Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

redeyes posted:

YES! A8 Army.

Crinicle rated it an A= if it matters.. which makes it the 2nd cheapest A class IEM aside from the EX800ST. I own the 800st and prefer the a8.

Also I have the KPE as well and you can amp the bass up to incredible levels. True basshead even. No worries for the KxxS. The A8 is tuned very similarly to both those iems and refined to a higher degree as you would expect.

Where is his A8 review? I'm guessing patreon only at the moment. A= is pretty awesome, I'm keen on the non-FR performance because I know moondrop can hit the Harman better than anyone else.

My impressions are still in the post. I wonder how their new flagship with the electret tweeter is going to compare. I think they also have another just called "reference" on the way too. I hope the FOMO in me doesn't end up doubling my budget and getting one of them :haha:

I love Harman, so I'm keen on refined imaging and detail while keeping the curve.

I'm almost want the KxxS just for how loving stunning it looks tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I read the OP's opinion on beats, and agree. I've always hated the brand. What is the goon consensus on Powerbeat pros.

I am mainly just interested in the apple tech. I can go from my train commute to my desk job to the gym with no hassle and nothing big to carry around.

I also like that they are not IEMs but offer some degree of isolation and low end response. I have very small ear canals and IEMs get uncomfortable fast.

OK they are overpriced as poo poo, but let's ignore that.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

headcase posted:

I read the OP's opinion on beats, and agree. I've always hated the brand. What is the goon consensus on Powerbeat pros.

I am mainly just interested in the apple tech. I can go from my train commute to my desk job to the gym with no hassle and nothing big to carry around.

I also like that they are not IEMs but offer some degree of isolation and low end response. I have very small ear canals and IEMs get uncomfortable fast.

OK they are overpriced as poo poo, but let's ignore that.

they're class leading and beats isn't what it used to be back in the day, well as much as it used to be. best wireless iem's currently as an overall package. only big negative is the case.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/beats/powerbeats-pro-truly-wireless

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

5-HT posted:

they're class leading and beats isn't what it used to be back in the day, well as much as it used to be. best wireless iem's currently as an overall package. only big negative is the case.

Thanks for the validation of my purchase! that page is a really nice resource.

My only concern with the powerbeats is durability. I've worn the same HD600s for 19 years now at my desk. I'm worried about these even lasting the year. $250 is too much for some temporary convenience.

The feeling of freedom and musicality of the headphones is a magical combo though. Definitely gave me some good feelings walking around the neighborhood in the evening. You forget your are wearing headphones.

headcase fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 28, 2019

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
They seem pretty durable, but the batteries will be quite diminished in about 3 years or so assuming average usage.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Anything that involves a non-removable battery should really be considered a medium-term disposable rather than a long term purchase. Which, for headphones, is pure rear end. It's not like they go obsolete.

I don't think there's a way around it for those "true wireless" buds, and due to the tiny battery and frequent recharging I'd call 3 years pretty generous.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

5-HT posted:

The most important line of that review is at the bottom where they say that the sound is basically the same as powerbeats 3. The pros do have the best airpod feature though - it'll turn on and pair automatically when you stick it in your ear and auto-pause when you take it out. All bluetooth headphones should do that.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Clark Nova posted:

The most important line of that review is at the bottom where they say that the sound is basically the same as powerbeats 3. The pros do have the best airpod feature though - it'll turn on and pair automatically when you stick it in your ear and auto-pause when you take it out. All bluetooth headphones should do that.

I would say they sound good enough for what they are and fun and punchy for working out.

I can't believe that there is no way to change the batteries. Not even apple can do it?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I think it must be about as expensive as replacing the headphones. In such a small sealed (to be sweat resistant) system it would be tough to design something that was serviceable.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I guess you could put battery life in the "Pro" category for PBPs if it is anywhere near the 9 hours they claim, cutting that to 1/3 in a few years will still be in line with other manufacturers.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

headcase posted:

I can't believe that there is no way to change the batteries. Not even apple can do it?

Apple is the worst offender when it comes to gluing batteries in the history of electronics manufacturing. They practically invented modern planned obsolescence.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Apple is the worst offender when it comes to gluing batteries in the history of electronics manufacturing. They practically invented modern planned obsolescence.

Oh great here we go with this....

Let’s just totally disregard all the other mfgs like anker who probably pump out 2x as many cheap headphones with the same issue.

Everyone is doing it and have been doing it for long time now.

Not that it’s right at all but to single Apple out as the worst offender is a little disingenuous.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I'm specifically referring to laptop and phone designs. They probably weren't first to market with lipos glued into a unibody but good lord did they make it popular. My point is you shouldn't be shocked that Apple isn't making products that users can fix, they spend a lot of money making sure that can't happen.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

As evidenced by my 20 year old HD600s. I have gone to great lengths to avoid planned obsolescence. I've got a pair of copper turbines that finally broke (my all time favorite IEM), some etymotics, and some UEs. I hate batteries in general, and I've always scoffed at bluetooth audio. I'm really not sure why I'm dipping my toe into it at this point, except that I'm spending a lot more time in the gym/train lately. Here's to hoping that I get 3 good years out of powerbeats, and that something worlds better is out by then.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

headcase posted:

I would say they sound good enough for what they are and fun and punchy for working out.

Most bigger headphone companies actually do offer a battery exchange service for a fee, at least for the normal sized headphones, some even for TWS.

When B&O made the H9i with an exchangeable battery they got poo poo on for the mediocre battery life. Now they seal it in in the H9 and the battery life is fine, because of the larger battery.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

This is why my next notebook is going to be another Lenovo Thinkpad. I haven't had to replace or repair anything but if it was necessary I know it's always an option.

Far as headphones go I've found that IEMs with attached cables are lucky to last 3-4 years under regular use. If you're unlucky it's possible to ruin them in a month or two depending on the contents of your pocket. Ones with replacable cables should in theory last longer, depending on quality of materials and assembly.

I totally get why you'd want wireless "disposable" IEMs or headphones though. Cable noise when I walk around drives me nuts BUT you can also buy non-microphonic cables, which is key. The stock cable supplied with the Tin T3 is a good example of the microphonic free variety.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I wish more people would make cables like the monster turbines. I don't know what magic is contained in them, but they are impossible to tangle and don't really transmit sound.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'm specifically referring to laptop and phone designs. They probably weren't first to market with lipos glued into a unibody but good lord did they make it popular. My point is you shouldn't be shocked that Apple isn't making products that users can fix, they spend a lot of money making sure that can't happen.

Say what you will but my Nexus 5 phone stopped receiving android security updates after only 2 years. That’s essentially planned obsolescence in the phone world. Apple keeps devices relevant/software updates for at least 5 years

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Thanks to everyone itt who recommended the tin t2, they’re fuckin phenomenal for $30 aliexpress earbuds :cheers:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Rolled over the cable of my cheap Panasonics once too often and I need some new headphones.
Did a few minutes of comparing and what I'm looking for seem to be Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's after I put in closed over-ear, detachable 3.5mm cable, sub 100€. Also heavy build for daily use.
If anyone could point me in the direction of a similar product where the ear muffler things are not made of faux leather but fabric mesh or something?, I'd be grateful :) 100 bucks stretching is my budget too, but oh well.

Cheers

e; also the 64Ohms impedance make me a bit nervous. Wouldn't 32 be more suited to hook to a standard mainboard 3.5mm output, no amp?

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 1, 2019

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

sauer kraut posted:

Rolled over the cable of my cheap Panasonics once too often and I need some new headphones.
Did a few minutes of comparing and what I'm looking for seem to be Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's after I put in closed over-ear, detachable 3.5mm cable, sub 100€. Also heavy build for daily use.
If anyone could point me in the direction of a similar product where the ear muffler things are not made of faux leather but fabric mesh or something?, I'd be grateful :) 100 bucks stretching is my budget too, but oh well.

Cheers

e; also the 64Ohms impedance make me a bit nervous. Wouldn't 32 be more suited to hook to a standard mainboard 3.5mm output, no amp?

I've never heard them myself, but a budget option that people have good things to say about is the OneOdio Studio. They do ship with faux leather pads, but they probably could be replaced with foam or some other type of universal replacement pads. Might be worth looking into.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Beyerdynamic USA sells like-new refurb Custom Ones for $110 on eBay, being German its possible you could find them even cheaper in Europe. Not in a position to check right now.

E: vvvv they're literally DT770s with a detachable cable. In all my research on DT770s, the 80ohm is said to have a different signature on account of having a different driver, but the others were said to be more or less identical.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 2, 2019

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

sauer kraut posted:

Cheers

I run a 300 Ohm HD6XX off a motherboard without issue, and have run the DT770 80 Ohm off it as well. My phone (Pixel) runs them alright as well. Until you're dealing with higher end headphones which can be more power hungry, amps aren't strictly necessary. Unless your motherboard is poo poo you'll be fine.

Also look into these as they're better than anything else in your price range. There are multiple models of the DT770 Pro and they sound slightly different: The 32 Ohm are the shittiest since the driver wasn't originally designed to run at such low impedance, and the 80 Ohm are the most popular as they have a unique frequency response compared to the others, generally flatter with better extended bass and less fatiguing treble. Only real weaknesses is no detachable cable, and the cable they come with is long. Sturdy tho.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 2, 2019

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I've still got a pair of Beyer 990s I bought a few years ago. Very comfy and sound great... for about 5 minutes then the treble starts murdering your ears and back into the box they go.

Who the gently caress listens to 990s apart from people with zero higher frequency response hearing?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

trem_two posted:

I've never heard them myself, but a budget option that people have good things to say about is the OneOdio Studio. They do ship with faux leather pads, but they probably could be replaced with foam or some other type of universal replacement pads. Might be worth looking into.

Thanks everyone, since my funds are tight atm I went with the "new + model" Studio Pro-50 Premium. I would not have stumbled upon/looked twice at those on Amazon myself.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Aug 2, 2019

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

DancingShade posted:

I've still got a pair of Beyer 990s I bought a few years ago. Very comfy and sound great... for about 5 minutes then the treble starts murdering your ears and back into the box they go.

Who the gently caress listens to 990s apart from people with zero higher frequency response hearing?

Beyerdynamic headphones all have a treble spike, to varying degrees, which I assume is there to give the impression of increased detail. I primarily purchased the DT770 as a closed back headphone for games, but ultimately it wasn't good enough at fine detail to give accurate positional cues so I returned them. In terms of accuracy for binaural recordings and games, I actually find my Etymotics are perfect.

DT770 was still better than poo poo like my old Corsair headset tho

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Wheeee posted:

DT770 was still better than poo poo like my old Corsair headset tho

High bar to clear.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
So.. I've got a weird one.

I can't get my headphones quiet enough. I like my hearing, I don't need them this loud. I could go down the rant path, where the engineers who do these things are just.. not understanding how audio works. But that's neither here nor there.

I want headphones, that are bluetooth, noise canceling, and can go quiet enough.

I currently use MPOW Wolverine earbuds, and MPOW M5 over the ear with noise cancelling.

Thanks everyone.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Expect to spend a shitload more money than on what you have now.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Nerobro posted:

I can't get my headphones quiet enough. I like my hearing, I don't need them this loud. I could go down the rant path, where the engineers who do these things are just.. not understanding how audio works. But that's neither here nor there.

I want headphones, that are bluetooth, noise canceling, and can go quiet enough.

I currently use MPOW Wolverine earbuds, and MPOW M5 over the ear with noise cancelling.

Thanks everyone.

grack posted:

Expect to spend a shitload more money than on what you have now.

yea this. depends on your preferences, but QC35II is probably the closest thing right now if NC is a must! otherwise if you're just wanting a good bluetooth headphone you won't need to crank, you'll need to sit and wait like the rest of us until the Hifiman Ananda Wireless finally drops. it won't be cheap (re: at least $900).

or alternatively if closed back is a must, you can get a pair of Focal Elegia's and get a bt module to plug them into.

the reason you're cranking it, and the same is true with all lovely headphones is that the FR is so bad that you feel as though you're missing detail unless you crank it. headphones that measure closer to the harman target curve are headphones you won't this much of an urge on.

5-HT fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 3, 2019

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I think... there's a bit of a miscommunication.

They won't go quiet enough. This has been a thing I've found with almost everything bluetooth. When i'm in "normal" environments, I have them down at volume setting 1. That's the thing, i'm not cranking them up.

The noise cancelling, over the ear ones, spend most of their time on notch 1, with the noise cancelling turned on. I wear them at work, where the a/c system, and some sort of whtie noise generator are running to try to make the open office more tolerable. NC turned off, I might be tempted to set them to notch 2. When I wear them in the data center, they're ~almost as good~ as wearing 3M 33db earplugs, with the side effect, of getting to listen to music or a podcast. In a cold aisle, I'll end up scooting the volume up to say.. notch 3 or 5.

The IEM style headphones, I get a real good seal (or sometimes I use custom silicone molds with them..) and those lived at notch 1, unless I was out riding my bicycle, where notch 5 or 6 was needed to get over wind noise. Silicone molds and IEMs even made me set my phones down at minimum volume when using the headphone jack.

I haven't read the million pages here, but making your own silicone molds for your headphones is easy, and awesome. Hopefully people here have detailed that.

The real answer ot my problem, might be an audio pre-processor on the phone to knock down the volume to half or whatever before it gets kicked out to the bluetooth feed.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Oh. What you meant to say was "they don't stop enough outside noise getting in, so I crank the volume"?

If that's all you really want wear regular IEMs with industrial over-ear hearing protection on top.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Hi friends, I need a recommendation.

Budget - Up to 350USD for a pair of headphones and 450USD for a headset. I really don't want to go north of that price also I expect them to last me a long time. Also I live in Oz.
Source - I'm building a new PC and it will have a SBx AE-5. So the ports are all 3.5mm. There is an amp for the headphone jack so it supports headphone with an impedance of 600ohms
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear, but I just want a good set of cans. I have a v.large head, so something that is loose fitting for most would be great for me
Preferred Tonal Balance - Even.
Past Headphones - I have a set of low end Razers. My standards are kind of low. My first time splashing out on something like this.
Preferred Music - Rock, classical and gaming.

Other poo poo: Also I would prefer the cable to be 1.8 meters or longer. Or it might not reach me from the computer placement. So any good headset or headphones would be nice. If you know a good standalone mic + headphone combo tell me about it please.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Ok. For Bluetooth, find the option to desync phone volume from headset volume. That way you can set both phone and headset volume separately. Then knock the headset volume all the way down and use the phone volume. See if that works.

Also on your phone you can usually change the step volume changes. I think the Samsung S9 can do it. PowerAmp can also do it on Android. Change the step so you can get a lower volume step.

Hope that helps.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Budzilla posted:

Budget - Up to 350USD for a pair of headphones and 450USD for a headset. I really don't want to go north of that price also I expect them to last me a long time. Also I live in Oz.
Source - I'm building a new PC and it will have a SBx AE-5. So the ports are all 3.5mm. There is an amp for the headphone jack so it supports headphone with an impedance of 600ohms
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear, but I just want a good set of cans. I have a v.large head, so something that is loose fitting for most would be great for me
Past Headphones - I have a set of low end Razers. My standards are kind of low. My first time splashing out on something like this.

Other poo poo: Also I would prefer the cable to be 1.8 meters or longer. Or it might not reach me from the computer placement. So any good headset or headphones would be nice. If you know a good standalone mic + headphone combo tell me about it please.

AKG 7XX I've really enjoyed for the positional audio in games, they're super comfy and I can wear them for 6+ hours straight. They use a mini XLR cable, and the replacement one I got for $14 from NewFantasia on Amazon have been awesome.

Use the other $100 for a yeti blue or shotgun mic since that's like $230 total?

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

I will look into the AKG 7XX. There doesn't seem to be many 3.5mm microphones on the market unless it is some cheap dodgy one :/

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Nerobro posted:

The real answer ot my problem, might be an audio pre-processor on the phone to knock down the volume to half or whatever before it gets kicked out to the bluetooth feed.

Volume on noise-cancelling, bluetooth headphones is going to be subject to a range of factors. Volume steps on the source, volume steps on the on-board amplifier, noise added from the NC processing, as well as isolation. Having fine-grained control over volume on a bluetooth set is rarely a prime consideration, especially for cheap headphones. Other factors take precedence like battery life/power draw, build quality, bluetooth implementation, controls and control logic etc.

There is no simple answer to your question besides "go to a store and try on literally every set of bluetooth headphones until you find one that works for you".

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
I've got a pair of ER3XRs and I'm thinking about getting a Bluetooth mmcx adapter for them. Does anyone have any experience with them or suggestions?

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Budzilla posted:

hifiman sundara + modmic

yvw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Nerobro posted:

Thanks everyone.

Suck it up about using a cable and get some Etymotics, they attenuate most sound better than ANC and allow you to listen at very low volumes while retaining excellent detail.