temporarily eclipsed now and then by the shadow of the overhanging *

that's seriously one of the best and most original metaphors i've seen in ages, it's instantly sunk into my psyche. the shadow of the *. you might have to be prepared for this to go kind of viral once you officially release it

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
...how weird was the loving "undetected planet-destroying meteor passing closer than the moon" thing

like at this point everything about the real world just seems like stylistic overkill

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I totally missed that! When? (I've given up reading the news, it's just selling misery now, gently caress that.)

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

lofi posted:

I totally missed that! When? (I've given up reading the news, it's just selling misery now, gently caress that.)
lol it was really that random, a few weeks ago the news was just like "earth was narrowly missed overnight by a continent-smashing asteroid that passed closer than the orbit of the moon, because it came from the direction of the sun it remained undetected by any systems until it was very close" and there wasn't really anything to say but welp

it just makes the visual/textual metaphor even more timely. nn's comic is channelling the zeitgeist, whatever the hell that actually means

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

It means 'trending' afaict. :eng101:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

the zeitgeist is the timeghost :iiam:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

nankeen posted:

lol it was really that random, a few weeks ago the news was just like "earth was narrowly missed overnight by a continent-smashing asteroid that passed closer than the orbit of the moon, because it came from the direction of the sun it remained undetected by any systems until it was very close" and there wasn't really anything to say but welp

it just makes the visual/textual metaphor even more timely. nn's comic is channelling the zeitgeist, whatever the hell that actually means

My response to hearing about this was smoking some weed and listening to Built to Spill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb1RlzyWHm4

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Dang that’s a good comic! Nice work.

Neon Noodle posted:

Do what I do and use cute art to explore the hosed up things that piss you off.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Neon Noodle's been one of the best posters in this thread and that work is grade A+ stuff. Well done.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
Mike Spittle's expression kills me.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Johnny-on-the-Spot posted:

Mike Spittle's expression kills me.

The pinched sphincter-like face of a man who ardently gives a poo poo about how much he does not give a poo poo

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's just missing Frumpton le Doosh, the spokesperson for PregoU who buys Youtube ads on popular videos aimed at a teenage audience telling them how becoming politically active is regressive leftism.

e: My favorite thing is that deusXmachina isn't even a scary corporate name when there's a data spying company literally called Palantir. I was going to say there's a company called Cyberdyne as a joke but joke's on me, there's a Japanese company called Cyberdyne that makes powered exoskeletons called loving HAL and Saudi Arabia is a big investor in them.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 22, 2019

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neon Noodle posted:

this should get published on the nib

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

You guys, you guys are some nice guys. :kimchi: Thanks.

Unfortunately I can't submit that to the Nib, they don't publish anything that's already been online anywhere. But I am planning to pitch to them soon.

tenshianna
Oct 31, 2012

Hey fellow comic-maker-goons, just want to drop a link to a video series I'm starting on comic making techniques, may or may not be of interest to folks here. Starting with using 3D tool for 2D art and other various bits and bobs, just chatting through how I construct a comic page really. Might be a bit basic for people here, but I'm aiming to de-mystify the process for people who might be less experienced or perhaps just want to have a look in at how a different artist works maybe? I dunno...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8gA7ylV2yo

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

tenshianna posted:

Hey fellow comic-maker-goons, just want to drop a link to a video series I'm starting on comic making techniques, may or may not be of interest to folks here. Starting with using 3D tool for 2D art and other various bits and bobs, just chatting through how I construct a comic page really. Might be a bit basic for people here, but I'm aiming to de-mystify the process for people who might be less experienced or perhaps just want to have a look in at how a different artist works maybe? I dunno...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8gA7ylV2yo
Subscribed! This is cool. I like long process videos.

Here's the first couple pages of my next thing:

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Neon Noodle posted:

Here's the first couple pages of my next thing:

i'm sold

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

I like this cute frog

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Neon Noodle posted:

I was reading this thread because I am going to post my webcomic later but I wanted to say that this is incredible and you should finish it.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Thanks. :) Here's the next few pages:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i bet you'd like piku niku